Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,256
    vCash
    1500

    Three point shooting a constant ?

    Conventional wisdom says we will not be able to maintain the 3pt shooting we have now. Yet, with Melo and with Amare coming back our shooters should have open shots all season. Kidd, Smith, Felton have proven to be reliable, Novak is the best from three, and Wallace and Brewer are no scrubs, and Melo a beast from three so I dont see us getting worse.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NY/FL
    Posts
    1,701
    vCash
    1500
    I never understand why the so called experts say that a team can't maintain good 3 point shooting. I mean if you have a team of great shooters why not? Novak, Ray Allen etc. can keep it up all year, so why not other players who are good shooters or have improved their shot?

    Obviously players will have off days, but the Knicks have a group of extremely talented guys that get a lot of open looks. Plus we have the greatest shooting coach in the biz. That guys youtube videos are amazing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtS5GStuvI0


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,658
    vCash
    1500
    Law of averages.... Not concerned. They just need to be hot come playoff time.
    AS MJ WOULD SAY " IS THIS SIGNATURE IN VIOLATION NOW..."

    "Isiah's about as safe as me in a room full of cookies, If I'm in a room full of cookies the cookies ain't got no chance." --- Sir Charles

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,014
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Law of averages.... Not concerned. They just need to be hot come playoff time.
    Yes, but this group has not established an average yet. Around 30 games in, you can say that their shooting percentage is about average.

    Plus, the availability of quality shots strongly affects the 3pt percentage. If we continue to generate good open 3pt attempts, we will shoot a high percentage.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    771
    vCash
    1500
    Most of their threes are wide open and they shoot them in their normal spots.

    I can definitely see it staying somewhere close to this for the season.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,823
    vCash
    1500
    Novak, Melo and Kidd will be consistent all . JR is gonna have RED HOT nights and ICE COLD nights..Felton is meh from 3. Sheed is pretty good but he takes too many...Brewer I believe will fall off as the season goes on. That being said, I'm not worried about our shooting

    #TapeTwoOne....Oh Gawd

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,733
    vCash
    1500
    All their three's are wide open. No way are they getting these wide open three's in the postseason against premier defensive teams like the Heat.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,733
    vCash
    1500
    Hope I'm wrong.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    771
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by yanksrock View Post
    All their three's are wide open. No way are they getting these wide open three's in the postseason against premier defensive teams like the Heat.
    Guarding the three isn't a strength of Miami.

    They like to take away the paint and force turnovers.

    With this squad I'm not fearful of Miami at all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,733
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagged QT View Post
    Guarding the three isn't a strength of Miami.

    They like to take away the paint and force turnovers.

    With this squad I'm not fearful of Miami at all.
    Last year we Knicks couldn't get one uncontested three against them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    25,566
    vCash
    1461
    Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    Conventional wisdom says we will not be able to maintain the 3pt shooting we have now. Yet, with Melo and with Amare coming back our shooters should have open shots all season. Kidd, Smith, Felton have proven to be reliable, Novak is the best from three, and Wallace and Brewer are no scrubs, and Melo a beast from three so I dont see us getting worse.
    what?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    771
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by yanksrock View Post
    Last year we Knicks couldn't get one uncontested three against them.
    We didn't have a pg either, and other than Novak, who was a good three point shooter?

    BTW Novak made almost all of the ones he took.

    Miami doesn't guard the three well, what they do is close out on your best shooter.

    That won't be an issue if the team is healthy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    25,566
    vCash
    1461
    Brewer and Felton cannot keep this up. At this point in their careers, these percentages are a fluke. Both are off to an incredible start from outside though, though.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    5,088
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    Brewer and Felton cannot keep this up. At this point in their careers, these percentages are a fluke. Both are off to an incredible start from outside though, though.
    Ronnie has surprised me for sure I thought his shooting would be just as bad as Landry's I was wrong. But I agree both of their % should come down, Kidds as well. Melo will probably keep his around the lower 40% mark. It's all about the playoffs though, once teams adjust to our offense will we still be able to produce is the question.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    23,722
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    Yes, but this group has not established an average yet. Around 30 games in, you can say that their shooting percentage is about average.

    Plus, the availability of quality shots strongly affects the 3pt percentage. If we continue to generate good open 3pt attempts, we will shoot a high percentage.
    Agreed. A good shot is a good shot. I'll take 100 threes a game if they are good threes in rhythm and off ball movement. I also agree that this group hasn't established an average. People act like guys don't become better shooters throughout their careers even after 5+ seasons or have flukey seasons shooting the ball well.

    Its also tough to really say that because the system has a lot to do with the type of shots you get comfortable shooting, and how much of a rhythm you can get offensively. Ronnie is in a good rhythm right now, his corner threes are all wide freakin' open. A lot of bad shooters learn to drill that shot. In Ronnie's case the guy is hitting shots all over the floor.

    Woodson giving them the green light and confidence in them to shoot that shot has a lot to do with it too. Guys feeling like they will get an earful or benched for taking and missing those shots have tendency to not hit them as well.

    I mean the percentages might go down, they might go up. Who the **** knows. I see no reason guys like Brewer and Felton can't continue to hit wide open 3's as long as they continue to be wide open and limited to mostly pretty good shots.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

    "This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •