Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

R.A. Dickey wants deal this winter

R.A. Dickey said he would prefer signing a contract extension with the New York Mets this winter rather than test free agency during the 2013-14 offseason. The 2012 NL Cy Young winner added, however, that if he does not agree to an extension before Opening Day he will not negotiate during next season.

Dickey, 38, is under contract for next season at $5 million. He became the first knuckleball pitcher to win a Cy Young earlier this month after he finished 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA last season.

"I think the minimalization of risk," Dickey said, explaining his preference to sign this winter during an appearance to promote literacy at DREAM Charter School in Harlem. "You obviously, when you sign an extension, you help yourself. You put yourself in a position to lessen the risk forthcoming of injury or what have you. So there's that.

"But more than that, for me, is I enjoy being here and I want to be a part of this place seeing brighter days."

Dickey said he speaks regularly with third baseman David Wright, who also is under contract only through next season. And the knuckleballer expressed confidence Wright ultimately would sign an extension with the Mets.

"I mean, imagine the Atlanta Braves without Chipper Jones," Dickey said. "You just can't. I think they're going to reach an agreement.

"We're in a similar position, I'd say, where things are progressing. It's just the pace is slow. But we're in dialogue, and we're hopeful."

Explaining why he would not want to negotiate in-season, Dickey said: "A lot of times you come back on kind of a lame-duck contract and it's kind of a message that, 'This is old. We don't want you anymore beyond this year.' So hopefully that's not the case. That would be sad."

Dickey said he expected a contract to be completed by now.

"I did because of the verbiage that (general manager) Sandy (Alderson) used at the end of the season kind of led me to believe that he wanted to do something very soon," Dickey said. "Now that was my expectation based on his words. But these things -- I think I've said this before -- they kind of take on a life of their own. They have a timing for things. We have until spring training. But I would think they would formulate some kind of plan so they can know what they can do forthcoming.

"They have offered and we have countered. That's kind of the stage that we're in. We're hoping to hear back from them soon and get the dialogue going again."

The winter meetings will take place next week in Nashville, Tenn., which happens to be the hometown of Dickey and his agent.

"I think that's definitely going to put it in the crockpot, so to speak, with the temperature turned up," Dickey said. "Things usually get done around the winter meetings. Everybody is in one place. And whenever you're talking face to face there seems like an urgency is involved."

Dickey added that he probably would participate in the negotiations.

"I have no problem sitting in," Dickey said. "Sandy and I have a good relationship. We always have. I'm an older guy. I like to be involved -- probably more than most players. I feel like I have something to offer."
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...lk-deal-season

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Now it's up to the FO to make it happen.

vCash

This is the best spot for Dickey to get a good contract, he can't do any better than winning the Cy Young, next year he will be one year older an likely coming off a year which was nowhere near as good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    This is the best spot for Dickey to get a good contract, he can't do any better than winning the Cy Young, next year he will be one year older an likely coming off a year which was nowhere near as good.
    While you are correct that he's in a great position, I think Dickey will continue to surprise us all.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I think they have a better shot with Dickey than DW because this could be Dickey's one and only chance to lock in a solid contract. I wonder if a no trade clause will come up in the discussions.

vCash
    No surprise to hear RA tell it like it is, the Mets are dragging their feet again.

vCash

Words from my Lord and Savior

Dickey said he expected a contract to be completed by now.

"I did because of the verbiage that (general manager) Sandy (Alderson) used at the end of the season kind of led me to believe that he wanted to do something very soon," Dickey said. "Now that was my expectation based on his words...."
    It can't be a good thing to mislead the best pitcher on your staff. Still plenty of time for this to end well but I'm not optimistic.

My bias here is obvious. I fell in love with Robert Allen shortly after seeing him pitch for us in the minors and then upon his debut with us in the majors. He might very well be my favorite Met of all time based no only how he performs but by how he carries himself.

I'll be very upset if he is no longer a Met. As I get older and my life's priorities continue to change, I can see myself just walking away from this folly we call baseball and the NY Mets.

There comes a time when you start to wonder if it's worth it anymore.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I love how R.A. speaks so honestly. He doesn't give any of the cliche sports interview answers. If the Mets don't offer him a fair contract extension I wouldn't blame him at all for refusing to negotiate with the Mets next year. Good play R.A.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    It can't be a good thing to mislead the best pitcher on your staff. Still plenty of time for this to end well but I'm not optimistic.

My bias here is obvious. I fell in love with Robert Allen shortly after seeing him pitch for us in the minors and then upon his debut with us in the majors. He might very well be my favorite Met of all time based no only how he performs but by how he carries himself.
    I'll be very upset if he is no longer a Met. As I get older and my life's priorities continue to change, I can see myself just walking away from this folly we call baseball and the NY Mets.

There comes a time when you start to wonder if it's worth it anymore.
    I agree with you 100% FoC

vCash
    Reading that it sounds like the first offer wasn't great and the counter has stalled on the desk of the owners.

They're probably aggressively shopping him at this point. If they wanted to get this done, one way or another you expect the back and forth counters to move relatively briskly - because one would assume you have an actual plan ahead of time, like a chess match.

I said I wouldn't hit the panic button until I actually see something happen, and I won't. But I can't say I'm confident the Mets will get this right.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash

Clay I think Dickey will be good still next year and the year after that, just not that he will be a Cy Young candidate again.

vCash
    Clay I think Dickey will be good still next year and the year after that, just not that he will be a Cy Young candidate again.
    Who's to say he can't do what he did this year again next year? We'll have to wait and find out, hopefully with him still on our team.

vCash
    Every year Dickey has pitched for the Mets it's been predicted he wouldn't pitch as well as he did the previous season.

And each year he's proved those predictions to be false. No reason to believe he can't keep on keeping on.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    While you are correct that he's in a great position, I think Dickey will continue to surprise us all.
    I agree 100%. Dickey is really a special talent.

I just really hope we can find outfield help without trading off major assets.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN I'll respectfully say this on negative note: Bar is really low these days for Mets if keeping own stars is now viewed as great achievement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast