Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Angels Sign Ryan Madson for 3.5M (Plus 3.5M in Incentives)

The Angels are nearing an agreement with free agent right-hander Ryan Madson, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. The sides appear to be nearing a one-year deal that would make Madson the Angels' new closer.

Madson, a client of the Boras Corporation, missed the 2012 season to undergo Tommy John*surgery.*In parts of nine seasons with the Phillies from 2003-11 the 32-year-old posted a 3.59 ERA with 7.8 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 and a 47.7% ground ball rate. His numbers improved once he settled into a late inning relief role, and he evolved into an impact closer by 2011, when he posted a 2.37 ERA with 9.2 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a 48.8% ground ball rate in 60 2/3 innings. The Long Beach, California native had an average fastball velocity of 94.0 mph in 2011, his last full season before undergoing Tommy John surgery.

The Angels had been looking for relief help, but didn't want to commit significant long-term dollars for a closer. GM*Jerry Dipoto*told the LA Times earlier this offseason that spending big on relievers is like "going to Las Vegas and throwing it down on double-zero green." Assuming the Angels rely on Madson as their closer, Ernesto Frieri would move into a setup role.

The Phillies and Reds also showed interest in Madson, according to Heyman. Madson's contract with the Reds included an $11MM mutual option for 2013, which he declined in favor of a $2.5MM buyout.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#Aot1Kvkx0sc416z6.99
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 11-28-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    MIKE TROUT FOR MVP!!!!!

vCash
    Source confirms #Angels indeed close on 1-year deal w/ Madson. Still working out details (&, you know, it's still early in the West coast).
    Ryan Madson is close to a deal with the LA #angels. he is likely to be their closer. deal with #angels will be for 1 year. it will likely allow them to use ernesto frieri as set-up man.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Madson 1-year deal, per industry source, is expected to be formalized today upon passing of physical. Indeed, it's low-base, high-incentive. Madson is said to be progressing well in his rehab, too, throwing off flat ground from 120 feet.
    Will he be ready by opening day?

vCash

Angels, Ryan Madson Nearing Deal

Everything I've read says he won't be ready for opening day.

vCash
    Good thing about this, is that we signed a Boras client. Probably because of the West Coast love in Madson, but still!
    MIKE TROUT FOR MVP!!!!!

vCash
    This has got to be one of the biggest question marks of the offseason. He might be great, or barley play, or anything in between.

vCash
    Does this at all effect the Japanese guy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P. View Post
    Does this at all effect the Japanese guy?
    It probably means we're not signing him. Madson apparently was looking for a place to close, so we must have guaranteed that to him. I would think Fujikawa would be looking to close as well, so I don't see a fit unless that isn't the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    It probably means we're not signing him. Madson apparently was looking for a place to close, so we must have guaranteed that to him.
    You wouldn't think he's in any position to call the shots, but hey, he just tricked a team into paying him $11.5M to throw zero pitches, I guess he's in charge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P. View Post
    You wouldn't think he's in any position to call the shots, but hey, he just tricked a team into paying him $11.5M to throw zero pitches, I guess he's in charge.
    14 MIL actually, including his buyout.

vCash
    The Angels have agreed to sign Ryan Madson to a one-year contract, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports. The deal is pending a physical.

Madson, a client of the Boras Corporation, missed the 2012 season to undergo Tommy John surgery. In parts of nine seasons with the Phillies from 2003-11 the 32-year-old posted a 3.59 ERA with 7.8 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 and a 47.7% ground ball rate. His numbers improved once he settled into a late inning relief role, and he evolved into an impact closer by 2011, when he posted a 2.37 ERA with 9.2 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a 48.8% ground ball rate in 60 2/3 innings. The Long Beach, California native had an average fastball velocity of 94.0 mph in 2011, his last full season before undergoing Tommy John surgery.

The Angels had been looking for relief help, but didn't want to commit significant long-term dollars for a closer. GM Jerry Dipoto told the LA Times earlier this offseason that spending big on relievers is like "going to Las Vegas and throwing it down on double-zero green." Assuming the Angels rely on Madson as their closer, Ernesto Frieri would move into a setup role.

The Phillies and Reds also showed interest in Madson, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Madson's contract with the Reds included an $11MM mutual option for 2013, which he declined in favor of a $2.5MM buyout. Madson ranked 36th on MLBTR's list of top 50 free agents this offseason.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...c0qeRi8AAPb.99

vCash
    is he ready to pitch?

vCash
    That's one hell of a physical

vCash
    I understand that Madson had his arm rebuilt last year and didn't pitch for the Reds, but I think this is a good move by the Halos. It's only a one-year deal, he's young-ish at 32, and I'm sure the dollar amount isn't anything more than what the Reds signed him for last offseason. If it's a bit more, then it probably isn't by much. Madson will be the closer on paper, but Scioscia may do what he did last season: rotate the hot arm in that role. There's always a risk with signing a player after going through Tommy John surgery, but some players bounce back well (e.g., Joe Nathan with 37 SV, 78 K, 13 BB, and a 2.80 ERA for the Rangers).
    Last edited by RaiderNation24; 11-27-2012 at 08:51 PM.

vCash
    I think the Japanse guy is still an option because if I can recall, the Angels were going to use him as a set-up to strike people out. Would love to sign him to a 3yr 18M contract.
    MIKE TROUT FOR MVP!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast