Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How good of a team is this?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic, contender in the long and short term

2 15.38%
  • Realistic, contender in the long term

0 0%
  • Realistic, contender in the short term

1 7.69%
  • Not realistic

10 76.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Screwdriver's Cubs Offseason Mock

Trades:
    Dan Haren - send Vitters and T. Wood to the Angels and assume 90% of Haren's 2013 salary
    Brett Anderson - send McNutt and B-Jax to the A's as assume 100% of Anderson's 2013 salary

Free Agents:
    R. Cedeno - 1yr/$1.25M
    Ichiro - 2yr/$16M
    Marcum - 3yr/$27M
    Youkilis - 3yr/$36M
    Contreras - 2yr/$5M (assuming Philly doesn't pick up option)
    Lidge - 1yr/$1M

Starting lineup:
    Ichiro (CF)
    DeJesus (RF)
    Castro (SS)
    Rizzo (1B)
    Youkilis (3B)
    Soriano (LF)
    Barney (2B)
    Castilo (C)

Bench:
    Clevenger, LaHair, Valbuena, Campana, Cedeno

Rotation:
    Garza, Haren, Shark, Anderson, Marcum

Bullpen:
    Marmol, Lidge, Russell, Dolis, Beliveau, Bowden, Contreras

For simplicity I've assumed all FA contract money is spread evenly. Using the MLBTR arb figures plus other previous commitments, my calculations put this roster just short of $119M.

Code:
    Soriano 19.00
    Marmol 9.80
    DeJesus 4.25
    Castro 5.80
    Barney 1.00 (Yes, I assume he gets there with the Gold Glove)
    Garza 10.00
    Samardzija 2.90
    Valbuena 0.90
    Russell 0.90
    Suzuki 8.00
    Haren 13.95 (80% of 15.50)
    Marcum 9.00
    Anderson 5.75
    Lidge 1.00
    Youkilis 12.00
    Contreras 2.50
    Cedeno 1.25
    Bowden 0.50
    Campana 0.50
    LaHair 0.50
    Clevenger 0.50
    Rizzo 0.50
    Dolis 0.50
    Beliveau 0.50
    W. Castilo 0.50

Other commitments:
    Soler 1.66
    Concepcion 1.20
    L. Catillo 0.50
    Vizcaino 0.50
    Raley 0.50
    Rusin 0.50
    Cabrera 0.50

Total committed: $117.36M
    n

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    No option for "unrealistic and not a good team?" Anderson is the only new possibly long term addition, and a 36 year old RFer is being signed to play CF.

vCash
    I don't like the proposed contract for Youkilis, nor do I believe Ichiro wants anything to do with the Cubs. An overpay for Haren, too.

I didn't do a mock, but I feel that anyone who previously listed acquiring Haren in trade should be able to amend that aspect of their post. Or they should suggest what type of free agent contract they'd now be willing to offer him, if they're still interested.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    I like the Anderson trade but I don't think Ichiro would have any interest in coming here. Plus I really don't have interest in Ichiro either.

vCash
    I like the Anderson deal. Marcum is ok. I don't see a lot of upside in the other free agents though. Youk is probably a year too long. I think you could get something decent for Marcum. I'm not sure if Haren has a lot left, but at that costs I don't think it's a terrible gamble. I'd vote realistic in the sense that it could be done, but I don't think it would be the most competitive team.

vCash
    Well this one is difficult for me to judge. I don't think those moves are unrealistc but i am not sure that team can compete. I don't love the offense. You added Ichiro and Youk. Ichiro really doesn't scare anybody at this point and Youkilis while better with the Sox is a huge injury risk. De Jesus should be part of a platoon IMHO and i don't see anyone on that bench to do that. Castillo is really a question mark at this point as well.

The rotation could be good if they stay healthy but with the history of Anderson ( Did like the trade ) and Marcum that's very much unlikely . I am very worried about Haren's drop in velocity as well. I am not sure it will come back at this point.

Bullpen is suspect as well.

Dolis and Belieavu are huge question marks. Contreras has pitched well when healthy but getting up there in age. Marmol i don't even know what to say about him. The fear of him coming in and walking 10 straight is always there for me so i never feel sure with him on the mound.

Again this one is difficult for me to judge. I'll give you credit because the moves for the most part i would qualify as realistic but a lot of things would need to go perfectly for this group to contend Just MHO.
    Last edited by Dfan25; 11-20-2012 at 11:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    No option for "unrealistic and not a good team?" Anderson is the only new possibly long term addition, and a 36 year old RFer is being signed to play CF.
    How is this not realistic? The dollar amounts are solid and the trades aren't far fetched.

The point of the mock is not to see what will happen, but rather what you want to happen.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Where's the option for realistic, but not a contender at all?

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Sure it's realistic in the sense that could afford these guys, they can afford a whole lot of scenarios. OTOH, Brett Anderson for Brett Jackson and Trey McNutt is not realistic just because the Cubs take on his hefty 5 million. Nor do I think signing a guy who's played RF for over a decade and is now close to 40 is going to sign up to play CF for anyone.

vCash
    Sure it's realistic in the sense that could afford these guys, they can afford a whole lot of scenarios. OTOH, Brett Anderson for Brett Jackson and Trey McNutt is not realistic just because the Cubs take on his hefty 5 million. Nor do I think signing a guy who's played RF for over a decade and is now close to 40 is going to sign up to play CF for anyone.
    You are not going to like the mock offseason thing to be honest.

You probably shouldn't even read the things if you are going to act like this. This is a fun game not a will the Cubs actually do it. I promise you the Cubs won't do what I have submitted, but its for fun and a way to pass the offseason a little bit.

vCash
    ^ what this guy said. You could use money in a lot wiser ways then to just sign players that fans will know by name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    You are not going to like the mock offseason thing to be honest.

You probably shouldn't even read the things if you are going to act like this. This is a fun game not a will the Cubs actually do it. I promise you the Cubs won't do what I have submitted, but its for fun and a way to pass the offseason a little bit.
    This.

Its a mock offseason. Arguing over whether Ichiro will play CF isn't the point. The point is to evaluate the realisticness of the signings and trades and how strong of a team it is.

If you want to argue whether Ichiro would play well in CF then go right ahead, but arguing over him moving over is just being nitpicky and ruining the game.
    Last edited by Ron!n; 11-21-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terencem View Post
    ^ what this guy said. You could use money in a lot wiser ways then to just sign players that fans will know by name.
    While the resulting roster wouldn't compete -- starting lineup struggles to post a collective 20 WAR; the bench could net negative wins -- the rotation is tempting, and everyone was more or less a reasonable acquisition. Outside of how our actual front office might operate, I think the only signing that I can't squint and see happening if Screwdriver was GM is Ichiro.

Were it an option, I would vote realistic and not a competitor. I like the direction the rotation was heading, but there was nothing done anywhere else to give me confidence that the team might compete in the short and/or long term.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    While the resulting roster wouldn't compete -- starting lineup struggles to post a collective 20 WAR; the bench could net negative wins -- the rotation is tempting, and everyone was more or less a reasonable acquisition. Outside of how our actual front office might operate, I think the only signing that I can't squint and see happening if Screwdriver was GM is Ichiro.

Were it an option, I would vote realistic and not a competitor. I like the direction the rotation was heading, but there was nothing done anywhere else to give me confidence that the team might compete in the short and/or long term.
    Yeah Ron!n, we need this as an option for next time.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Hasn't dan haren already been a declared free agent? I actually think this team could be put together (aaside from Haren). This team could compete in the NL central depending on the moves the cards and brewers make. I wouldn't say it's strong, But if Haren, MArcum, anderson, and Garza all pitch to their pre injury levels, then it would actually be a good staff... But I think that hitting on all 4 would take alot of luck.

I mean if the Orioles from last year can make the playoffs this team certainly could.
    Last edited by flips333; 11-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast