Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 263

Thread: SEC Overrated?

  1. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,457
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Come on man. How can you not be surprised with how A&M has performed in the SEC? They had been a middling Big 12 program for at least a decade, and no one knew that Manziel would be this good. I thought they would be fighting for a bowl game. As for Mizzou versus A&M, Mizzou had been a much better program recently than A&M. Franklin was coming off a good year, but he was injured all season. I definitely thought Missouri would have a better season than A&M, and I think almost everyone thought that.

    My points aren't an indictment on the SEC either. Sometimes a program gets tremendously lucky with a QB, and that can reverse fortunes. Look at Cam Newton at Auburn as an example. They were a decent team the year before, but a lucky QB addition changed everything.
    I think that's the point. No one expected A&M to do what they did, but that doesn't mean the SEC is "overrated".
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

    Love y'all!

    Except for all of y'all.

    #FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    10,379
    vCash
    1500
    Not many teams who arent in the SEC as of now could play those teams schedules and survive..

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenecaValley46 View Post
    Not many teams who arent in the SEC as of now could play those teams schedules and survive..
    once again, texas a&m did, and they were far from a dominant big 12 team
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,457
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    once again, texas a&m did, and they were far from a dominant big 12 team
    And once again, that's just one team who had a Heisman winner fall into their laps.

    One team going into a new conference and having success or failing miserable is never an indictment on that conference. Ever.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

    Love y'all!

    Except for all of y'all.

    #FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,170
    vCash
    1470
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    And once again, that's just one team who had a Heisman winner fall into their laps.

    One team going into a new conference and having success or failing miserable is never an indictment on that conference. Ever.
    I'll just point out again that Manziel didn't really play that well in 2 of A&M's 3 biggest games in the SEC but A&M's defense kept them in those games. You could almost point to the defense holding Alabama to 24 pts as a major factor in that huge upset as well. It wasn't just Johnny Football that succeeded in the SEC.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,457
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    I'll just point out again that Manziel didn't really play that well in 2 of A&M's 3 biggest games in the SEC but A&M's defense kept them in those games. You could almost point to the defense holding Alabama to 24 pts as a major factor in that huge upset as well. It wasn't just Johnny Football that succeeded in the SEC.
    Sure. That team has a ton of talent. I mean, they might have 3 top 10 draft picks in 2013. I've said over and over how talented that team is. I just don't think it's an indictment on anything. It's one lone team. You can't say definitively that this is a situation where the team really wasn't any better than it has been in recent years and thus the SEC is overrated, nor can you definitively say that this team really got a lot better this year and they would have clearly been the best team in the Big 12 (well, a bowl vs. OK might make that possible to know).

    We're going in circles here. If the only argument you have that the SEC is "overrated" is the A&M argument, well, that's about as flimsy as it gets. Find me when you have something that discredits:

    • 6 straight National Championships
    • 9-3 in BCS games since 2006
    • 243-45 in non-conference games (up until this season over that 6 year span)
    • a ridiculous superiority in terms of pipe-lining players to the NFL (have lead every conference the last 6 seasons in NFL draftees...40 a year on average)
    • the highest paid coaches are in the SEC (over 75% of the 12 highest paid)
    • The conference cleans up in Bowl Season. In those 6 years, every SEC team, including Mizzou and A&M, have won a bowl game and reached at least two bowls. No other conference can brag about that depth.
    • 5 teams are going to their 5th bowl in as many years.
    • Eight have been to 6 bowls in the last 9 years
    • They've won more bowl games and been to more bowl games than any other conference.
    • They haven't had a losing record in bowl season in over a decade. They do trail the Big East and MWC in bowl win % over that 6 year span, but I think we know why.


    36-19 in bowls.

    Pac-12 16-12
    Big 12 25-22
    ACC 19-31
    Big 10 17-30

    And so on, and so on and so on.

    You can complain about their cupcake OOC games during the regular season, but the bowl game evidence is compelling.

    All 9 SEC teams are favored in their bowls. We'll see how many upsets there are.

    Texas A&M coming in and exceeding expectations doesn't mean anything more than Texas A&M was better than we all thought. Yes, other conferences have talent, talent that can match up with SEC talent, but again, that doesn't make the SEC overrated. Its accolades and success speaks for itself.

    A&M having success doesn't nullify those facts. It doesn't make them not the best, because they so very clearly are. Maybe they aren't gods among men, but they definitely wear the big boy pants.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

    Love y'all!

    Except for all of y'all.

    #FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,772
    vCash
    1500
    Also, if you search long enough you are going to find blemishes in any conference. I think most would agree that the Pac-12 had their best year in quite awhile. Since that is the case, then how did a UCLA program that had been dormant for a long time become legitimate? A&M and UCLA were both energized by new head coaches that were changing the outlook of their programs, and exciting RS FR QBs. So, it seems very flawed to say that the SEC is overrated simply because a mediocre program had a huge turnaround. This happens more often than you would expect...
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  8. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Also, if you search long enough you are going to find blemishes in any conference. I think most would agree that the Pac-12 had their best year in quite awhile. Since that is the case, then how did a UCLA program that had been dormant for a long time become legitimate? A&M and UCLA were both energized by new head coaches that were changing the outlook of their programs, and exciting RS FR QBs. So, it seems very flawed to say that the SEC is overrated simply because a mediocre program had a huge turnaround. This happens more often than you would expect...
    but if it s amedicore program in a lesser conference that means they should be the doormate in the SEC if the SEC is that much better. The SEC can be botht he best conference and overrated. **** people act like the SEC can compete with the NFL as made obvious by the can bama beat the jags thread we had.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,457
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    but if it s amedicore program in a lesser conference that means they should be the doormate in the SEC if the SEC is that much better. The SEC can be botht he best conference and overrated. **** people act like the SEC can compete with the NFL as made obvious by the can bama beat the jags thread we had.
    Those people are idiots. If anyone really thinks that, well, they just don't get it.

    The natural problem with judging "ratedness" is that the population as a whole has those over overrate, and those who underrate...as well as those that rate fairly.

    So yes, some people overrate the SEC. And clearly some people underrate it. I guess a lot of this would be easier if we stated how exactly we do rate it.

    I'm not saying they can beat, or even hang with, NFL teams. I'm not sure if Jerry is saying the SEC is the best conference but only barely, or if he thinks they aren't even better than the other conferences.

    A&M was mediocre last season, and not mediocre in the SEC this year. Maybe they did just get substantially better? Maybe they didn't and you guys are right that the SEC isn't that great. Who really knows? Either way, one team switching conferences and exceeding or failing to meet expectations doesn't prove anything. That's all it comes down to. A&M's success are not - again - an indictment on anything.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

    Love y'all!

    Except for all of y'all.

    #FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,772
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    but if it s amedicore program in a lesser conference that means they should be the doormate in the SEC if the SEC is that much better. The SEC can be botht he best conference and overrated. **** people act like the SEC can compete with the NFL as made obvious by the can bama beat the jags thread we had.
    It's not the same program though. People forget that A&M was actually really talented last season also. They blew like 5 4th quarter leads, so with the right coach that team could have been an upper-echelon Big 12 team last season. Then they go out and hire Sumlin. This looks like a home run hire, and he's brought a different culture to Aggie Land than Sherman brought. Manziel falls into their laps, and is able to pick up Sumlin's offense quickly, plus A&M has top ten NFL draft talents in Joeckel and Moore. It isn't a fair correlation to scratch your head about their Big 12 success and their SEC success.


    However, I kind of see your point at the end. I do agree that the SEC can be a little bit overrated and also the best conference. I used to be in the camp of thinking the SEC was way overrated, but I've changed my tune after a few matchups between Oregon and the SEC...
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  11. #176
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,351
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Sure. That team has a ton of talent. I mean, they might have 3 top 10 draft picks in 2013. I've said over and over how talented that team is. I just don't think it's an indictment on anything. It's one lone team. You can't say definitively that this is a situation where the team really wasn't any better than it has been in recent years and thus the SEC is overrated, nor can you definitively say that this team really got a lot better this year and they would have clearly been the best team in the Big 12 (well, a bowl vs. OK might make that possible to know).

    We're going in circles here. If the only argument you have that the SEC is "overrated" is the A&M argument, well, that's about as flimsy as it gets. Find me when you have something that discredits:

    • 6 straight National Championships
    • 9-3 in BCS games since 2006
    • 243-45 in non-conference games (up until this season over that 6 year span)
    • a ridiculous superiority in terms of pipe-lining players to the NFL (have lead every conference the last 6 seasons in NFL draftees...40 a year on average)
    • the highest paid coaches are in the SEC (over 75% of the 12 highest paid)
    • The conference cleans up in Bowl Season. In those 6 years, every SEC team, including Mizzou and A&M, have won a bowl game and reached at least two bowls. No other conference can brag about that depth.
    • 5 teams are going to their 5th bowl in as many years.
    • Eight have been to 6 bowls in the last 9 years
    • They've won more bowl games and been to more bowl games than any other conference.
    • They haven't had a losing record in bowl season in over a decade. They do trail the Big East and MWC in bowl win % over that 6 year span, but I think we know why.


    36-19 in bowls.

    Pac-12 16-12
    Big 12 25-22
    ACC 19-31
    Big 10 17-30

    And so on, and so on and so on.

    You can complain about their cupcake OOC games during the regular season, but the bowl game evidence is compelling.

    All 9 SEC teams are favored in their bowls. We'll see how many upsets there are.

    Texas A&M coming in and exceeding expectations doesn't mean anything more than Texas A&M was better than we all thought. Yes, other conferences have talent, talent that can match up with SEC talent, but again, that doesn't make the SEC overrated. Its accolades and success speaks for itself.

    A&M having success doesn't nullify those facts. It doesn't make them not the best, because they so very clearly are. Maybe they aren't gods among men, but they definitely wear the big boy pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Also, if you search long enough you are going to find blemishes in any conference. I think most would agree that the Pac-12 had their best year in quite awhile. Since that is the case, then how did a UCLA program that had been dormant for a long time become legitimate? A&M and UCLA were both energized by new head coaches that were changing the outlook of their programs, and exciting RS FR QBs. So, it seems very flawed to say that the SEC is overrated simply because a mediocre program had a huge turnaround. This happens more often than you would expect...
    couldn't have said it better myself


    Cameron Jordan is awesome

    12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,351
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    However, I kind of see your point at the end. I do agree that the SEC can be a little bit overrated and also the best conference. I used to be in the camp of thinking the SEC was way overrated, but I've changed my tune after a few matchups between Oregon and the SEC...
    LSU changed your mind, huh? just don't fall back into the trap when Oregon runs over Tennessee next year. They suck


    Cameron Jordan is awesome

    12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,772
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250 View Post
    LSU changed your mind, huh? just don't fall back into the trap when Oregon runs over Tennessee next year. They suck
    Oh, I know Tennessee sucks. Oregon can compete with top-SEC schools, but they have to protect the pigskin if they want to do it. Making mistakes against Pac-12 schools is not that big of a deal usually, but it snowballs quickly against teams like LSU.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  14. #179
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Oh, I know Tennessee sucks. Oregon can compete with top-SEC schools, but they have to protect the pigskin if they want to do it. Making mistakes against Pac-12 schools is not that big of a deal usually, but it snowballs quickly against teams like LSU.
    Speaking of LSU......apparently the real Tigers are from Clemson!

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Speaking of LSU......apparently the real Tigers are from Clemson!
    finally they will lose their undeserved top 10 spot
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •