Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    2 million dollars - the difference between 14 and 12 - is alot of money. I'd move over it.

And once again, a very small percentage of athletes actually get to that level.

You choosing to take less money because you assume having more money will make you unhappy has far less significance than you think it does.

The extra 4 million is going to make a 4 million dollar difference, so yes. Most people will notice 4 million dollars moving no matter how much money they have. In fact, if I had 20 million and I could have had 24 million I would probably kick the closest small, defenseless organism and then some.

vCash
    Then you are greedy, plain and simple. Money is more important to you than any other factor. That 2 million dollars in nothing when you have another $12M.

What is that extra 2 million gonna get you? You won't even notice it. You could go where you actually want to and still get tons of money.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Then you are greedy, plain and simple
    In your opinion, which has significant significance in this case to you and only you.

Worse:

Money is more important to you than any other factor.
    What a huge assumption.

Once again, that 2 million dollars is not nothing - it's 2 f'n million dollars. An extra 2 million dollars gives me an extra two million dollars, which can get me (and my now far more secure progeny) a whole lot of things that make my life easier and better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    not really.some make an absurd amount ,but most dont.its not like its a fixed paycheck throughout their life .whatever the make has to last them after they retire(which is alot younger then you will ,by decades) and for a skill set that most dont have and the money that it brings to the club.i'd say its adjusted to be pretty fairly for he most part
    Do you realize that players make as much in 4 seasons, as the average working man makes in his lifetime, working 40 years? The MLBPA has a great pension as well. If you put in just 43 days on a MLB roster, you receive $34k/year for life.

Arguably, Major League Baseball (“MLB”) offers one of the best pension and healthcare programs in all of sports. Players vest in their pensions after 43 days on the active roster and just one day qualifies a player for lifetime healthcare. Playing isn’t even a requirement, benchwarmers may qualify for benefits as well. After 43 days, players qualify for the minimum benefit of $34,000 per year and those with 10 years of service receive a pension of approximately $100,000 annually.

http://benefitsbryancave.com/major-l...care-benefits/

vCash
    Please. Why not ask if they are human?

People want to get what they can. Most people are not interested in charity. Since big money came into baseball, team rivalries mean less and less and the commonality of interests of players is more important. I.E. Pete Rose wiping out Ray Fosse in the ASG cannot happen in this era.

The average player in 1965 made about $6500.00, the average wage earner about $3000.00. So your choice is for the "good" of the community would you take $120k or 20 times that - $2.4M and be "selfish".

I'd wager at least 1/2 of you never paid a mortgage, or had to support several children, a spouse, retirement savings, college savings, and an elderly parent.

Walk in the shoes of an adult before you cast moralistic judgment at those that do. The fact is sports careers are short, and often these people are not well prepared for what's next. So now - go ahead and rail against common sense and capitalism.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    And how many of those who say they would love to play baseball for a living have actually made the sacrifices in time and effort to be a professional athlete? We'd all love the hit like Cabrera and make $20 million doing it but how many of us have been willing to put the work in to get there? What if there was no guarantee that you would make a dollar from it as you put all that work into it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    And how many of those who say they would love to play baseball for a living have actually made the sacrifices in time and effort to be a professional athlete? We'd all love the hit like Cabrera and make $20 million doing it but how many of us have been willing to put the work in to get there? What if there was no guarantee that you would make a dollar from it as you put all that work into it?
    No doubt.

I wonder how many hours the league average MLB player worked out today. Even though it's their vacation time.

3.5? Some might be away on a vacation with their families, but I bet most are still training.

Carlos Martinez for example, Cardinals double A prospect. Moving up our prospects ranks. Was sent home to the Dominican, and the team is paying for a full time instructional coach to live with him all winter to work out with him all-day, everyday. Not much of a vacation.

There are plenty of perks.....if you make and get the 7 figure deals. But that's far from everybody (especially when we consider minor leaguers). Agents make 3%, lawyers make another 2%, and accountants 1% (these are averages, it varies obviously). Then taxes takes 25-30%, and they obviously have other personal expenses as well.

Obviously, after a year or two in the big leagues, you make good money, but that isn't most.

If you are signed out of the Dominican, the guy who trained you gets anywhere between 15-30% of your signing bonus (they take them in and develop them through camps from like age 12-13 and this is how they are rewarded).

It's not all 100 million dollar deals and living high for everybody. Some players get to that point. But that is far from most.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Then you are greedy, plain and simple. Money is more important to you than any other factor. That 2 million dollars in nothing when you have another $12M.

What is that extra 2 million gonna get you? You won't even notice it. You could go where you actually want to and still get tons of money.
    I know what you're trying to say, but it's a comment which lacks perspective. A homeless guy may think that a man who makes $100,000 a year is greedy for trying to find a job which would pay $120,000.

There's nothing wrong with being motivated to earn more money and no need to vilify someone for it unless they do something unethical to pursue it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    In your opinion, which has significant significance in this case to you and only you.

Worse:

What a huge assumption.

Once again, that 2 million dollars is not nothing - it's 2 f'n million dollars. An extra 2 million dollars gives me an extra two million dollars, which can get me (and my now far more secure progeny) a whole lot of things that make my life easier and better.
    2 Million dollars is such a big difference? Yeah to US it is. Is $14 so much more than $12? No. It's evidentally the same percentage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    I know what you're trying to say, but it's a comment which lacks perspective. A homeless guy may think that a man who makes $100,000 a year is greedy for trying to find a job which would pay $120,000.

There's nothing wrong with being motivated to earn more money and no need to vilify someone for it unless they do something unethical to pursue it.
    If that extra 2k is more important to them than anything else then I agree. They are greedy.

vCash
    If that extra 2k is more important to them than anything else then I agree. They are greedy.
    Greedy would imply that they are doing something wrong by taking the best offer they can get. There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, even if someone who is poor and envious will unfairly criticize them for it.

vCash
    I pursue the most money in business opportunities every time.

I am doing this because I don't want to work forever, and because I have a family I am providing for.

And I don't feel badly about it, and I don't feel greedy about it. I don't screw people over, and I am not unethical about it. But I pursue the best deal whenever such an opportunity is created.

I don't think that is greedy.

Just like if I was a big leaguer, and I was finally a free agent.

If I had three offers on the table, for example:

4/40 - Team I was drafted by
    4/44 - Team I have the best chance to win with
    4/48 - Most money, okay team

Am I a greedy person if I took option C?

vCash
    What if someone making $25k is looking for a $45k job? Is that greedy?

Most of these baseball players do care about where they play, who they play for and what kind of chance they have to win. When they're picking between $12 million and $14 million they've already narrowed it down to places that meet all these other non-monitary criteria.

What contract could Josh Hamilton take for you to not consider him greedy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'm a teacher. And just because I probably should be paid, immensely more than I am, I understand why pro-athletes are making what they are, and I'm making what I am.

Sadly, I generate zero revenue, despite generating the minds of young'ins. And because salary is, a lot of the time (and most of the time, really) a direct correlation of how much money you make for your employer, I make peanuts comparatively.

I wished we lived in a perfect world were teachers, nurses, doctors (well, they already make a ton, so they're not really that left out), police officers and fire fighters made more than everyone else because of the, absolutely, important roles they play in our society. That said, we don't. So it sucks, but, it's pretty easy to understand why.
    True...

vCash
    If Josh Hamilton went where he wanted to play for a little less than the biggest offer. Didt his wife say they would go to whoever offers the most money?

Pujols was greedy. He left the World Series champion cards when he was already gonna get $230M.

That's a fundamental difference. Someone getting $45k rather than $20k is a lot different than getting $250M rather than $230M or whatever. He will never even get into that last $20M

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast