Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,581
    vCash
    1500
    40+ yarders are not excusable... but those 15 yard PATs are tough.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    733
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    When you can find an NFL kicker that can actually miss extra points, you have to sign him.
    I would say it is a improvement since he only cost us 1 point instead of 3. Thats defiantly a upgrade over Medlock. Sad but true.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    733
    vCash
    1500
    Noticed Bridges played the majority of the game and I was very pleased with his performance. I think he makes our offensive line much better and it showed tonight.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,081
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    I would say it is a improvement since he only cost us 1 point instead of 3. Thats defiantly a upgrade over Medlock. Sad but true.


    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    Noticed Bridges played the majority of the game and I was very pleased with his performance. I think he makes our offensive line much better and it showed tonight.
    I agree, and he'll only get better as he continue to work himself into game shape. Williams isn't as bad as Byers, but he's not really a quality guard.





  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,912
    vCash
    1500
    So my take:

    1. Completely agree about Chud. After two amazingly successful drives, he gets away from it. And it's not even just the defensive adjustments; it seems like the play calls weren't even from the same playbook. I mean, it's just sad. Look at what worked last year, look at what worked early in this game, and then we get away from it. Never know what you're going to get with Chud. Rivera needs to slap him upside his head and tell him both their jobs are on the line. I don't even mind if Rivera stays -- it's Chud's play-calling that's hurting more than anything this year.

    2. Agree about going into halftime without trying to move the ball. I'd probably care less if it wasn't for Newton's expression. That's what I want to see in this team -- the fire to keep going. Props to Newton. Kind of disappointed that he or an offensive captain (Gross, Smith, I'm looking at you) didn't call a timeout there, but I guess that's a sign that the coaches haven't lost the players, so that's positive?

    3. The O-line did look pretty solid. I didn't notice when Bridges went in, but if he played most of the game, I'd like to see him stay there. It's not perfect, but it's better.

    4. The run defense was horrible. I know some of us want to let Ron Edwards walk after this season, but today was a prime example of why this team needs him. Edwards is a force, whether he's making the plays or just eating up enough blockers to allow his teammates to get the job done; Sione Fua is no Ron Edwards. Even if you manage to land a guy like Star Whateverhislastnameis, having a veteran like Ron Edwards on the team isn't a bad thing.

    5. Why kick the PAT after the TD that made it 30-22? Making the PAT gives you a 9-point lead, missing the 2-pt conversion gives you an 8-point lead. Either way, a TD and FG beats you. If you make the 2-pt conversion, you have a 10-point lead and a TD and FG only ties. Mistake by Rivera there. Ironic that the PAT was missed anyway.

    6. If Nortman wasn't a rookie, I'd be worried. Let's just say I hope to see improvement next season. A shame that he seems to have regressed as the year's gone on. It seems like he's trying too hard to put air under the ball now, rather than airing it out and having faith in the return team. There's a reason you don't draft kickers/punters.

    7. Good for Gary Barnidge. Maybe we'll see more 2TE sets now instead of having Louis Murphy on the field. (Although to Murphy's defense, he didn't drop any passes and made a pretty good catch in double-coverage today.)

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,081
    vCash
    7100
    5. Why kick the PAT after the TD that made it 30-22? Making the PAT gives you a 9-point lead, missing the 2-pt conversion gives you an 8-point lead. Either way, a TD and FG beats you. If you make the 2-pt conversion, you have a 10-point lead and a TD and FG only ties. Mistake by Rivera there. Ironic that the PAT was missed anyway.
    You have to kick the PAT there. An 8 point lead is a one score lead, a 9 point lead is a two score lead. Zero excuse for the lack of execution on a PAT.





  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,912
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    You have to kick the PAT there. An 8 point lead is a one score lead, a 9 point lead is a two score lead. Zero excuse for the lack of execution on a PAT.
    Not trying to excuse the missed PAT. Your logic makes sense. I probably would have tried for two and looked like an idiot. #reasonswhyimnotacoach

    In other news, this is another game that won't hit that statistic of "games decided by 7 or fewer points", even though it was a 1-possession game.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,581
    vCash
    1500
    My take:

    I hate the running plays that aren't Cam running. Stewart started off okay, but you can still tell he isn't effective in the plays they're having him run. DeAngelo is looking like absolute garbage, and I truly don't think it's his fault. He's getting slammed before he can even get to the LOS; where is the FB run-blocking?

    Defense looked awful against a crap offense. I'm worried that maybe this year's defense isn't going to stretch into next year and we'll have the same problems we had in 2011.

    Nakamura is still helping us get that draft pick! Such a stupid penalty on that 50 yard PI play.

    Charles Johnson is better than Peppers ever was an all-round player. Even when he isn't getting sacks he's generating pressure or stopping the run. I don't care how much we paid him, I'm glad we did.

    Kuechly is still looking very good. I think he could very well be the best LB of the next decade if he continues to progress. I was extremely iffy on drafting him last year, but he's really paying off, and given Beason's health we might have been looking at drafting a MLB in the 2nd round this year anyway.

    Sherrod Martin needs to be our permanent starter. He was the starter on the first drive and saved the team by making a couple of big tackles (yes, you read that right, HE made the tackles) and he also had two pass-deflections (that should've been INTs). Nakamura could've very well cost us the game in this one with that PI play (though at this point that might be a good thing).

    Cam was looking great. This was the kind of game I was hoping he'd have (although I was hoping for a 4 passing TD game to shut up idiots who don't believe he can pass). Even on plays where the OL broke down he got away from the pressure and made plays. I also like how smart he is when he drops down to avoid hits on meaningless plays (like on 2nd and 8 he dropped at the LOS to avoid a hit).

    The Panthers dun goofed! Beating the Eagles will automatically drop us out of the top 5 and probably away from Star Louasdsldfjsldfj. Oh well, I can't pronounce his name anyway. Next week we play KC, then we have OAK, SD, ATL, and NO. We could very well win 3-4 of these games putting us at 6-7 wins, and putting us at around pick 9-14. This could make the draft a little more interesting to see who we'd pick in that scenario.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,081
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post

    Sherrod Martin needs to be our permanent starter. He was the starter on the first drive and saved the team by making a couple of big tackles (yes, you read that right, HE made the tackles) and he also had two pass-deflections (that should've been INTs). Nakamura could've very well cost us the game in this one with that PI play (though at this point that might be a good thing).
    Absolutely. Martin will take some bad angles and have some mental failures, but it's better than starting a guy with special teams physical ability at safety. Nakamura is garbage.





  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,912
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    My take:

    I hate the running plays that aren't Cam running. Stewart started off okay, but you can still tell he isn't effective in the plays they're having him run. DeAngelo is looking like absolute garbage, and I truly don't think it's his fault. He's getting slammed before he can even get to the LOS; where is the FB run-blocking?
    Agree 100%. This all comes back to the plays that are being called and, perhaps more so, the formations that are being used. We've all talked about it, so we all know the story. Williams is best in space and the plays that are being called are not giving him space. It just sucks because we've seen that he still has his explosiveness as recently as earlier this year. I really like what Chud did last year, but I'm extremely disappointed with him this year.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Defense looked awful against a crap offense. I'm worried that maybe this year's defense isn't going to stretch into next year and we'll have the same problems we had in 2011.

    Nakamura is still helping us get that draft pick! Such a stupid penalty on that 50 yard PI play.

    Charles Johnson is better than Peppers ever was an all-round player. Even when he isn't getting sacks he's generating pressure or stopping the run. I don't care how much we paid him, I'm glad we did.
    The defense had an off game, to be sure, but I don't think we'll see them regress next year, with one caveat: we need to get a stud NT in the draft. Ron Edwards' injury is probably a pretty good sign that he won't be back next year. Sione Fua forced a fumble this past game, but he hasn't been able to consume the blockers or get the push that Edwards had. It will be interesting to see whether Kearse is able to step up.

    If we are able to find the answer at NT, I think you'll see the rest of the D-line continue to improve (scary thought, right?). Johnson's been playing great, Hardy's stepped it up, Dwan Edwards has been terrific, and Alexander is playing decently when he's on the field. This unit has gone from weakness to strength and that alone might be enough to carry the defense. Look at how well this defense continues to do with Gamble and Beason out. I'm truly impressed, and I think it all starts up front.

    That penalty against Nakamura should not have been called. He in no way interfered with the ability of the receiver to get at the ball. It was a horrible pass and the ref bailed them out.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Kuechly is still looking very good. I think he could very well be the best LB of the next decade if he continues to progress. I was extremely iffy on drafting him last year, but he's really paying off, and given Beason's health we might have been looking at drafting a MLB in the 2nd round this year anyway.

    Sherrod Martin needs to be our permanent starter. He was the starter on the first drive and saved the team by making a couple of big tackles (yes, you read that right, HE made the tackles) and he also had two pass-deflections (that should've been INTs). Nakamura could've very well cost us the game in this one with that PI play (though at this point that might be a good thing).
    It will be interesting to see what happens with Beason. You know the team and fans still love him, but will he take the paycut needed for him to stay around, and at a position other than MLB? I'm hoping he does and we ease him back in like with TD, but it could mean that Anderson is the odd man out when Beason is back at full strength.

    I've been very impressed with Martin's tackling recently and agree that he needs to be the starter -- he's finally earned it. Nakamura should see the field as a dimeback though.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Cam was looking great. This was the kind of game I was hoping he'd have (although I was hoping for a 4 passing TD game to shut up idiots who don't believe he can pass). Even on plays where the OL broke down he got away from the pressure and made plays. I also like how smart he is when he drops down to avoid hits on meaningless plays (like on 2nd and 8 he dropped at the LOS to avoid a hit).

    The Panthers dun goofed! Beating the Eagles will automatically drop us out of the top 5 and probably away from Star Louasdsldfjsldfj. Oh well, I can't pronounce his name anyway. Next week we play KC, then we have OAK, SD, ATL, and NO. We could very well win 3-4 of these games putting us at 6-7 wins, and putting us at around pick 9-14. This could make the draft a little more interesting to see who we'd pick in that scenario.
    Newton looked good for many of the reasons you mentioned. Early on, he was throwing off his back foot a bit, but once he got going, he was rolling out of the pocket and taking off. The one thing I'd like to see is him keeping his eyes downfield when he rolls out -- when the defense sees him escape the pocket, there's a good chance one of them will abandon their receiver to make a play. And, as always, he needs to work on keeping the ball down a little bit better. He's lucky not to have more passes intercepted on overthrows. Still, a terrific game that reminded us what this offense should be capable of.

    I know lots of people want us to lose so we get a high draft pick, but I'd honestly rather see the team improve. Of our last 6 games, we had/have:

    - Eagles, a team in chaos
    - Chiefs, a team that just sucks
    - Raiders, a team that just sucks
    - Chargers, another team that may lose their coach

    Those are teams that we can show progress against. We really need two statement games though -- one against the Chiefs or Raiders that's a blowout, and one against the Falcons or Saints where we show some grit and get a tough win. It's worth keeping in mind that they aren't just playing for the coaches' jobs, they're also playing for their own jobs, and it would be a shame to see our talent leave when we really are so close. "What? We're not close!" If we had better offensive play-calling and special teams that didn't suck, what would our record be?

    As far as draft priorities, you take BPA, with emphasis on NT and OL.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,581
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Agree 100%. This all comes back to the plays that are being called and, perhaps more so, the formations that are being used. We've all talked about it, so we all know the story. Williams is best in space and the plays that are being called are not giving him space. It just sucks because we've seen that he still has his explosiveness as recently as earlier this year. I really like what Chud did last year, but I'm extremely disappointed with him this year.
    I've always loved watching Williams run stretch and pitches, but I don't think I've seen him get one this year (not counting option pitches), and I don't think I've seen 10 ran this year overall, but I saw Stewart get a pitch to the left last night and he took it 8 yards. Stewart should be getting mostly straight forward runs (he's the power-back) and Williams should be getting a lot of pitches/stretches. But for whatever reason, our OC thinks we should run 200 lb Williams into 300 lb linemen every play. What's sad is I've seen Williams fight to the LOS on some plays this year that I don't think any other HB his size could've done.

    That penalty against Nakamura should not have been called. He in no way interfered with the ability of the receiver to get at the ball. It was a horrible pass and the ref bailed them out.
    You might want to go watch that play again. He got his right hand on the receivers right shoulder and his left hand under the receivers left shoulder pad. I don't know if it was an accident or not, but it was definitely PI (and I highly doubt the receiver would've gotten it).

    It will be interesting to see what happens with Beason. You know the team and fans still love him, but will he take the paycut needed for him to stay around, and at a position other than MLB? I'm hoping he does and we ease him back in like with TD, but it could mean that Anderson is the odd man out when Beason is back at full strength.
    As bad as it sounds, I think I'd rather keep Anderson than cut Anderson to keep Beason. Beason is a better player, but he's also injured and way more expensive. I also think that'd be crappy to do to a guy like Anderson who does his job (IMO doesn't deserve to be cut). I know over-loyalty got the team in a mess, but Anderson is fine in my book.

    As for the pay-cut, that's a huge mystery. I feel like if I were a player in the NFL who was being paid what Beason's been paid the last two seasons to sit on his butt, I'd be willing to drop my contract down if it meant helping the team. However, he seemed upset once Kuechly got his first start at MLB (against SEA) and almost seemed like he'd be opposed to giving up the MLB spot. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of work to do with Beason this off-season.

    I've been very impressed with Martin's tackling recently and agree that he needs to be the starter -- he's finally earned it. Nakamura should see the field as a dimeback though.
    I'd be fine with him seeing dimeback roles, but only for this season (since we have so many starters injured), only if he he isn't in charge of the deep zones, and preferably if he's used to blitz. He's been terrible in pass-coverage, but he's made some interesting plays on run plays. I think he'd be interesting in an exotic blitz situation (though it's not like McDermott even knows that word).

    I know lots of people want us to lose so we get a high draft pick, but I'd honestly rather see the team improve. Of our last 6 games, we had/have:

    - Eagles, a team in chaos
    - Chiefs, a team that just sucks
    - Raiders, a team that just sucks
    - Chargers, another team that may lose their coach

    Those are teams that we can show progress against. We really need two statement games though -- one against the Chiefs or Raiders that's a blowout, and one against the Falcons or Saints where we show some grit and get a tough win. It's worth keeping in mind that they aren't just playing for the coaches' jobs, they're also playing for their own jobs, and it would be a shame to see our talent leave when we really are so close. "What? We're not close!" If we had better offensive play-calling and special teams that didn't suck, what would our record be?
    I think we might end up finishing with last year's record of 6-10 or maybe 5-11, but I think we'll be outside of the top 5. I'd honestly love to see us string off some wins, but I'm also concerned it might help Rivera's job. I like the wins and all, but I just want two things the rest of the season: Cam to play amazing football in all of the remaining games (to shut up the doubters and give him some positive notes to end the season) and for any wins we get for the rest of the season to be either blowouts (show dominance) or 4th quarter comebacks (another annoying statistic people like to go on about).

    I don't know if anyone else noticed or not, but yesterday's win was Cam's second 4th quarter comeback (the first being against JAX last year).

    As far as draft priorities, you take BPA, with emphasis on NT and OL.
    Yeah, I agree with this, regardless of where we pick. It's looking like Star will be way out of reach unless we trade up, and depending how he does in the combine and depending how bad the teams in front of us want him, we'll probably miss out on Joeckel. If we win out of the top 7 we probably won't have Hankins either. If we don't get either of those three I could see CB Milliner, the best WR of the draft, or OT Matthews being the pick.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,912
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    You might want to go watch that play again. He got his right hand on the receivers right shoulder and his left hand under the receivers left shoulder pad. I don't know if it was an accident or not, but it was definitely PI (and I highly doubt the receiver would've gotten it).
    Looked like his left hand was on the receiver's left arm, right hand playing the ball. If anything, he kept the receiver from overrunning the ball too much.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    As bad as it sounds, I think I'd rather keep Anderson than cut Anderson to keep Beason. Beason is a better player, but he's also injured and way more expensive. I also think that'd be crappy to do to a guy like Anderson who does his job (IMO doesn't deserve to be cut). I know over-loyalty got the team in a mess, but Anderson is fine in my book.

    As for the pay-cut, that's a huge mystery. I feel like if I were a player in the NFL who was being paid what Beason's been paid the last two seasons to sit on his butt, I'd be willing to drop my contract down if it meant helping the team. However, he seemed upset once Kuechly got his first start at MLB (against SEA) and almost seemed like he'd be opposed to giving up the MLB spot. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of work to do with Beason this off-season.
    With how our LBs have been getting injured the last few years, I honestly think the best idea is to keep all of them, if possible. I think Beason cares enough about this organization that he'd play whichever LB position he's asked to.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'm also concerned it might help Rivera's job.
    I seriously wouldn't mind if Rivera is around against next year. In fact, I think I'd prefer it. The last thing a young team needs is lots of change, learning new systems, etc. I think Chud's play-calling is the bigger issue right now, honestly. That and special teams.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I like the wins and all, but I just want two things the rest of the season: Cam to play amazing football in all of the remaining games (to shut up the doubters and give him some positive notes to end the season) and for any wins we get for the rest of the season to be either blowouts (show dominance) or 4th quarter comebacks (another annoying statistic people like to go on about).

    I don't know if anyone else noticed or not, but yesterday's win was Cam's second 4th quarter comeback (the first being against JAX last year).
    I really want to see this time just put the pieces together. That includes Newton doing well, but I think dominance would be huge for this team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •