Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Phil Wilson: "Colts fans, keep this in mind"

Good morning, Colts fans.

Woke up with several thoughts this morning. Sometimes, the mind just starts racing.

Here goes:

– I’m worried rookie QB Andrew Luck is getting a bit gun shy. Seriously, he was getting hit early and often in Sunday’s 20-13 home win over Buffalo. That opening series, TE Dwayne Allen was wide open, but Luck missed because he had to duck to brace himself for getting creamed after he threw. He took four sacks. He’s taken 26. They add up. He’s on pace to take 38. As much as interim coach Bruce Arians likes to throw the ball down the field, it might be wise to add a few more dink-and-dunk plays other than just an occasional wide receiver bubble screen to take some of the pressure off the kid.

– While the Colts have won, let’s not get too giddy about these cornerbacks. Fact is, the Bills beat the Colts deep three times. The first two, Buffalo QB Ryan Fitzpatrick missed. Both should have been TDs. The third time, WR Stevie Johnson went 63 yards. In one of unexplained trends from the Buffalo sideline, for some reason the Bills didn’t really throw it deep after that. Don’t recall too many deep shots. The Colts are grateful. CB Vontae Davis needs to get back from a knee injury. That should help, although it won’t completely fix the problem, which will be an issue until addressed in the offseason.

– Rookie T.Y. Hilton has earned the No. 2 WR spot. He’s scored four TDs the past two games, three of those on receptions the other a 75-yard punt return. While WR Donnie Avery impressed me early on, he hasn’t lately. It sure seems as if Avery is more inconsistent than the surging Hilton, who is playing like a guy who needs to be on the field as much as possible.

– ILB Jerrell Freeman has been this team’s MVP, hands down. The media has given him props in the past for making a few plays, for filling in when 2011 leading tackler Pat Angerer got hurt on the first play in preseason, but what Freeman has done goes far beyond just a good guy getting the job done. His 16-tackle, one-sack game against the Bills included bring down slippery RB C.J. Spiller in the open field, which is difficult when the back gives that stutter move. If you take the time to talk to Freeman, the former Canadian Football League All-Star is humble, as if he’s not wanting to wake up and realize this has all been a dream. Freeman has 101 tackles, fourth in the league, according to NFL.com.

– The Colts’ playoff situation is probably better than most realize. Yes, they’re 7-4 and the fifth seed. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are both 6-5, one game back, but realistically it’s more than that because the Colts have the conference record tiebreaker on both. The Colts have a 5-3 conference record. The Steelers are 3-5, the Bengals 4-5. Oh, and looking at schedules, the Steelers and Bengals have to play once more. After that, the only team within remote striking distance is Miami at 5-6. The Colts have the head-to-head on those guys and the Dolphins have a 3-5 conference record. Barring a collapse, the Colts should be able to secure a playoff berth with nine wins without any problem. Ten would make it for sure, but it’s starting to look like nine will be the minimum requirement.
    http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2012...-this-in-mind/
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    They should be able to get to 9 wins with TEN at home and KC on the road and HOU possibly resting their starters the last week. That doesn't even include a possible road upset this week...

vCash
    I agree with most of this and said the quick slant and screen plays should have been a staple day one. It's nice to get a big play action bomb, but those don't work unless you get the D creeping up and biting.

The one thing I don't like is the idea of TY taking the #2 WR spot. He is a slot monster but moving outside I'm not sure he would be as effective. Let Avery get covered by the outside guys and let TY work the nickel CBs over...he may not have meant completely moving him outside when saying #2 WR and could have meant in looks and targets but I just wanted to throw that out there. Keep TY with fresh legs under him. He will get extra touches and field time in the return game and again will work slot CBs for years to come...IMO he will hit a big wall if moved outside consistently and is in on almost every play...never been a big fan of having your every down outside guys returning kicks if for nothing else but the fatigue factor....there is a reason you seldom if ever see starting RB's returning kicks.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 11-27-2012 at 02:27 PM.

vCash
    I love the Colts, but this season has been one of the most mediocre NFL seasons honestly in my entire lifetime. There are no dominant teams anymore, the years of the powerhouse Colts, Steelers, and Patriots is over.

Playoffs or not, the most we could hope for is a Tim Tebow like upset first round. I am not expecting that though against a team like the Broncos, Patriots or Ravens though.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    I just know its going to be Colts vs. Broncos. And we are going to lose to the Broncos. Blah, blah, blah about..."Did the Colts make the right decision?" and me being annoyed will ensue.

And...here...we...go...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    I love the Colts, but this season has been one of the most mediocre NFL seasons honestly in my entire lifetime. There are no dominant teams anymore, the years of the powerhouse Colts, Steelers, and Patriots is over.

Playoffs or not, the most we could hope for is a Tim Tebow like upset first round. I am not expecting that though against a team like the Broncos, Patriots or Ravens though.
    You're acting like it's superbowl or bust, while that was the mindset of the Colts every year with Peyton, its just not realistic to expect that from this team in year 1 of the rebuild.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theriot2 View Post
    I just know its going to be Colts vs. Broncos. And we are going to lose to the Broncos. Blah, blah, blah about..."Did the Colts make the right decision?" and me being annoyed will ensue.
    If we make the playoffs and lose by 60 I'd still be happy because I'll be pumped about just getting in.

vCash
    I'm wondering if making the playoffs would help attract FA's. I know we have an infinite amount of cap space next year, which will help, but maybe players make take slightly less to sign with an up and coming team as opposed to a team on the decline or a team not close to playoff contention.

<3

vCash
    I wouldn't be happy losing by 60....but the phrase I would use is that we are playing on house money in the playoffs. We would be about 2-3+ years ahead of what most people thought the schedule on getting Luck and the rookie crew playoff experience was going to be.

Just getting there with the youth and the holes in our team is going to be a huge draw for FAs when we have a pile of money to spend. We aren't just going to have to outbid for players that we need....we can also go after the guys that just want to win. Making the playoffs would make us a realistic landing spot for any FA other than a QB that wants to start. We can offer a big role for many positions, we can offer a good salary with our free cap, and we can offer them a chance at winning....should be a place for many of the top FAs to consider with a year of playoff experience.