Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Not crying about anything. I didn't say it was going to change. I'm not gonna stop watching my favorite sport just because people are greedy. They have the power. I'm not disputing it. All I'm saying is they are greedy and overpayed. Didnt say whose fault it was.
    Fair enough. I see where you're coming from and the other side of the spectrum. I wasn't trying to call you out about crying either, just people in general who constantly complain about athletes salaries.

vCash
    They aren't overpaid but the contracts are excessive. The money they make is in line with the market meaning they aren't overpaid but the money generated by the sport (and all entertainment industries really) is excessive and would ideally be scaled back.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    They are not overpaid and greed is not something you can generalize to a group.

Most of these guys can't sit on their money their whole life. They need the security. Some may be greedy, some may not be.

However, they are definitely not overpaid.

vCash
    I actually work closely at times with nba teams, and most of those guys, in my opinion, could easily be working at Mcdonalds based off their intelligence level. Some of the dumbest people ive ever encountered. And, yes, they are greedy and leave awful tips when we go out. They make millions, and leave waiters barely 15-20%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    They are not overpaid and greed is not something you can generalize to a group.

Most of these guys can't sit on their money their whole life. They need the security. Some may be greedy, some may not be.

However, they are definitely not overpaid.
    They need $25 million to be secure? What?
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    How many are actually making 25 million anyway?

What of the guys who can afford to pay that and STILL feel more than secure that they will never not make a profit?

Also, who gives a damn? I get that the job of haters is to hate, but the amount athletes get paid is far more reflective of the society we're in (boy do we plebs loved to be entertained, and the wealthy are only too happy to oblige so long as we aim the hate at each other) and the rarity of their ability amongst other things.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-28-2012 at 12:16 AM.

vCash
    99.7 percent of the players do not make 25 million.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    How many are actually making 25 million anyway?

What of the guys who can afford to pay that and STILL feel more than secure that they will never not make a profit from paying that?

Also, who gives a damn? I get that the job of haters is to hate, but the amount athletes get paid is far more reflective of the society we're in (boy do we plebs loved to be entertained, and the wealthy are only too happy to oblige so long as we aim the hate at each other) and the rarity of their ability amongst other things.
    Did you just call me a hater? What are you 13?

Even if its not $25M. 5, 10, 15 whatever it is. They don't NEED that much money. No one does. The average person makes 1/100 of what an average player makes a year. They seem to be alright.

vCash
    99.7 percent of the players do not make 25 million.
    Cool, they don't need $1 million either. The original point was bogus. Why do they need more security than everyone else? Most people seem to do okay making a small percentage of that a year.

To say they need millions a year is ignorant.

vCash
    Cool, they don't need $1 million either. The original point was bogus. Why do they need more security than everyone else? Most people seem to do okay making a small percentage of that a year.

To say they need millions a year is ignorant.
    You think you can sit on one million dollars or something? You know how easy it is to run out of a million in a two or three year span?

I am convinced you don't pay bills or pay taxes.

Stop using the word need, because that's entirely subjective. We don't need most everything in society to survive, but I doubt you'd argue against those things.

vCash
    Then don't go to games, stop watching sports, don't buy merchandise, and take money out of the source that can pay those players.

Who caaaaaares what the average person makes? These people aren't average - average people cannot do an athlete's job, and there are far less jobs for athletes than there are for whoever/whatever the average person is/does.

To say they're greedy is incredibly ignorant, and I am sure you would have zero complaints if you were in their position. What you are doing here is hating -13 or not - it's unimaginably pointless, the hate is disturbingly misdirected and simplistic, and it gains nothing for any person out there.

vCash
    Guppy nailed it on need. Who are you to tell another working human being what they need and deserve to acquire for themselves anyway?

vCash
    Too much focus on the top 1% of the professional athletes.

Most professional athletes never even make it to the 'show' and never make enough to retire on in a sport that they are forced to retire dangerously young in a business where their health and fitness is primarily number one importance, only behind their level of peak performance at prime ages.

Keep some perspective of what these athletes actually go through to get where they are and to earn what they earn.

There are a total of 9225 professional baseball players playing professional baseball

They make a combined total of 4 billion dollars per year

Which averages in total of just over 430k per year on average.

And you have guys like A-Rod and Fielder making well over 20 million a year.

But most professional baseball players are making about 1500 a month in a shortened season in a profession where after 40 they have no more future, usually at the age of 30.

When they can finally get to the point of earning 7 figures+, good for them. But they are the minority. Until you make the big leagues, you make basically nothing.

Also, nobody should ever, anywhere, care what others make in life. Those with jealousy for others will never accomplish themselves. Who cares what they earn? Good for them for doing it. Don't support the sport if you don't like it so much.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 11-28-2012 at 12:59 AM.

vCash
    Stop using the word need, because that's entirely subjective. We don't need most everything in society to survive, but I doubt you'd argue against those things.

vCash
    It's basic supply and demand. MLB caliber players are extremely rare, and baseball generates an incredible amount of money. Even the worst MLB players are terrific athletes, and are better than the AAA players who just can't make it despite a lifetime of work.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast