Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    The only thing I wanted to find out is whether the deal is legit, and the deal is legit. Does he want to stay? I would think he does. I would categorize them as being very close. I would think that this contract is gonna get it done.
    -Francessa

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    To say Wright is not a good player is just stupid
    -Francessa

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    was there a report that said where the leaks came from cuz to the best of my knowledge there hasn't been. maybe wright is pissed becuz his camp leaked.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Niese: Wright wants to be Mets' Chipper
    During a visit to pitch in with cleanup efforts in Long Beach, Long Island, Jon Niese said he would be surprised if David Wright did not remain a Met long term.

"He's a guy that leads by example -- kind of like Chipper did with Atlanta," Niese said Wednesday afternoon. "I know he wants to be what Chipper was in Atlanta. He wants to be -- he is -- the face of the franchise. And he wants to be a part of it throughout his whole career. You have to respect a guy like that."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Just get it done Whimpons!

If We Can't Get Tulo Then Sign This Free Agent For Shortstop

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    DPLennon The horror! RT @TBTimes_Rays: Details of Longoria deal incl deferrals, a reduced salary + increased signing bonus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    DPLennon The horror! RT @TBTimes_Rays: Details of Longoria deal incl deferrals, a reduced salary + increased signing bonus
    I don't understand what Wrights hesitation with deferrals contract wise.

He could make significantly more money at the end of his career and its not like its uncommon to do such a thing with larger end deals.

Considering most contracts are backloaded anyway.

vCash
    You would also think he would do it to help the team out short term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    You would also think he would do it to help the team out short term.
    He doesn't care about the team, he only cares about himself, like most/all players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't understand what Wrights hesitation with deferrals contract wise.

He could make significantly more money at the end of his career and its not like its uncommon to do such a thing with larger end deals.

Considering most contracts are backloaded anyway.
    Well its probably his agents and not really him dealing with this type of thing. But it does depend on how much is deferred. If there is a huge deferral then he's losing money since money today is worth more than that same money is years from now.

Unless either side is being completely crazy about this and wanting some kind of extreme pattern of payment...if the stories are true that its just about deferrals it seems like this is a good sign. I would think something like this is commonplace in most negotiations and one of the details that starts to get worked out after the general parameters of a deal are agreed upon.

vCash
    Has it even been confirmed that this offer is true?
    Let's not thrash Wright over this.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Has it even been confirmed that this offer is true?
    Let's not thrash Wright over this.
    Nobody on the Mets has given any official comment on it...other than maybe "no comment" (though they are the ones that probably leaked it). Most reporters seem to be pretty insistent that it is true and are sticking to the story...so it probably is true. But if one is to fully believe those reports in their entirety...those reports included the detail that this offer was just made yesterday....and if thats the case its way too early for people to have started "thrashing" Wright over it (which seemed to start even last night). With big deals like this...even if the basics are agreed upon there are always various details to be worked out. Even if Wright's side loved the parameters of the offer...its not likely that everything would be worked out in an hour and they'd be flying to NY to sign the deal that night.
    Last edited by Raspy44; 11-29-2012 at 02:09 AM.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN For economists out there I'll note: present value of deferred money is lot closer than when discount rate was based on Madoff returns.

vCash
    metsblog
    The Mets current seven-year, $124 million offer to David Wright is believed to be their final offer, and it is back-loaded in a way that is similar to last year’s deal between the Marlins and Jose Reyes, Andy Martino of the Daily News reported this morning.

Though it is not know how Wright’s deal is structured, Cot’s Baseball Contracts says Reyes will earn $10 million the first two years of his current deal, then $16 million in 2014 and $22 million each of the last three seasons.

According to Martino’s sources, the Mets are now waiting for a response from Wright.

“I think both parties want this to work,” one rival executive familiar with the situation told Martino. “They’re not going to let this break down over details.”
    Let the posturing continue.

FWIW, I don't see how anyone can fault a man who believes he has earned a certain amount of money, for not wanting to sign a backloaded deal with lots of deferred money.

If you think you're worth $140 million dollars (or whatever the number) you think you're worth that money as soon as you can get it. And at that level of income, you can turn it into considerably more with proper investing.

Why would you be ok with a team holding on to your money? Why should they earn the interest on money you believe you have earned?

Can't fault Wright if he hedges at this approach. I hope it is properly addressed.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Great, so in years to come where he's least productive we'll have even less money to spend.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast