Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,734
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I've never understood why it is OK for money to matter to owners but not to players. I know it matters to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Of course it matters, I just find it funny when people say it isn't when in fact it is.
    Precisely. Every f-ing year we hear about top players talking about how winning is more important to them than money.

    Rubbish.

    And what's even more annoying about the whole thing is exactly what Milo said: There is nothing wrong with that! Just be honest about it already.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,472
    vCash
    1500
    I think someone in the Mets FO leaked the information, because it takes the pressure the Mets and puts it squarely on David to sign. Fans were questioning why the Mets haven't offered a deal to David prior to yesterday.

    Now they are questioning why David is haggling over deferments.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,845
    vCash
    1500
    Yes, fans don't understand that deferring the money is the same as reducing the money.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    I don't believe anything until I hear it from Dick Young.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,444
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I think someone in the Mets FO leaked the information, because it takes the pressure the Mets and puts it squarely on David to sign. Fans were questioning why the Mets haven't offered a deal to David prior to yesterday.

    Now they are questioning why David is haggling over deferments.
    If they had a track record of handling these situations well I'd agree with you clay.

    But I don't think I'm the only Mets fan who honestly feels this is just more of the same PR crap the Mets pull when they are preparing the fanbase for disappointment.

    That David Wright said anything at all to indicate his displeasure is very significant. It's simply not his usual way. And it makes me think he is just the latest in a series of players to be on the receiving end of the calculated PR moves by this organization.

    This just doesn't feel right.
    Go Grab My Belt

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    78,918
    vCash
    1500

    David Wright: Reports Are Inaccurate / Argument is over deferred money (post 22)

    Mets learned from their Reyes debacle, now fans cannot blame them for not offering a deal. If Wright does not sign and leaves, they can say at least we tried and offered him a fair deal something they did not do with Reyes.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    If they had a track record of handling these situations well I'd agree with you clay.

    But I don't think I'm the only Mets fan who honestly feels this is just more of the same PR crap the Mets pull when they are preparing the fanbase for disappointment.

    That David Wright said anything at all to indicate his displeasure is very significant. It's simply not his usual way. And it makes me think he is just the latest in a series of players to be on the receiving end of the calculated PR moves by this organization.

    This just doesn't feel right.
    I disagree, I think David is signed this off season.

    RA is a different story.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,658
    vCash
    1500
    This is a poor resigning. He should be traded or let walk. He is in no way shape or from worth that amount of money. Mets need a lot of help in a lot of areas. Better to tear it all down and invest in consistent players. Wright is not one of those guys.
    AS MJ WOULD SAY " IS THIS SIGNATURE IN VIOLATION NOW..."

    "Isiah's about as safe as me in a room full of cookies, If I'm in a room full of cookies the cookies ain't got no chance." --- Sir Charles

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,904
    vCash
    1500
    If they are down to debating about deferrals, that has to mean they are pretty close. As low as interest rates are, deferrals won't change the value too much.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,874
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    This is a poor resigning. He should be traded or let walk. He is in no way shape or from worth that amount of money. Mets need a lot of help in a lot of areas. Better to tear it all down and invest in consistent players. Wright is not one of those guys.
    No its not.

    Wright is the face of thr franchise, had a very good season last year, and prospects in return for him don't guarantee a successful return.

    I hate to burst your bubble but all big time free agents are overpaid and we know what to expect out of Wright.

    If he isn't worth overpaying who is?

    The FA market next year is highlighted by Corey Hart and Jacoby Ellsbury in terms of outfielders.

    There are no Carlos Beltrans in their prime coming down the pipeline and there are no guarantees Wilmer Flores is an adequate replacement for Wright.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I guess money does matter to David.
    It matters more to the Coupons.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I honestly thought this kind of buffoonery wouldn't happen under Alderson. How silly and naive of me.
    Spindy is just a puppet as far as major deals go, the imbecile child is behind this, it smells to me like the Mets are trying to mess it up so they can blame DW, they got caned for not making an offer to Jose, they don't want to get caught out like that again.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,067
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    If they had a track record of handling these situations well I'd agree with you clay.

    But I don't think I'm the only Mets fan who honestly feels this is just more of the same PR crap the Mets pull when they are preparing the fanbase for disappointment.

    That David Wright said anything at all to indicate his displeasure is very significant. It's simply not his usual way. And it makes me think he is just the latest in a series of players to be on the receiving end of the calculated PR moves by this organization.

    This just doesn't feel right.
    Well in all likelihood this stuff was released and leaked by the Mets to make them look good. The question is just... is it completely made up and the Mets are trying to make it look like they made a good offer when they didn't... or if its a matter of the Mets making the offer and wanting to make sure they get the positive PR for doing so?

    I think the latter is correct and there probably was an offer made close to what has been reported and DW is just annoyed by the fact that everything went public when he didn't want it to be. And really what he said about there being inaccurate reports is true even if there is truth to one or more of the reports....there were so many different stories out there some were liable to be inaccurate.

    Either way I think its a dumb move by the Mets. No need to try to make a public thing of this. Unless they dished this offer out weeks and weeks ago (which contradicts the reports saying the offer was just made) and did this b/c they are tired of waiting (though there are probably better ways to handle it).... its pretty lame of them to leak this and make everything into a PR sideshow.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,734
    vCash
    1500
    While it's always hard to know the genesis of these things, shame on the Mets if they played any proactive part in these reports. Shame on them. David Wright deserves much more respect.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,472
    vCash
    1500
    I was a little surprised by some of the comments from the Wright camp, but it's posturing.
    -Mike Francessa


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •