Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Well of course. The "coupons" only are doing this to sell tickets. They don't care about winning games, putting a good team on the field, or David Wright.
    Oh, but David, on the other hand, is holding out for 7 years and the most money he can get because he is thinking only of the team and the fans. It's not the money or the personal security. All he wants is to win and for the wonderful fans like you to be able to see him in a Mets uniform next year.

Get real. Baseball is a business for the players as much as for the owners.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN Filed news story. #Mets have made multiple offers to David Wright--one at least 7 years (on top of existing year). Will tweet link soon.

That's 8 years.

Good Grief!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    WOW they are going to give him 8 years. Wonder what the money looks like.

vCash
    It's probably more years but less money per year.

I'd guess something like 7 years, $126 million on top of 2013.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ht-source-says
    NEW YORK -- The New York Mets have offered a contract extension to David Wright that would keep the All-Star third baseman with the club at least through 2020, a major league source told ESPNNewYork.com.

The source said Wright had been offered at least a seven-year extension by the Mets, on top of the $16 million he is owed for 2013.

The 30-year-old Wright became the franchise's leader in hits, runs, walks and RBIs during the 2012 season. "There are offers going back and forth," the source said.

a source did not rule out an extension being completed this week.

"It could, but it's certainly speculative that it will," the source said.

vCash
    David Wright just doesn't strike me as the ball-busting type when it comes to contract negotiations. When the deal is fair, he won't complain. As long as he's paid accordingly (which sounds like he is being offered) then I can't see why he wouldn't take the deal. Lets hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    The Player's Union reviews all contracts to ensure that they do not contain anything that would establish a precedent that would be detrimental to players in future negotiations. And they want to make sure the player isn't giving away money unreasonably, as they did with A-Rod's deal with the Red Sox. They don't set market value. Hometown discounts are common in baseball and the union has never objected to any of those contracts.

As a Commercial Arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association, I've been heavily involved with both sides in labor-management issues. I can tell you that both sides can be equally intransigent and unreasonable. To your point, whetever the union says, management is against it. That is the underlying principle of negotiations. The very fact that they finally reach an agreement demonstrates that eventually each side accepts (perhaps grudgingly) what the other side has offered.
    Several years ago when inter league play started it had to be approved by the union.

Instant replay, has to be approved by the union.

Any rule change has to be approved by the union.

Why…what difference could it make if the Mets go to San Francisco or Oakland, Baltimore or Washington. Why do they care if they use instant replay. The players should have no say in that at all. Stuff like that just becomes a bargaiing chip to drive up salaries and benefits.

If you're negotiating your own contract, why do you need a union at all????

All unions ever did for me was insure that I did less work than I was capable of.

vCash

Report: Mets finally make Wright offer-7 years in excess of $100 Million

I always though he would remain a Met, but as I said before I thought that about Reyes too. Hopefully this gets done sooner rather than later and they can move on to signing Dickey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    David Wright just doesn't strike me as the ball-busting type when it comes to contract negotiations. When the deal is fair, he won't complain. As long as he's paid accordingly (which sounds like he is being offered) then I can't see why he wouldn't take the deal. Lets hope.
    If he wanted to win. I know David likes NY and the idea of playing his entire carrer for one team. However, those two things and winning a ring appear to be mutually exclusive.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN ESPN's Jayson Stark spoke with source who does not believe David Wright contract extension would be finalized before winter meetings.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    A source who has communicated with Mets officials said the organization strongly believes David Wright will sign an extension with the club.

"They've been really optimistic," the source told ESPNNewYork.com.

vCash
    I have no problem giving Wright a 7 year extension. The guy is the face of the franchise. Even if by year 8 he isnt producing at the same level hes getting paid, hes you franchise player. This is the guy you decided to make the face of your franchise. Keep him here till he walks away
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    Wright can't turn town an 8 year deal. He just can't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    AdamRubinESPN ESPN's Jayson Stark spoke with source who does not believe David Wright contract extension would be finalized before winter meetings.
    Roller coaster of emotions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Wright can't turn town an 8 year deal. He just can't.
    If they would have been offered 8, he would have insisted on 9.
    Last edited by jomota; 11-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast