Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Why no talk about trading Johan?

Theres been a lot of chatter about the Mets dealing Niese or Dickey for a position player this offseason...I am starting to think we are best off keeping these two, who once Dickey is resigned, will both be on team friendly contracts and have the ability to be at the top of our rotation for the foreseeable future.

Santana however, will be a FA after this season ($5mil buy-out) and while he has injury questions he showed last year that no matter the injury, when he is fully healthy he is capable of pitching like a #1/2 starter.

With Harvey, Wheeler, Dickey, Niese, Gee, Mejia, Familia all capable starters for us...we dont need Santana. Maybe he has no value now because he ended the season poorly due to ankle/back injuries, so maybe it's better holding onto him until the season starts and then once he shows he can still pitch when healthy...I definitely think a contending team looking for SP help would give up a solid package for Johan, one not much worse then a potential Dickey/Niese return.

We realistically are not going to compete in 2013 so I see no reason to keep Santana on this roster and watch him become a FA after the season and lose out on a nice return we can get for him. I know he is still getting paid $20-25mil for this upcoming season, but I dont see why Sandy wouldn't be willing to eat most/all the contract in a potential trade, since he is a FA in 2014. Maybe Wheeler can even replace Johan in the rotation.

I'll throw out of a proposal...Johan to LAA for Peter Bourjos? The Angels have no problem taking on players with big contracts and they lost the other "Johan" Santana this offseason, also Haren is gone, so SP is a need for them.

What do you guys think? Would much rather wait until midseason (or ASAP) to trade Johan opposed to trading Niese/Dickey who have much more value to our future than Johan.

vCash
    He's coming off an injury.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    He's coming off an injury.
    A lower back injury if memory served correctly? That's not a shoulder/elbow. He came back from a much more serious injury last season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    A lower back injury if memory served correctly? That's not a shoulder/elbow. He came back from a much more serious injury last season...
    He's owed 24 million and a buyout of 5.5 million and he's injured.
    You are not getting equal value for him.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    I have absolutely nothing to add to this. Quoted for emphasis.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    He'll get dealt at the deadline with the Mets picking up a portion of the remaining salary.

Hopefully we get a good prospect in return

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    He'll get dealt at the deadline with the Mets picking up a portion of the remaining salary.

Hopefully we get a good prospect in return
    He'll go to the Yankees, that's my prediction.

vCash
    With the money he is owed and the injuries we wouldn't get any value. The only way to get value would be to pay most of if not all of his contract. He has more value to us then on the trade market ATM.

Now if he is fully healthy, having a great year, and the Mets are out of it at the deadline he will most likely be gone.

vCash
    Correction he's owed 25.5 million.

vCash
    Correction he's owed 25.5 million.
    Semantics.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Semantics.
    They will never get Johnny Semantics for Santana. Mike Mundane maybe, but never Johnny Semantics. The Angels would want more. We'd have to probably throw in Jackie Churlish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    They will never get Johnny Semantics for Santana. Mike Mundane maybe, but never Johnny Semantics. The Angels would want more. We'd have to probably throw in Jackie Churlish.
    At this point I'd settle for Freddy Oxymoron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    At this point I'd settle for Freddy Oxymoron.
    I'm not sure who that is, but I think I remember Kiner mentioning him.

vCash
    I mentioned that the Mets should salary dump him to get around $5M in return. I'm sure some team desperate for a possible front-line arm will make that gamble.

I'd rather do that and bring back Pelfrey.

Dickey
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Pelfrey

If Pelfrey is pitching well, he can be traded near the deadline to make room for Wheeler, or if someone gets hurt, he can take their place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I mentioned that the Mets should salary dump him to get around $5M in return. I'm sure some team desperate for a possible front-line arm will make that gamble.

I'd rather do that and bring back Pelfrey.

Dickey
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Pelfrey

If Pelfrey is pitching well, he can be traded near the deadline to make room for Wheeler, or if someone gets hurt, he can take their place.
    You want the Mets to eat 26 million? Not bloody likely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast