Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Overrated?

vCash

SEC Overrated?

I look at the BCS Rankings and see 6 SEC teams in the top 14. I started trying to remember all those big non-conference games SEC teams must have won in order for them to all be ranked so high. So I did a little research and this was what I found:

Alabama-Michigan, Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Western Carolina

Arkansas-Jacksonville State, Tulsa-----lost to Louisiana-Monroe and Rutgers

Auburn-Louisiana-Monroe, New Mexico State, Alabama A&M----lost to Clemson

Florida-Bowling Green, Louisiana-Lafayette, Jacksonville State, Florida State

Georgia-Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech

Kentucky-Kent State, Samford----lost to Louisville and Western Kentucky

LSU-North Texas, Washington, Idaho, Towson

Mississippi State-Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee

Missouri-Southeast Louisiana, Arizona State, UCF---lost to Syracuse

Ole Miss-Central Arkansas, UTEP, Tulane---lost to Texas

South Carolina-East Carolina, UAB, Wofford, Clemson

Tennessee-North Carolina State, Georgia State, Akron, Troy

Texas A&M-SMU, South Carolina State, Louisiana Tech, Sam Houston State

Vanderbilt-Presbyterian, Massachusetts, Wake Forest---lost to Northwestern

So breaking it down the key wins for the SEC are Alabama over Michigan (8-4), Florida over Florida State (10-2), Georgia over Georgia Tech (6-6), LSU over Washington (7-5), Missouri over Arizona State (7-5), and South Carolina over Clemson (10-2).

There are really only 3 impressive wins in the bunch in my opinion, Florida State, Clemson, and Michigan-----the rest were mediocre to very bad teams.

So, why are there 6 SEC teams ranked in the BCS top 14 when the conference has such a dismal and unimpressive non-conference schedule? Is it because of past reputation? Could it be their bowl games performances, which all happen to be in SEC states?

vCash
    Perception is reality. Until other top teams (Ohio State, Oregon, Oklahoma, etc) start beating the SEC's best nothing will change.

vCash
    The SEC lives entirely on reputation, perception, and consistently having 2 legit top 5 teams. The conference as a entire entity is disturbingly over rated, thank you ESPN and your biased programing/commentators.

vCash
    I am a Razorback fan but even I must admit that the majority of SEC is not nearly as good as ESPN's hype machine trys to convince everyone they are. They should not have that many teams ranked at all let alone as high as they are.

vCash
    You do realize they play easier non-conference games because their in season opponents are that much tougher than most of the other programs and conferences, right?

You need to make sure you have a few wins in hand when you know that, no matter what, you're going to get a few top 15 teams on your schedule every year and a possible surprise top 15 team (like an A&M or Miss St).

There is, however, a big disparity between the top and the bottom. You've got about half the teams who are awesome.....then you have your UT's, Arkansas, UK and Ole Miss right now....who are just plain out bad.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Except no one knows they have a hard in conference schedule because they never face good out of conference teams ever since got tired of USC embarrassing them and teamed with ESPN to create a myth of how good they are without proving it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shen View Post
    Except no one knows they have a hard in conference schedule because they never face good out of conference teams ever since got tired of USC embarrassing them and teamed with ESPN to create a myth of how good they are without proving it.
    Except in the National Championship game and they won the last 6. Frankly, that speaks volumes, no matter how much everyone tries to downplay it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shen
    Except no one knows they have a hard in conference schedule because they never face good out of conference teams
    Some teams like Bama and LSU travel to play other major conference teams. Others face ACC/in-state rivals every year who should be holding up their end of the bargain. It's not the SEC's fault those teams suck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shen View Post
    I'm sorry, but the SEC doesn't owe it to anyone (no team does) to "prove it". They do that in the bowl games. And if they weren't as good as they are, they wouldn't win the Title game every year. The regular season is a tool to get to the Title. With the playoff system being implemented, we'll then have the playoffs to "prove it".

The one thing I'll give NCAAF is they usually get the best two teams to face off in the title game. The best of the SEC beats the best of anyone else usually. Not always. But usually.

This year, who is realistically better than Alabama, Florida, Georgia and SC? How many teams are better than the first 3? Notre Dame? Maybe better then two of them. Stanford? Oregon? K-State? Who's better? That's kind of the problem. I think this year, Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida and Georgia are the four best teams. It's really hard to call the SEC overrated having 3 of the top 4.

Again, they're very top heavy. You've got 4-6 teams who...well...suck. And suck bad. So in the sense that it's the deepest conference....I'd agree in claiming it's overrated in that sense. It is top heavy. But the conference on the whole has a handful of the best teams in it, and no other conference can say that, either.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Below is a list of the top 15 teams in the nation. Now I am just curious. Which SEC teams are ranked too high? Which ones shouldn't be in the top 10?

1) Notre Dame (12-0)
    2) Alabama (11-1)
    3) Georgia (11-1)
    4) Florida (11-1)
    5) Oregon (11-1)
    6) Kansas St. (10-1)
    7) LSU (10-2)
    8) Stanford (10-2)
    9) Texas A&M (10-2)
    10) South Carolina (10-2)
    11) Oklahoma (9-2)
    12) Nebraska (10-2)
    13) Florida St. (10-2)
    14) Clemson (10-2)
    15) Oregon St. (8-3)
    Last edited by Wingman; 11-27-2012 at 10:44 PM.

vCash
    I admitted every year SEC has two legit top 5 teams. I am not denying that. Usually some combo of Alabama, LSU, and Florida. However rest conference including my Hogs are usually above average but not stop 15 worthy. This year little stronger then others but still over rated.

vCash
    I have a problem with any team not playing division 1 teams. But that's not just SEC almost every team outside of ND does that. I do have a huge problem with SEC then doing it again with 2 weeks left in the season. That said the SEC has played outside Oregon played them and got beaten. Bama scheduled michigan who yes we all know is such a bad team, except you know they have played 3 of arguably the best 5-6 teams, now they lost but if Michigan doesn't schedule Bama and ND and Denard doesn't get hurt who knows they might have 1 loss maybe 0. The SEC has proved they are dominant with the bowl and bcs wins and the title wins. We will see if their dominance continues. I do think overall this is a weaker SEC conference then the past usual teams of the past decade. That said overall this hasn't been a great year of dominant teams in football.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Who does the Pac 10 play out of conference? Oregon plays no body outside of conference this year. Stanford and USC have their contracts with ND who yea this year is right now the best team but if it's the past 8 out of 10 that's not a good team to have on your schedule (I'll admit it we ranged from suck to average to ok top 20-25 team)
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    It is a shame there isn't an 8 team playoff system in place with the conference championships being scrapped.

ND would be playing Stanford in a rematch
    Bama would get LSU, again
    Georgia would get Kansas State
    Florida and Oregon would play

Oh well, one can only hope that an 8 team playoff system will ultimately be implemented instead of the proposed 4 team system.

vCash
    Its hard to fathom. You would think that the SEC has won 6-straight National Championships and the majority of their bowl games in that same span?

This comes up every year and then the SEC wins the BCS and most of their bowl games. Nearly. Every. Year.

If the other conferences are getting sick of it then maybe they can actually beat them in the BCS and bowl games instead of crying about it.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast