Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Maybe we can hope he was doing a ton of out of work conditioning to give him an edge and perhaps the time off will do him well?

Trying to see the glass half full here.
    Didn't he go to 5 straight Pro-Bowls before last year? I mean he didn't have a camp with Baltimore or anything I remember and he was pretty bad. But got to love the upside if he can be half of what he was. Low risk, high reward sort of move.

Mmmmm ... McBuckets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Rules View Post
    I say give Brown a shot at starting at RG. But this is Tice and he does things differently.
    What the **** is it with you people and wanting to make OTs into OGs? Goddamn.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Probably because the scouts had him ranked as a 3-4 rd OG prospect. So, if "you people" are referring to the scouts during draft time, then I guess that I am with "them people". The same people who also had Carimi ranked as a RT.

vCash
    Agreed, it annoys me. I think people think "o he had the athleticism to play play tackle then he must be able to play guard" it doesn't work like that they are completely different positions. Sure you can force a guy in there on short notice and he can maybe play passably but, they'll be at least a couple mistakes a game that he wouldn't have otherwise made just because he's out of position. It's like saying you could switch Urlacher and Briggs and they be just as effective in each others spots.

And I know Brown "projected" as a guard in the NFL but that doesn't mean he is one. The Bears have been working him at tackle for a reason.

Mmmmm ... McBuckets

vCash
    04/19/2012 - Brown, a native of Magnolia, Miss., would love to be the latest small-school lineman turned NFL standout. Scouts consider him a raw but natural athlete with good range. Some question his overall strength. Despite not playing regularly against top-echelon talent, Brown believes he can become a mauler in the NFL. "I'm a better run-blocker," he said. "I've been told that I have a great punch, and that helps me out in the run game and the passing game, too." Brown, who started at left tackle in all 38 games he played for Troy, has had plenty to prove during the past few months. In Senior Bowl practices, he struggled at times in his

move to playing guard, a position scouts say better suits his skills and gives him an advantage against less athletic interior linemen. Eventually he began to pick up the nuances of playing inside. "It was definitely different because I've never really played the position," Brown said. "It was a very different experience playing guard, but as the week progressed, I started getting a little better." - Nakia Hogan, The Times-Picayune

vCash
    Probably because the scouts had him ranked as a 3-4 rd OG prospect. So, if "you people" are referring to the scouts during draft time, then I guess that I am with "them people". The same people who also had Carimi ranked as a RT.
    Because Gabe Carimi is a RT...anybody who ever watched Gabe in college (who knew a lick about playing OL) could have told you he'd fail at LT.

As for Brown, yeah, I really trust Mel Kiper's opinion regarding the success of players. Kiper's great at figuring out where players go. He's not a football analyst, though. He's a prospect analyst. There's a huge difference.

Why Brown would fail at OG - his footwork is sloppy, and he stands straight up. Being slow off the ball, weak after contact, and incredibly vertical = getting destroyed by DTs. If you put him on the end and get him to sit down, he possesses a quickness off the ball that would eliminate/reduce the threat of a DE coming off of the edge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditka'sMustache View Post
    Agreed, it annoys me. I think people think "o he had the athleticism to play play tackle then he must be able to play guard" it doesn't work like that they are completely different positions. Sure you can force a guy in there on short notice and he can maybe play passably but, they'll be at least a couple mistakes a game that he wouldn't have otherwise made just because he's out of position. It's like saying you could switch Urlacher and Briggs and they be just as effective in each others spots.

And I know Brown "projected" as a guard in the NFL but that doesn't mean he is one. The Bears have been working him at tackle for a reason.
    I don't have a lot of faith in our coaching staff going against what the scouts have been saying as of late. Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi are fine examples of such.

vCash
    I don't have a lot of faith in our coaching staff going against what the scouts have been saying as of late. Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi are fine examples of such.
    No, they're fine examples of our OL coaching staff being garbage. That doesn't necessarily mean we haven't drafted talented players.

vCash
    No, they're fine examples of our OL coaching staff being garbage. That doesn't necessarily mean we haven't drafted talented players.
    Exactly. If a prospect doesn't pan out, the majority of the time it's bad coaching. In my experience anyway.

Mmmmm ... McBuckets

vCash
    Which is my point! Bad coaching is why the Bears has Brown at OT instead of OG. The same bad coaching that moved Williams to OG and is now moving Carimi to OG.

vCash
    Exactly. If a prospect doesn't pan out, the majority of the time it's bad coaching. In my experience anyway.
    Ehh...I don't know if I'd go that far. With Williams, we saw him playing solid football at LT. *move to RT*...sucked at RT? *move to LT*...plays well? *move to LG*...plays well but gets hurt? *release from team*

vCash
    Which is my point! Bad coaching is why the Bears has Brown at OT instead of OG. The same bad coaching that moved Williams to OG and is now moving Carimi to OG.
    Face. Palm.

Carimi is going to OG because every ****ing one of our OGs is injured. Not sure if you got that memo. Brown is playing OG for us, dude, and it's because we don't have another option this week.

Brown at OT, for the reasons you so conveniently ignored, makes way more sense than Brown at OG.

vCash
    Ehh...I don't know if I'd go that far. With Williams, we saw him playing solid football at LT. *move to RT*...sucked at RT? *move to LT*...plays well? *move to LG*...plays well but gets hurt? *release from team*
    Williams was handled poorly. But I can't tell you how many guys I've seen suffer from lack of basic technique and fundamentals. Again it's not every time.

But I think we can all agree the Bears are in this situation because of the mismanagement of their players and how they coached them.

Mmmmm ... McBuckets

vCash
    Williams was handled poorly. But I can't tell you how many guys I've seen suffer from lack of basic technique and fundamentals. Again it's not every time.

But I think we can all agree the Bears are in this situation because of the mismanagement of their players and how they coached them.
    Agreed!

vCash
    We also need to realize we are right in the midst of a playoff and division race. Putting UDFA's in and moving our 1st round pick to G after a bad half of the season is not a great idea. Our line is ****, we all know this, as does the organization. We need to keep the most stable line possible, which would mean the line that ended the game last weekend should be it until Spencer gets back.
    No ideas for the moment.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast