Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

couple questions about legs

Ok, I've never been 100% confident with my squat and deadlift form, no matter how many videos and articles I see about how to do them. So maybe its a mental thing for me, maybe not, I don't know. Anyway, after a 3-5 sets of squats, I feel tightness in my lower back. Its not painful, its just a little tight, as though my lower back muscles got a bit a workout. Nothing with bone or anything like that. Should I worry about this?

Second question is, my main leg exercises are squats and leg press, then I'll do a little something more like hamstring or quad curls. I don't really feel like I'm working out the inner thigh muscles on my legs. Any suggestions?

vCash
    Take a video of your form

vCash
    a video of your form would be best

but squats done properly do work your lower back. however, if it's tight with no pain, my guess would be that you didn't warm up properly.

vCash
    My advice would just be to squeeze your glutes as your pushing up. A lot of people who struggle when squatting tend to try to lock out the back on the upward motion, and merely letting themselves fold/collapse on the way down.

Side note: I really don't understand why most gyms place the mirrors in front of the squat rack. Most people could easily fix their form if they could see themselves from the side.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    aight, thought people might say making a vid is the best thing. Hopefully I'll remember next week when I do legs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    aight, thought people might say making a vid is the best thing. Hopefully I'll remember next week when I do legs
    definitely the best thing. I've been doing squats for over a year and made a video last week to double check things. You can always improve something and the only way to know is to video it.

the so you think you can squat videos on youtube are great but again you have to actually see what you're doing to make adjustments

vCash
    I have been doing squats for years and I'm still making adjustments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    My advice would just be to squeeze your glutes as your pushing up. A lot of people who struggle when squatting tend to try to lock out the back on the upward motion, and merely letting themselves fold/collapse on the way down.

Side note: I really don't understand why most gyms place the mirrors in front of the squat rack. Most people could easily fix their form if they could see themselves from the side.
    It's tough to turn your head and look at yourself from the side thru the plates. I find the frontal view more helpful. The side view benifits with deadlifting though

vCash
    A few things I always check before ever squatting are
    1.Feet, are they shoulder width apart. Are my feet pointed the same(slightly outward).
    2.Is the weight equally balanced on my shoulders.
    3.Do I look sexy, haha JP

Then AS I squat I focus on a spot on the ceiling, and keep my chest out(kinda tough to hunch your back when you do these).
    I also check every so often if I'm leaning as I have a tendency to use one leg to bare more of the weight by doing so.

But about the pain. Never push thru it, especially with your back. I'm having a back issue now and I'm going to get it checked out as it's made me fall to my knees with pain a few times(however dramatic that sounds)

Good luck

vCash
    The easiest way I could explain proper squat form would be like this....imagine your form when you're about to sit on the toilet, but keep your chest out and chin up. Let the bar rest on your traps, 90 degree bent at the knees and not necessary to lock out, hope that helps a bit