Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Are professional sports players overpaid and greedy?

I post this in the MLB forum because I see it here the most. I also see that baseball players are probably some of the highest paid players in all of sports.

I have 2 questions actually, are baseball players (or all sport players or thay matter) overpaid? Also, are some players so greedy?

I see players such as A-Rod who years ago expected 300 million an refused to sign for a penny less, any Scott Boras client who won't sign for anything less than 7 figures. I also see the David Wright situation, claiming he wants 7+ years and it's not about the money when the Mets offered him 7 years (supposedly)

A lot can be done with the average salary of an MLB player (3.4M I believe) and, is it really worth all that money for somebody who just plays a game? This may sound cliché but, comparing the money to the salary of somebody who cotributes to society (i.e a teacher) doesn't it seem a bit unfair? Even if you're in neither of their shoes.

Why is money such a big deal? Is having 300M a lot worse than having 100M and for that matter, isn't 1M more than enough to live on? Not saying players should only get paid 1M but, this ties into the idea if baseball should have a salary cap.

Is all of this money really necessary?

vCash
    Yes. Its nuts how much these people make to play sports
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    overpaid? some are,some arent.it depends on the player.greedy? sure,but who isnt?

if you could make 20+ mil a year,you would jump at the chance(everyone here would),so i dont get the hypocritical *****ing that fans do about players saying yes to that kind of money,like you'd argue to minimum at your job or something?
    Last edited by abe_froman; 11-27-2012 at 07:52 PM.

vCash
    No. Perspective. Try some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Yes. Its nuts how much these people make to play sports
    not really.some make an absurd amount ,but most dont.its not like its a fixed paycheck throughout their life .whatever the make has to last them after they retire(which is alot younger then you will ,by decades) and for a skill set that most dont have and the money that it brings to the club.i'd say its adjusted to be pretty fairly for he most part

vCash
    No. They generate a lot of money, why shouldn't they get their fair share? She we return to the reserve clause?

vCash
    They're not trying to "live on" their salaries, they're setting up the rest of their lives and their children's lives. At best they have 20 years (most often much less) to make money at their career. Most of them know how to do little else. Their bodies likely wrecked by the time they're done. This is their chance, what they've worked their whole lives for, they need to squeeze as much out of it as they can, just like the owners squeeze all they can out of each and every one of them.

Which brings me to my next point, the ticket prices are set already by the marketplace, merchandise selling constantly, if not more to the players each year, the owner's then? The investors? These athletes lay it all on the line for these owners and fans. The money is there, who better to recieve a big chunk than the ones actually doing the work. Don't we all wish our jobs were a bit more like that?

Yes, it's insane money, but it's part of the game. These are highly specialized individuals. There are 1000s of Neurosurgians in the world, there is one 3B for the New York Yankees.

vCash
    yes period

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Comparing an MLB player to a teacher is insane. There's literally thousands of teachers for every MLB player. And no school is raking in millions of dollars in revenue due to school performance.

Sports are big time businesses. And just like Microsoft would be willing to spend millions to acquire a top exec, MLB teams will do the same to acquire a top pitcher.

vCash
    I'm a teacher. And just because I probably should be paid, immensely more than I am, I understand why pro-athletes are making what they are, and I'm making what I am.

Sadly, I generate zero revenue, despite generating the minds of young'ins. And because salary is, a lot of the time (and most of the time, really) a direct correlation of how much money you make for your employer, I make peanuts comparatively.

I wished we lived in a perfect world were teachers, nurses, doctors (well, they already make a ton, so they're not really that left out), police officers and fire fighters made more than everyone else because of the, absolutely, important roles they play in our society. That said, we don't. So it sucks, but, it's pretty easy to understand why.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Of course they are. It's funny how many are broke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52
    Why is money such a big deal? Is having 300M a lot worse than having 100M and for that matter, isn't 1M more than enough to live on? Not saying players should only get paid 1M but, this ties into the idea if baseball should have a salary cap.
    As a friend of mine says: "That's something a non-rich person would say."

Don't think of them as athletes, think of them as entertainers... like musicians, etc. They make a lot of money because a whole lot of people like what they do and keep coming back for more.

vCash
    Yes and no some players really worker their *** off and they really respect the fans and the game while others just rely on talent and have little care of what we think or if they win. But we're gonna watch regardless of how much they make

vCash
    Overpaid? No

Greedy? Yes

vCash
    Us fans are are the main reason they get these deals, we shell out the money to watch and buy the merchandise.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast