Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Could always package a guy like Flores for an outfielder.
    Unless we're getting a franchise outfielder like Kemp or McCutchen, than we need at least 2 good outfielders, that either have so-so OBP(.320) and power(.460 SLG) or so-so OBP(.320 OBP); speed(15 - 20 SBs) and above average defense.

To get either 2 of those outfielders(power hitting outfielders or good fielding speed guys), you're going to have to give up more than Flores, probably Tapia; Fulmer, Adrelin, and Mejia or Familia.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Why not, we're going to be awful anyway. If we're going to suck, at least we should see if Mejia or Familia have any future as starters. Have Familia and Mejia battle it out for the 5th starter in Spring Training, and roll w/ one of them for 13 - 18 starts til Wheeler is ready. Worst case scenario Mejia or Familia is awful for us in 13-18 starts and we move one of those guys back to the bullpen once Wheeler comes up, or Mejia/Familia does well and we have a 6 man rotation once Wheeler comes up.
    Because it's a ton of money to pay someone to play for another team. I don't know how much more simple it gets than that. On another practical side, having Johan around for one more season buys the younger pitchers another year of development and also gives them a year to feed off of one of the best pitching minds of this generation.

That alone might be worth more than $5 million, even if this team isn't going anywhere.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Why isn't that a good idea?

1. we save MONEY
    2. we get back pieces...potentially a legit young starting caliber position player.

Whats the sense in not eating his contract and keeping him? What's his value to us for 2013? Help us win 80 games instead of 70? If that?
    You have to take the chance that he starts off good, and then get something decent for him.

right now no one is going to give up anything for him, saving a few million isn't worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Semantics.
    They will never get Johnny Semantics for Santana. Mike Mundane maybe, but never Johnny Semantics. The Angels would want more. We'd have to probably throw in Jackie Churlish.

vCash
    His value is equal to poop right now. That's why.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    They will never get Johnny Semantics for Santana. Mike Mundane maybe, but never Johnny Semantics. The Angels would want more. We'd have to probably throw in Jackie Churlish.
    At this point I'd settle for Freddy Oxymoron.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    At this point I'd settle for Freddy Oxymoron.
    I'm not sure who that is, but I think I remember Kiner mentioning him.

vCash
    We should stop talking about eating salary and trading Santana. It's bad business and he doesn't have significant trade value now anyway. We really have only two options with Johan.

1. He gets off to a good start, like last year, and we shop him at the deadline, maybe we still have to eat some of his remaining salary, and get back an elite prospect, as we did for Beltran, or a package of good prospects.

2. He's good, but not good enough to bring back the package we're looking for at the deadline. In that case we keep him and make him a qualifying offer and get a draft pick when he signs with someone else. (On the off chance that he accepts the offer, we're stuck with him at about $13.5 million for another year, but we might be able to deal him at the deadline of 2014)
    Last edited by dunbummin; 11-27-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    I'm not sure who that is, but I think I remember Kiner mentioning him.
    Kiner used to say his name so often that no one ever heard it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    We should stop talking about eating salary and trading Santana. It's bad business and he doesn't have significant trade value now anyway. We really have only two options with Johan.

1. He gets off to a good start, like last year, and we shop him at the deadline, maybe we still have to eat some of his remaining salary, and get back an elite prospect, as we did for Beltran, or a package of good prospects.

2. He's good, but not good enough to bring back the package we're looking for at the deadline. In that case we keep him and make him a qualifying offer and get a draft pick when he signs with someone else. (On the off chance that he accepts the offer, we're stuck with him at about $13.5 million for another year, but we might be able to deal him at the deadline of 2014)
    There is a zero percent chance the Mets give Santana a qualifying offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    He's owed 24 million and a buyout of 5.5 million and he's injured.
    You are not getting equal value for him.
    He'll get dealt at the deadline with the Mets picking up a portion of the remaining salary.

Hopefully we get a good prospect in return

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    He'll get dealt at the deadline with the Mets picking up a portion of the remaining salary.

Hopefully we get a good prospect in return
    He'll go to the Yankees, that's my prediction.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    "Rather have Pelfrey than Santana".......I don't think so!

vCash
    I'd like to go back to the premise that others have mentioned as well - and that is to keep the World Champion SF Giants in mind. They did it with their starting rotation, a solid bullpen (even though their main closer was hurt), a lot of timely if not powerful hitting, and reasonably solid defense. The Mets first half of '12 was not that different, except for our bullpen which was unreliable. Lets remember what a strong rotation can do and lets not be so quick to play fantasy team GM with our best players. If we can bolster the OF, and bullpen with 1 good acquisition for each, we can both rebuild and improve simultaneously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Unless we're getting a franchise outfielder like Kemp or McCutchen, than we need at least 2 good outfielders, that either have so-so OBP(.320) and power(.460 SLG) or so-so OBP(.320 OBP); speed(15 - 20 SBs) and above average defense.

To get either 2 of those outfielders(power hitting outfielders or good fielding speed guys), you're going to have to give up more than Flores, probably Tapia; Fulmer, Adrelin, and Mejia or Familia.
    They certainly have the money to add one of those guys in free agency. Even Cody Ross would fit your .320 OBP./.460 SLG mold. Victorino would be even better, a good OBP guy with speed and defense.

Maybe you can trade for a young player somewhere who can be the other guy there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast