Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How would you spend $20 million this off season?

Assuming the Mets owe Bay $6 million for this year, they have $62.05 million commited to contracts for 2013. Using MLBTradeRumors arbitration predictions, an additional $8.5 goes to four arb eligibles (excl. non-tenders Pelfrey, Torres & Acosta) and another $5 million estimated for 10 pre-arbs. That adds up to $75.55 million.

Their initial payroll probably won't exceed $95 million, with normal creep for call ups over the season bringing it to near $100 million. So they have about $20 million to spend, with 6 holes to fill - 2 starting outfielders, a catcher, a utility guy, and 2 relievers. One, or maybe two, may be filled from within, but they'll have to spend on the outfielders, the catcher and one reliever (not Byrdak) and probably the utility guy. That's a lot to get with $20 million.

They can fill the holes either with trades or by signing free agents. How would you spend it?
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    On a lot of gorgeous women?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    On a lot of gorgeous women?
    I suspect you'd die of exhaustion after about $800,000. (Jeez, you're fast.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Assuming the Mets owe Bay $6 million for this year, they have $62.05 million commited to contracts for 2013. Using MLBTradeRumors arbitration predictions, an additional $8.5 goes to four arb eligibles (excl. non-tenders Pelfrey, Torres & Acosta) and another $5 million estimated for 10 pre-arbs. That adds up to $75.55 million.

Their initial payroll probably won't exceed $95 million, with normal creep for call ups over the season bringing it to near $100 million. So they have about $20 million to spend, with 6 holes to fill - 2 starting outfielders, a catcher, a utility guy, and 2 relievers. One, or maybe two, may be filled from within, but they'll have to spend on the outfielders, the catcher and one reliever (not Byrdak) and probably the utility guy. That's a lot to get with $20 million.

They can fill the holes either with trades or by signing free agents. How would you spend it?
    Might be enough for a season ticket.

vCash
    See my post. We need two impact outfielders and they would cost about $20M for 2013 with somewhat backloaded contracts. The catcher could be Shoppach again or something similar at a low cost...same for the relievers. $5M should get those small holes filled and the payroll stays at $100M. If the team excels and needs a piece to make a pennant run in July they could spend more if the seats are full again. Without spending this off season they doom the team to another 75-80 win dull season unless everyone is healthy and has solid years.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Get Cody Ross and Victorino, then resign Stoppach. Still a non-playoff team, but definitely a .500 team at worst, 87 wins at best.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    I'd start up a non-profit organization called "Chests for Charity," in which attractive young ladies and/or famous celebrity babes would pose topless after a fundraiser reaches it's goal.

If Jennifer Love Hewitt signed on, we'd cure cancer tomorrow.

vCash
    I'd sign BJ Upton back-loaded, trade for Alex Gordon and Tyler Flowers/JP Arencibia

LF-Gordon
    2B-Murphy
    3B-Wright
    1B-Davis
    CF-Upton
    RF-Nieuwenhuis
    C-Arencibia/Flowers
    SS-Tejada

vCash
    well,NBA is a business!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    See my post. We need two impact outfielders and they would cost about $20M for 2013 with somewhat backloaded contracts. The catcher could be Shoppach again or something similar at a low cost...same for the relievers. $5M should get those small holes filled and the payroll stays at $100M. If the team excels and needs a piece to make a pennant run in July they could spend more if the seats are full again. Without spending this off season they doom the team to another 75-80 win dull season unless everyone is healthy and has solid years.
    Which two impact outfielders would you get for a total of $20 million this year? Trade or FAs? And what would their contracts have to look like? Be realistic.

Shoppach for about the same $1.135 million as last year? Or a slight raise? (BTW, why do players seem to do well in Boston and then flop when they get to Queens?)

You're already over budget, and you haven't gotten a utility infielder (unless you plan to fill that hole internally) and addressed the bull pen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Get Cody Ross and Victorino, then resign Stoppach. Still a non-playoff team, but definitely a .500 team at worst, 87 wins at best.
    I like both Ross and Victorino. What do their contracts look like? (yrs and $)

You still need to get a utility guy for the bench and a couple of relievers. Can you do that and still keep the total salaries added for 2013 to $20 million with Ross and Victorino?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'd sign BJ Upton back-loaded, trade for Alex Gordon and Tyler Flowers/JP Arencibia

LF-Gordon
    2B-Murphy
    3B-Wright
    1B-Davis
    CF-Upton
    RF-Nieuwenhuis
    C-Arencibia/Flowers
    SS-Tejada
    Gordon's salary for 2013 is $9 million. How would you back load BJ's contract? Give me total yrs and $, then $ for each year.

Who's your utility man? Relievers? And what are you paying each of them?

It's not easy to fill 6 holes with quality ballplayers for $20 million or less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    I like both Ross and Victorino. What do their contracts look like? (yrs and $)

You still need to get a utility guy for the bench and a couple of relievers. Can you do that and still keep the total salaries added for 2013 to $20 million with Ross and Victorino?
    Ross for 3 years/ 33 mil and Victorino 2 years/12 mil.
    The utility guy is V-Spin, and you can use the mil remaining for 2-4 relievers off the scrap heap. Regardless 20 mil will not make this team a contender, but a nice little .500 or 86 win team.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Canon; 11-28-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Upton already signed so there goes that.

I'd still trade for Gordon, sign Victorino, use that scrub we got from the A's as our utility man, use Mejia and Familia in the pen with Edgin, Carson, Francisco, Parnell, and bring in a low-risk guy like Joey Devine with a guy like Mark Lowe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Upton already signed so there goes that.

I'd still trade for Gordon, sign Victorino, use that scrub we got from the A's as our utility man, use Mejia and Familia in the pen with Edgin, Carson, Francisco, Parnell, and bring in a low-risk guy like Joey Devine with a guy like Mark Lowe.
    Gordon would be good in LF, but with his $9 million, I don't see how you can sign Victorino and stay in budget, even with the other low priced guys you're bringing in. The Canon, up above, said sign Victorino for 2 yrs/$12 million. If we could get him for that, I'd jump. But I think he will get 3 or 4 years at about $12 milllion a year or more.

I really don't want Hicks (the scrub) on my team. I'd much rather sign Ryan Theriot for about $1.5 million. Joey Devine didn't pickup a baseball last year. Is he making a comeback? I like Mark Lowe, but I like Sean Burnett better for about the same money. (I haven't seen whether he has resigned with the Nats.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast