Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke

vCash
    yeah I dont see how hes a risk tbh plz dont tell me its only cuz he had 1 good season, take a look at the past 3 seasons with link below.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/4695/ra-dickey

and Plz don't tell me his age is a risk, phil Niekro the most famous knuckleball pitcher, pitched great until age 45.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...iekrph01.shtml

so wheres the risk? lol

vCash
    They can still sign Josh 24 million for 4 years is alot better then 24.5 for 6 years is alot different

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    I'm pissed. Yes, the pricetag was high, but surely we could've afforded $24.5m over 6 years...6 years...what we were willing to give Lee.

So now we give up prospects for a Dickey or Shields? **** that.

I'll be even more pissed if we are somehow able to pay Hamilton the $25m he wants. As if a position player that plays 3/4 of a season with a piss poor attitude is somehow more valuable than acquiring top pitchers.

I am with you on this one, I dont see how in the world the Rangers let the Dodgers sign Greinke for the contract he signed. Especially after it was reported that pretty much money wasnt going to be an issue for the Rangers to sign him and that the Rangers "blew him away" with their pitch to him. I have a feeling a lot of those reports were way overblown because if they werent, then there is absolutely no excuse as to why we shouldnt have beat that offer when all reports were pointing to him surpassing $161+ mil. Makes absolutely no sense right now.

Quote Originally Posted by josh81589 View Post
    I'm kind of glad we didn't get greinke. Paying someone 24.5 mil a year for not even being a top 10 pitcher in the league isn't good business. Next year kersgaw and verlander will be free agents hopefully and maybe we can snag one of them. We will probably overpay Hamilton now though : (
    1st off, no way Kershaw and Verlander make it to free agency especially with all the money both those teams have thrown around in recent years. 2nd, if we dont sign Hamilton now, we will definitely be a worse team than last year. So unless they got something up their sleeve for an ace, I hope they resign Hamilton so we don't have to look for a replacement bat now also. They have a ton of money and it is really starting to piss me off that they are not utilizing it to make this team better. They could have easily beat the Dodgers offer to Greinke and kept assets rather than having to look in the trade market for pitch which could risk our future. Just plain dumb moves are being made and it is starting to show that these owners care more about their profits that sticking money in the team to make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3ourProspects View Post
    lol have fun having the angels winning the division
    did you copy and paste that statement from last year?

Quote Originally Posted by bhooks80 View Post
    if they didn't sign Greinke for that contract no way we re-sign Josh.
    They have money to spend so why not sign him? he should actually be cheaper than Greinke in the long run as it is not looking like teams are willing to go more than 4 years at $25 mil per. So if we don't at least match that I will be so ****ing pissed now that we lost out on Greinke, especially if it is the Mariners are the team that is offering that because there is just absolutely no reason why they should let him go to another team within the division.....At this point, I would be happy with signing Hamilton and trading for Shields. Greinke obviously would have been the better option, but maybe with the way the potential Upton trade talks have been going they might be thinking they won't be able to acquire him so maybe they think they should take Hamilton over Greinke and trade for a pitcher over a hitter....that scenario would make sense but, IMHO, it just is not the right move....but hey, we shall see how the rest of the offseason plays out. Young is gone so now they have room to let other young guys play and he netted us a pen arm so I think we might just need one more pen arm and we are done there (although I am very worried about the quality of arms we now have in the pen). So now sign Hamilton and trade for Shields (or preferably Price if they can persuade the Rays) and I think we end up being slightly better than last year yet still not good enough to win a championship unfortunately.

vCash
    I don't think they will bring Josh back still, but not signing Greinke makes it much more likely than it was.

vCash
    yeah I dont see how hes a risk tbh plz dont tell me its only cuz he had 1 good season, take a look at the past 3 seasons with link below.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/4695/ra-dickey

and Plz don't tell me his age is a risk, phil Niekro the most famous knuckleball pitcher, pitched great until age 45.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...iekrph01.shtml

so wheres the risk? lol
    I actually wasn't aware how good his previous 2 seasons were. Thank you, in that case I wouldn't mind trading Cruz and a mid tier prospect for him. I don't think he will continue this though
    Fck the Heat
    Go Mavs

vCash
    LOL by trading for shields u do know you guys would have to be sending Olt + Perez + another decent prospect? and who knows if the rays even do that, but your farm system would def. be raped and ransacked if u traded for shields, dickey is the cheaper and better pitcher imo and u would have dickey loked up for 3-4 years and shields how much 1?

vCash
    LOL by trading for shields u do know you guys would have to be sending Olt + Perez + another decent prospect? and who knows if the rays even do that, but your farm system would def. be raped and ransacked if u traded for shields, dickey is the cheaper and better pitcher imo and u would have dickey loked up for 3-4 years and shields how much 1?
    Since you don't even know the facts of the players contracts you are talking about, I will just throw out your entire post as nonsensical trolling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by josh81589 View Post
    I actually wasn't aware how good his previous 2 seasons were. Thank you, in that case I wouldn't mind trading Cruz and a mid tier prospect for him. I don't think he will continue this though
    yeah he had a very nice season thsi year, but he will for sure put up seasons like 2010 and 2011, I think a tad better than 2010 and 2011 but not as good as his 2012 season. hes just an absolute work horse too, eats so many innings per season and per game, and he gives u a qs 4 out of 5 of the time if not better.

vCash
    dude, stick to your Angels forum troll....you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes Shields would be expensive prospect wise, but to say our farm system would "def. be raped" is just absolutely ignorant....not every team has a weak farm system like the Angels, there are about 7-8 specs that all have higher ceilings that Olt and Perez in our system right now with about 10 below them that have solid projections as well.....plus, if we sign Hamilton and trade for Shields it is basically the same thing as signing Greinke and trading for Upton....so please stick to your Angels forum because no one wants to read comments from the peanut gallery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
    I am with you on this one, I dont see how in the world the Rangers let the Dodgers sign Greinke for the contract he signed. Especially after it was reported that pretty much money wasnt going to be an issue for the Rangers to sign him and that the Rangers "blew him away" with their pitch to him. I have a feeling a lot of those reports were way overblown because if they werent, then there is absolutely no excuse as to why we shouldnt have beat that offer when all reports were pointing to him surpassing $161+ mil. Makes absolutely no sense right now.

1st off, no way Kershaw and Verlander make it to free agency especially with all the money both those teams have thrown around in recent years. 2nd, if we dont sign Hamilton now, we will definitely be a worse team than last year. So unless they got something up their sleeve for an ace, I hope they resign Hamilton so we don't have to look for a replacement bat now also. They have a ton of money and it is really starting to piss me off that they are not utilizing it to make this team better. They could have easily beat the Dodgers offer to Greinke and kept assets rather than having to look in the trade market for pitch which could risk our future. Just plain dumb moves are being made and it is starting to show that these owners care more about their profits that sticking money in the team to make it better.

did you copy and paste that statement from last year?

They have money to spend so why not sign him? he should actually be cheaper than Greinke in the long run as it is not looking like teams are willing to go more than 4 years at $25 mil per. So if we don't at least match that I will be so ****ing pissed now that we lost out on Greinke, especially if it is the Mariners are the team that is offering that because there is just absolutely no reason why they should let him go to another team within the division.....At this point, I would be happy with signing Hamilton and trading for Shields. Greinke obviously would have been the better option, but maybe with the way the potential Upton trade talks have been going they might be thinking they won't be able to acquire him so maybe they think they should take Hamilton over Greinke and trade for a pitcher over a hitter....that scenario would make sense but, IMHO, it just is not the right move....but hey, we shall see how the rest of the offseason plays out. Young is gone so now they have room to let other young guys play and he netted us a pen arm so I think we might just need one more pen arm and we are done there (although I am very worried about the quality of arms we now have in the pen). So now sign Hamilton and trade for Shields (or preferably Price if they can persuade the Rays) and I think we end up being slightly better than last year yet still not good enough to win a championship unfortunately.
    Hello, I am a Dodger fan first and foremost. Just had to comment on the bold though. I totally get what you were talking about these reporters overblowing everything. Its all smoke and mirrors with these reporters. They get fed **** until the deals are basically done. I mean first it was the Dodgers are the favorites for Greinke hands down. Then the Rangers are the favorites and the Dodgers dont feel positive about Greinke. Then the Dodgers sign him out of nowhere for a large contract. I am a fan of this deal from my teams perspective as losing money is far better than losing prospects in terms of an overpay. I honestly thought we had no shot and he was your guys' pitcher to sign. Goes to show, reporters dont know **** until the deals are official.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Since you don't even know the facts of the players contracts you are talking about, I will just throw out your entire post as nonsensical trolling.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...hielja02.shtml

Hes a freeagent in 2014, so u have him for 1 year congrats, u think hes gona sign a 2-3 year deal with u for 25-30 mil like dickey will? hope u don't think so, he will be looking for more like a 80- 80+ mil contract thats for sure. u guys get dickey for 5 mil for 2013 and he he would do a sign and trade with u guys since you guys are contenders, like I said I'll take dickey's 3 years for 30-35mil for jsut olt and a smaller prospect than shields's 1 year rental, for olt + perez + ... not to mention I think dickey is also the btter pitcher just comapre them the last 3 years, dickey outperforms him easily lol your the one that needs to know his facts.

P.S. I'm a big mets fan

vCash
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...hielja02.shtml

Hes a freeagent in 2014, so u have him for 1 year congrats, u think hes gona sign a 2-3 year deal with u for 25-30 mil like dickey will? hope u don't think so, he will be looking for more like a 80- 80+ mil contract thats for sure. u guys get dickey for 5 mil for 2013 and he he would do a sign and trade with u guys since you guys are contenders, like I said I'll take dickey's 3 years for 30-35mil for jsut olt and a smaller prospect than shields's 1 year rental, for olt + perez + ... not to mention I think dickey is also the btter pitcher just comapre them the last 3 years, dickey outperforms him easily lol your the one that needs to know his facts.

P.S. I'm a big mets fan

Hmmm....national league pitcher VS. an AL East pitcher with success.....I wonder which one most people would prefer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
    Hmmm....national league pitcher VS. an AL East pitcher with success.....I wonder which one most people would prefer?
    you'd be getting ra dickey for 3 years not 1 like shields, you'd only be really sending olt instead of olt + perez + for shields, and dickey has pitched in hte al the last 3 years here the stats, its a small sample size but none the less a sample.

2012 - 3 GS, 2-0, 24 IP, 5 ER, 28K, 5BB (Against BAL, NYY, TB)
    2011 - 4 GS, 2-0, 26 IP, 6 ER, 24K, 9BB (Against DET, NYYx2, OAK)
    2010 - 3 GS, 3-0, 21 IP, 3 ER, 19K, 5BB (Against BAL, CLE, DET)

would suck to get stuck with Lohose I bet he'd get eaten alive against AL hitting.
    Last edited by I<3ourProspects; 12-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.

vCash
    If we miss out on Greinke and Hamilton, then I have no idea how this offseason can be seen as a success...not with the losses we've already taken this offseason.

If we do miss out on Josh again (which, I still don't want Josh back), it basically boils down to this...

A) If we trade for Upton...all he's doing is replacing Josh, and even then it's a bit of a downgrade.

B) Soto replaced Napoli. This is a downgrade.

C) We brought in Soria, but lost Adams (presumably), Feldman and Uehara. I love Soria, but we'd be relying on a very young relief core, so this is a downgrade. If Feliz comes back healthy sooner than later, then perhaps we'd return to maintaining what we had.

Bringing in a James Shields would improve the rotation, but we would have to give up prospects to get him. If you factor in the need to make an Upton type trade too, then we start depleting the farm quite a bit.

So, best case scenario (minus a few minor pieces), it would be:

ADDING: Upton, Shields, Soria, + (minor pieces)
    LOSING: Hamilton, Young, Napoli, Adams, Uehara, prospects like Olt and Perez, + (other minor pieces including Feldman and Dempster)

I just don't see how this can be thought of as us upgrading our team and if the team last year couldn't win it all and now we've downgraded it...then how are we going to be a contender?

There's still some time, but I feel like the window has officially shut for the next couple years.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Ditto Stripe i agree we are lots weaker and the Angels and A'S are better and if Seattle gets Hamilton hell we might be fighting with Seattle for the bottom of the division instead of the top

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast