Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Well he is going to be paid it.

These contracts are guaranteed, he isn't taking this offer from start-up company in Hondouras or something.

But he will be taxed, and likely won't ever spend that much in his lifetime.

After taxes, he would have to spend basically 12 grand a day for the rest of his life to actually go broke with all the compensation he has already earned, will earn, and what he has likely already spent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    These are the most talented people in their profession in the entire world. There are very few people in the world that can do what they do. They're in an extremely lucrative business.

It's not the athletes that are in the wrong. It's the value our society puts on entertainment.
    Bingo, its disgusting.

vCash
    I think people need to look at it in context too.

How many players are paid at the level of a Pujols, A-Rod, Fielder, Votto etc etc?

It's a very small group of major league players that even make 15+ million over an extended period of time. Saying that, you might see more of these types of deals are certain markets look to increase tv market revenue through larger contracts and starting their own sports networks.

It's also the fact that guys who make 2 or 3 million dollars a year don't specifically have long life spans in MLB. If they can maximize their value and collect 5-10 million dollars that's still not probably enough to live on for their rest of their lives between taxes, agents fees and their own personal expenses.

There are a lot more guys in MLB who make that type of money that no one ever speaks about as greedy. That's why guys like Scott Hairston are looking to cash in coming off a good season with a multi year deal after getting only 1 million from the Mets last year.

Some of these elite guys are not getting paid right away either. I mean Trout for example is making next to nothing and he was the best player in the majors last year. He also isn't arbitration eligible for another 2 seasons and not a FA till 2018 when he will be 26 or 27 years old. Those arbitration years and his next big contract will be probably the only time he makes considerable money.

It's a very short time frame in which this players can cash in. They aren't teachers, scientists, doctors etc etc who can work 40-50 years if they want to. Then you look at professions like CEOs, stockbrokers, executives at profitable companies and they can also make "major sports money" for that amount of time as well.

So i believe there has to be some context to it besides "Look at all these greedy players"

I mean if we are going to complain about athletes making this amount of money then what about the CEOs of major banks that needed to bailed out by taxpayer money?

Or even the money they were making before that?

Or complain about the owners of these franchises and the profits they bring in?

Some professions are incredibly lucrative and these players (and their agents) see how much money these teams are making off a certain player or just in general and feel they deserve a piece of that. I say rightfully so! (The NCAA should also pay their players but that's a different can of worms)

Saying that, there are people to blame for the FA market being where it is today.

John Hart opened the flood gates (no pun intended) to these modern day monster contracts with A-Rod and the Yankees have been at the forefront of many of these major money deals since the Steinbrenners (George specifically) took over the Yankees in 1973.

These owners were willing participants because they wanted to win or generate a crap load of money, whatever their main motivation was.

We are also to blame in some respects, paying subscription fees for certain sports channels on Cable (like MSG, SNY, YES here in NY), paying sometimes absorbitant amounts of money to see live sporting events like a Knicks game or a Giants game, paying 20,000 bucks for a PSL to see the Jets, and doing little about it even as it becomes harder on our wallets.

Like i said it's all about context, there are plenty of guys who make a modest living playing major league baseball for a short period of time. They need that money to sustain a certain lifestyle and put some away for their future. Even so a lot of them move on to work in professional baseball after their playing career is over because they need a profession past playing professional sports.

Do certain athletes make too much money? Of course but as long as we are willing to pay to see them, there is going to be this type of money out there for these players.

And i hate to burst everyone's bubble but it's going to only get worse with the way the major sports are currently constructed.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-02-2012 at 03:24 AM.

vCash
    It's also the fact that guys who make 2 or 3 million dollars a year don't specifically have long life spans in MLB. If they can maximize their value and collect 5-10 million dollars that's still not probably enough to live on for their rest of their lives between taxes, agents fees and their own personal expenses.
    So they can go back to work. Why are they exempt from working until 50-60 just because they were a pro baseball player?

If they only play til 30, collect $10M and cant live of that, they can work. They didnt make it, oh well. They will just have to be a regular person like everyone else and work for a while longer.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    So they can go back to work. Why are they exempt from working until 50-60 just because they were a pro baseball player?

If they only play til 30, collect $10M and cant live of that, they can work. They didnt make it, oh well. They will just have to be a regular person like everyone else and work for a while longer.
    I wasn't saying that they shouldn't, in fact a lot of them like i said in my post go back to baseball in some capacity (as a job) after their playing career is over.

That doesn't mean they don't deserve a share of the pie with all this money being thrown around and increasing revenue (in some cases ballooning revenue) for some of these major sports teams.

vCash
    I just happen to think they are more greedy than others because the extra money they want, in some cases, won't actually make a different. Is Pujols ever going to actually get to the 250th million that he got? I tend to think he won't.
    Do you mean is he going to spend every single dollar he earns in the contract? No, he's probably not an idiot.

I know a lot of people who aren't homeless or anything, but definitely not a part of the middle class. They stay poor not because they're lazy, they stay poor because they're completely awful at managing their money. They live pay check to pay check and never give consideration to their future.

There are some athletes like this too. Every once and a while, you hear about an athlete going bankrupt or in financial trouble after earning millions because they live beyond their means or they're just generally completely stupid about handling their money. I think I heard about Curt Schilling going broke recently because of a stupid investment and I'd heard Mike Tyson was having money trouble too.

These athletes who make a lot of money aren't necessarily trying to get every last dollar because of vanity or greed, it's just common sense to try to get as much financial security for yourself and your family as possible. It's really ridiculous of anyone to let envy get the better of them and start calling these people greedy just because they're trying to get market value for themselves.

Saying something like "I agree that we're all greedy" dilutes it to be a meaningless adjective then as well. Why even bother to use it to describe anyone if it's attributed to everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    ever their main motivation was.

We are also to blame in some respects, paying subscription fees for certain sports channels on Cable (like MSG, SNY, YES here in NY), paying sometimes absorbitant amounts of money to see live sporting events like a Knicks game or a Giants game, paying 20,000 bucks for a PSL to see the Jets, and doing little about it even as it becomes harder on our wallets.

its more than just we pay to watch.its we demand a winner,out emotions ride on it.if we as fans didnt care who was fielded than cost would drop,but no,we want our fav team to win the championship and most times we complain if our teams dont pay whatever it takes to make that happen.so you guys who are complaining about salary ,stop caring if your team wins or loses..because as long as the desire to win exists than those that can make it happen are in a strong negotiating position

vCash
    Because they are greedier than most. They don't need that extra few million, and if they do they need to be a little more conservative with their money.

You are acting as though they aren't greedy at all, and that's ridiculous. I answered the question are they greedy. I believe most people are.

We obviously disagree. I don't see why you seem to think something is going to change in this argument. Just agree to disagree like I said a few pages back.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Most of them fore-go college to pursue professional baseball. They are not necessarily trained or educated in a world where their skills are really going to help society outside of probably coaching, which is what most of them do.

10 million doesn't go nearly as far as you seem to think.

And what about the 9000 current professional baseball players that won't make it the big leagues, let alone ever top 7 figures in a single season, or 8 figures.

They are usually done with baseball by the age of 26. Some go back to college, some go work some labor job, etc.

They deserve to get every penny out of their professional baseball playing days that they can. It's a long journey, and only that top 1% ever make enough to live out their days on.

Hell, every professional baseball player is one injury away from never playing again, and never getting paid again. Some get long term deals to provide security from such a thing.

vCash
    Because they are greedier than most. They don't need that extra few million, and if they do they need to be a little more conservative with their money.
    That's your opinion, but not your place to say that.

Their money is their money, and they should be allowed to pursue however much they can/need and reach their worth.

It's either they make it, or the owners keep it. I don't consider it greedy at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Do you mean is he going to spend every single dollar he earns in the contract? No, he's probably not an idiot.

I know a lot of people who aren't homeless or anything, but definitely not a part of the middle class. They stay poor not because they're lazy, they stay poor because they're completely awful at managing their money. They live pay check to pay check and never give consideration to their future.

There are some athletes like this too. Every once and a while, you hear about an athlete going bankrupt or in financial trouble after earning millions because they live beyond their means or they're just generally completely stupid about handling their money. I think I heard about Curt Schilling going broke recently because of a stupid investment and I'd heard Mike Tyson was having money trouble too.

These athletes who make a lot of money aren't necessarily trying to get every last dollar because of vanity or greed, it's just common sense to try to get as much financial security for yourself and your family as possible. It's really ridiculous of anyone to let envy get the better of them and start calling these people greedy just because they're trying to get market value for themselves.

Saying something like "I agree that we're all greedy" dilutes it to be a meaningless adjective then as well. Why even bother to use it to describe anyone if it's attributed to everyone.
    I believe former 30-40% of NFL players file bankruptcy between within 10 years of retirement from the NFL.

They don't know how to manage their money.

vCash

You are acting as though they aren't greedy at all, and that's ridiculous. I answered the question are they greedy. I believe most people are.
    They aren't greedier than most. They aren't greedy necessarily at all. If put in the same situation, "most" would accept the offer which is the best fit for them (financially and otherwise). It isn't greedy to do so.

As you quoted from the dictionary before, when trying to make your case but in doing so made one to the contrary, greedy means an excessive desire for wealth. It isn't excessive to accept the best contract someone offers you.

We obviously disagree. I don't see why you seem to think something is going to change in this argument. Just agree to disagree like I said a few pages back.
    We do obviously disagree, but I've responded only as much as you have. Trying to insinuate that I'm perpetuating this by not simply letting you have the last word is somewhat hypocritical.

vCash

alot of them do.but most players are idiots,many skip college and most of the time they only go because they need more time to raise their draft stock.besides that they are handled with kids gloves in high school,auto passed or have others do they're work.so they arent really in a position to flourish in a society where they have to rely on using their brain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I believe former 30-40% of NFL players file bankruptcy between within 10 years of retirement from the NFL.

They don't know how to manage their money.
    Wow, I didn't know the percentage was that high but it's definitely understandable. I think the NFL tends to employ the dumbest (and most criminal) athletes of any of the 4 major sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Wow, I didn't know the percentage was that high but it's definitely understandable. I think the NFL tends to employ the dumbest (and most criminal) athletes of any of the 4 major sports.
    And they have the shortest careers on average (2-3 years or something like that, I don't really know what the average is, but it's small)

They get there, get used to an income level, are surrounded by people making similar incomes, and spend, spend, spend for that income level. When they have to retire because they can't get on a squad, they are completely screwed and don't adjust their spending until it's too late.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast