Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babin Released

vCash
    Babin hasn't produce anything this year and Vinny Curry showed last night that he has a good motor, needed to get him more playing time.
    As for Vick, i dont see who is out there to pick up but i'm in agreement with Steve Young, Foles looks bad, his timing was off and should have been picked 3 times last night, with one being a pick 6.
    that being said i'm more for restructuring Vick contract and get a coach that is willing to run the ball in here.
    if Andy and Marty had called all our games like they did last night with that run heavy offense he wouldn't be on his way out.
    we have a 1 2 punch at RB but we don't use it.
    Eagles offseason:
    [] Hire new coaching staff
    [] Restructure Mike Vick
    [] Sign/draft Starting OLineman
    [] Sign/draft physical cornerbacks
    [] Sign/draft Starting Safeties
    [] Sign/draft Big WR
    [] Sign veteran Safety

vCash
    http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012...e-jason-babin/

In what can certainly be perceived as a shot across the bow, the Eagles released defensive end Jason Babin Tuesday.

“We appreciate everything that Jason has given this team over the last couple of years,” said Andy Reid in a statement. “We wish him all the best as he continues his career. By releasing him today, this gives us an opportunity to give more playing time to some younger guys in the defensive line rotation.”

Though there’s obviously much more to it than that.

It has been a rather dramatic fall for the 32-year-old after an equally sharp ascent. Teamed with Jim Washburn in Tennessee in 2010, Babin racked up 12 1/2 sacks after posting no more than five sacks in a season over his first six years in the NFL. He followed his defensive line coach to Philadelphia and had 18 sacks last year, earning a trip to the Pro Bowl in the process.

He had 5 1/2 sacks this season through 11 games. There is much more to the game and the position than sacks, of course, and one criticism of Babin is that he would sell out and neglect gap and run responsibility in the name of getting to the quarterback. He appeared to be out of position a good bit in Monday’s game against the Panthers.

Babin signed a five-year, $27 million deal in 2011 and was making a base salary of $5 million this season. The deal included just a $1 million signing bonus. According to multiple reports the Eagles do not owe Babin anything, as termination pay is a one-time benefit, and Babin collected when he was cut by Seattle.

With plenty of bodies at defensive end, the Eagles were going to part with Babin anyway this offseason in all likelihood. As the Reid statement suggests, this is a way to get more of the young guys, like Vinny Curry, some more playing time down the stretch.

However, it can also serve as a sign that nobody’s job is safe and that there will be consequences if a certain level of play is not reached.

Things have not been completely harmonious on the defensive front during this seven-game slide. According to a source, a frustrated Trent Cole walked out during a defensive line meeting recently. Behind the Wide-9, the defense compiled 50 sacks a year ago. This season they have just 18 — the same number Babin got all by himself last year.

Some players were apparently rubbed the wrong way by the Washburn-Babin relationship, feeling that he was treated a bit differently than the rest of them. Babin is now gone. And it’s very possible Washburn will be as well in the near future.
    Good riddance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teehar View Post
    Is that almost a Forrest Gump reference? lol
    lol epic..

Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    DeSean Jackson is due $6.75 million in base next year and get bumped up to $10.25 million in 2014...what a waste
    Yah man he will be gone like said below eagles always have "loop holes"

Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    So when's nnamdi going. We all know it's coming.
    I pray we get him some safeties that will help him up top. DRC can run stride for stride with any player out there, Nnamdi has been exposed on BURST routes this year just a tad (sarcasm). Nnamdi WILL be here next year.. he wopnt be a cap hit because of his bonus he got orig from coming here but he will cost Lurie 4 million if cut and that will go against the cap.....thats too much money to allow walk, not happening....but after that... 0 cap hit and 0 if cut consider this upcoming year the year he needs to prove why people debated him and Revis as being the best 2 in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyFresh View Post
    I think Jenkins is deffinately gone. Maybe aso too I hope he just takes a paycut. Bell is obviously gone at seasons end. I hope we give Vick another shot next year I can't blame him with a line this bad or see a better option.
    No on reads my posts

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeman View Post
    Babin hasn't produce anything this year and Vinny Curry showed last night that he has a good motor, needed to get him more playing time.
    As for Vick, i dont see who is out there to pick up but i'm in agreement with Steve Young, Foles looks bad, his timing was off and should have been picked 3 times last night, with one being a pick 6.
    that being said i'm more for restructuring Vick contract and get a coach that is willing to run the ball in here.
    if Andy and Marty had called all our games like they did last night with that run heavy offense he wouldn't be on his way out.
    we have a 1 2 punch at RB but we don't use it.
    Go get Alex Smith until they develop a great QB, run the damn ball 40 times a game and start building a defense. They have a great run blocking line(and it could be so much better healthy), two great running backs, and possibly a game manager at QB for the time being(Smith), that offense could thrive if they build a good young defense.

FIRE ME!

“I don’t do five year plans — other organizations do, I guess.” - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    im fine with Washburn gone too... will also get Cole back to a true rusher stance that he is used too...

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    He's not the only one that needs to be released.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Illa215 View Post
    Go get Alex Smith until they develop a great QB, run the damn ball 40 times a game and start building a defense. They have a great run blocking line(and it could be so much better healthy), two great running backs, and possibly a game manager at QB for the time being(Smith), that offense could thrive if they build a good young defense.
    who?
    please no!
    he is a product of Jim Harbaugh system. (excellent game planning and play calling.)
    we need coaches that will design playes to suit this team, its obvious that Andy and Marty don't know what to do on the offensive side of the ball.

No to Smith!
    Eagles offseason:
    [] Hire new coaching staff
    [] Restructure Mike Vick
    [] Sign/draft Starting OLineman
    [] Sign/draft physical cornerbacks
    [] Sign/draft Starting Safeties
    [] Sign/draft Big WR
    [] Sign veteran Safety

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeman View Post
    who?
    please no!
    he is a product of Jim Harbaugh system. (excellent game planning and play calling.)
    we need coaches that will design playes to suit this team, its obvious that Andy and Marty don't know what to do on the offensive side of the ball.

No to Smith!
    well not sure why the andy marty arguement is there because they won't be here next year.

vCash
    I never understood drafting Curry if you already had Cole, Babin, Graham, and Tapp. But with all the money they had wrapped up with Babin and Cole. Babin had to go. He was a one trick pony. Can't wait to see that wide 9 thing gone.

vCash
    No more Peanut Butter Babin Time?
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

vCash
    The end of the Wide 9 is at a near, Babin just simply had an attitude that we couldn't afford to have. This should allow Curry and Graham to produce more and it'll be something to watch the remainder of the year.

vCash
    Looks like they'll be activating Ryan Rau, according to Roob. Excited to see him play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Route 36 West View Post
    Looks like they'll be activating Ryan Rau, according to Roob. Excited to see him play.
    Please count me in as excited as well.
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Not entirely true. The defense bailed us out week 1. The offense bailed us out in the other 2, including week 1. Against the Browns though, Vick did everything he could to help lose the game though.

My point remains, the defense has cost us more games this year than they have helped us.
    With the new D Coordinator and Vick on the bench yes.... While Vick was starting and Juan was the man in charge their defense was very good and only bad in the 2nd half of the Lions game. Stop trying to make Vick a hero when he has been one of the biggest reasons along with many others on why they stunk it up this year. Its a 2 way street...The offense won the game late in the first couple of weeks and did not bail us out...The D kept us in it while the offense finally did something late after being turnover prone all game every game. You are a bit ridiculous when it comes to vick and I am being honest.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    I love how the offense all of a sudden bails everyone out with a late game Touchdown to give them the lead. Lets forget about the other 90 percent of the game where the defense kept them in it and vick was a turnover machine the first few weeks. The Defense under Juan was very very good like I stated all along...They had a bad half against the lions no doubt but Andy Firing Juan was the back breaker and the reason he will lose his Job. You guys were blind to how good the defense was under Juan

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast