Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The exciting thing is that we really have no idea what Speilman is going to do, unlike last year when it was clear we were getting Kalil.
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash

North Practice Notes: DT Sylvester Williams Dominates

The North squad took the field for practice. I sat in the bleachers behind one of the end zones, so my observations for Tuesday’s action will focus on the drill work and 11-on-11 action that happened right in front of me.

The star of the show for the North team on Tuesday was clearly North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams. He displayed a combination of size, strength and quickness that could make him a dominant player in the NFL.

In a one-on-one drill with Kent State G Brian Winters, Williams used a quick rip move to get past the blocker and find the QB. Then moments later in a drill where the defensive linemen were working against double-teams, Williams split the two players blocking him with ease to make a play.

Williams, who goes by “Sly” instead of Sylvester, measured in at the Senior Bowl a touch over 6-2 and at 313 pounds. He has a solid base and good upper body strength, which allows him to anchor well and also fend off blockers with his arms so he can penetrate the backfield to make a play or force a play the wrong direction so a teammate can make a play.

There were a couple of times when Oregon RB Kenjon Barner was able to dance around Williams in the backfield, but I think you have to give the defense a break there because players don’t tackle to the ground in these practices and because Barner is a great player in his own right.

Another impressive part of Williams’ game is his ability to anticipate snap counts. I’m not sure if this was a strength of his during actual games in college, but during practice on Tuesday he was able to anticipate a few snap counts, which made his already explosive first step even more explosive and his already dominant performance even more impressive.

“Sly” Williams followed up an absolutely dominant day on Tuesday with another excellent day on Wednesday. He was in the backfield frequently disrupting both QBs and RBs.

- Posted by Mike Wobschall @ Vikings.com Blog

What round is he to go in? If he could fall to the 3rd, maybe perfect player to pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ellesmeire View Post
    The exciting thing is that we really have no idea what Speilman is going to do, unlike last year when it was clear we were getting Kalil.
    Lol it wasn't clear to everyone, lots of people were convinced we were taking Claiborne.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    we were taking kalil for sure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post

North Practice Notes: DT Sylvester Williams Dominates

The North squad took the field for practice. I sat in the bleachers behind one of the end zones, so my observations for Tuesday’s action will focus on the drill work and 11-on-11 action that happened right in front of me.

The star of the show for the North team on Tuesday was clearly North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams. He displayed a combination of size, strength and quickness that could make him a dominant player in the NFL.

In a one-on-one drill with Kent State G Brian Winters, Williams used a quick rip move to get past the blocker and find the QB. Then moments later in a drill where the defensive linemen were working against double-teams, Williams split the two players blocking him with ease to make a play.

Williams, who goes by “Sly” instead of Sylvester, measured in at the Senior Bowl a touch over 6-2 and at 313 pounds. He has a solid base and good upper body strength, which allows him to anchor well and also fend off blockers with his arms so he can penetrate the backfield to make a play or force a play the wrong direction so a teammate can make a play.

There were a couple of times when Oregon RB Kenjon Barner was able to dance around Williams in the backfield, but I think you have to give the defense a break there because players don’t tackle to the ground in these practices and because Barner is a great player in his own right.

Another impressive part of Williams’ game is his ability to anticipate snap counts. I’m not sure if this was a strength of his during actual games in college, but during practice on Tuesday he was able to anticipate a few snap counts, which made his already explosive first step even more explosive and his already dominant performance even more impressive.

“Sly” Williams followed up an absolutely dominant day on Tuesday with another excellent day on Wednesday. He was in the backfield frequently disrupting both QBs and RBs.

- Posted by Mike Wobschall @ Vikings.com Blog

What round is he to go in? If he could fall to the 3rd, maybe perfect player to pick.
    I think he was projected as a late 1st, early 2nd round pick so it's a good chance we would have to take him with our 1st Rd pick. Which I would be fine with because he seems to fit in that area.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 4 , Yards: 57 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles24 View Post
    we were taking kalil for sure
    A lot of us were yeah, but this time of year before the draft there were big debates on weather we'd be taking Kalil or Claiborne with quite a few people saying it would be Claiborne since we just needed help at corner so much and there would be other LTs available later in the draft. I didn't think for a second we wouldn't take Kalil but that opinion was not shared by everyone, especially after Spielman did his smoke screen tactic (I forget exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of talking about how special Claiborne was or that LT wasn't a big need or something).

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Uh I had no fricking idea. I was hoping that he was going to take Kalil but all the smoke screens sure made me believe we would take Claiborne at one point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Lol it wasn't clear to everyone, lots of people were convinced we were taking Claiborne.
    Thats true.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    I think he was projected as a late 1st, early 2nd round pick so it's a good chance we would have to take him with our 1st Rd pick. Which I would be fine with because he seems to fit in that area.
    If we're taking a DT at 23 I would hope we could land a guy like Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State), Sheldon Richardson (Missouri), Jonathan Jenkins (Georgia) or Kawann Short (Purdue).

My favorite among them would have to be Richardson because he is a dynamic athlete at DT and has one of the best motors of any player in college football. He possesses an elite first step and is the most disruptive DT in this class which includes some very good prospects.

He has 112 tackles, six sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss in the last two years. This past season, he led all interior defensive linemen in the SEC in tackles (75), adding 10.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks, earning second-team All-SEC honors as one of the lone bright spots on a Missouri team that was often overmatched, though Richardson wasn't, against superior competition. He was truly relentless against top competition like Alabama, which is expected to send all five offensive linemen to the NFL, where he piled up 14 tackles and a sack. He couldn't make many plays going against Kentucky's Larry Warford but to me that's more telling of how good Warford is, being a 1st round prospect at guard.

Richardson is very similar to Henry Melton, and will come at a lot cheaper price too. He's a disruptive defensive tackle that probably won't be asked to anchor the defensive line. His best fit in our defense would probably be as a three-technique who can attack. He has a knack for using his freaky quickness to shoot the gaps and burst into the backfield, but he's equally notable for hustling downfield to hit ballcarriers. "He's the best, as far as guys sideline-to-sideline making plays, that we've had here," his defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski said. By far one of the most athletic defensive tackles that I have come across in the past few years. With a combination of size, the high-revving motor and incredible athleticism for a big man he reminds me of Kevin Williams in his prime actually.

Richardson, who has never met a microphone he didn’t immediately fall in love with, isn't big on comparisons though. "I want to compare myself to myself," he said. "I want to be a Sheldon Richardson type guy. Don't compare me to Ndamukong Suh, because I play nothing like him. I might be as dominant as him, but I play nothing like him. I want guys to be compared to me more than me being compared to other guys." He figures to be one of the top combine performers where he may challenge Warren Sapp’s 4.69 40 time. He would be my choice of any at 23 because he would be a explosive impactful starting player on our interior, not just a solid starter like we have now with an aging Kevin Williams and then Guion/Evans.

Hankins, who more than likely will be gone by the time we pick at 23, is more of a massive tackle ala Pat Williams who takes up a lot of space and blockers at the point of attack. I wouldn't mind taking him either at 23 but I wouldn't want Sly Williams (UNC) there. Maybe at 52 but not at 23. Especially considering there should still be plenty of talent at DT at 52, someone like Sharrif Floyd (Florida), Bennie Logan (LSU), or Jesse Williams (Alabama) even.

I think receiver round 1. Keenan Allen or Cordarrelle Patterson is a good pick at 23. If both are gone and none of the top five DT's are left then they got to look to MLB, Manti Te'o (Notre Dame) or Alec Ogletree (Georgia). Are they there, or taken though? Maybe Kevin Minter (LSU)? Anyone of them three brings three down ability to the Vikings defense and represents a significant upgrade over Jasper Brinkley. If nothing else they can fall back on the interior lineman with it being a atypical year with at least four guards being 1st round talents. Warmack will be long gone but a guy like Larry Warford (Kentucky) could be in play. We got plenty of options. It'll be fun to see where we go but I know they'll be taking a WR in the first two rounds. Is it first or second or both?
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-31-2013 at 12:22 PM.

vCash
    Well then, all the non-******** people knew...make that what you will.

vCash
    On the above post, if Patterson, Allen, Te'o and Ogletree were gone I would take a shot at Kwan Short.

vCash
    On the above post, if Patterson, Allen, Te'o and Ogletree were gone I would take a shot at Kwan Short.
    Over Richardson? Why the kid from Purdue if you don't mind me asking?

vCash
    Crap...I might have been thinking about Richardson when referring to Sylvester.

vCash
    Well then, all the non-******** people knew...make that what you will.
    Lmfao i was gunna say we got people debating whether Donald Driver could be a #1 or 2 receiver, there was obviously going to be a debate on who we would draft last year....But if you knew anything about football you knew the Vikings were going to draft Kalil

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    A lot of us were yeah, but this time of year before the draft there were big debates on weather we'd be taking Kalil or Claiborne with quite a few people saying it would be Claiborne since we just needed help at corner so much and there would be other LTs available later in the draft. I didn't think for a second we wouldn't take Kalil but that opinion was not shared by everyone, especially after Spielman did his smoke screen tactic (I forget exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of talking about how special Claiborne was or that LT wasn't a big need or something).
    Rick said that into's game a CB or WR is more valuable then a LT. That was the smokescreen that had the national media fooled, not me though. Those guys on Espn that were saying a LT isn't a big deals are fools.

The argument of taking a CB because of the talent in our division is a good one, but the same can be made for LT's stopping the games best pass rushers.

Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast