Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ps and Cs Countdown

I believe they report on February 13, which, by my math leaves us with 82 days until the official start of spring training (although now players get ridiculously criticized for not reporting early, as if that makes a rat's butt worth of difference in the team's or the player's fortunes).

There are now 82 days for us to find at least two viable starting major league outfielders, a viable major league starting catcher, and a viable closer.

So far, we've done nothing to fill any of those holes but we have signed a bunch of affordable place holders. Doesn't bode well for this season. To their credit though, the Mets continue to send me emails about ticket packages and discounts on merchandise. Whatever floats their boat I suppose.

But here's my question: Aside from the fact that we happen to be Met fans and this team is in our blood and under our skin, is there any reason whatsoever to look forward to this upcoming Mets baseball season?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Do Familia and Mejia start the year in the Bull Pen or do they stay starters in triple A?

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    I think Mejia and Familia are going to play an interesting backstory in camp. As well as Santana and Gee's health and arm strength going into Spring Training.

If Wheeler has a great Spring can he beat out Santana or Gee if they are struggling, or their arm strength is lacking?

Does Pelfrey get brought back? If he is pitching well in Spring does he get a slot in the rotation? Does he get put in the bullpen as a spot starter/long reliever? Does he get a shot to setup/close?

For a very strong starting staff that is 7-8 starting pitchers deep it makes an interesting story to whether or not starters get shifted and play important roles in the Pen. I am all for Pelf getting a chance to pitch late in games this year. We have nothing to lose by giving him a shot. His velocity pitching just 1 or 2 innings would pick up and coming off surgery it may be better for his arm. Similar to what the Braves did with Medlin.
    Last edited by Rio40; 11-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    If they are not traded, Mejia will be on the team and Familia will start in AAA.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I think the Wilpons/Mets Front Office are rooting for the Mayan "Doomsday" to come true, or perhaps the Zombie Apocalypse...would sort of give new meaning to "Digging up" players....*rimshot*

All jokes aside we have MAJOR gaps in the team and I'm hoping we do SOMETHING that is not a knee-jerk reaction but actually VIABLE during the winter meetings next week, If we can come away with an Outfielder and a Bullpen arm...then just perhaps there will be that glimmer of hope in my eye...

vCash
    Mets will be the surprise team of 2013.

vCash
    If we trade Dickey I could see Mejia being the front runner to take his spot. Wheeler and most likely Young/Pelfry waiting in the minors to take a spot if someone gets injured.

vCash
    While I agree it's very annoying that they've literally done nothing, there's still 82 days left. We haven't even started the Winter Meetings yet. I'm sure they'll do something with Wright and/or Dickey and sign some minor guys to replace the voids. before the offseason is over with. Patience is a virtue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    While I agree it's very annoying that they've literally done nothing, there's still 82 days left. We haven't even started the Winter Meetings yet. I'm sure they'll do something with Wright and/or Dickey and sign some minor guys to replace the voids. before the offseason is over with. Patience is a virtue.
    Why be annoyed?

Regardless if we are in on players or not hardly any deals have been made and usually don't till the winter meetings and after.

Besides Tori Hunter there has been zero movement on players.

vCash
    ^Lol, I was trying to think of a word, but my mind just stopped working. Personally, I'm not "annoyed," but some fans would like a more rapid and agressive approach.

Either way, I'm sure they won't go through the entire offseason signing semi-pro guys to minor league deals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I guess the Reyes, Johnson, Buerhle, Bonofacio mega deal slipped your mind. lol
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 11-27-2012 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Why be annoyed?

Regardless if we are in on players or not hardly any deals have been made and usually don't till the winter meetings and after.

What about David Ross, the Chris Young trade, and the Reyes/JJ/Buerhle/etc deal?

vCash
    I'll be down in PSL for the last week of ST games...cant stop loving this team. Plus I'd love to see Harvey/Wheeler....very excited about them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    What about David Ross, the Chris Young trade, and the Reyes/JJ/Buerhle/etc deal?
    Yeah, but the teams involved in those trades had needs to fill.

Oh, wait
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I'm more annoyed by the fans that are complaining and we haven't even gotten to the winter meetings. Almost no significant moves have been made thus far.

Still have 82 days like you said. If this were the position we were in with 18 left, then I'd worry. Nothing has happened yet.

www.DailyStache.net You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast