Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox_mattyice3 View Post
    Yes they are greedy, but who isn't anymore? You're saying if you have an opportunity to make more money you're not going to take it? If you are in their shoes and got to where they were, you too would be fighting for every dollar. You earned it. We are to blame for their massive contracts because owners know we are suckers as fans to pay these prices.
    Doesn't make it right. That's why monopolies are illegal. They allow crazy prices just cause there is no other choice. Raising already crazy prices when the organization is already making **** tons of money is greedy an unnecessary.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Dude at the shelter probably thinks you're greedy too for turning down a 35k salary when you know your skills are worth more. Perspective.

vCash
    If you're in the MLB and you suck you make around $500 000. It would take me 10-12 years to make that. Yes, professional athletes are grossly overpaid.

vCash
    I think the real overpaid ones are actors/ musicians...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Dude at the shelter probably thinks you're greedy too for turning down a 35k salary when you know your skills are worth more. Perspective.
    Is me turning that down directly affecting that homeless guy, that could very easily go across the street and apply at McDonalds?

If I go for a higher paying job, it isn't taking money away from the hobo. These players getting ridiculous contracts while the prices get jacked up does affect others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Doesn't make it right. That's why monopolies are illegal. They allow crazy prices just cause there is no other choice. Raising already crazy prices when the organization is already making **** tons of money is greedy an unnecessary.
    Yes, I agree with you 100%. It's not right. But it's not like sporting events are a need in our lifes. We watch it for our own pleasure and pour hundreds if not thousands of our own money into it. We have no one to blame but ourselves. I don't know how people don't see that. If you're going to cry about it than stop watching and going to games. Sounds harsh but it's reality.

vCash
    I always find it odd that players have to fight for the absolute top dollar. Take Carl Crawford for example. He wanted to go to the Angels, but took slightly more money to sign with Boston where he was miserable. Why not take slightly less to go somewhere you'll enjoy? If you're worried about running out of money when you have over $100 million than you are incredibly greedy.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    Overpaid? The market says no
    Mavs fan first and foremost, and a closet Pistons fan since 2002

People who say Nirvana is overrated only listened to one album. Check the rest, damn fools

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'm a teacher. And just because I probably should be paid, immensely more than I am, I understand why pro-athletes are making what they are, and I'm making what I am.

Sadly, I generate zero revenue, despite generating the minds of young'ins. And because salary is, a lot of the time (and most of the time, really) a direct correlation of how much money you make for your employer, I make peanuts comparatively.

I wished we lived in a perfect world were teachers, nurses, doctors (well, they already make a ton, so they're not really that left out), police officers and fire fighters made more than everyone else because of the, absolutely, important roles they play in our society. That said, we don't. So it sucks, but, it's pretty easy to understand why.
    As a teacher you generate revenue by educating kids and making successful people to pay taxes. You are paid by the same government that collects these taxes. There is a direct correlation between them and though I don't think you should be paid like a pro athlete, you should make good money as long as your a good teacher.

vCash
    Yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    I always find it odd that players have to fight for the absolute top dollar. Take Carl Crawford for example. He wanted to go to the Angels, but took slightly more money to sign with Boston where he was miserable. Why not take slightly less to go somewhere you'll enjoy? If you're worried about running out of money when you have over $100 million than you are incredibly greedy.
    Yes, certain players in general are overpaid compared to other athletes around them. But as an overall athletes make what they are expected to bring back in in revenue. Red Sox sign Carl Crawford for that ridiculous contract and the Red Sox bump their price up in tickets because they know we as fans are intrigued to see this new team, along with us buying merchandise of this new player. Once again, making us look like fools. There is a reason these owners became successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    As a teacher you generate revenue by educating kids and making successful people to pay taxes. You are paid by the same government that collects these taxes. There is a direct correlation between them and though I don't think you should be paid like a pro athlete, you should make good money as long as your a good teacher.
    Good teachers are hard to find these days. I know many friends going into teaching at ISU which is actually has a really good teaching program. Sadly, they are just not meant to be teachers and went that direction for the safe security route. I feel bad for childeren getting those people as teachers.

vCash
    Always amaze me how much fans love to protect the owners' money. There are people who OFFER these guys this money, and can afford it with ease, but since most owners can't be named right off the top of the head....

BTW: How sports fans look at players who get paid is a microcosm of why the wealthy, the truly wealthy, will always freely dominate. We don't want the big guy at the top to go down, just the people that guy allows to have a little more than ourselves. A little too political for my tastes, but undeniable. As long as the owner is in the shadows the bad guy is always the highest paid guy on his team. Meanwhile the owner piles up the money to the point where he's probably never actually held or even seen cash in a very long time. It's scary to see too because most fans will NEVER acknowledge how many of players came from absolutely nothing, the same place many are and grew up as.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-27-2012 at 10:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox_mattyice3 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you 100%. It's not right. But it's not like sporting events are a need in our lifes. We watch it for our own pleasure and pour hundreds if not thousands of our own money into it. We have no one to blame but ourselves. I don't know how people don't see that. If you're going to cry about it than stop watching and going to games. Sounds harsh but it's reality.
    Not crying about anything. I didn't say it was going to change. I'm not gonna stop watching my favorite sport just because people are greedy. They have the power. I'm not disputing it. All I'm saying is they are greedy and overpayed. Didnt say whose fault it was.

vCash
    They are overpaid, but it is not their fault. In today's sports market, that is the way supply/demand works. For example, there is not a large supply of elite starting pitcher out there in the free agent market, mainly because teams are locking their players up to long-term contracts as of late. Therefore, the demand for players who are available on the free agent market is very high and teams tend to out-bid each other to acquire that player.

We are also in an era now where incredibly talented players are breaking old records accomplished by retired talented players, and that is also raising their value (players were not breaking records in the 20th century as fast as they are/will in the 21st century).

A-rod for example before free agency was offered a massive contract by the Yankees, mainly because they felt he was the best 3B in the league who is on pace to be the all-time HR leader (debatable now).

Point is, teams will overpay for great players and it is because the MLB market for players has transformed entirely from what it use to be, and big-market teams could (note "could") be the reason why.

If Trout was a free agent in 2014, he would receive a $250M contract.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast