Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Gasol for Amare reportedly discussed

Earlier today, Hoops World reported that the likelihood of Pau Gasol being dealt exists as the now 32 year old big man suffers through the worst season of his career. Of course, this is not the first time the Big Llama has been on the trading block. Gasol was nearly dealt for Chris Paul before last season, and the rumors of a multi-team trade that would involve both Pau and Rajon Rondo began circulating at the trade deadline last season.

Gasol is set to make $38.3 million dollars over the next two seasons (including this one) and is dealing with tendinitis in both knees at the moment. Now normally an expensive, aging, declining big man would not be able to draw much attention on the open market. Unless of course you could find another expensive, aging, declining big man. Perhaps one that is currently out of action while his team flourishes without him and used to play with the Lakers new coach and point guard. I mean stuff like that is what rumors are made of, too bad there's no way a situation like that could exist, right? // GOOD GOD THAT'S AMARE STOUDEMIRE'S MUSIC //Simmons

NBA Rumors@NBARUMORS
    According to sources, the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers are discussing a trade involving Amar'e Stoudemire and Pau Gasol.
    26 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Well that didn't take long, did it? Now usually the Lakers are the ones pulling off trades that have absolutely no business happening. You know, like trading a center with paper mache knees for the best big man in the game. But not in this case. Should this trade come to fruition (and I know it's a long, long way from actually happening), the Knicks would be legitimately stealing from LA. Gasol, in the midst of decline or not, is still a very useful player. He's a great passer, a strong rebounder, and his inside/out offensive game is fantastic.

Stoudemire on the other hand? Yeesh. I was a big fan of Amare in his Suns days, but the man is aging in dog years. He can no longer guard his shadow, and he simply slows down the Knicks offense. Love Carmelo or hate him, the team works better when the offense runs around him. Since the start of last season New York is 23-28 with Stoudemire in the line-up, and 23-9 when he sits out. On top of that, Amare is under contract for 3 more years, and $60 million. One year, and $22 million more than Gasol.

Now usually Celtics fans would be rooting like crazy for this deal to go through. I mean if it makes the Lakers worse, I'd be all for it 98% of the time. But not this time. The Knicks are a legitimate threat in the Atlantic and this trade would make them even more dangerous. Gasol doesn't need nearly the number of shots that Amare does to be successful and would make the Knicks a much more efficient team.

So once again I find myself in the familiar position of hoping the Lakers do not pull off a Blockbuster deal. But this time it's not because it makes them better. But because it makes them worse.
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/networ...ticleid=747905

If the trade does not involve Shump I would do it. Stat is not a good fit for this team IMO.

vCash
    UM.... YES PLEASE! GASOL is a terrific fit. He could get us back to playing big effectively.

vCash
    The fact that we are hearing about it usually means it wont happen. I dont see it happening regardless but if it did it sure would be an interesting team. I personally like Amare (more for the sentimental reasons of coming hear and bringing us back to relevancy) and would be sad to see him go, would love to see him and Melo prove everyone wrong and succeed in NY.

Welp let the unamed source-for-all begin!

And no shumpert trades!
    Video of Carmelo Anthony first time in the Barclays center http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIIQmQ2qRA

Quote Originally Posted by oballers View Post
    the only statistic I will care about is how many W's we have and how much fun it was watching us get those Ws.

If you don't understand what I mean see the formula below:

((Amount of Joy)* Playoff Wins * # of Championships/ Number of times cheered) * # of beers drunk / % of trash talking

vCash
    Pau is a fine fit, but he's on the decline. Amare as a 2nd option is much more impactful for this team.

If you could trade for any player to make this team as currently constructed better, you would be asking for a player like Amare. Amare has a perfect role for this team.

vCash
    Straight up I would consider only, fit, we have a short window, ****ing pressure to to win now

Damn it would hurt to give up Stat for anyone

**** you haters

vCash
    Big Llama

vCash
    If it is a direct STAT-for-Gasol, then I say DO IT.

vCash
    That would help us tremendously! He would help on the boards and his IQ is off the charts. But I think Amare could dominate in his secondary role.

vCash
    Sign me up for that; he would actually make those mid range jumpers that Amare misses all the time and I'm not ready to see Amare and his lack of hustle on the defensive end and boards ruin this team's continuity. Get rid of that Albatross contract and somehow get a pick off them.

vCash
    Good article find Blitzace.

This isn't anything new, most fans here have been speculating about this idea for a while now. But it's always good to see rumors being spoken about here are manifested as possible trade proposals by sports writers/columnists.

I don't know how much sense it makes for LAL to do this trade, they already have a PnR player in Howard although I feel Amar'e is more efficient as a primary screen option as he actually has a jumpshot between the 2.

But Pau is a much better player overall- he has a true post game (something so rare in the NBA today,) a very good passer out of the block and is/was an elite rebounder. His defense isn't anything to get excited about, but I'd say he's definitely an upgrade defensively compared to Amar'e.

Factor that in with Pau having 1 less year on his contract, and I don't think they'd do this trade straight up. Luckily for us, we have a lot of depth here and a lot of players not seeing any PT. It's going to take at least 1 more player plus probably a draft pick to get a deal like this done. I just hope if they actually do get to the negotiating table that they keep Shumpert and JR off of it. I'd figure Mike D would want one of those guys to come back in a package deal.

Still far fetched, but if Antawn keeps stealing PT from Gasol, I'd imagine the rumors will continue to heat up.

vCash
    after watching last nights games...our biggest problem is rebounding...if Amare comes back and consistently get 8-10 board then we will be okay..if not, I think we have to seriously consider the deal...not sure if the Lakers would do it since they alsways rob teams...no way would I trade anyone else with Amare other than James White...
    Die hard Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys and New York Knicks fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCSJR2 View Post
    after watching last nights games...our biggest problem is rebounding...if Amare comes back and consistently get 8-10 board then we will be okay..if not, I think we have to seriously consider the deal...not sure if the Lakers would do it since they alsways rob teams...no way would I trade anyone else with Amare other than James White...
    Not with the Odom debacle.

vCash
    ^^Amar'e has always been a minimum 8 rebound per game guy.

The reason he's spoken about as being so inefficient with his rebounding is because of his size and athleticism. He's a freak of nature and should be posting rebounding #'s similar to Blake Griffin. Alas, Stat has never been a double digit rebound kind of guy, but he's still good for 8-9 rebounds per game. It's just when you watch him play, you're left confused wondering why he isn't such a dominant force on the glass or on the defensive end. With his innate talent, it seriously makes no sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankster View Post
    ^^Amar'e has always been a minimum 8 rebound per game guy.

The reason he's spoken about as being so inefficient with his rebounding is because of his size and athleticism. He's a freak of nature and should be posting rebounding #'s similar to Blake Griffin. Alas, Stat has never been a double digit rebound kind of guy, but he's still good for 8-9 rebounds per game. It's just when you watch him play, you're left confused wondering why he isn't such a dominant force on the glass or on the defensive end. With his innate talent, it seriously makes no sense.
    Injuries. I remember him in PHX when healthy. That man was a beast. Before his back and Melo, he was our top gun here.

This trade is a must if it's up front Stat-for-Gasol. It makes sense for LA because they can put Nash and Stat on the floor with Mike D-Antoni.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Injuries. I remember him in PHX when healthy. That man was a beast. Before his back and Melo, he was our top gun here.

This trade is a must if it's up front Stat-for-Gasol. It makes sense for LA because they can put Nash and Stat on the floor with Mike D-Antoni.
    Yea but even back than in Phoenix, he was never considered a top tier rebounder or even an average defender.

I've seen him play his whole career from the point he was a rookie playing with Stephon out in Phoenix. The guy is allergic to boxing out and he doesn't utilize his vertical when going for rebounds. The ball basically has to land directly into his hands for him to rebound it. Just look at his overall level of intensity when going for a rebound and compare it to someone like Kevin Love or Blake Griffin. You'll see a WIDE gap in effort level as far as going after the boards.

The only time he looked good defensively was when he was playing against the Spurs in those ridiculous playoff series. I can even remember that 1 game winning block he had on Duncan (probably one of the greatest blocks in NBA history considering how much Stat's fingers bent backwards to keep the ball out of the rim.)

Even in his most athletic state and him at his culminating prime, he has never been an elite rebounder (he never had a 10 rebound per game season in Phoenix,) and definitely nothing more than an average defender at best. He does get the occasional timely stop on defense, but overall his effort level is never there for a full game.

I kind of agree with some of the posters that we should wait first and see how good/bad he looks. I mean he should be back in less than a month, and this team is well above .500 without his services up to this point. I figure he deserves at least a stretch of 7-10 games to see if this thing can work. He finally has competent PG play this year, and it should make life easier for him on the offensive side.

Defense, however, is another story alotgether.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast