Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,903
    vCash
    1500

    Coaching Staff Evaluation Thread

    Discuss:

    - Which coaches have impressed
    - Which coaches have sucked balls
    - Which coaches need to be replaced (specify who you'd like in their place)
    - Anything Jet coach related

    The following are the coaches that have impressed me this year.

    Dunbar. He has turned Mo into a pro bowl level player plus Coples has looked good in minimal time.

    Lal. He's had nothing to work with this year but has done a tremendous job turning Kerley into a legit threat.

    Dennis Thurman. Done a wonderful job with the secondary after Revis' injury. Cromartie is having the finest overall season of his career.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,882
    vCash
    1500
    I think it's about time to fire Schottenheimer.

    I like those three coaches as well, and I think keeping Pettine should be a priority even if Rex is fired.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,882
    vCash
    1500
    Also, not a fan of firing Rex. The Jets pull the carpet and run every single time expecting something different, and the HC candidates right now suuuck.

    I'm not into hiring a retread either. There's a reason they are retreads.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,791
    vCash
    1400
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I think it's about time to fire Schottenheimer.

    I like those three coaches as well, and I think keeping Pettine should be a priority even if Rex is fired.
    da fuq?
    NYJ
    Jet Nation

    NYK
    #3ToTheHead


    NYY

    27

    Get Up!!!

    http://twitter.com/TrueNYJetGS

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    231
    vCash
    1500
    I would keep rex and sparano and fire pettine. Someone needs to go and I still think Rex is the best coach right now for our team. But Tanny needs to go cause we need to make moves this offseason not just release scrubs and sign more scrubs. Rebuilding mode starts now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,510
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
    I would keep rex and sparano and fire pettine. Someone needs to go and I still think Rex is the best coach right now for our team. But Tanny needs to go cause we need to make moves this offseason not just release scrubs and sign more scrubs. Rebuilding mode starts now.
    Fire Pettine, and keep Sparano? That's a head scratcher to me. I think it's time for Tanny to go, if for no other reason than the fact that the talent on this team has decreased each year since 2010.

    I'm not sure if Rex is best for this team or not, but I am 99.99% sure that Woody will not fire him after this season.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    2,414
    vCash
    1500
    REX - A month ago, I thought there was NO WAY that REX would be in trouble - but this huge personality change, combined with losing 3 out of the last 5 games, and/or having the locker-room implode - could well cause him to lose his job. The worrisome thing is - REX is the big brash boastful guy. I never liked the predictions, but the attitude that he wasn't here to kiss belichik's rings was GREAT - and that's who he is, so I don't know this new guy. Unless he was told to act like he has "hat in hand," and if he was, and he changed himself, I don't like that guy either. This is his 1st real serious challenge - and if he, and the team can't respond better than 49-19 - he could be in big trouble. The thing is - I'm hearing a lot more about REX having a significant input in our drafting, AND if he really thinks that "ground and pound" wins championships, and all you need is a QB that doesn't lose games - than he has to go. The thing is - who'd be better? Bill Cowher - probably, but he's not coming out of retirement to take over this team - I just can't see it. I keep hearing about Chip Kelly, and his great organizational skills, and bright mind, and even Peter King said he thought he would be a success - but who knows. Wade Phillips F-NO!

    Mike Pettine - DC - he has always been REX's guy, so if REX goes, he goes - I would love it if REX took a demotion to DC, but even in his tail-between-his-legs mode - he would never do this. If REX goes - I wouldn't mind Wade Phillips as a DC - defensive coordinator ONLY!

    Tony Sparano - OC - As I have said from the beginning - this was/is a mistake, and I know about "Sanchez having to learn another offense" blah, blah, blah - there has been nothing that I have seen that suggests he was a good hire. he might be a good O-line coach, but I would rather have Norv Turner as our OC - NEVER OUR HC!!!, but OC - yes - he's got one of the best offensive minds in the game

    I agree that not only did D-line coach - Dunbar - do a great job in Minnesota, he's looking like he's the real deal, and M. Wilkerson is really playing a strong 3-4 DE, and Sione Po'uha showed his strength last year. Mike DeVito is definitely having his best season. I'm wondering if they're sort of protecting Coples, coaching him up, and also, it's hard to replace DeVito the way he's playing. He's never going to be a big pass rusher, but he faced more double teams than any other Jet D-lineman, although, Muhammed Wilkerson is starting to get much more attention. I really worry about Kenrick Ellis, as this kid has not been able to stay on the field, and when he has, he hasn't done much. Karl Dunbar definitely has to stay, and I hope he can turn Coples into a stud pass rusher - although I think that is something that you either are, or aren't, and it's looking a little bit like he aren't, although I hope he can do it.

    Dave DeGuglielmo (they call him "Guge," but I think they should call him Elmo) - I have not seen anything great, and the only difference from 2010 is Woody's gone (big difference), and A. Howard is there. Was Bill Callahan that good, and then just mailed it in the last year (last year) because they wouldn't let him interview for an HC job - or had B. Moore deteriorated so much, and is Slauson losing ground (I know he lost his money), and the loss of Woody has just become insurmountable. I don't know - but I know Nick Mangold is an ALL PRO, and that D'Brick Ferguson is certainly good - so I haven't felt the O-line being a strength this year, in fact, it's a weakness - is it Elmo's fault - I would sure like to see someone that thinks they can make our O-line potent - I know it needs more talent - and I don't think it's coming from 2010 2nd round pick - Vlad Ducasse.

    Matt Cavanaugh - QB coach - he can leave today, thank you very much! Wouldn't it be great if Chad Pennington came back as our QB......Coach. There is no evidence to suggest Cavanaugh has done anything positive - in fact - as inexperienced as Sanchez was coming out of mediocre QB producing USC - he had more confidence, better foot work, and more winning/positive attitude than he's shown in the last 13 games.

    Mike Westhoff - STs Coach - As much as I love Westy, I'm glad he's retiring because I would hate to see him get fired. I blame the lack of STs play on the lack of talent in the bottom 1/2 of our roster, because this is no longer looking like a "snake bit, or unlucky spell." I don't know who should replace him - is Assistant STs Coach Ben Kotwica ready to take over the reins? He certainly learned under a Master.

    Bob Sutton - Assistant Head Coach/LBs coach - he has spent all 13 of his years in the NFL with the Jets and he was HC of Army for 8 years, and led them to their best season @ 10-2 in 1996 and ended up in the top 25 in both college rankings, and won Coach of the Year that year. He was Army's DC for 8 years before that, and was NY Jets DC from 2006 - 2008. He hasn't had a lot to work with for quite a while, and he's taken nobodies like Garrett McIntyre, Josh Muaga, Nick Bellore and made them NFL players, and the only fresh talent he's seen in a long time is Demario Davis - who will be our starting ILB, along with David Harris. For my money - he stays, and maybe should be allowed to have more input in finding players.

    Sanjay Lal - seems to have done a good job with Jeremy Kerley, although he hasn't been able to really help Stephen Hill, at least it's not showing on the field. That might not be his fault, and I don't know much more about him - he helped develop some speedsters for the Raiders.

    Anthony Lynn - RB coach - I just don't know - would someone else have been able to get more out of Shonn Greene, J. McKnight and B. Powell (who is looking like a decent alternative, but NOT a starter).

    Dennis Thurman - DB coach - this is a tough one because although they have done very well after losing Revis, there always seems to be "communication problems." I think he's probably doing a good job with what he to work with - it's too bad Isaiah Trufant got hurt. He seemed to be the answer to Wes Welker. I couldn't believe Ellis Lankster let Wes Welker just stand alone in the front of the end zone, oh well.

    GO JETS!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,510
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansince'67 View Post

    Matt Cavanaugh - QB coach - he can leave today, thank you very much! Wouldn't it be great if Chad Pennington came back as our QB......Coach. There is no evidence to suggest Cavanaugh has done anything positive - in fact - as inexperienced as Sanchez was coming out of mediocre QB producing USC - he had more confidence, better foot work, and more winning/positive attitude than he's shown in the last 13 games.

    Mike Westhoff - STs Coach - As much as I love Westy, I'm glad he's retiring because I would hate to see him get fired. I blame the lack of STs play on the lack of talent in the bottom 1/2 of our roster, because this is no longer looking like a "snake bit, or unlucky spell." I don't know who should replace him - is Assistant STs Coach Ben Kotwica ready to take over the reins? He certainly learned under a Master.
    I would crap in my pants and eat it if Pennington became the QB coach.

    Cavanaugh overstayed his welcome on his second day, but I just don't think Pennington wants anything to do with the grind of being an NFL coach, but I think he's make a great mentor for Sanchez, McElroy, and anyone they might draft in 2013.

    Westhoff has been so good for so long as a ST coach that I actually wonder if he's just one foot out the door already heading into retirement. They have looked so unprepared on ST over the past 6 weeks that I can't believe Westhoff is giving it his all. Interesting that the team has been 2-4 since the ST went into the tank.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,990
    vCash
    1500
    I want mangini back. i dont care if its as head coach, coordinator, some other coach, GM, or an advisor. He knew how to draft and develop. If Favre didnt choke down the stretch that one year theres a good chane Mangini would still be our coach. In Rex's first two years he won with Mangini's guys, no that most of them(besides the stars such as Revis, brick, Mangold etc) are gone we blow. Give us the mangenius back

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,903
    vCash
    1500
    There is no way that Norv Tuner is the head coach of the Chargers next season. How would you feel with him as a potential offensive coordinator candidate?

    I think its a no-brainer, personally. Turner is one of the greatest offensive minds of our generation (despite being a ****** head coach). I think he would be a positive influence for our offense.

    Matt Cavanaugh is horrible. He should have been fired last season. He was once a promising offensive mind when he was the OC for Pitt (college) but he has regressed and is nothing special. I don't know how bad Guge is. The man-blocking scheme doesn't play to any of our OL's strengths. We don't have the personnel for the power scheme yet we continue to try and run it.
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 11-27-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,396
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Fire Pettine, and keep Sparano? That's a head scratcher to me. I think it's time for Tanny to go, if for no other reason than the fact that the talent on this team has decreased each year since 2010.

    I'm not sure if Rex is best for this team or not, but I am 99.99% sure that Woody will not fire him after this season.
    I just dont know who we would replace Rex with?

    Tanny did a great job early on in his tenure. He had some complex cap issues to work out, and did a great job. Remember when everyone was worried sick because we had D'Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Revis to worry about? He made it happen...now they are all about to come up again..it will be interesting.

    Nonetheless...he sucks at identifying talent...at least the past few years. He went all in, trading away a whole draft for a few players, in a win now mode, and it caught up...with a bad cap situation which he was so good at fixing/preventing early on so it seemed.

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansince'67 View Post
    REX - A month ago, I thought there was NO WAY that REX would be in trouble - but this huge personality change, combined with losing 3 out of the last 5 games, and/or having the locker-room implode - could well cause him to lose his job. The worrisome thing is - REX is the big brash boastful guy. I never liked the predictions, but the attitude that he wasn't here to kiss belichik's rings was GREAT - and that's who he is, so I don't know this new guy. Unless he was told to act like he has "hat in hand," and if he was, and he changed himself, I don't like that guy either. This is his 1st real serious challenge - and if he, and the team can't respond better than 49-19 - he could be in big trouble. The thing is - I'm hearing a lot more about REX having a significant input in our drafting, AND if he really thinks that "ground and pound" wins championships, and all you need is a QB that doesn't lose games - than he has to go. The thing is - who'd be better? Bill Cowher - probably, but he's not coming out of retirement to take over this team - I just can't see it. I keep hearing about Chip Kelly, and his great organizational skills, and bright mind, and even Peter King said he thought he would be a success - but who knows. Wade Phillips F-NO!

    Mike Pettine - DC - he has always been REX's guy, so if REX goes, he goes - I would love it if REX took a demotion to DC, but even in his tail-between-his-legs mode - he would never do this. If REX goes - I wouldn't mind Wade Phillips as a DC - defensive coordinator ONLY!

    Tony Sparano - OC - As I have said from the beginning - this was/is a mistake, and I know about "Sanchez having to learn another offense" blah, blah, blah - there has been nothing that I have seen that suggests he was a good hire. he might be a good O-line coach, but I would rather have Norv Turner as our OC - NEVER OUR HC!!!, but OC - yes - he's got one of the best offensive minds in the game

    I agree that not only did D-line coach - Dunbar - do a great job in Minnesota, he's looking like he's the real deal, and M. Wilkerson is really playing a strong 3-4 DE, and Sione Po'uha showed his strength last year. Mike DeVito is definitely having his best season. I'm wondering if they're sort of protecting Coples, coaching him up, and also

    I am excited to see Coples next year after a NFL workout regiment. It seems Wilk bulked up quite a bit this year...maybe it is just me?

    it's hard to replace DeVito the way he's playing. He's never going to be a big pass rusher, but he faced more double teams than any other Jet D-lineman, although, Muhammed Wilkerson is starting to get much more attention. I really worry about Kenrick Ellis, as this kid has not been able to stay on the field, and when he has, he hasn't done much. Karl Dunbar definitely has to stay, and I hope he can turn Coples into a stud pass rusher - although I think that is something that you either are, or aren't, and it's looking a little bit like he aren't, although I hope he can do it.

    Dave DeGuglielmo (they call him "Guge," but I think they should call him Elmo) - I have not seen anything great, and the only difference from 2010 is Woody's gone (big difference), and A. Howard is there. Was Bill Callahan that good, and then just mailed it in the last year (last year) because they wouldn't let him interview for an HC job - or had B. Moore deteriorated so much, and is Slauson losing ground (I know he lost his money), and the loss of Woody has just become insurmountable. I don't know - but I know Nick Mangold is an ALL PRO, and that D'Brick Ferguson is certainly good - so I haven't felt the O-line being a strength this year, in fact, it's a weakness - is it Elmo's fault - I would sure like to see someone that thinks they can make our O-line potent - I know it needs more talent - and I don't think it's coming from 2010 2nd round pick - Vlad Ducasse. All very good point.

    Matt Cavanaugh - QB coach - he can leave today, thank you very much! Wouldn't it be great if Chad Pennington came back as our QB......Coach. There is no evidence to suggest Cavanaugh has done anything positive - in fact - as inexperienced as Sanchez was coming out of mediocre QB producing USC - he had more confidence, better foot work, and more winning/positive attitude than he's shown in the last 13 games.
    Hilarious...after I drove by the NC State stadium and was thinking of Cotchery, I immediately thought of Pennington and thought...it would be cool if was a coach for us...they always talked about him like that but havent heard anything lately regarding

    Mike Westhoff - STs Coach - As much as I love Westy, I'm glad he's retiring because I would hate to see him get fired. I blame the lack of STs play on the lack of talent in the bottom 1/2 of our roster, because this is no longer looking like a "snake bit, or unlucky spell." I don't know who should replace him - is Assistant STs Coach Ben Kotwica ready to take over the reins? He certainly learned under a Master. I disagree with the bottom half of the roster piece. A lot of the TO's on STs were McKnight and Kerley (I think they account for 4??? Nontheless, the blocked punt and FG's (3 total) would fall into your argument

    Bob Sutton - Assistant Head Coach/LBs coach - he has spent all 13 of his years in the NFL with the Jets and he was HC of Army for 8 years, and led them to their best season @ 10-2 in 1996 and ended up in the top 25 in both college rankings, and won Coach of the Year that year. He was Army's DC for 8 years before that, and was NY Jets DC from 2006 - 2008. He hasn't had a lot to work with for quite a while, and he's taken nobodies like Garrett McIntyre, Josh Muaga, Nick Bellore and made them NFL players, and the only fresh talent he's seen in a long time is Demario Davis - who will be our starting ILB, along with David Harris. For my money - he stays, and maybe should be allowed to have more input in finding players.

    Sanjay Lal - seems to have done a good job with Jeremy Kerley, although he hasn't been able to really help Stephen Hill, at least it's not showing on the field. That might not be his fault, and I don't know much more about him - he helped develop some speedsters for the Raiders.

    Anthony Lynn - RB coach - I just don't know - would someone else have been able to get more out of Shonn Greene, J. McKnight and B. Powell (who is looking like a decent alternative, but NOT a starter).

    I just dont get Greene...I watch other RB's, even the bigger guys and they look so agile compared to him, and FAST...but then I see him in Indy and he proves he has it in him...but then it disappears again. I am totally Kosher with Powell and McKnight next year...I think these two could do good things...

    Dennis Thurman - DB coach - this is a tough one because although they have done very well after losing Revis, there always seems to be "communication problems." I think he's probably doing a good job with what he to work with - it's too bad Isaiah Trufant got hurt. He seemed to be the answer to Wes Welker. I couldn't believe Ellis Lankster let Wes Welker just stand alone in the front of the end zone, oh well.

    GO JETS!!!
    Communication issues seemed to have plagued us for more than just this year. I remember in 2009, 2010, and 2011 we had them too...and in 09 and 10 it was playoff games.

    Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    222
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Fire Pettine, and keep Sparano? That's a head scratcher to me. I think it's time for Tanny to go, if for no other reason than the fact that the talent on this team has decreased each year since 2010.

    I'm not sure if Rex is best for this team or not, but I am 99.99% sure that Woody will not fire him after this season.
    People blame Tanny but he deserves just as much credit as Rex for getting us to those Two AFC Championship games, Im not saying I like the guy belive me I don't, But if people are gonna give Rex credit for the past you have to give it to Tanny to

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,510
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CurseOfJoeNamth View Post
    People blame Tanny but he deserves just as much credit as Rex for getting us to those Two AFC Championship games, Im not saying I like the guy belive me I don't, But if people are gonna give Rex credit for the past you have to give it to Tanny to
    I don't think I've ever suggested that Tanny doesn't get credit for the talent that went to 2 consecutive AFC title games. Since 2010, this team has become less talented each season, especially on offense.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    222
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I don't think I've ever suggested that Tanny doesn't get credit for the talent that went to 2 consecutive AFC title games. Since 2010, this team has become less talented each season, especially on offense.
    Yea he also ruined the team he def deserves the blame for this season, Im still waiting or this "Victor Cruz" WR type he said was on our roster

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,286
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CurseOfJoeNamth View Post
    Yea he also ruined the team he def deserves the blame for this season, Im still waiting or this "Victor Cruz" WR type he said was on our roster
    You need an Eli Manning QB type before you can start having "Victor Cruz's" or Mario Manningham wr types.


    "The Butt of all jokes"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •