Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Fast Way to Rebuild the Mets

By non-tendering Pelfrey, Torres and Acosta the Mets save $9.5M that can buy us a FA right fielder like Swisher. If Duda can play LF and Swisher plays RF all we need is a CF leadoff batter to fill the gaping hole and have a decent lineup. With the Bay restructuring I say sign Bourne for five years at $12M in 2013, followed by $15M for the next four years and a $3M option/buyout to give him his $75M/five year deal he seeks and may deserve. It's essentially the deal we should have offered Reyes when we had a home town discount. While Bourne averages 4 41 .272 with an .340 OBP he also averages 50 SB a season and 93 runs scored---that's good enough for me and addition by subtraction if we take him away from the Braves. Re-sign Hairston and platoon him with Duda and may the best/hottest hitter win the majority of the playing time. The payroll remains about where it was in 2012 and the fans will start showing up again and increase revenues if the Wilpons show us that they are re-signing Wright and Dickey and are reinvesting the Bay money wisely. Save the trading chips in the minors until we know what they are worth.

New lineup: Bourne-L, Tejada-R, Wright-R, Davis-L, Swisher-L/R, Duda-L/Hairston-R, Murphy-L/Turner-R, and Shoppach-R/Thole-L. Valdespin, Hicks, Baxter or Nieuwenhuis round out the bench. This lineup could be competitive if Duda has any kind of decent season.

Santana, Dickey, Niese, Harvey, Gee and sign a retread [could be Pelfrey on an incentive laden contract or CYoung] followed by Francisco, Parnell, Byrdak, Edgin, Rauch [or equal for $3M], Familia, Mejia, ERamirez, Carson plus a veteran LOOGY for insurance...that's 10 talented guys for seven bullpen spots...AKA - depth. Keep the McHugh types in AAA where they belong. If all breaks right this team could win 90. If not, for 2014, use Santana's $24M to rebuild the remaining weak spots and enjoy Wheeler replacing him in the rotation. By then we will also know if WFlores and CPuello will be big league starters and if the bullpen kids become mature pitchers and not just throwers.
    Last edited by rdg515; 11-27-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    The only fast way to rebuild the Mets is for them to get new owners and that is not happening anytime soon.

vCash
    Bourn and Swisher rebuild the Mets?

vCash
    I want Swisher NOWHERE near the Mets, overrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Bourn and Swisher rebuild the Mets?

Yes---it's called a quick fix and doesn't drain your farm system. Bourne is in his prime and Swisher is a stopgap until someone figures out that WFlores needs to be a corner outfielder.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmARanger18 View Post
    I want Swisher NOWHERE near the Mets, overrated.
    Swisher just turned 32 this week so he is hardly over the hill. He is a switch hitter who has averaged 28 HR 90 RBI .256 with 90 walks a season...plays RF and 1B. What's not to like? His post season stats with the Yankees aren't great? Let's get to the postseason first before we worry about that. Swisher is a good #6 hitter that deepens your lineup...something we need. And he may ask for a bit less to stay in New York for awhile.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Bourn will cost you $60-70M at the very minimum. If they wanted that type of player, they had the opportunity to re-sign Reyes last year. He's not happening.

Swisher as a Met would be a nightmare. They may both be in their prime, but not on the right side of it.

Stay on the track they're on right now.

www.DailyStache.net You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    Swisher just turned 32 this week so he is hardly over the hill. He is a switch hitter who has averaged 28 HR 90 RBI .256 with 90 walks a season...plays RF and 1B. What's not to like? His post season stats with the Yankees aren't great? Let's get to the postseason first before we worry about that. Swisher is a good #6 hitter that deepens your lineup...something we need. And he may ask for a bit less to stay in New York for awhile.
    He's not worth Jayson Werth money. He wouldn't be a good signing for a team that is not going to the playoffs in the near future.

vCash
    I'd rather rebuild the right way. Having Bourn totally backloaded won't help in the future, for a team that's building for the future.

vCash
    By non-tendering Pelfrey, Torres and Acosta the Mets save $9.5M that can buy us a FA right fielder like Swisher. If Duda can play LF and Swisher plays RF all we need is a CF leadoff batter to fill the gaping hole and have a decent lineup. With the Bay restructuring I say sign Bourne for five years at $12M in 2013, followed by $15M for the next four years and a $3M option/buyout to give him his $75M/five year deal he seeks and may deserve. It's essentially the deal we should have offered Reyes when we had a home town discount. While Bourne averages 4 41 .272 with an .340 OBP he also averages 50 SB a season and 93 runs scored---that's good enough for me and addition by subtraction if we take him away from the Braves. Re-sign Hairston and platoon him with Duda and may the best/hottest hitter win the majority of the playing time. The payroll remains about where it was in 2012 and the fans will start showing up again and increase revenues if the Wilpons show us that they are re-signing Wright and Dickey and are reinvesting the Bay money wisely. Save the trading chips in the minors until we know what they are worth.

New lineup: Bourne-L, Tejada-R, Wright-R, Davis-L, Swisher-L/R, Duda-L/Hairston-R, Murphy-L/Turner-R, and Shoppach-R/Thole-L. Valdespin, Hicks, Baxter or Nieuwenhuis round out the bench. This lineup could be competitive if Duda has any kind of decent season.

Santana, Dickey, Niese, Harvey, Gee and sign a retread [could be Pelfrey on an incentive laden contract or CYoung] followed by Francisco, Parnell, Byrdak, Edgin, Rauch [or equal for $3M], Familia, Mejia, ERamirez, Carson plus a veteran LOOGY for insurance...that's 10 talented guys for seven bullpen spots...AKA - depth. Keep the McHugh types in AAA where they belong. If all breaks right this team could win 90. If not, for 2014, use Santana's $24M to rebuild the remaining weak spots and enjoy Wheeler replacing him in the rotation. By then we will also know if WFlores and CPuello will be big league starters and if the bullpen kids become mature pitchers and not just throwers.
    Don't hold your breath.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

Fast Way to Rebuild the Mets

Draft the next Michael Trout.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    rdg515, your solution is not rebuilding the Mets at all. It is merely adding on to what's already there. Don't get me wrong. Contrary to what others in this thread said, I believe the players you suggest signing, Bourn and Swisher, would contribute and make this a better ball club. But we wouldn't get either for the kind of money you suggest, and even if we could, it would leave nothing for filling the additional holes on the team.

True rebuilding would be stripping away (i.e. trading) pieces that we feel won't be contributors in the long run, and replacing them with several young, high ceiling prospects or major league players that fit into the long range plan. That would mean trading away Dickey or Niese or Gee, Murphy and Duda, and Santana at the deadline next year. The players we get back for them should fill the strategic needs of the team and totally turn the team around.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    stripping away (i.e. trading) pieces that we feel won't be contributors in the long run, and replacing them with several young, high ceiling prospects or major league players that fit into the long range plan. That would mean trading away Dickey or Niese or Gee, Murphy and Duda, and Santana at the deadline next year. The players we get back for them should fill the strategic needs of the team and totally turn the team around.
    I'm not looking to rebuild from scratch...there is no need to as long as the Wilpons aren't doing a Miami Marlin imitation. This is friggin' New York and there is no excuse to go low payroll for three years. The Wilpons aren't broke, they have arranged investors to pump in money, and the Madoff thing has been resolved. It's time to move forward, not tread water indefinitely. I understood why they didn't spend when it looked like they may owe $800M but that's not the case. They survived the settlement deal and will end up paying back a fraction of their ill gotten gains from Madoff---whether or not they knew it was a fraud. If they want to fill the seats with fans again then they need to start spending money now and I propose a reasonable plan. As for trading any of their major league chips I wouldn't trade Niese---he is the only lefty young starter we have and has an inexpensive contract...he stays put.
    Last edited by rdg515; 11-28-2012 at 02:34 AM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    I'm not looking to rebuild...there is no need to as long as the Wilpons aren't doing a Miami Marlin imitation. This is friggin' New York and there is no excuse to go low payroll for three years. The Wilpons aren't broke, they have arranged investors to pump in money, and the Madoff thing has been resolved. It's time to move forward, not tread water indefinitely. I understood why they didn't spend when it looked like they may owe $800M but that's not the case. They survived the settlement deal and will end up paying back a fraction of their ill gotten gains from Madoff---whether or not they knew it was a fraud. If they want to fill the seats with fans again then they need to start spending money now and I propose a reasonable plan. As for trading any of their major league chips I wouldn't trade Niese---he is the only lefty young starter we have and has an inexpensive contract...he stays put.
    They lost a major revenue stream when Bernie was exposed. You don't think losing a guaranteed 18 percent on all of their investments has changed the way they 've been able to do business?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    If you're not looking to rebuild, why'd you name the thread "Fast Way to Rebuild the Mets"?

You should have called it "******* Reality, Let's Shell Out $150 Million on a Couple of Outfielders"
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast