Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He's a cheaper McCarthy. I wanted B-Mac, but I'm totally cool with this.

Whit or whit-out you. Whit or whit-ooooooooout you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I'm not losing sleep over not signing Carlos Villanueva. Feldman's a better version of him anyway.
    This for certain. Feldman is far more interesting than Villanueva.
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    Not exactly what I was hoping for or expecting.

vCash
    With guys like McCarthy still out there, this can't be spun as anything but disappointing if they are done with the rotation as is.

But not like "throwing a chair through a window" levels of disappointment. If you squint really hard, there might kind of be something there with Feldman.

vCash
    A little more than I think he is worth, he needs to come in and give you 30 starts and at least 180 innings to make it worth it. Something he has only done once in his career. Six million dollars is to much for a guy that may end up in your bullpen at some point.

Offseason isn't over yet, but I think a little bit of an overpay for Feldman.

vCash
    *too

Whit or whit-out you. Whit or whit-ooooooooout you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Doesn't make much sense to go signing a handful of pitchers like Baker and Feldman to deals that max out around $7-$8m just to have them toil in middle relief, when the one thing we've got, are some MR prospects who are ML ready.

I was fine with one of these types + a better SP. I'm not so certain how excited I am about a few of these guys filling out the rotation. They offer, neither, upside above mid-roation guys nor should they fetch a nice return at the deadline.

They're boring and necessary moves on their own. Together, I find the Baker and Feldman deals to be somewhat redundant.
    Sure it does. Quality depth is vital to putting together a competent team, and this being a team that had Brooks Raley, Justin Germano, and Chris Rusin starting multiple games in the second half I am ever happy to have some quality rotation depth. Throw in that Baker is coming off surgery, they might be moving some arms at the deadline, and there's no young SP depth coming up and these moves make perfect sense for the Cubs.

Big fan of this move...I've pushed Feldman since the summer as a Brandon McCarthy substitute. Getting him out of Texas should do him some good, which is not something I can say about McCarthy getting out of Oakland (even if I chose to ignore the laundry list of injuries).

6-7 isn't even a bad price.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.

vCash

Scott Feldman to sign with Cubs

Jeremy Affeldt got 3/18. Keep this in mind hahaha. (no correlation, just observation)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I'm not losing sleep over not signing Carlos Villanueva. Feldman's a better version of him anyway.
    Couldn't agree more. Just wanted to make note of that, as many on here were already penciling in Villanueva for a roster spot.

Speaking of roster spot, I wonder who gets kicked off the 40 man to make room?

vCash
    I don't think they're done yet with the rotation. Baker may not even be ready for the start of the season. I bet they sign/trade for another starter before the season starts.

vCash
    I only hoped, if the Cubs signed him, he'd come cheaper. As boring as this is, hopefully it means more starting pitching depth than what they had last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I don't think they're done yet with the rotation. Baker may not even be ready for the start of the season. I bet they sign/trade for another starter before the season starts.
    Yeah, thats how I see it as well. I think Garza or Shark get traded by opening day. Its very possible that Shark wants to test FA given his rookie contract, so they could move him.

Hopefully we still pick up a McCarthy or Marcum though.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    This is a solid move even if its not exciting. He's a poor mans version of McCarthy. I don't think this means they are done with the rotation. Being a stats oriented FO I don't think they are just going to give Wood the 5th spot. I can see a Marcum/Blanton, McCarthy type signing. I just wish we could add some longer term pieces to the team though.
    Last edited by Mell413; 11-27-2012 at 12:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Blech. This better not replace a McCarthy or a Marcum and hopefully is instead pitching depth. I don't really like his career DIPS all that much. As depth I like it. As much more...not a fan.
    Basically how I feel about this.

I like Feldman, but he joins Baker, T-Wood and the likes as a back of the rotation arm.

It'd be nice if we can still strike a deal with Marcum or McCarthy. I think we'll still be in on one of them. With their injury history as well as Baker's, Feldman will be a nice insurance arm when one of them inevitably goes down.

vCash
    Remember when Theo said "and there might be another trading deadline in our future where we trade away 40 percent of a really good rotation"?

While the "really good" part may be a bit of a stretch, there are plenty of candidates for the 2013 deadline. And they'll probably add one or two more.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast