Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 263

Thread: SEC Overrated?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Its hard to fathom. You would think that the SEC has won 6-straight National Championships and the majority of their bowl games in that same span?

    This comes up every year and then the SEC wins the BCS and most of their bowl games. Nearly. Every. Year.

    If the other conferences are getting sick of it then maybe they can actually beat them in the BCS and bowl games instead of crying about it.
    not hard to do that when you have a spot locked in the game for winning the SEC
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,550
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    LSU is too high, georgia is too high, texas a&m should not count as an SEC team since they wer ein the big 12 last year.
    huh??? they played an SEC schedule this year and beat a #1 team. what does last year have to do with their achievements now?
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    The SEC is top heavy. they have a few great temas at the top of the conference, but middle down to the bottom is justy like every other confernce. SEC fans act like they are playing top ten teams in bloodbaths everyw eak, which is far from true. they may be the best conference, but they are not light years ahead of all the others like some people seem to think.



    and anyone using the rnaking arguement is stupid. SEC teams are ranked higher all the time because people assume SEC means they have played a brutal schedule. look at gerogia for example. number 3 in the county, and they played 2 good teams all year getting smacked by one of them. So why are the number 3? SEC bias and preception of being 14 power houses
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,550
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    not hard to do that when you have a spot locked in the game for winning the SEC
    still have to beat the other team in the NC game... which, outside of last year when it was all-SEC, they've done pretty easily (auburn-oregon was the one close game of the current winning streak).

    there are certainly arguments to be made about HOW MUCH better the SEC is than the rest of the country, but the numbers speak for themselves... most BCS titles by a mile, most BCS bowl victories by a mile, best BCS bowl game winning %...
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    huh??? they played an SEC schedule this year and beat a #1 team. what does last year have to do with their achievements now?
    that proves the SEC is overrated. they were in the big 12 last year, a suppsoedly inferior conference, and move to the SEC and immedatiely excel. how much better can the SEC really be if they can come in and do that?
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    still have to beat the other team in the NC game... which, outside of last year when it was all-SEC, they've done pretty easily (auburn-oregon was the one close game of the current winning streak).

    there are certainly arguments to be made about HOW MUCH better the SEC is than the rest of the country, but the numbers speak for themselves... most BCS titles by a mile, most BCS bowl victories by a mile, best BCS bowl game winning %...
    not all the time. there were 2 SEC schools in it last year. And them winning the game says nothing about the conference, just the two teams that are playing
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,550
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    The SEC is top heavy. they have a few great temas at the top of the conference, but middle down to the bottom is justy like every other confernce. SEC fans act like they are playing top ten teams in bloodbaths everyw eak, which is far from true. they may be the best conference, but they are not light years ahead of all the others like some people seem to think.



    and anyone using the rnaking arguement is stupid. SEC teams are ranked higher all the time because people assume SEC means they have played a brutal schedule. look at gerogia for example. number 3 in the county, and they played 2 good teams all year getting smacked by one of them. So why are the number 3? SEC bias and preception of being 14 power houses
    you're right... it's not like other teams from other conferences EVER get ranked above their true talent based on perception and past accomplishments (cough USC, cough FSU, cough ND most years, cough michigan...)
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,550
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    that proves the SEC is overrated. they were in the big 12 last year, a suppsoedly inferior conference, and move to the SEC and immedatiely excel. how much better can the SEC really be if they can come in and do that?
    if that "proves" they're overrated, i truly hope you become a lawyer and face me in court some day...

    you could just as easily look at mizzou and say the opposite... but, of course, that doesn't fit your narrative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    not all the time. there were 2 SEC schools in it last year. And them winning the game says nothing about the conference, just the two teams that are playing
    like i said, look at the numbers... you take out last season, and that's still 5 straight titles against the best from other conferences, all convincing wins save for the auburn title. that's still the best BCS bowl game winning % and overall victories.

    we all agree the SEC isn't some other-worldly conference from top to bottom. you seem to be arguing against no one on that point. but the numbers indicate that the SEC is, in fact, the best conference in the country and has been for the better part of the past decade.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power
    not hard to do that when you have a spot locked in the game for winning the SEC
    C'mon man, a Notre Dame fan is saying this? Whining about getting preferential treatment in BCS criteria? Seriously? You realize there are rules set up solely for the Irish to get a BCS bid, right?
    LSU is too high, georgia is too high
    I'm sure this is based on resume, but do you believe those teams jumping LSU and UGA would beat them head to head?
    texas a&m should not count as an SEC team since they wer ein the big 12 last year.
    ???
    that proves the SEC is overrated. they were in the big 12 last year, a suppsoedly inferior conference, and move to the SEC and immedatiely excel. how much better can the SEC really be if they can come in and do that?
    I don't get why you keep saying this. Many SEC fans said the conference is overrated this year, but this isn't the reason. A&M hit a homerun with their hire, Sumlin dominated at another school and got his dream job. Then he got a dynamic QB, much like UF with Tebow (ugh). Sumlin changed the culture. A&M previously had a reputation of a good team that always blew leads because they couldn't put together a good defense. Sumlin brought in his great offense, and built a good defense. He isn't getting enough credit.
    The SEC is top heavy. they have a few great temas at the top of the conference, but middle down to the bottom is justy like every other confernce.
    Again, disagree. I doubt most fans of UF, Bama, or LSU would say their current team is on the level of their recent teams. And UGA had a better group in '02 and comparable ones in '05 and '07. But all of the best in the SEC this season were involved in close games, no one just went out and dominated their schedule. Hence, no great teams.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-28-2012 at 12:27 PM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Does anyone in here actually believe this year's A&M wouldn't be in the same or an even better position if they were in the Big Ten, Pac-12 or still in the Big 12?

    Put Sumlin and Manziel on the same field against this year's Buckeyes, Oregon, or K-State with a conference title and BCS bid on the line, regardless of who is the home team. You don't think they could win 2 of those?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,729
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Bias aside I'd probably pick Oregon. I know someone mentioned something about ugly wins, but Oregon didn't really have any. Their closest win was by 10 points and that was after they give up a TD in garbage time. They lost by 3 to Stanford so even their one loss wasn't bad. That was the only bad game they played all year. Their loss looks better than Georgia's. They certainly pass the eye test too. Oregon had their chance and they lost, but I'd probably take them over Georgia (This isn't s slight to Georgia)
    I can understand the Oregon logic; however, the problem becomes Florida. Should a one loss Florida team be ranked higher than a one loss Oregon team? According to most people in this forum and the pundits, the answer is an unequivocal yes. Since Florida lost to Georgia, there is no way a one loss Georgia team gets ranked below a one loss Florida team; hence, the rankings. Florida above Oregon and Georgia above Florida. There is no other logical conclusion.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    28,524
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Its hard to fathom. You would think that the SEC has won 6-straight National Championships and the majority of their bowl games in that same span?

    This comes up every year and then the SEC wins the BCS and most of their bowl games. Nearly. Every. Year.

    If the other conferences are getting sick of it then maybe they can actually beat them in the BCS and bowl games instead of crying about it.
    Just to look at this more closely though here are their records vs conferences in those bowl games against BCS conferences (non BCS championship) since they won the NC game)

    ACC (8-4)
    Big East (1-3)
    Big Ten (8-7)
    Big 12 (7-2)

    Losing record against the Big East (worst conference ever!) and barely .500 against the most overrated conference ever!

    Done very poorly against the ACC too of recent 2-4 last three years.

    Yes the top of the SEC is VERY good, but the rest are severely overrated in most years. This year eh I dont know the rest of the country isn't that great. So yeah they probably deserve to all be up there.

    I am a BIG guy but I have been saying for years (maybe not this year) that once you get past the top team or two the conferences are very similar. The SEC is not as deep as everyone wants to think it is.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,729
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    The SEC is top heavy. they have a few great temas at the top of the conference, but middle down to the bottom is justy like every other confernce. SEC fans act like they are playing top ten teams in bloodbaths everyw eak, which is far from true. they may be the best conference, but they are not light years ahead of all the others like some people seem to think.

    and anyone using the rnaking arguement is stupid. SEC teams are ranked higher all the time because people assume SEC means they have played a brutal schedule. look at gerogia for example. number 3 in the county, and they played 2 good teams all year getting smacked by one of them. So why are the number 3? SEC bias and preception of being 14 power houses
    The SEC has 6 teams in the top 10. How in the world does that make the SEC top heavy? You want to talk about top heavy conferences. Big 10 - Michigan and Ohio State, occasionally Penn State; Big 12 - Texas and Oklahoma; Pac 12 - USC and Oregon; ACC - Florida State and Virginia Tech; Independent - Notre Dame and well, noone else. These are/were the consitent powerhouses in the those conferences, so how on earth is the SEC top heavy? It seems they have a more balanced conference than most others.
    The only one that I have seen in this forum that is trying to say that the SEC is light years above everyone else is you.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,729
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Does anyone in here actually believe this year's A&M wouldn't be in the same or an even better position if they were in the Big Ten, Pac-12 or still in the Big 12?

    Put Sumlin and Manziel on the same field against this year's Buckeyes, Oregon, or K-State with a conference title and BCS bid on the line, regardless of who is the home team. You don't think they could win 2 of those?
    Absolutely agree. Personally, I think they would be in a better position. Their only losses were against LSU and Florida. Teams they would not have been playing. A&M joins the SEC with a freshman QB that ends up being one of the best QBs in the nation - the top Heisman candidate. Take Manziel away from A&M and they are a mediocre team in the SEC at best.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    you're right... it's not like other teams from other conferences EVER get ranked above their true talent based on perception and past accomplishments (cough USC, cough FSU, cough ND most years, cough michigan...)
    i never said it doesn't happen, but it happens eveyr year with almost EVERY SEC team. and there a big difference about being over ranked before the seaosn as oppsoed to at the end when it effects bowl games
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •