Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Outfield is Mets' priority at winter meetings

The Mets have several offseason needs, but the agenda item on the front burner at next week's winter meetings will be the outfield, according to sources briefed on the Mets' plans.

If the season started today -- and obviously it doesn't -- the starting outfield likely would be Lucas Duda in left field, Kirk Nieuwenhuis in center field and Mike Baxter in right field. That's all lefty hitters. And none has yet established himself as a full-time player. (The Mets plan to cut loose Andres Torres by Friday's non-tender deadline.)

The second priority for the club is to sign a righty-hitting catcher. The Mets have claimed Anthony Recker off waivers from the Cubs and re-signed Mike Nickeas to a minor league deal, but the organization would prefer an established righty-hitting catcher to pair with Josh Thole.

The club also has to seriously upgrade the bullpen, but that is expected to wait until closer to spring training, with the Mets searching for bargains after overspending on Frank Francisco (owed $6.5 million in 2013) as well as Jon Rauch and Ramon Ramirez last offseason. Rauch and Ramirez currently are free agents. And with those two gone -- and Tim Byrdak (re-signed on a minor league deal) likely unavailable until at least the second half following shoulder surgery -- the Mets have to fill at least three holes.

Currently, Bobby Parnell would be the top set-up option to Francisco, with young Josh Edgin and Robert Carson as the left-handed options. The Mets also could put Jenrry Mejia and/or Jeurys Familia in the 2013 bullpen.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    If the season started today -- and obviously it doesn't -- the starting outfield likely would be Lucas Duda in left field, Kirk Nieuwenhuis in center field and Mike Baxter in right field.
    That's worse than pathetic. Dying to see who they're gonna get.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    What are the options? With Upton going to Philly or Atlanta we need to make a move for a big name player.

vCash
    Trades are the only option.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I don't know who they are going to trade though. I can't wait.

vCash
    The other Hicks.

vCash
    I think Dickey will be traded for an OF. Now who that OF might be is a mystery wrapped inside of an enigma.

vCash
    FA class for 2014 (OFers)

Left fielders

Jason Bay (35) - $17MM vesting option with a $3MM buyout
    Jason Kubel (32) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Mike Morse (32)

David Murphy (32)
    Laynce Nix (33)
    Martin Prado (30)
    Ryan Raburn (33)

Center fielders

Coco Crisp (34) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Rajai Davis (33)
    Jacoby Ellsbury (30)
    Carlos Gomez (28)
    Curtis Granderson (33)
    Franklin Gutierrez (31) - $7.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Tony Gwynn Jr. (31)
    Andres Torres (36)
    Chris Young (30) - $11MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Right fielders

Carlos Beltran (37)
    Shin-Soo Choo (31)
    Nelson Cruz (33)

David DeJesus (34) - $6.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
    Chris Denorfia (33)
    Ben Francisco (32)
    Jeff Francoeur (30)
    Corey Hart (32)
    Hunter Pence (31)
    Jason Repko (33)
    Ryan Sweeney (29)

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...JJHkFbTcAgX.99

Some pretty nice names. We dont have the money to spend big this offseason and I would rather not trade Niese/Dickey....so I would prefer the Mets to wait on a big name OFer until 2014. We can still sign a lesser, cheap guy....not much available though.

Can Valdespin be an everyday OF? He would be more exciting then these guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    The other Hicks.
    Doesn't make sense for the Twins.

vCash
    They need pitching.

vCash
    They need pitching.
    Who would you trade?

vCash
    Familia.

vCash
    Familia.
    Prospect for prospect deals don't happen often. I think they'd want a guy like Niese, so they'd package Hicks in for him. I'd listen to that deal.

vCash
    Would love to see the Mets trade for a guy like Span, and then sign Hart or Ellsbury next season. Having an OF of Duda-Span-Ellsbury/Hart would be pretty good. And with Kirk as the 4th OF.
    I would be very pleased

vCash
    They can probably pick up Shin-soo Choo from Cleveland without giving up too much.

Cubs would probably listen on Tony Campana, a 26 year old fleet footed center fielder. As a reserve outfielder the last two years, he's hitting only .262 with a .306 OBP (not very impressive) but when he gets on he's always a threat to steal. (L/Y 192 PAs, 46 H+11 BB, 30 SBs -and thrown out only 3 times.) In 5 minor league seasons he hit .301 with a .356 OBP. The Cubs need an offensive upgrade at 3B. They might do Murphy for Campana.

I like an OF of Nieuwenhuis-Campana-Choo
    Last edited by dunbummin; 11-28-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast