Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I think the Japanse guy is still an option because if I can recall, the Angels were going to use him as a set-up to strike people out. Would love to sign him to a 3yr 18M contract.
    MIKE TROUT FOR MVP!!!!!

vCash
    @JeffFletcherOCR: The #Angels are not expected to announce the Madson deal tonight. He was scheduled for a physical today.

@Alden_Gonzalez: #Angels will announce the Madson signing tomorrow, I'm told.
    __________________________________._________

vCash

Angels Sign Ryan Madson (Pending Physical)

Did they probe him or something?

vCash
    WEDNESDAY: The deal is expected to be worth $3.5MM in guaranteed money, plus $2.5MM in roster bonuses and $1MM in incentives for games finished, Yahoo's Tim Brown writes (Twitter link). Madson passed his physical, Mike DiGiovanna of the LA Times reports (on Twitter).
    Awesome
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 11-28-2012 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    I wish more contracts were incentive based

vCash
    Dang that is a good deal. No wonder why Dipoto was so willing to sign him when he has said he is against spending money on relief pitchers.

vCash
    @JeffFletcherOCR: Ryan Madson says he has confidence he'll "be ready to start the season and hit it full force." #Angels

@JeffFletcherOCR: Dipoto, on Madson: "This is a good get for us. Ryan has a chance to make a big impact in 2013." #Angels

@JeffFletcherOCR: Madson, on closing: "If I'm 100 percent and throwing the ball how I'm capable, I expect to have that job." #Angels

@Alden_Gonzalez: Madson on rehab: "I’m very confident that with [Dr.] Yocum and his expertise I’ll be ready to go at the beginning of the season." #Angels

@Alden_Gonzalez: Yes, Madson, of Moreno Valley, grew up an #Angels fan. "I’m glad that [Dipoto] picked that up and didn’t take advantage of it," he said.

@Alden_Gonzalez: Growing up, Madson looked up to Wally Joyner. "In my dream, I was a first baseman -- but I threw too hard." #Angels
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 11-28-2012 at 03:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P. View Post
    I wish more contracts were incentive based
    They really all should be

vCash
    @MikeDiGiovanna: #Angels reliever Ryan Madson will get $500K each for 1, 45, 90, 135 and 180 days on active roster and $250K each for 35, 40, 45 and 50 GF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post
    @Alden_Gonzalez: Growing up, Madson looked up to Wally Joyner. "In my dream, I was a first baseman -- but I threw too hard." #Angels
    Wally world!
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash

Ryan Madson: Bounceback Player for a Bounceback Team

At the start of last offseason, Ryan Madson had big dreams. For a time, it appeared he was on the verge of signing a big four-year contract. He didnít, ultimately having to settle for a one-year contract, and then he missed that one year in its entirety after sustaining a torn UCL. Tommy John surgery completely wiped out Madsonís 2012.

The Angels had big dreams, too. They signed Albert Pujols, they signed C.J. Wilson, they announced the terms of a massive new TV contract, and they set their sights on the World Series. The Angels didnít even make the playoffs, even though the playoff pool had expanded by 25 percent. The Angels missed the playoffs in part because of their inconsistent bullpen.

So thereís a certain appropriateness to the Angels and Madson now coming to a contract agreement. Madson re-entered the market as a free agent after not pitching, and though he still has to pass a physical, and though we still donít know of the terms, it sure looks like Madsonís joining the Angels for a year and a low base, with the usual incentives for a player in Madsonís position.

Weíve known that Jerry Dipoto wanted to give his big-league bullpen a boost, and the Angels have been rumored to have interest in any number of relievers over the past few weeks. Dipoto also isnít a guy who believes in giving relievers gigantic contracts, so heís always in search of a better value. The Angels attempted to bring in a new closer in Carlos Marmol before the Dan Haren trade fell through at the last minute. Without Marmol, the Angels kept looking for help, which led them to Madson. They didnít have to look far.

Madsonís from southern California, and thatís where he still lives in the offseason, so it wouldnít be a surprise to learn that that played a role in his decision. Thereís also the matter of the Angels offering a closing job, which would allow Madson to re-establish his value for the future. Madson had spoken with the Phillies, but the Phillies already have a closer, not to even touch on all the Madson/Phillies drama from last year. For the Angelsí part, Madson is cheap, and heíll get more expensive only if heís pitching well. And Madsonís surgery was performed by the Angelsí own Dr. Yocum, with Angels doctors apparently overseeing his rehab, so the Angels should have a good idea where Madson stands, physically. They shouldnít be in for any surprises, unless they are, since pitchers are so frequently surprising. Ask the 2012 Reds if they were taken by surprise!

Thereís so little here that seems like it needs an in-depth analysis. Madsonís only 32, and when heís been healthy, heís been good. In his most recent season, he generated 16 walks and 62 strikeouts, with half of those walks being intentional. Heís a righty capable of pitching decently well to lefties. We understand that, at this point, Tommy John surgery works as more of a delay than anything else. Madsonís not a guarantee, but the presumed incentives minimize the Angelsí risk. Madson should make the Angelsí bullpen better with the caveat that relievers are unpredictable, yada yada yada. Anybody could write this paragraph. To me, though, thereís one thing, one other thing, most certainly worth some attention. It has to do with Joe Nathan, who isnít Ryan Madson at all.

Joe Nathan underwent Tommy John surgery in spring 2010. Predictably, it wiped out his year. Joe Nathan came back in 2011, and he made the All-Star team in 2012. ďAwesome,Ē you say, ďJoe Nathan has made a complete recovery.Ē But what about that 2011? Nathan opened the season as the Twinsí closer, and Iíll just paste for you his PITCHf/x fastball velocity graph:

For Nathan, 2011 wasnít a complete mess, but it was a partial mess. In the final month of 2009, Nathanís fastball averaged 94 miles per hour. In April 2011, it was under 92. In May, it climbed, but not by much. Nathan went on the disabled list at the end of May with elbow and forearm inflammation. At that point, he had an ERA in the 7s, with nine walks and 15 strikeouts. He came back a month later and from then on, it was all peaches. Lots of strikeouts, limited walks. Mostly recovered fastball, except toward the end. Nathan, in the following 2012, was great.

Because of the job, and because of the spring-training surgery, Joe Nathan is a convenient recent comp for Ryan Madson. Itís not a perfect comp ó what happened with Nathan isnít guaranteed to happen the same way with Madson ó but what happened with Nathan suggests that the Angels would be wise not to count on Madson for that much out of the gate. There could always be setbacks, and there could always be rust. Though the Angels should have a good idea of the health of Ryan Madsonís right arm, he might just need to build himself up. He wouldnít be the first.

Thankfully for the Angels, they do have some bullpen depth. Plenty of people have highlighted their inflated number of 2012 blown saves, but the Angels have this guy named Ernesto Frieri, and heís solid when heís not giving up dingers. He did wear down in the second half, but he was still generating strikeouts like a crazy person, so Frieri could probably handle the closing job at the outset if Madson needs a little time. Or Scott Downs could, or Kevin Jepsen could, or Jordan Walden could. To be honest, the 2012 Angelsí bullpen wasnít characterized by a lack of talent; rather, it was a problem of results, and things were probably going to get better regardless. Madson should just help them get more better, once heís good and ready to go.

The Angels are probably going to be pretty good. A healthy Ryan Madson is pretty good. Though Madson might not be 100 percent out of spring training, he can at least probably help the Angels down the stretch. Then, whether or not the Angels accomplish what they set out to accomplish, Madsonís one-year contract will expire. Have you ever thought about how baseball relationships are weird? Baseball relationships are weird.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...unceback-team/

vCash
    Awesome
    Yes it is awesome great deal for both sides

The Future is NOW!

vCash
    @JeffFletcherOCR: Ryan Madson says he has confidence he'll "be ready to start the season and hit it full force." #Angels
    I wonder if he had any quotes when the Reds signed him.

vCash
    I was really thinking the Angels would end up being the Pirates trading partner for Hanrahan. The signing of Madson seems to hurt that possibility now.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Yeah, I doubt it happens. It's more convenient to go about adding another piece to the bullpen through free agency than through a trade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast