I fealt this post needed to be written & where better to put it than the rabid waters of (my favorite) PSDs Laker forum.
So, Why all of the hating on D'Antoni? It took me a while to get into this choice as I was early on the Phil wagon. I called for that after going to the Lakes v. Clips game early & seeing in person that NO ONE knew what they were doing under Brown. Total cluster F$%^.
But, Ive come around on D'Antoni.
The key points that get lost in the hating or comparisons to me are...
1. Phils not coaching & hes not going to coach!
- We arent going up against him. He is removed from the equation. So when we didnt select him, its not like we have to face him or someone else has him. Phils also the reason Mike doesnt have at least 1 title IMO, you could argue 2. So again with Phil out, its wide open for Mike.
2. Mike has always had a short rotation...
- And we have a limited bench. Perfect Fit! It takes a key weakness of ours and negates it. Im sure he will extend a bit beyond 7 players given our ages, but again this is great for us.
3. Mikes system maximizes team talent
- Philosophy being, if you are the best talent on the floor, you should push for the most possessions (tempo) and stack the odds in your favor. This bets heavy on talent, as opposed to the Triangle or Princeton, which bet on systems of interchangeable parts (a serious over simplification, but you get me). Lakers have the most talent. Lets bet on that talent, not hide it in a system. Perfect fit.
4. Mikes system is extremely fun to watch.
- This is important to me as a fan & sometimes attendee of games. Ive been watching full games on TV lately, waiting for wife & kid to be asleep. I didnt do that with Phil & Co, they were often boring, but effective. Its so fun to watch the ball move & players play. This matters to me & I like it.
5. Mike is the real deal.
- Its not like hes chopped liver. Suns, Knicks (ouch, but hes learned from that), Olympics. He is the real deal & is respected by his colleagues & players. We are always complaining that this league is run by players & here we have a coach that runs a style players love & is successful. Perfect fit!
There is much work to be done with these Lakers but I think we are in good hands & going the right direction. How fun it will be to win a championship with this philosophy & style, & we will have a great regular season of fun games to boot.
And for all the Laker Haters who think they are piling on as we "struggle":
The Lakers only measuring stick is themselves. No one else comes close. When we make mistakes, we clean them up & then win. You want to call that fumbling, I call it solid management.
Any other franchise would give their left nut to get half of what the Lakers pulled off this offseason. Im looking at you Boston, Dallas, Miami.
And oh by the way, have you seen what our books look like in 2014.