Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't see any way we can avoid drafting a couple WR's early. What would people think about this draft assuming players fell to these spots:

23. WR Keenan Allen
    52. WR Robert Woods
    83. CB Tyrann Mathieu
    99. QB EJ Manuel
    117. S Robert Lester

Sign Melton and Levitre and fantasy is complete. Still leaves big hole at MLB and not sure how we pass on Ogletree if he's there at #23 though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ellesmeire View Post
    The problem with that is unlike last year where we only traded up like 10 picks this time we would need to trade up 30 picks and I don't see how that is likely, maybe a trade up into the 2nd round.
    I also doubt that we would be able to trade back up into the 1st round. I don't even think a 2nd and 3rd round pick would get a deal done. We could try to trade a future pick but I always think that is a terrible idea. Look what happened to Detroit... we got a very early 4th rounder because they assumed they would finish with a similar record as the previous year.

vCash
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading down back into the top of the 2nd Round with a team like ARI that might want to trade back up for a QB like Barkley. I'd want their 2nd, 3rd and 5th to do that though.

vCash
    EJ Manuel? Meh. I doubt they draft a QB. It all depends on who they get in FA.

vCash
    Sign Chase Daniels in FA and I'm with you on Manuel. I'm not sold on Ponder and we need someone pushing him next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Aaron Dobson - WR - Thundering Herd
    Jan 17 - 12:14 PM

He definitely has intriguing size at 6'3 200 pounds and this catch is nuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0

NFP's Full Scouting Report
    STRENGTHS - Aaron Dobson is a tall, long-armed wide receiver who has consistently shown the ability to make incredible adjustments to the ball while it is in the air. He has a knack for making really tough catches look easy. He does a great job of going to get the ball and not letting it get into his body. Dobson has great hands and high points the football on a regular basis. He has not been helped by the quarterback play at Marshall, but he has been productive in college. Dobson does a great job of fighting through the press at the LOS. He has excellent footwork and the ability to stop on a dime to sit into an open area. Dobson lines up almost every play on the left side of the field. He has quick feet and displays awareness on how to get open. Dobson has great balance, hands and body control as evidenced by "the catch" against ECU.

WEAKNESSES - The production hasn't been there as a senior as he has only scored twice at the midway point after scoring 12 TD as a junior. He had a bad fumble against Tulsa which cost his team a touchdown. Dobson does not look like a quick player who will beat corners over a short area as he relies on his pure speed and not foot quickness. That's not to say he has slow feet, he just needs a stride or two to get fully up to speed. It is concerning that he only plays the "X" receiver, only on the left side of the field. For a big player, Dobson doesn't stick to blocks all that well and while willing, it is something that needs to be improved.

SUMMARY - Dobson has tremendous hand size and arm length to go with prototype size for the position at the NFL level. He is an exceptional athlete who displays outstanding speed, body control and balance. He is a legitimate vertical threat on every snap of the ball. He has rare hands and makes extremely difficult catches look easy, and he extends his long arms and plucks the ball away from his frame consistently. He has great reach and uses his body to shield defenders away from the ball. He is going to be a big red zone threat in the NFL. He has elite ability to track, locate and adjust to the ball in the air, especially down the field and in the end zone. He has great hand/eye coordination and does a masterful job of adjusting to poorly thrown balls. He can win against all types of coverage. Dobson won't explode off of the ball, but he does run crisp routes with the football IQ to quickly break off a route and sit into an open area. He has the strength and toughness to generate a lot of RAC yardage. He is not a consistent blocker in the running game, but he is willing and could benefit from NFL coaching in this area. Overall, he deserves second-round consideration because of his physical tools, red zone skills and ability to stretch the field. He looks a lot like a poor man's version of A.J. Green coming out of Georgia except that he lacks Green's explosiveness and top end play-making speed. He is a legitimate No. 1 WR prospect for the NFL level.
    Great hands and can make "incredible adjustments" to the ball while it is in the air with balance and body control but not a short area quick guy - more of a strider speed guy but still a vertical threat he just needs a stride or two to get fully up to speed.

Kind of sounds like a Sidney Rice to me.

I miss Rice. I've been wanting a replacement for his go up and get it ability and sideline insane grabs ever sense he left. We need a big guy with some size that can be a go-to target and a possession receiver for Ponder. Think like what Brandon Marshall is to Jay Cutler. I don't think signing Dwayne Bowe is feasible because of the money so why not get a guy with obvious talent in the later, or mid rounds of the draft, who will then be making less than $1 million for the next couple years. If he pans out, then we pay him if not at the worst he'll be a good redzone threat and a better 4th or 5th wideout than what we have. At the best he could blossom into a #1 receiver for us, or #2 depending on if Harvin stays or who else we sign/draft.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-20-2013 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Tubby View Post
    I don't see any way we can avoid drafting a couple WR's early. What would people think about this draft assuming players fell to these spots:

23. WR Keenan Allen
    52. WR Robert Woods
    83. CB Tyrann Mathieu
    99. QB EJ Manuel
    117. S Robert Lester

Sign Melton and Levitre and fantasy is complete. Still leaves big hole at MLB and not sure how we pass on Ogletree if he's there at #23 though.
    The problem with going WR, WR is we don't get much help at other positions. I don't think signing both Melton and Levitre is going to happen and I don't think the Vikings will double down on receiver in the start of the draft like that. Not saying Allen and Woods would be bad, I like them both, but I would think if we took Allen they would focus somewhere else in the 2nd. Then again, Woods just might be BPA at that point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Tubby View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading down back into the top of the 2nd Round with a team like ARI that might want to trade back up for a QB like Barkley. I'd want their 2nd, 3rd and 5th to do that though.
    I would honestly just do it for their 2nd and 3rd. Considering that the talent level between the 23rd pick and the top of the 2nd round is no different I would have no problem trading down. However, if Cordarelle Patterson or Ogletree are staring down our throats at 23 I think we probably keep the pick.

vCash
    I wouldn't think it odd at all if the Vikings went WR with there first 2 picks. It seems likely considering Speilman will be looking to give Ponder weapons since his job basically depends on Ponder. I think Woods would be a steal in the 2nd, he runs great routes and that's always underestimated by fans. He also has great hands. I would be happy with Cobi Hamilton or Woods in the 2nd.

To me the 1st round pick has to be Hunter. I don't think he's a reach at all in the 1st, in fact I'd consider him a steal as I still have Hunter rated slightly higher than Patterson. Hunter is really good at going up for the ball, he has seriously underestimated deep speed. I don't like the Marshall guy much, he catches with is body to often and he was outshined by a younger WR on his team this year.

Allen and Patterson would both be good west coast WR's because of the damage they can do in YAC, but I think Hunter will be a huge asset on deep PA passes. I think Hunter has the potential to be in that elite C. Johnson level of WR. He is so big and fast, he has an insane vertical. These are traits you can't coach and even the best coverage has trouble defending.

vCash
    The more I see these 2 teams in the Superbowl I think that maybe we should go all in and get a STUD at MLB...A game changer.

vCash
    ^Hence Te'o

It's between him and Patterson who I want at 23. It'll depend on if we sign someone like Jennings or not but I think we're sitting good and won't need to trade up anymore. If we sign Jennings and draft a defensive player like Te'o in the first round I think we bring in two huge additions on both sides of the ball and that's exactly what they need to do. Both guys will make big impacts on the team next year. The offense will be better with Jennings and the defense will be stouter with Te'o in the middle replacing Brinkley. Resign Henderson and Sanford because they played okay and are still fairly young. Bring back Kevin Williams and role with Guion/Evans tandem at the other DT spot for one more year because with the addition of Te'o the run defense should be improved to more of what we are use to seeing.

Then I think just keep improving at all the positions from there, corner and whatnot can always use upgrades/depth. Plus they should draft another receiver or two even if they sign Jennings. Remember receiver needs to be a priority. Jennings is 29 and Harvin might not be around much longer so we need to add more than just one. We need at least a couple quality guys in case either goes down now too. If we get Te'o in the 1st, then either Robert Woods, Terrance Williams, Justin Hunter, DeAndre Hopkins or Cobi Hamilton in like the 2nd sounds good to me. Then someone like Aaron Dobson in the middle/latter rounds is a good bet. I'de still like to draft Dobson with one of our 4th's or our 5th. Dobson has the talent and prototype size for the position, he reminds me a lot of Sidney Rice with his play but he only had one 100-yard receiving game this season. He's a bit of a project but for a later round pick, 4-6 it cannot hurt to add a player like him. By doing this and drafting two more receiver on top of signing Jennings we cover ourselves in case we cannot or decide not to re-sign/extend Harvin.

Add to that already impressive offseason a corner in rounds 3 or 4 and we'll be set up again for another run at the playoffs.

I like Micah Hyde because I believe he can become a quality starting cornerback as he's the over-achieving type of player who's discipline, effort and hustle really stand out on tape. He may not be the fastest or the most productive but he does have good size for the position, 6'2", and he just makes plays on the field and finds ways to have an impact. He offers excellent versatility to our defense and can contribute on special teams as well. He's had good college production as a three year starter at Iowa, who likes to use zone coverages a lot. Hyde was named the Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year after recording 78 tackles, 44 solo tackles, 14 pass breakups and one interception. He also had two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and he returned one of those recoveries for a touchdown against Purdue.

"Micah has done a tremendous job for our team both on and off the field the past four years," Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. "Not only has Michah been a great starter at cornerback for us the last three years, he also has been a valuable contributor on special teams as a gunner and punt returner.

Another name I wouldn't mind seeing us draft in the mid/latter rounds is David Amerson. He came into this year surrounded in hype but he underachieved (Amerson finished the season with 61 tackles and five interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown) when compared to last year when he set a school and ACC record as a sophomore with 13 interceptions. Before you get too caught up with that tape let's bring him back down to earth, he's not a top level cornerback. There's a reason he isn't considered a 1st round prospect. His lack of top end speed will hinder his ability to stay with fast receivers on deep routes and keep him from catching up if he allows separation. He simply doesn't show that catch up burst that premier cornerbacks have. If he does not improve his footwork/technique he will not be as productive in the NFL as he has been in college where he got bye relying on athleticism alone against lesser competition. In the NFL he'll be facing the best of the best continually week in and week out and I don't think he'll win as many of those matchups as he has in college. Example; was him being burned by a better talent WR Cordarrelle Patterson week 1.

That's not to say there isn't a place for him on the Vikings however. With excellent height for the position (6'3") and long arms, Amerson is a tall cornerback that every NFL team is looking for now-a-days to matchup against the taller receivers teams have such as Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall. He can be moved around within the defense to help them deal with the different match-ups that opposing offenses try to put them in. He also has experience aligning off the receiver in "off" and "zone" coverage, which we predominantly run. He can plant, drive and close quickly from off alignment, and is often able to get to receivers in time to either make a play on the ball with his long arms giving him the ability to reach in front of receiver to break up the catch. If he finds himself in the right position he's got natural hands, and the kind of ball skills and jumping ability that allow Amerson to high point and intercept passes with ease. This should not be overlooked, the Vikings need to continue to add players who can actually catch the balls they get their hands on because for far too long we've been dropping them. He reminds me of Seattle Seahawk Brandon Browner. I believe he can become a cornerback who offers excellent versatility to our defense, he may not start but he would contribute. He's an experienced special teams player being on the UNC coverage units. He will contribute on teams while developing as a cornerback. Teams could also consider moving him to a safety due to his size and relative lack of top notch speed for the cornerback position.

If we cannot get either of them then a well known name, Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington is another option I like. All three of these guys are going to be quality secondary players at the next level I believe and I think with solid secondary coaching from Alan Williams any of them would have a impact to ensure the Tampa 2 is alive and well in Minnesota.

RECAP

Sign Free Agent Greg Jennings - Helps to immediately fix the major need at WR with a legit No. 1 go-to possession receiver who can also be a deep threat from time to time. Give Ponder someone to go to other than Harvin and gives defenses one more threat to have to worry about. Re-sign Kevin Williams, Jerome Felton, Jamarca Sanford, E.J. Henderson, and Phillip Loadholt as well. Let Jasper Brinkley, Jerome Simpson, AJ Jefferson, Geoff Scwhartz, Marcus Sherels, and Devin Aromashodu walk.

1st Round - 23rd Pick: Manti Te'o - Replaces Brinkley who is let go at MLB. Immediate impactful starter, better in coverage than Brinkley and a sure tackler, stout against the run. He'll battle Greenway for the next 10 years as team leader in tackles and will develop into a team leader on the field, similar to Ray Lewis in play, size, and leadership role.

2nd Round - 52nd Pick: Robert Woods - While I'de much rather see Hunter or Hopkins we do have a pretty late second round pick and I think there will be a lot of second round receivers taken ahead of us. Woods is still very talented. A well-developed route runner he is quick in and out of his breaks though he may lack pure game changing speed. He may not be a scoring threat on any play but he served as Matt Barkley's most trusted option on "money" downs. His hands are reliable and he does a good job after the catch picking up additional yards making him fit the possession receiver role. He put up a total 1,292 yards on 111 receptions with 15 touchdowns last year. Woods has proven himself over his three seasons at USC scoring 32 touchdowns with 252 career catches for 2,930 yards. He'll make for a fine No. 2 target in the NFL.

3rd Round - 83rd Pick: David Amerson, CB/S, NCSTATE -
    He has a special skill set with size and ball skills. His innate natural ballhawking skills are not seen very often in secondary defenders. When the ball is in the air, Amerson is extremely aggressive to go get it. His size and knack for interceptions plus his lack of true corner speed should allow for him to make the move to safety. I think his size though as a cornerback is too enticing and teams would want to keep him at CB, even if he's just a situational player and not a starter. Whatever spot they put him in I think he has a nice impact for a 3rd round pick, if he even falls this far.

4th Round - 99th Pick - Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa -

4th Round - 117th Pick - Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall -
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.

vCash
    I like Micah Hyde in the 4th but prefer Jamar taylor out of Boise if he's available. I don't see any scenario where Manti Te'o drops to #23 with the Bills, Chargers, Bears, and Steelers picking ahead of us.
    Minnesota Vikings

vCash
    Wouldn't it be funny if that douchebag Te'o fell out of the first? I doubt he will, but I'd laugh.

vCash
    Honestly I'd rather draft Ogletree then Te'o. He is better in coverage, faster, and probably a better tackler. This season was the first Te'o ever really showed any potential in coverage. But I really don't want a LB in the first.
    Resign-Phil, Felton, Brinkley, Henderson, Sanford
    Cut-Carlson and C. Johnson-saves a little over 5M

1. Hunter-I think he is faster than 4.5, after he runs at the combine we will be lucky to get him at 23.
    2. R Woods-he played this year with a bad ankle, he is a Maclin/DJackson type steal here. Had a 255 yd game and a 177yd game as a freshman. Very explosive, very fast out of his breaks.
    3. T. Mathiu-Winfields successor
    4. Larry Warford G-He is 6'3 340 and is more athletic then you think. He should down Richardson, one of the best DT's in this years class
    5. OLB Khaseem Greene-A converted S he plays very well against the pass, we'd have him and Greenway in nickel.
    6. G Blaize Foltz-a really good run blocker
    7. Montori Hughes DT- 6-4 327, has shown the ability to beat double teams

In this plan we can be quiet in the FA market. My plan puts an emphasis on the run game. Cutting Carlson would allow Ellison more play time, who graded out as a better blocker then Felton. I have 2 new starters for G this would bump up the run game and shouldn't lose anything in the pass. I believe AD's goal at 2500 is achievable considering he wasn't used as much early on.

Drafting 2 young WR's is a cheap solution and allows us the money to extend Harvin.

I've said I could live with the front 7 staying the same. Both Brinkley and Henderson should be retained, they will come cheap and we don't have good backups outside of Cole so they can at least give us depth. Last year Erin sat and sat and nobody wanted him, the same would happen to Brinkley. With so many teams playing a 3-4 4-3 OLB just are not going to be expensive.

Greene could help the LBs big time in coverage.

vCash
    When is Te'o a douchebag? Seriously can we not get spiteful?
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast