Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Anyone ever coach before?

So next spring I really want to get into coaching, now its only going to be for the Park District, considering I stopped playing soccer after middle school but follow it a lot so I gotta start off at the really basic levels. Anyways if you have, do you have any tips or like any good websites for drills and stuff? I'm starting to look up stuff now, I want to take this really seriously and be the best coach out there haha Thanks
    Eastern Illinois Class of 2012'

vCash
    What park? I'll join so I can defeat you in the finals

Too many what Ifs

vCash
    My only real tips are, try to be a players coach. When you're coaching at the level you, I and the average Joe are coaching, taking everything way too seriously and being a dick doesn't work because it's not the EPL you know?

I'm not saying be serious, I'm just saying have fun with the guys. One thing I heavily recommend is conditioning, you can have all the talent in the world, but if they're not conditioned, you're in trouble.

The rest just has to do with the team, but work passing into the system. Tons and tons of passing and crossing. Without knowing the players, it's hard to really say do this drill or do that, but I'm sure there are tons of websites out there for drills.

For myself, I'm only 17 but I play an extremely high level, so I've seen coaches do the drill since I was 10, and have them memorized for my players to do.

vCash
    yeah I'm giong to coach middle school so I know I will get some kids who've never played much before, so I've been looking up drills online and stuff, I don't remember many drills since i haven't played in so long, but I know a few friends who played in college that can probably help me to. I don't know I'm really excited though to do this and hopefully its enjoyable.
    Eastern Illinois Class of 2012'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubfan23 View Post
    So next spring I really want to get into coaching, now its only going to be for the Park District, considering I stopped playing soccer after middle school but follow it a lot so I gotta start off at the really basic levels. Anyways if you have, do you have any tips or like any good websites for drills and stuff? I'm starting to look up stuff now, I want to take this really seriously and be the best coach out there haha Thanks
    i've been coaching for 23 years. try worldclasscoaching.com. great website.
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash
    tips:

1. make it fun
    2. don't take yourself too serious
    3. teach the basics but in an environment where the kids get plenty of touches
    4. encourage creativity & taking chances. if they aren't making mistakes they aren't trying.
    5. show your love of the game and the kids will follow.
    6. keep the parents in the loop. trust me, life as a coach will be easier.

good luck!
    Cheers,
    --Tank

vCash
    You should coach women league. Thats the best.

vCash
    1 v 1 drills are fun. Check the RBNY youtube channel for some basic 1 v 1 skills.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nyrbtrainingprograms

There's some more advanced moves built in.

Personally, I've never coached and I don't have the personality to do it.

The channel isn't very technical though in what you're trying to do w/ your body.
    Last edited by arkanian215; 12-22-2012 at 05:39 PM.