Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    With all due respect.....

He's concerned about the money. Any time you hear a player say he's concerned about the direction of the team, it only means he'll sign with a better team if the money is about the same.

There have been a few exceptions to this, most notably Gregg Maddux in the 90s and Cliff Lee a few years ago.

But almost always its about the money despite the phony sentiments to the contrary.
    I think the Cliff Lee taking less money thing was way overstated. He got 5 years/$125 million from the Phillies instead of 7 years/$138 million or whatever it was from the Rangers/Yankees. It was simply a bet by Lee that at the end of his contract, he could do better than 2 years/$13 million.

vCash
    With all due respect.....

He's concerned about the money. Any time you hear a player say he's concerned about the direction of the team, it only means he'll sign with a better team if the money is about the same.

There have been a few exceptions to this, most notably Gregg Maddux in the 90s and Cliff Lee a few years ago.

But almost always its about the money despite the phony sentiments to the contrary.
    Yes but how much more could he be holding out for?

He's a 30 year old third baseman (at a position where decline happens most rapidly behind catchers) who will paid market value for the length of his contract.

That's about the best deal he will see and he takes all the risk next year if he turns it down. If he gets injured or has a bad season in 2013 his FA value drops dramatically (not to mention he is another year older)

He's not going to get Matt Kemp money (8yrs/160) so i don't see how 8 yrs 140 is not enough.

The Mets seem financially committed to him being a Met through the rest of his career with this offer.

I get the impression if Wright hesitates (and granted it could certainly be about more money because like you mentioned how often is it not?) his other main concern could be the direction of this team.

He has to be tired of all the losing.

vCash
    Just get her done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I think the Cliff Lee taking less money thing was way overstated. He got 5 years/$125 million from the Phillies instead of 7 years/$138 million or whatever it was from the Rangers/Yankees. It was simply a bet by Lee that at the end of his contract, he could do better than 2 years/$13 million.
    Thank you.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yes but how much more could he be holding out for?

He's a 30 year old third baseman (at a position where decline happens most rapidly behind catchers) who will paid market value for the length of his contract.

That's about the best deal he will see and he takes all the risk next year if he turns it down. If he gets injured or has a bad season in 2013 his FA value drops dramatically (not to mention he is another year older)

He's not going to get Matt Kemp money (8yrs/160) so i don't see how 8 yrs 140 is not enough.

The Mets seem financially committed to him being a Met through the rest of his career with this offer.

I get the impression if Wright hesitates (and granted it could certainly be about more money because like you mentioned how often is it not?) his other main concern could be the direction of this team.

He has to be tired of all the losing.
    8 years 140 should get it done.

7/116 was a tad low. 8/140 is a very good offer.

Have these numbers been confirmed? Source?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I honestly don't think I'd give Wright much more than 8 years/$140 million unless the deal was heavily backloaded or had some deferred money. So hopefully we really did offer that, and hopefully he takes it. If he doesn't, I think it's time to consider trading him.
    It's 8/$140M with the option included.

vCash
    Give him whatever it takes.

Anything to get Kranepool's name off all those Met's leaderboards.

vCash
    8 years 140 should get it done.

7/116 was a tad low. 8/140 is a very good offer.

Have these numbers been confirmed? Source?
    Heyman tweeted the Mets would include Wright's option for 2013 (16 million) then the numbers are between 7yrs and 119 and 129 million on top of that.

It's either 8 yrs/135 or 8yrs/145.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-27-2012 at 07:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Give him whatever it takes.

Anything to get Kranepool's name off all those Met's leaderboards.
    You'll be sad when you don't have Easy Ed Kranepool to kick around anymore.

Very sad.

vCash
    You'll be sad when you don't have Easy Ed Kranepool to kick around anymore.

Very sad.
    Well, unlike a lot of current players, at least no one can ever say the Krane was over paid.

vCash
    Well didn't Dickey say that both him and David agree with the direction of the team? I don't take Dickey as someone who would lie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Well didn't Dickey say that both him and David agree with the direction of the team? I don't take Dickey as someone who would lie.
    Both said that. And both meant that.

Because if the team ponies up the cash for them, they'll like the direction the team is taking. If the team doesn't pony up the cash, they won't like the direction.

See how that works? See what I did there?

What do you expect these guys to say? If the Mets pay me what I'm worth, I'll sign? Tell you what though, it would be refreshing to hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Well, unlike a lot of current players, at least no one can ever say the Krane was over paid.
    This is what I'm sayin.

vCash
    This is what I'm sayin.
    I'd say the fact that Kranepool got paid at all implies that he was overpaid.

vCash
    I'd say the fact that Kranepool got paid at all implies that he was overpaid.
    thats only because you weren't around to experience that era in its context. Kranepool earned whatever he was paid.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast