Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Report: Mets finally make Wright offer-7 years in excess of $100 Million

The Mets offered David Wright a six-year, $100 million extension Monday, on top of the $16 million owed in 2013, according to Fox's Ken Rosenthal. The offer technically matches the extension the Rays gave to Evan Longoria. The offer is expected to be rejected by Wright's reps.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    In essence the offer is 7 years for 116 million.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    Mets take risks with contract stalemates

The standoff between the New York Mets and third baseman David Wright continues. And for the team, the risk is only becoming greater.

The Mets offered Wright a six-year, $100 million contract extension on Monday, according to major-league sources.

It is an offer that Wright is certain to refuse.

Wright, who is under contract for $16 million in 2013, prefers a deal of seven years or longer, sources say.

The Mets’ proposal offered Wright only a slight raise, and matched the terms of the Ryan Zimmerman and Evan Longoria extensions, the latter of which was announced on Monday.

Wright, who turns 30 on Dec. 20, is older than Zimmerman, 28, and Longoria, 27, but perhaps the safest long-term bet.

Longoria is the best offensive player according to OPS-plus, a statistic that adjusts a hitter’s OPS to his league and ballpark. But he has appeared in more than 133 games in only two of his five seasons.

Wright’s career OPS-plus is nearly as good as Longoria’s, and he has averaged 149 games in his eight full seasons. Zimmerman’s career OPS-plus is the lowest of the three, and he has not been as durable as Wright.

A six-year extension would take Wright through 2019, same as Zimmerman. Longoria, on the other hand, is now under contract through ’22 — and with one of the game’s lowest-revenue clubs.

The Mets, playing in New York, should be at the opposite end of the financial spectrum.

The team, with its latest proposal to Wright, is taking a more aggressive approach than it did last off-season with shortstop Jose Reyes, who said that he never received an offer from the club after signing a free-agent contract with the Miami Marlins.

Club officials say their off-season priority is to sign both Wright and Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey to extensions. But the winter meetings are next week in Nashville, and the team is making little progress on either front, sources say.

A trade of one or both veterans is possible, but Dickey also is signed for only one more year, at a salary of $5 million. Players entering the final year of contracts generally yield less than full value in trades, rival executives say. The Mets would gain little more than salary relief from such deals, unless they included cash to get better prospects.

Another option for the Mets would be to grant potential trade partners windows to extend Wright and/or Dickey, knowing that teams would make more tempting proposals if they were assured of keeping their desired player long-term.

Such windows, though, might only complicate the negotiations, particularly if the trades became public and the teams were unable to reach agreements with the players.

Then there is the Mets’ public-relations challenge.

A trade of Wright would create the possibility that the team’s homegrown star could appear in the July 16 All-Star Game at Citi Field wearing another club’s uniform.

To avoid such a scenario, the Mets could keep both Wright and Dickey into next season, continue trying to sign them to extensions and then — if the talks failed — trade them after the All-Star Game but before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

Such a strategy, however, would further depress the trade values of both players; teams are less willing to trade elite prospects because of a new rule that prevents them from receiving a high draft pick if they acquire a potential free agent in the middle of a season and he then signs with another club.

But back to the central issue.

The Mets’ stalemates with Wright and Dickey raise questions about the team’s willingness to add to its payroll, which has dropped from $149.4 million at the start of 2009 to the $94.3 million at the start of last season.

Even if the Mets kept both Wright and Dickey, they would need to add other players to contend in one of the game’s most competitive divisions, the NL East.

Mets GM Sandy Alderson said recently that the team would need to gain “a little more clarity” on their talks with Wright and Dickey between Thanksgiving and the winter meetings.

The meetings start Monday. And right now, both situations are far from clear.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...ension-112612-

vCash
    The Mets shouldn't budge on that offer.

116 mil and 6 years is a lot for a 30 year old. Especially since Wright had 3 not so great years recently.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post

116 mil and 6 years is a lot for a 30 year old. Especially since Wright had 3 not so great years recently.
    It's 7 years. I still think they are 10 million dollars shy of what he wants.

vCash
    Get it done.

Then there is the Mets’ public-relations challenge.

A trade of Wright would create the possibility that the team’s homegrown star could appear in the July 16 All-Star Game at Citi Field wearing another club’s uniform.

To avoid such a scenario, the Mets could keep both Wright and Dickey into next season, continue trying to sign them to extensions and then — if the talks failed — trade them after the All-Star Game but before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

Such a strategy, however, would further depress the trade values of both players; teams are less willing to trade elite prospects because of a new rule that prevents them from receiving a high draft pick if they acquire a potential free agent in the middle of a season and he then signs with another club.

This is a ridiculous way to run a baseball team.

vCash
    If the Mets would have offered 5 years $200 million, the Wright camp would have come back with a higher counter offer. More benefits, more perks etc.

It's what unions and agents do.

Wright should say "where do I sign" and take a Mediterranean cruise. He's set for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post

I agree I think that is a fair offer

vCash
    I think 6 years for 100 million is a good offer. If Wright wantsd to play his career as a met he should sign that contract. If he wants 7 years gave him a option for the 7th year. Don't get me wrong I want the mets tio sign him long term too. But I would not offer him more then 17 million per season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dank View Post
    I agree I think that is a fair offer
    116/6 is a fair offer. Unfortunately, the Mets offered 100/6 and 116/7.

Bye Bye to our third baseman Wright
    Sandy Alderson and Freddie wouldn't do by him right
    And good ole fans are left to just wonder why
    Singing this will be the day that I die.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    116/6 is a fair offer. Unfortunately, the Mets offered 100/6 and 116/7.

Bye Bye to our third baseman Wright
    Sandy Alderson and Freddie wouldn't do by him right
    And good ole fans are left to just wonder why
    Singing this will be the day that I die.
    Zimmerman and Longoria received the same offer.
    And it's the initial offer.
    It's a fair offer, it just won't get it done.

vCash
    I'm sure those of you saying the Mets shouldn't budge will be thrilled if they fail to sign Wright, and then parade him around Citi Field uselessly until the ASG, only to then trade him for a B prospect or 2 - or simply lose him outright.

If he doesn't sign now, he will be gone for sure.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I'm sure those of you saying the Mets shouldn't budge will be thrilled if they fail to sign Wright, and then parade him around Citi Field uselessly until the ASG, only to then trade him for a B prospect or 2 - or simply lose him outright.

If he doesn't sign now, he will be gone for sure.
    The people who are making excuses for the Mets will be thrilled with whatever happens. They always are.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN Dickey added that he would likely sit in on negotiations next week at meetings in Nashville. He acknowledged offer and counteroffer made.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN Dickey said he would like to sign this offseason for security sake, not test free agency next winter.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast