Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 81
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    metsblog


    Let the posturing continue.

    FWIW, I don't see how anyone can fault a man who believes he has earned a certain amount of money, for not wanting to sign a backloaded deal with lots of deferred money.

    If you think you're worth $140 million dollars (or whatever the number) you think you're worth that money as soon as you can get it. And at that level of income, you can turn it into considerably more with proper investing.

    Why would you be ok with a team holding on to your money? Why should they earn the interest on money you believe you have earned?

    Can't fault Wright if he hedges at this approach. I hope it is properly addressed.




    Any why would anyone trust the Coupons with THEIR deferred money, they're crooks after all.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    82,333
    vCash
    1500

    David Wright: Reports Are Inaccurate / Argument is over deferred money (post 22)

    The Wilpon's always trying to pay later. Man good thing they did not borrow money from loan sharks.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,335
    vCash
    1500
    We were doing this before the financial issues.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,335
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    [/B]


    Any why would anyone trust the Coupons with THEIR deferred money, they're crooks after all.
    So now your saying they won't be able to pay contracts?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,821
    vCash
    1500
    It's unreal how in one thread I see people complaining to get him signed, stop being cheap, etc. and then in this thread I see the same people saying how could we be so stupid, he doesn't deserve that contract, we should trade him for prospects, etc

    Are people ****ing stupid? Pick a side and stick to it. Bottom line is this is our franchise player. For better or worse this is the guy the organization has decided to build around and yeah, he is by far our best player. Trading for prospects is a crap shoot. How'd this prospects the Marlins got for Miggy work out? The headliners of that trade were Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller. How about our own "can't miss prospects" or Lastings Milledge and Fernando Martinez? Remember when people didn't wanna trade Milledge straight up for a close to prime Manny? Anyone still argue that would have been a bad deal for us?

    The bottom line is that Wright is the face of the franchise and the captain of this team. You know that he's gonna bat around .300 hit about 20-25 homers and drive in around 100 runs. Can we guarantee that anyone we get back in a trade for him will do that? No. I'm all for not over paying people, but in this day and age EVERYONE of these players gets overpaid. Keep our captain and stop *****ing about money that isn't even ours to spend.

    I swear some people just want and need to ***** and can't be happy about anything
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”



    There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!


    Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"


    New York Giants-2012 World Champions

    SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    32,615
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    It's unreal how in one thread I see people complaining to get him signed, stop being cheap, etc. and then in this thread I see the same people saying how could we be so stupid, he doesn't deserve that contract, we should trade him for prospects, etc

    Are people ****ing stupid? Pick a side and stick to it. Bottom line is this is our franchise player. For better or worse this is the guy the organization has decided to build around and yeah, he is by far our best player. Trading for prospects is a crap shoot. How'd this prospects the Marlins got for Miggy work out? The headliners of that trade were Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller. How about our own "can't miss prospects" or Lastings Milledge and Fernando Martinez? Remember when people didn't wanna trade Milledge straight up for a close to prime Manny? Anyone still argue that would have been a bad deal for us?

    The bottom line is that Wright is the face of the franchise and the captain of this team. You know that he's gonna bat around .300 hit about 20-25 homers and drive in around 100 runs. Can we guarantee that anyone we get back in a trade for him will do that? No. I'm all for not over paying people, but in this day and age EVERYONE of these players gets overpaid. Keep our captain and stop *****ing about money that isn't even ours to spend.

    I swear some people just want and need to ***** and can't be happy about anything
    Seeing and recognizing that there are two valid sides to an issue does not make one stupid. Yes, on one hand, we have David Wright, arguably the best offensive player in team history, deserving a large extension to remain a Met. On the other hand, we have a player who has been inconsistent for the last 4 seasons which makes it a valid point to question whether we should lock him up for the rest of his career.

    My take is that we should re-sign him because the chances of finding a third baseman as good as Wright, despite his inconsistency, are nil. On the other hand, because there always is another hand, it would also be wise to make the right deal for him.

    But I think the better of the two options is to extend him even if I do acknowledge the benefits of trading him.

    And for the record, everything i just wrote about Wright can also be said about RA Dickey, other than the inconsistency.
    "Gods always behave like the people who make them."

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,821
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Seeing and recognizing that there are two valid sides to an issue does not make one stupid. Yes, on one hand, we have David Wright, arguably the best offensive player in team history, deserving a large extension to remain a Met. On the other hand, we have a player who has been inconsistent for the last 4 seasons which makes it a valid point to question whether we should lock him up for the rest of his career.

    My take is that we should re-sign him because the chances of finding a third baseman as good as Wright, despite his inconsistency, are nil. On the other hand, because there always is another hand, it would also be wise to make the right deal for him.

    But I think the better of the two options is to extend him even if I do acknowledge the benefits of trading him.

    And for the record, everything i just wrote about Wright can also be said about RA Dickey, other than the inconsistency.
    My apologies FoC, I didn't mean that seeing both sides of the coin makes anyone stupid. I meant the complete emotional over reaction did. Going from one second calling the FO terrible for not getting it done, then turning on them and over reacting about the amount of the deal and again calling the FO terrible. You can't have it both ways. You can be upset that you think the deal is too much, but you can't have it both ways. Either you want him back and you accept that there will be an over payment, or you don't want him back. It's not fair to jump on the FO no matter what they do. As many times as they have burned us in the past, we have to trust that they are doing what they believe is best for the team.

    And to clarify, you were not one of the posters I was referencing. I always enjoy your posts as you always seem to have an even keeled response. I just hate the back and forth that some posters seem to have. They seem to ***** no matter what the FO decides and it is in my words "****ing stupid" hahaha
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”



    There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!


    Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"


    New York Giants-2012 World Champions

    SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    vCash
    1500
    I really hate this Mets practice of backloading and deferring money to a point where payments will not equate to production on the field. We know that in 2018 we will be hearing that they cannot afford to spend until they get Wright's "bad" contract off the books. This is different than what the marlins did with Reyes because they knew they would trade Reyes before the back end and Wright has no-trade protection.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,517
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I really hate this Mets practice of backloading and deferring money to a point where payments will not equate to production on the field. We know that in 2018 we will be hearing that they cannot afford to spend until they get Wright's "bad" contract off the books. This is different than what the marlins did with Reyes because they knew they would trade Reyes before the back end and Wright has no-trade protection.


    will u hate it when it proves to give them more $$$ to spend on players to put around wright and the team takes off?
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    will u hate it when it proves to give them more $$$ to spend on players to put around wright and the team takes off?
    Do you really think the Mets are going to be doing any real spending on new players? I think they have made pretty clear that this is not going to happen.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    32,615
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    My apologies FoC, I didn't mean that seeing both sides of the coin makes anyone stupid. I meant the complete emotional over reaction did. Going from one second calling the FO terrible for not getting it done, then turning on them and over reacting about the amount of the deal and again calling the FO terrible. You can't have it both ways. You can be upset that you think the deal is too much, but you can't have it both ways. Either you want him back and you accept that there will be an over payment, or you don't want him back. It's not fair to jump on the FO no matter what they do. As many times as they have burned us in the past, we have to trust that they are doing what they believe is best for the team.

    And to clarify, you were not one of the posters I was referencing. I always enjoy your posts as you always seem to have an even keeled response. I just hate the back and forth that some posters seem to have. They seem to ***** no matter what the FO decides and it is in my words "****ing stupid" hahaha
    LOL, since I often waffle too many times on issues, I couldn't help but see myself in your post. You're right, too many times we take a damned if they do, damned if they don't approach when the fact is there just is no simple answer either way.

    I think we can all be excused though for our negative perception of the Wilpons. They've done precious little over the years to inspire confidence.
    "Gods always behave like the people who make them."

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,335
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I really hate this Mets practice of backloading and deferring money to a point where payments will not equate to production on the field. We know that in 2018 we will be hearing that they cannot afford to spend until they get Wright's "bad" contract off the books. This is different than what the marlins did with Reyes because they knew they would trade Reyes before the back end and Wright has no-trade protection.
    This isn't a Mets practice. This is a practice in all of sports.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,517
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    Do you really think the Mets are going to be doing any real spending on new players? I think they have made pretty clear that this is not going to happen.

    oh i forgot 140 mill contracts don't say anything.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,184
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    And for the record, everything i just wrote about Wright can also be said about RA Dickey, other than the inconsistency.
    Dickey is consistent? He seems to be consistent within a season, but last season was by far his best, the year before was by far his 2nd best, and he's had many terrible years.

    I think he'll be mostly good moving forward, probably have campaigns that are a cross between his 2011 and 2012 seasons, but consistent? Not so much.
    Sandy is a proven liar and a shill for the worst ownership in baseball

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    oh i forgot 140 mill contracts don't say anything.

    But how does that get us the additional players to turn the team into a contender as you suggested they would do with the near term savings fromthe deferral?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •