Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

David Wright: Reports Are Inaccurate / Argument is over deferred money (post 22)

Mets third baseman David Wright offered commentary on the slew of reports from earlier today regarding his rumored contract negotiations, telling MLBTR, "I have said from Day 1 that I want to play my entire career with the New York Mets. I remain hopeful that goal can be achieved. However, I am disappointed by the reports that I have read today which are inaccurate," said Wright.

Nothing is imminent, agent Seth Levinson explained to MLBTR: “Discussions with the Mets are ongoing. We don’t anticipate a deal any time soon. However, things can always change. I will not characterize the negotiations or comment on the accuracy or inaccuracy of what is being reported," Levinson said.

Wright finished out the 2012 season with a .306/.391/.492 batting line and 21 home runs in 670 plate appearances.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...DsxQZB6xEKS.99

vCash
    So that will mean he'll sign for less?

vCash
    Jon Heyman is on WFAN atm and still claims the offer is for seven years, $135m plus. All reports are rumors only until an official announcement has been made. Goofball journalism at its finest.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Just going to have to wait this one out. There's nothing that can be said about this until an official report surfaces. I have faith a deal will get done, things are starting to heat up.

www.DailyStache.net You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

vCash
    So no offered contract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Jon Heyman is on WFAN atm and still claims the offer is for seven years, $135m plus. All reports are rumors only until an official announcement has been made. Goofball journalism at its finest.
    Indeed. All my fellow Facebook Met Fans are treating the report of 135-140 mill as gospel.

If it were real, I'm sure we would have heard reports of a pending press conference around now.

David Wright signs for 140 mill. Of that i am sure.

But im not so sure about how much the Mets will offer.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Sick Of It All, that makes two of us. It's hard to tell Wright from wrong.

I guess we'll just have to wait as things play out. Meanwhile, it seems the Mets won't do much of anything until the Wright thing (and maybe the Dickey thing) is finally resolved.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Wright and his agent won't say anything because the Mets and Wright/agents said they won't do this publicly.

Wrights agent said he won't comment either way. Wright said reports are inaccurate, but which ones because there have been 3-4 different reports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Wright and his agent won't say anything because the Mets and Wright/agents said they won't do this publicly.

Wrights agent said he won't comment either way. Wright said reports are inaccurate, but which ones because there have been 3-4 different reports.
    That there are 3-4 different reports floating around leads me to believe they're all off base.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    That there are 3-4 different reports floating around leads me to believe they're all off base.
    The funny thing is he will most likely be signing for one of those reported deals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    The funny thing is he will most likely be signing for one of those reported deals.
    Yeah. Doesn't mean that any of them happen to be on the table at this moment.

vCash
    Hard to know what is true.

He didn't say all the reports were completely wrong. He just said he was
    "disappointed in the reports that were inaccurate." Since there were about 5 different reports out there...even if one was true...that would still be a number of inaccurate reports out there and he probably is getting a bunch of questions about what is going on.

My guess (not that I have any inside knowledge) is that at least one of the reports is accurate (or close to accurate) and its about what the Mets have offered or will soon offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Indeed. All my fellow Facebook Met Fans are treating the report of 135-140 mill as gospel.

If it were real, I'm sure we would have heard reports of a pending press conference around now.

David Wright signs for 140 mill. Of that i am sure.

But im not so sure about how much the Mets will offer.
    But if the reports are true...those offers were just made (or about to be made) today. Baseball contracts don't generally get agreed upon and then announced that quickly. Even if the general parameters were agreed upon there are always other details to be worked out (no trade clauses, any deferrments, etc.) that would take some more time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspy44 View Post
    But if the reports are true...those offers were just made (or about to be made) today. Baseball contracts don't generally get agreed upon and then announced that quickly. Even if the general parameters were agreed upon there are always other details to be worked out (no trade clauses, any deferrments, etc.) that would take some more time
    fair points all. Good call.

vCash
    The reports are too orchestrated to be disparate rumors. This is a PR move by the Mets. Remember what happened last year? The team stayed mum on the specifics of the Reyes talks, and it blew up in their faces when Jose told everyone they never made an offer. Whether or not it was true is irrelevant; the Mets were the ones forced to explain themselves, and their spokesman is basically the punchline to a lawyer joke. Have you ever heard Sandy Alderson give a straight answer to anything?

So they smartened up. The finish line is in sight, and they're not going to let David or his people intimate (or, as was the case with Jose, say outright) that the negotiations weren't in good-faith, or that the offer wasn't good. If David turns them down, we're going to know what he walked away from.

My hope is that this was a proactive measure meant to put pressure on David as they prepare their final offer, but the language in the response from Wright's camp makes me think this is the Mets simply covering their butts, and that he's already turned them down. I have a sneaking suspicion that David is giving them the opposite of a hometown discount--he's telling them "If you want me to stick around through this rebuild, you gotta pay for it." That's where the "I want to finish my career here" talk comes from. He's probably looking for an 8- or 9-year contract from the Mets, but would take less on the open market.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast