Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mets don't expect trades; rotation likely set

The Mets enter the winter meetings under the assumption they will not be wheeling and dealing trade-wise, and that their Opening Day rotation will be the current crop -- R.A. Dickey, Johan Santana, Matt Harvey, Jonathon Niese and Dillon Gee, according to a source aware of the organization’s planning.

The lone foreseeable deviation from that intention to leave the rotation intact, the source added, was if a team spurned in the Zack Greinke bidding decides to overbid in a trade proposal to compensate for the failure to sign the free-agent ace.

“If one of the teams that doesn’t get him peels off and really is looking to overpay because they need a starter, that could change that. That’s a scenario that could play out,” a source said.

Talks with Dickey are described as “progressing.”

OUTFIELD: The Mets would like to add two outfielders, both righty hitters, since Lucas Duda, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Mike Baxter and even Jordany Valdespin are lefty hitters, a team insider confirmed.

Team officials are not resigned to free-agent Scott Hairston departing, but he may get too expensive.

“He’s looking around, obviously,” said a source familiar with Hairston’s demands. “He wants to see what there is. It’s a funny market, that second tier. You just don’t know where it is. It still has to play out.”

Regardless, the Mets would like one of the two outfield signees to be a starter, and the other at least an option to platoon with Nieuwenhuis and/or Baxter. The financial reins are loose enough that the contract for the starting outfield signee can be multiple years. It may or may not be a “name” player, depending on how the market takes off.

“Outfield is definitely the priority,” a team insider said. “I don’t think we’re going to go in thinking we’re going to bottom feed, at least at this point.”

Despite the hullabaloo late in the season about potential trades, the Mets now expect the bulk of their winter additions to come via free agency, not deals. In fact, no notable trade may materialize at all.

CATCHER: On adding a righty-hitting catcher, free-agent Kelly Shoppach remains an option, even if he is not the priority. He was described by a source as “not totally off the table.”

BULLPEN: The Mets enter the winter meetings planning to wait out the reliever market. After getting burned on bad returns last year with Frank Francisco, Ramon Ramirez and to some extent Jon Rauch, they expect to scoop up cheaper inventory late in the offseason and hope they hit a jackpot. Then again, an insider cautioned, the Mets are constructing an internal order of preference, and they could jump if someone high up on their sheet is available even next week at the right price, so the waiting is not totally set in stone.

Team insiders do acknowledge they need to sign at least two relievers -- one of whom is capable of vying with Bobby Parnell for eighth-inning work. The organization feels like they have some flexibility in the middle innings, where Jenrry Mejia and/or Jeurys Familia could pitch in.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    So basically what I got from this is that the Mets are going to re-sign Wright and Dickey and not do anything else. Who are they going to get in the FA market? This is ridiculous.

vCash
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

vCash
    They're happy winning 70 games.

vCash
    Then again it says they migt sign an outfielder for multiple years, I wondr if a guy like Victorino is an option?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Then again it says they migt sign an outfielder for multiple years, I wondr if a guy like Victorino is an option?

I don't really want Victorino. He relies on his speed too much and if he loses it we are stuck with a player with no value to us. Victorino will go to a large market team that can afford to replace him if he declines.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    So earlier in the off season the Mets proclaimed they would fill in their holes via trade. Now they are saying the will look to make minor moves during free agency.

This organization back tracks on every statement they make its absolutely pathetic.

vCash
    I think Bourn relies on speed more than Victorino. I'd sign him for 3/$25M.

vCash
    He's two years older then Bourne. Adding Shane Victorino does not make us a contender so why sign him?

vCash
    If any of these reports are accurate then this is just comical.

First they said 2012 offseason was going to be one in which they focused on improving the team with more "flexibility." Then there was no flexibility and they had to make trades to improve the team.

Now they won't make trades (supposedly) and plan to improve the team through free agency... somehow without spending money.

Reading about this organization's plans is dizzying. And unfortunately their results don't ever justify their methodology.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I'd take a guy like Victorino for the right price. It all depends though. Imagine if we some how snuck in and got a guy like Bourn or Upton? I'd cry. It won't happen, but I'd cry
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    LOL. Looks like we are going to challenge the Marlins for fifth.

I love this line: “Outfield is definitely the priority,” a team insider said. “I don’t think we’re going to go in thinking we’re going to bottom feed, at least at this point.” .

Plenty of time for bottom feeding later.

vCash
    Sounds like another 4th place finish for us again next season. Once again we will get cheap outfielders and relievers. If we don't make any trades during the winter meetings then forget about next season. it will be another lousy year for us.

vCash

Mets don't expect trades; rotation likely set

I am not going to get riled up over this report, but if Sandy makes no deals to try and improve the team, then he needs to get the **** out.

vCash
    I remember Sandy saying in August or September about how changes were going to be made and that they've had the time necessary to assess the team's problems and that we would see some movement this off-season.

Lol at that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast