Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash

David Wright: Reports Are Inaccurate

David Wright coming out to say he is disappointed in these reports is alarming.

We don't know what was really offered, but now we know the front office has pissed Wright off.

This is a bad sign.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    David Wright coming out to say he is disappointed in these reports is alarming.

We don't know what was really offered, but now we know the front office has pissed Wright off.

This is a bad sign.
    I think he's disappointed that these reports went public, I wouldn't call it "Pissed". I always wondered who the leak was?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    The reports are too orchestrated to be disparate rumors. This is a PR move by the Mets. Remember what happened last year? The team stayed mum on the specifics of the Reyes talks, and it blew up in their faces when Jose told everyone they never made an offer. Whether or not it was true is irrelevant; the Mets were the ones forced to explain themselves, and their spokesman is basically the punchline to a lawyer joke. Have you ever heard Sandy Alderson give a straight answer to anything?

So they smartened up. The finish line is in sight, and they're not going to let David or his people intimate (or, as was the case with Jose, say outright) that the negotiations weren't in good-faith, or that the offer wasn't good. If David turns them down, we're going to know what he walked away from.

My hope is that this was a proactive measure meant to put pressure on David as they prepare their final offer, but the language in the response from Wright's camp makes me think this is the Mets simply covering their butts, and that he's already turned them down. I have a sneaking suspicion that David is giving them the opposite of a hometown discount--he's telling them "If you want me to stick around through this rebuild, you gotta pay for it." That's where the "I want to finish my career here" talk comes from. He's probably looking for an 8- or 9-year contract from the Mets, but would take less on the open market.
    I think there is definitely some truth to this. The problem is Reyes and Wright have two completely different personalities. Reyes wanted to feel wanted and have stuff in the media etc. Wright seems more like a guy who keeps his personal business to himself. Hopefully if the Mets did leak this which I think they did Wright doesn't get pissed off.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    I know we know for sure the Mets have once again failed to act with any alacrity, with RA or DW. It's a mess - again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I think he's disappointed that these reports went public, I wouldn't call it "Pissed". I always wondered who the leak was?
    David Wright has been a good soldier his entire career. He has never once come out and said anything to even hint towards negative feelings he may be harboring.

That he voluntarily came out and said the fact that the information out there was inaccurate, and that he was disappointed it went public speaks volumes.

Leaking the numbers when he obviously demanded confidentiality from the processs is a ridiculous thing to do. At best it's a PR blunder. At worst it's a calculated PR move to start blaming the player when they know they're not going to sign him.

I'm losing hope this is going to get done.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    There is nothing good about the Mets going public with the numbers and omitting the deferral piece. I hope I'm wrong but this smells like PR damage control over what they suspect will happen.

vCash
    metsblog
    The Mets and David Wright’s agents are having a disagreement about deferred money in the proposed contract, Mike Puma reports in the New York Post, according to an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations.

Puma believes the contract offered to Wright translates to significantly less dollars in the short term, although its unclear as to how much money would be deferred.

Yesterday, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported the Mets offered a seven-year contract extension, worth between $119-129 million beginning after 2013.
    This is not going well.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I don't think this offer of 7 years for 135 million is correct. if it is why in the world would he not sign it. Unless he would not be getting all the money in the 7 years.

vCash
    Brian Costa ‏@BrianCostaWSJ
    I asked Wright to clarify what, amid varying reports, he feels is inaccurate. He politely declined.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Leaking the numbers when he obviously demanded confidentiality from the processs is a ridiculous thing to do. At best it's a PR blunder. At worst it's a calculated PR move to start blaming the player when they know they're not going to sign him.

I honestly thought this kind of buffoonery wouldn't happen under Alderson. How silly and naive of me.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I guess money does matter to David.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I guess money does matter to David.
    You mean it's not the direction of the team he's concerned with?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I've never understood why it is OK for money to matter to owners but not to players. I know it matters to me.

vCash
    David Wright has been a good soldier his entire career. He has never once come out and said anything to even hint towards negative feelings he may be harboring.

That he voluntarily came out and said the fact that the information out there was inaccurate, and that he was disappointed it went public speaks volumes.

Here is what is bizarre, why would David use MLBTR to deliver his quote. Rubin, Costa, Lennon or any other local papers could have easily done that and he has a rapport with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I've never understood why it is OK for money to matter to owners but not to players. I know it matters to me.
    Of course it matters, I just find it funny when people say it doesn't when in fact it does.
    Last edited by Claymation; 11-28-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast