Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post
    Over Richardson? Why the kid from Purdue if you don't mind me asking?
    He really is in the mold of Kevin Williams I believe, his junior year he was just a terror on the QB, this year he had some great games and is a pretty good guy to play next to both KWill and act as his successor.

As for Richardson, I don't forsee him being available, both him and Shariff Floyd being picked ahead of us at this point. It is pretty crazy though that there are possibly 8 1st round DT's in this class....The hard part is that I think all of these guys are probably not there when we pick in the 2nd round

My rankings of DT would be...

Star
    Jonathan Hankins
    Sheldon Richardson
    Shariff Floyd
    Kwann Short
    Bennie Logan
    Jonathan Jenkins
    Margus Hunt[higher if not for age]

Jesse Williams and Sly Williams are a step below this
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    I didnt follow college football this season as close as I usually do so didnt see alot of the top WRs actually play. But when I watch video of all the top guys like Keenan Allen, Williams, Woods, Hunter etc the one guy that stands out to me is DeAndre Hopkins. The guy snatches everything with his hands good speed really underrated kid out of Clemson.

vCash
    He could jump up during the combine, what I see around he is closer to a high 2nd rounder than in the Keenan Allen or Patterson group, a guy we could target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ellesmeire View Post
    He could jump up during the combine, what I see around he is closer to a high 2nd rounder than in the Keenan Allen or Patterson group, a guy we could target.
    This years class looks like it will be full of receivers who should go somewhere between late 1st and early 2nd. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back and collect a middle round pick.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    That would be the route I would want to go. Have us trade back, possibly into the beginning of the second round and picking up a middle-round pick in the process and going with DeAndre Hopkins as our first pick. Out of all the videos I have seen, I'm looking at who is going to go up and grab the ball. Keenan Allen did not impress me in the slightest. Alot of catching with his body. Where DeAndre would go grab the ball at it's high point and THAT is what we need when we have a quarterback like Christian Ponder. I would then hope the next pick would be Warford at OL, but is that really the biggest need right now? No. Another receiver, CB, DT, or ILB would be the better choice in round 2.

vCash
    Looking back at previous drafts, there have been some good picks in the 2nd round when it comes to offensive lineman, especially guards (if we decide to go that route).

2012: Mitchell Schwartz, Cordy Glenn, Amini Silatolu, Peter Konz, Kelechi Osemele
    2011: Orlando Franklin, Stefen Wisniewski, Rodney Hudson, Marcus Gilbert
    2010: Roger Safford, Zane Beadles
    2009: Eben Britton, Max Unger, Andy Levitre, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Vollmer, William Beatty

With all this talk of the top 2 rounds being filled with talent, I think it would be wise if we traded back in the draft and then tried to trade back into the 2nd. 3 top 60 picks would be nice.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I agree. Top three rounds have so much talent. If somehow we could get 2 3rd rounders and 2 second rounders and a 4th, that would bring in some great talent. I would keep the first rounder though. Right now we are looking at:
    WR for sure.
    DT
    G
    ILB
    CB.

1ST- Kevin Minter ILB. I like Kevin Here because the crop of ILB's is very very thin. Minter is the best one out of the bunch. We have a great shot at getting our ILB for years with our first.

2nd round- Deandre Hopkins WR. We would have to bump up for this high in the second, but it would be worth it. Our depth on the team is getting really good so trading some of next years picks combined with maybe one of our fourths and a second rounder from next year could get us up to the top of the second.

other 2nd rounder- Sylvester Williams DT. Very good pick here I like him or Kyle Long OT/OG.
    I was blown away by Long's play at the senior bowl at Guard. He looked like a heck of a prospect at Guard. And he was playing RG.

3rd rounder- Tony Jefferson-FS. I really like this guy. Very productive and to match him with Harrison would lock down the back field. They both can tackle and are ball hawks. would be a smart move.

If we got another 3rd- Tyrann Mathieu-S/CB. Tyrann is going to be a steal who ever bites. We have to take the chance. The kid had some problems, but is nothing compared to what most prospects have.
    This guy is crazy good. He is everywhere and ALWAYS around the ball. Great kickoff/punt guy too. Could be the steal of the draft.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    This years class looks like it will be full of receivers who should go somewhere between late 1st and early 2nd. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back and collect a middle round pick.
    That would be a good option if Keenan Allen and Cordarrelle Patterson are both gone before 23... If there is no elite talent left (WR/DT/MLB/OG) then why not trade down a few and get an additional pick that can be used later to trade up or just grab a player that has long term potential and might pan out and develop into a eventual starter down the road. I especially like the idea of grabbing a middle round receiver with this hypothetical pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    I didnt follow college football this season as close as I usually do so didnt see alot of the top WRs actually play. But when I watch video of all the top guys like Keenan Allen, Williams, Woods, Hunter etc the one guy that stands out to me is DeAndre Hopkins. The guy snatches everything with his hands good speed really underrated kid out of Clemson.
    He is definitely right there with Allen and Patterson IMO. I posted a bit on him before and have always said he's the third and final receiver I would even consider at 23 though I would probably like to see him in the 2nd round. Problem is he's going to go late 1st/early 2nd, way before we pick at 52. This trade down thing could be a good route if the Vikings scouts and Spielman believe Hopkins is the receiver they want to target.

Quote Originally Posted by LaudiDodi View Post
    That would be the route I would want to go. Have us trade back, possibly into the beginning of the second round and picking up a middle-round pick in the process and going with DeAndre Hopkins as our first pick. Out of all the videos I have seen, I'm looking at who is going to go up and grab the ball. Keenan Allen did not impress me in the slightest. Alot of catching with his body. Where DeAndre would go grab the ball at it's high point and THAT is what we need when we have a quarterback like Christian Ponder. I would then hope the next pick would be Warford at OL, but is that really the biggest need right now? No. Another receiver, CB, DT, or ILB would be the better choice in round 2.
    I'de take that but I disagree with the bold. In the draft you don't want to go purely by positional need. If they believe Warford is a better talent at guard than any at DT, CB, or MLB left at 52 then they should take him. Even if we could get bye with what guards we have if he's a better prospect he's a better prospect. Personally I think OG is right there with MLB and DT as needs anyways.

A trade back from 23 to say the Jaguars, Chiefs, Eagles, or Cardinals who may be looking to snatch a QB up at the end of the 1st round might be an option. Either way if we trade back grab somebody like DeAndre Hopkins or Kevin Minter then we have the 52nd pick in round 2, a 3rd, two 4ths, plus whatever additional picks remaining from trading down we could then use some to trade up and get Larry Warford or just sit still and get a DT like Sly Williams, reuniting the Williams Wall, or a WR if we didn't take Hopkins with our first pick. Say we go did though and also took OG Warford too. We could then use our 3rd, assuming we still have it, to draft another WR like maybe Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech or CB like Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State, Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa, or David Amerson, CB/S, N.C. State or just grab another safety like Tony Jefferson of Oklahoma or Rambo of Georgia.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 02-01-2013 at 08:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    I agree. Top three rounds have so much talent. If somehow we could get 2 3rd rounders and 2 second rounders and a 4th, that would bring in some great talent. I would keep the first rounder though. Right now we are looking at:
    WR for sure.
    DT
    G
    ILB
    CB.

1ST- Kevin Minter ILB. I like Kevin Here because the crop of ILB's is very very thin. Minter is the best one out of the bunch. We have a great shot at getting our ILB for years with our first.
    I agree. Manti Te'o, Alec Ogletree, or Kevin Minter are all strong possibilities in Round 1. It would be especially good though if we can manage to trade down and still grab one of these guys because they'll need the extra picks then to nab middle round receivers. The only one I think we can trade down a bit and still grab is Minter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    2nd round- Deandre Hopkins WR. We would have to bump up for this high in the second, but it would be worth it. Our depth on the team is getting really good so trading some of next years picks combined with maybe one of our fourths and a second rounder from next year could get us up to the top of the second.

other 2nd rounder- Sylvester Williams DT. Very good pick here I like him or Kyle Long OT/OG.
    I was blown away by Long's play at the senior bowl at Guard. He looked like a heck of a prospect at Guard. And he was playing RG.

3rd rounder- Tony Jefferson-FS. I really like this guy. Very productive and to match him with Harrison would lock down the back field. They both can tackle and are ball hawks. would be a smart move.

If we got another 3rd- Tyrann Mathieu-S/CB. Tyrann is going to be a steal who ever bites. We have to take the chance. The kid had some problems, but is nothing compared to what most prospects have.
    This guy is crazy good. He is everywhere and ALWAYS around the ball. Great kickoff/punt guy too. Could be the steal of the draft.
    I'de take the rest of this mock draft too except stay away from Mathieu. I'm not biting on him, you guys keep talking about his play in the past and how talented he was but that's just it. One good season. He isn't really even a good fit because of his size. I'de rather draft someone like Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa over him. He fits the scheme, a hard worker, and a good person. Nothing to worry about. That and I'de still take another WR over any CB in round 3. Someone like Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech or such.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 02-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post
    I agree. Manti Te'o, Alec Ogletree, or Kevin Minter are all strong possibilities in Round 1. It would be especially good though if we can manage to trade down and still grab one of these guys because they'll need the extra picks then to nab middle round receivers. The only one I think we can trade down a bit and still grab is Minter.

I'de take the rest of this mock draft too except stay away from Mathieu. I'm not biting on him, you guys keep talking about his play in the past and how talented he was but that's just it. One good season. He isn't really even a good fit because of his size. I'de rather draft someone like Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa over him. He fits the scheme, a hard worker, and a good person. Nothing to worry about. That and I'de still take another WR over any CB in round 3. Someone like Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech or such.
    I do like Micah Hyde or Patten. Those guys are very good CB with big play ability
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Just read an article that has Arthur Brown as the #1 MLB. I don't know much about him and I don't think I've seen much written on him here either. Anyone know if he fits our scheme at all?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-board/page/17

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 4 , Yards: 57 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Poyer keeps on dropping because of his speed, he is a good fit with us though.

^^^Personally I would say he fits more as an OLB in our scheme, he seems a bit small to play MLB. In a 34 he could perhaps but I don't know for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Just read an article that has Arthur Brown as the #1 MLB. I don't know much about him and I don't think I've seen much written on him here either. Anyone know if he fits our scheme at all?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-board/page/17
    Arthur Brown is not the #1 MLB prospect.

Brothers Arthur and Bryce Brown were top recruits coming out of Wichita East High School, Arthur as a linebacker signing with Miami (Fla.) in 2008 and his brother going to Tennessee as a running back in 2009. Neither finished their careers with those schools, however, as they chose to complete them in the same place –- Manhattan, Kansas, to play for head coach Bill Snyder at Kansas State.

Arthur Brown struggled to crack the starting lineup in his two seasons in South Beach, finishing his Hurricane career getting in 23 contests (with no starts) and making just 17 tackles. When he moved back to his home state of Kansas, transferring to Kansas State he did MUCH better though.

After sitting out the 2010 season due to transfer rules, it didn't take long for Arthur to make an impact at Kansas State and became the Wildcats' most consistent force on the defensive side of the ball. Brown stepped up and became not only a team leader but also one of the top linebackers in the Big 12 if not the Nation. He had a stand-out junior campaign at middle linebacker in his first season with the Wildcats, totaling a team-best 101 tackles with 9.5 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and one interception. That interception was probably his biggest play of the year. Against Baylor, Brown intercepted Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III to set up the Wildcats’ game-winning field goal -– it was the only second-half interception RG3 threw all season.

His success continued into 2012, as Brown started every game at either inside or outside linebacker, amassing 100 total tackles, seven for loss, including one sack. He added four pass breakups and two interceptions, one of which came against West Virginia's Geno Smith, the Mountaineer's first of the season.

Brown is a fluid and explosive athlete with very good range to be effective against both the run and the pass. Brown top instincts allow him to sniff out the play and he is quick to react, rarely missing tackles when he's in the area. Some will question his size, he is considered undersized for the inside linebacker position with short arms and lacks the growth potential to get much bigger, but Brown plays much bigger than his frame suggests due to strong hands (he does a nice job avoiding and fighting through blocks) and a physical attitude on contact.

Brown will need to answer some maturity concerns, but the brother of the Philadelphia Eagles' 2012 seventh-round draft pick, running back Bryce Brown, enters the 2012 season ranked as a top-75 draft pick for next April's draft.
    I fail to see how his stats or physical make up make him better than Te'o, Ogletree, or even Minter. To me he's a second round pick and someone who's ceiling is probably already capped at where he is now in terms of talent and ability because he's not ideal size for the position. He could probably play inside linebacker but would be better at weak-side in the NFL.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 02-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.

vCash
    Round 1, Pick 23: Sheldon Richardson, Alec Ogletree and Cordarelle Patterson are available. Who do we choose? I say Patterson because I would rather roll with the same group of DTs and LBs we had last year than face a whole new season with the same WRs.

Thoughts?
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!

vCash
    I think Hopkins is the most pro ready WR in this draft, so I'm totally on board with him being our first pick. He is a very polished route runner. I watched quite a few Clemson games to watch Sammy Watkins but everytime I did Hopkins was way more involved then Watkins.

Another good route runner is R. Woods, who is totally being underrated. Woods is another good route runner, great hands, and very, very fast in and out of his breaks. In the NFL that will mean separation.

Both Woods and Hopkins would make excellent split ends. That being said, I don't want to rely only on rookie WR's on the outside. So bringing in a Hopkins and a FA complement would suit me best.

Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast