Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    this is what happens when its an open market in the MLB. you see dumb 10 year contracts for over 200 million dollars.

vCash
    The thing I don't understand, what do people think happens to all the money that would come off the books if there was a cap put in place and salaries all of a sudden tumbled? You feel better about the owners lining their pockets than the players getting what they deserve?

vCash
    These are the most talented people in their profession in the entire world. There are very few people in the world that can do what they do. They're in an extremely lucrative business.

It's not the athletes that are in the wrong. It's the value our society puts on entertainment.

vCash
    How is $20M a year not overpayed? It's ridiculous that some people think its OK. Obviously their field is very rich, but its still crazy. No one deserved $20M a year for playing sports, or really for doing anything.

They are very greedy also. These people don't need all this money to "set up their lives". None of us make anything close to that, yet I'm sure most of us have been pretty successful, and can provide for themselves and their family, some probably very well. Yet these guys gripe over a few million and go to the place that offers them the most, or refuse to re sign with their team cause they aren't getting enough. People turning down $100M offers because they think they should get more is ridiculous and greedy.

Teams are raising ticket prices, and I have to pay $12 for a slice of pizza and a small soda while these guys are making millions and millions of dollars. Sure the money is gonna go to someone, but they don't need even more by ripping fans off to pay for these ridiculous contracts. That's the worst part. They want MORE.
    Last edited by jej; 11-27-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    I have felt for awhile now that baseball players are overpaid. they don't need to be making upper teens/20+ million a season.
    but I just now thought of something else.
    in normal life people work until the age of 65. it's not even close to that in sports. baseball for example, what is the average age a player retires? mid/upper 30's? now some of them get into coaching, but not all of them. but still even if they know mostly baseball wouldn't they have a good chance at getting into coaching baseball somewhere? regardless. I don't know the math. but what is the average money made for a baseball player between the ages they are playing baseball, compared to the average person in life who works from after college until they retire at 65? maybe something worth considering. baseball players play professionally from what maybe 18/19 but more so roughly 20ish until say 35+? not that many years in there compared to regular people that work until 65.

vCash
    Most/close to all make more in 15 years than the average person does in 40. Guaranteed. I mean, even $10M/year for 15 years is 150M. Do you think most people make that in their life?

And that's just a slightly above average player. Think about the all stats and guys getting $200M.

Plus they can go work more if they need to. They aren't exempt for that cause they played sports. If they are out of money at 45, that's on then and they can work like everyone else.

vCash
    I honestly believe it matters what perspective you take on this situation. As sports fans, most can rationalize the amount of money they make. However, ask most other people, and they would probably tend to agree that they make too much.

vCash
    Overpaid? Check
    Greedy? Check

vCash
    If you think they are overpaid then that is your problem as the fan. Do you own a jersey or any other merchandise from your favorite team? Do you not go to games even if the prices are a tad bit outrages at times? Do you not pay $8 for that beer and another $10 for a hot dog and chips? These players are the ones who attract you to pour money into this buisness. Sure some are "over paid" compared to other players, but if the revenue keeps coming in at the rate it is than technically no, they are not.

The money coming in is money that must go out as well and it is not like these owners are losing any money. If people think that they are overpaid than they must like seeing the "rich get richer." Maybe not in baseball, but some players are actually underpaid in sports if you take in account all the revenue they bring in. For example Lebron James.

So if you are the one who thinks they are overpaid, than stop paying the prices.
    Last edited by bosox_mattyice3; 11-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.

vCash
    It's either the players getting the money or the owners. Sorry. If you think they're over paid, how much money should they make? Then....take all that left over money.....and one person gets it. Instead of the people who put their bodies and time on the line.

If you think they're over paid, then you think the money should be in one person's hand. Also, remind yourself, you are part of the problem you're complaining about. You've undoubtedly bought tickets, bought concessions, purchased merchandise, or watched a game on tv (which is selling advertisements to you) and you've, in some way, given them money.

I hate when people ***** at how much sports players make. It's either the owners making everything and the players making nothing, or the players making a ton and the owners making a ton, but less than everything. That's the only options. What, they should take their profits and give it back? Sorry kiddies, that's not how it works in America.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    You could make a case for yes and no for this one. Yes because, well, they play baseball for a job and ask for 100 million dollars instead of 90 million dollars. On the other hand, there's so much demand for entertainment in America, and the world for that matter. The more people want to see it, the more they will pay. They do earn it, too. You think you work and diet hard? Multiply that by the highest number you can think of and there you get the highest paid athletes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It's either the players getting the money or the owners. Sorry. If you think they're over paid, how much money should they make? Then....take all that left over money.....and one person gets it. Instead of the people who put their bodies and time on the line.

If you think they're over paid, then you think the money should be in one person's hand. Also, remind yourself, you are part of the problem you're complaining about. You've undoubtedly bought tickets, bought concessions, purchased merchandise, or watched a game on tv (which is selling advertisements to you) and you've, in some way, given them money.

I hate when people ***** at how much sports players make. It's either the owners making everything and the players making nothing, or the players making a ton and the owners making a ton, but less than everything. That's the only options. What, they should take their profits and give it back? Sorry kiddies, that's not how it works in America.
    What about the fact that teams keep jacking up prices? They don't need that extra few dollars a ticket. So yes, they are greedy, and payed more than they have to be, even for their market. Obviously the money has to go somewhere, but its more money than it should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    What about the fact that teams keep jacking up prices? They don't need that extra few dollars a ticket. So yes, they are greedy, and payed more than they have to be, even for their market. Obviously the money has to go somewhere, but its more money than it should be.
    Yes they are greedy, but who isn't anymore? You're saying if you have an opportunity to make more money you're not going to take it? If you are in their shoes and got to where they were, you too would be fighting for every dollar. You earned it. We are to blame for their massive contracts because owners know we are suckers as fans to pay these prices.

vCash
    EVERYONE in the entertainment industry is overpaid. They make no legitimate contribution to society in their profession to justify making that much money. They are the reason the dollar has diluted so greatly... the more money printed; the weaker its currency and when people whose jobs are nothing more than to keep us entertained contain a large chunk of the total money printed; how are we supposed to pay for peoples skills who are actually necessary? Print more money right? You wanna know why the gap between the rich and the poor is so great? Its staring you right in the face every time you turn on the television. Stop fueling the problem people. Entertainment is fueling this country and its pathetic; its created a generation of ignorance, obesity, and overall just counterproductive behavior. Television, music, sports, etc. are supposed to temporarily distract us from our lives (although good music and television should actually help you sub consciously relate to real life problems); when were letting them fill all our free time; how are we supposed to live our lives? How are we supposed to confront our problems? How are we supposed to keep up with the rest of the world and real problems? Sorry for my rant but this thread was totally started with a rhetorical question and it felt necessary
    Last edited by Spiderman 1nner; 11-27-2012 at 09:35 PM.

vCash
    Are they overpaid and greedy? Yes. End of thread.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast