Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coenthar View Post
    Ok so who is the BEST WR in this draft,,,I dont follow it much but who is it...Its apparent now Harvin is not going anywhere..good,,,now we need our true No 1 WR and we are set for Ponders weapons. We need to get atleat one stud at the Guard position and then our Offense is good to go but I am thinking maybe going back to WR as my 1st rnd pick and maybe trading up to get one of the best if needs be but who would that be.
    I think the best overall receiver right now is Keenan Allen but guys like Cordarrelle Patterson or Justin Hunter have more raw upside. Allen is probably the safest pick but there seem to be a lot of guys who could be boom or bust picks.
    The problem with this is nobody knows. Keenan Allen is perceived as the best but honestly I believe he's a bit overhyped and really no more talented than any of the handful of other guys that are projected 1st-2nd round picks. I'de rather not reach on Allen in round 1 just because it's a huge need when we can get a comparable talent in round 2 and instead in round 1 take a very good O-lineman or defender (LB,DT,CB,S). There will still be a handful of very talented guys at 23 and why pass them up just because Allen's name is recognized as the top guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LT.CARDWISIE View Post
    I'm telling you guys we need to draft Cordarrelle Patterson he's a wide reciever from Tennessee. I'm calling it now he will be the most productive wide out from this draft.
    I think he's going to shoot up draft boards before this is said and done. 1st round no problem he may even go Top 20. I won't say he'll become the most productive because that's all based off where he goes, how good that team is, it's QB, etc but he may just wind up being the best one of all to come out in this class.

vCash
    Guard is our best shot in the first. Warmack would be great, but I can't see the dude dropping to 23. Johnathan Cooper is a great prospect and is ranked as the second best guard and is a mid first round prospect. IF Warmack is not there, Cooper would be our best option. It is going to be easy to get a great DT or WR in the second but what about MLB?
    We may have to trade up again in the second a little higher to get the best MLB available because there are really only three good MLB's in this years draft. A lot of WR's and DT's so we may have to wait till the third. I hope they don't put off Guard till late, Guard is so very important to Ponders progression.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    So unless I'm mistaken we have the;

1st Round - 23rd Pick
    2nd Round - 52nd Pick
    3rd Round - 83rd Pick
    4th Round - 99th Pick
    4th Round - 117th Pick

I like how we trade raped the Lions last year to pick up that very early 4th round pick this year, that'll come in really handy I believe. Either we keep it and take a guy who's fallen from day 1 to day 2 in the draft. We've done this each year now to pretty good success. Last year it was Jarius Wright, the year before Christian Ballard, and the year before that Everson Griffen who's really becoming one of our better pass rushers.

Personally though I'de rather see them make a move up the draft to snag one of those elite prospects. Rick Spielman last year showed he likes to be amongst those wheelers and dealers come draft day. He was able to get three additional picks from the Cleveland Browns and still get the player the Vikings wanted -- left tackle Matt Kalil. The acquisition of a fourth-, fifth- and seventh-round pick gave them even more flexibility in the draft. As the round developed, the Vikings were able to move back into the first round in a deal with the Baltimore Ravens to get safety Harrison Smith and we all know how that payed off this year.

I think Spielman will be busy moving us again on draft day. Hopefully it's up a little bit to grab a player like Te'o or Warmack.

vCash
    I don't know what to think if we end up with Kennan Allen. I've got mixed feelings on him. While I recognize the talent is there I just think he's a bit undersized and overall kind of overhyped. I don't feel he's all that great a fit for the team because just like Greg Jennings makes most his plays out of the slot as does Harvin, Allen lines up often in the slot. Plus I hate taking first round receivers because I feel you can get similar value and production from 2nd or even 3rd round receivers more often than not but a lot of the real elite receivers in the NFL did come from the 1st round so if we take Allen hopefully he is the next. He's got the potential to be.

As an athlete, Allen definitely passes the test. As one of the most dangerous receivers in the country after the catch. His athleticism is evident, but it's his ability to make people miss and run through tackles that is particularly impressive. He is smooth and explosive in and out of his cuts, displays an outstanding catch radius, shows great body control and can be counted on to make a tough catch. He has enough straight line speed to be a No. 1 wide receiver in the NFL, he is plenty fast.

But then there is the major negatives, which is partly why I personally don't like him. First him being undersized means he'll likely struggle with injuries throughout his career. It's no secret that health is also going to play a role in Allen's draft stock. Then even when he's healthy and on the field he's not a consistent enough hands catcher at this point. The numbers might look to say otherwise; He finished 2012 with 61 catches for just 737 yards and 7 TD's (1 rushing) but he missed the final three games of the season with a knee injury and played a lot better than his stats indicate.

I'm not one to make excuses for players too often but while the draft's other top wide receivers were catching passes from Geno Smith, Tahj Boyd, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Bray Allen was running routes for Zach Maynard, stifling his production. It's safe to say he got the short end of the quarterback stick.

So while he hasn't had the best QB play at Cal he still has managed to put up quite the numbers. No they are not shockingly great like a Crabtree or Blackmon but just watch his tape, watch him play actually, and you can tell he's a special player. Last season, when he was healthy all year, Allen caught 98 passes for 1,343 yards and six scores showing just how much of a playmaker he can be. There is no doubt he was a phenomenal college football player, but we all know that rarely translates to NFL success despite it giving him a high draft standing.

I'de rather pass on Keenan Allen at 23 and take a receiver with some size who is still as physically gifted with speed and athletic ability. Guys like Cordarrelle Patterson -Tennessee, DeAndre Hopkins -Clemson, Terrance Williams -Baylor, Justin Hunter -Tennessee, Robert Woods -USC, Cobi Hamilton -Arkansas, and Da'Rick Rogers -Tennessee Tech. To me almost everyone of those guys has a chance to be as good as if not better than Allen and won't likely cost as high as the 23rd pick.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-09-2013 at 09:47 AM.

vCash
    Well so much for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post

RT/OG

The Vikings might consider letting giant Phil Loadholt walk and I wouldn't blame them or even blink for a second if they do. The four-year veteran led the Vikings in penalties with 11 and has struggled in that department for as long as I can remember watching him play. It's not a matter of if it continues to happen anymore but when it happens, and the Vikings should plan to replace him if they want consistency on the field next season.

An excellent choice would be Jake Matthews, son of Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, who has the makings and the bloodlines of a standout offensive lineman with NFL caliber. The NFL loves bloodlines and you can't do any better than the Matthews, a football family through and through. Pretty much all of them are, have been, or will become great NFL players. Bruce Matthews, played as an offensive lineman for 19 years in the National Football League for the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans franchise after being drafted out of USC in 1983. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007 and considered one of the greatest offensive linemen in NFL history, playing in an NFL-record 14 consecutive Pro Bowls. His Brother, Clay Matthews, Jr., the father to the already great Packer's OLB Clay Matthews III, played the third most games in NFL history (278) over 19 seasons as a linebacker for the Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons while earning 4 Pro Bowl selections. Both brothers were sons of Clay Matthews, Sr., whom played 4 seasons in the NFL for the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s. Clay Matthews, Jr. other son Casey Matthews was drafted and plays linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles, following a prosperous collegiate run with the University of Oregon Ducks. Bruce Matthews son's too have made it in the NFL. Kevin is a center for the Tennessee Titans, while Jake of course has started the past two seasons at offensive tackle for the Texas A&M Aggies, and Mike an offensive lineman currently playing football for Texas A&M as well.

While Jake has been closely scrutinized by NFL scouts due in part to his family's rich history of success in the NFL it's his play on the football field that ultimately has him a likely high round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. As a freshman he got his chance to play when an injury thrust him into the starting lineup. The Aggies were struggling to protect their quarterback but once Matthews was put in their sacks per game went down dramatically. He played very well and with the help of his teammates, Texas A&M allowed just 14 sacks in their final seven games, a 180 degree turnaround from the previous six games, where they surrendered 23 sacks. For his efforts he earned Honorable Mention All-Big 12 and was named to the ESPN All Big 12 freshman team. He again was solid in protecting Ryan Tannehill [1st round (8th overall) Miami Dolphins draft last year] producing an excellent sophomore season in 2011. A reliable pass protector for Tannehill, in his first season as starter it wasn't until his Junior year in 2012 when Matthews, starting again at right tackle, showed how great of a player he is.

Many scouts wanted to see just how well Matthews would play against SEC competition when Texas A&M made the move from the Big-12 to the SEC this year. Scouts looked for him to remain consistent against a tougher slate of pass-rushers and continue to assert his dominance facing off against challenging defenses such as LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Florida. Those SEC battles would have a big impact on Matthews' draft status if he wanted to remain a likely high draft pick. Matthews didn't disappoint. Helping clear the way for an offense that led the SEC in rushing, passing, scoring and total offense and gained 400 or more yards in the final 11 games of the 2012 regular season he cemented his spot as a mid first round pick. For an offensive lineman with the name "Matthews" on the back of the jersey he has had a lot to live up to, but through three seasons of college football Jake Matthews has been as good as expected and proved that he was worthy of the hype. There is a lot to like about Matthews.

Matthews has the total physical package that teams look for in starting offensive lineman. The 6'5'', 305-pound junior is one of the more athletic offensive lineman in the country. In fact the first things that jumps out about Matthews is not his strength but his quickness and athleticism. Unlike many right tackles, Matthews has light feet and a nice burst out of his stance. It's this mobility for such a big guy that often let's him get to the second level of a defense. A natural football player, he is a very intelligent blocker in regards to his run-blocking. He can sustain blocks without holding and

While already excellent in run blocking, Matthews does has room for improvement in his pass blocking skills but even though he's further along in the run department than in pass protection right now he has plenty of upside to be a lock-down pass-protector in the NFL and is still regarded as ready for the NFL in both areas. With the quality footwork, technique and athleticism he holds his own in pass protection possessing the ability to shuffle and mirror pass-rushers before they gain leverage around the edge. Watching Matthews, it is clear that he has great instincts and is very quick in his drops and has well-developed technique.

Loadholt meanwhile is far too often slow off the snap and allows faster rushers to get the advantage on him. For a player that's been in the NFL for so long he also lacks the solid technique and footwork to make up for these mishaps despite four years of coaching. All the problems that Loadholt tends to struggle with are some of Matthews strengths to his game. Not only would Matthews intelligent play cut down on the costly penalties but he is more of a natural edge-protector and won't get beat as much in the pass rush but if he does he's far more athletic with the quickness to make up for it. I also don't think the Vikings would be missing out on any physical run-blocking ability by moving on from the giant 6'8" Phil Loadholt because Matthews has good size for the position as well. Matthews is as solid a run blocker as Loadholt was coming out and he has plenty of room to gain more strength as he matures and can continue to get better in pass protection too. Overall Matthews looks like he has the skill set with the length, technique and athleticism to play right away in the NFL and yet he is still developing and should continue to get better and stronger at his craft and should only improve with more experience.

NFL teams looking for a tackle would find Matthews a desirable prospect if he enters the draft early. With the potential to be a standout starter in the NFL early in his pro career, especially considering those blood lines, Matthews shouldn't have to wait too long to hear his named called whenever he decides to enter the draft. Currently, Matthews has a good chance of being a Top 15 pick this year, so I would imagine he would enter, but considering most skilled right tackles are selected later in the first round he may err on the side of caution and consider staying one more year in college. The Aggies have a very good left tackle in junior Luke Joeckel, the best in the nation actually, and if not for him Matthews would probably be a left tackle if he played at almost any other school in the nation. If Joeckel leaves and Matthews stayed at Texas A&M for another year he might get a chance to play LT for one year in hopes of being selected higher in the 2014 draft class.

However, he's already shown to be perfectly suited to remain at his position of RT and be a dominant player so why make the move? Whenever he should elect to make himself eligible to the NFL Matthews will undoubtedly be a sought after prospect among many teams. If he does enter and stays at right tackle it's far more likely he would fall out of the Top 15 and within range of where the Vikings are selecting. If he does this then the Vikings should pounce as he would be a perfect selection in the first round.

With Matt Kalil already entrenched at left tackle the Vikings could plug Jake in right away at right tackle and have book end tackles for the next decade protecting Ponder and opening up outside lanes for Peterson. The front five is very important to a team that's built to run the ball and both Kalil and Matthews have the athleticism for such big men to get to that second level and sustain blocks down field that would help spring Peterson loose for those long touchdown runs. He would be a safe pick and a reliable starter for a long time.

Plus just how awesome would it be to see Jake Matthews going up against his cousin Clay Matthews twice a year and how many times has he, Clay, beat Loadholt over the years? I can't even count that high. Besides that would just be an awesome battle, cousin vs cousin. Has anything like this even happened before, besides brother's Ronde and Tiki Barber maybe?

Other lineman I wouldn't mind drafting include;
    Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
    Barrett Jones, OG/OT, Alabama
    D.J. Fluker, OT/G, Alabama.

Yeah, Alabama has some good lineman.
    Reports are like I thought that he'll maybe be returning to Texas A&M to play LT. Matthew’s decision to return to the Aggies is that he wants to put together a full season of tape a left tackle. Instead of being a Top 20 draft pick this year if Matthews can make the move from RT to LT and still dominate he's no doubt a top five selection in the 2014 NFL Draft if not the No. 1 overall pick.

Well so much for him coming to the Vikings... Would've been awesome.

vCash
    So unless I'm mistaken we have the;

1st Round - 23rd Pick
    2nd Round - 52nd Pick
    3rd Round - 83rd Pick
    4th Round - 99th Pick
    4th Round - 117th Pick

I like how we trade raped the Lions last year to pick up that very early 4th round pick this year, that'll come in really handy I believe. Either we keep it and take a guy who's fallen from day 1 to day 2 in the draft. We've done this each year now to pretty good success. Last year it was Jarius Wright, the year before Christian Ballard, and the year before that Everson Griffen who's really becoming one of our better pass rushers.

Personally though I'de rather see them make a move up the draft to snag one of those elite prospects. Rick Spielman last year showed he likes to be amongst those wheelers and dealers come draft day. He was able to get three additional picks from the Cleveland Browns and still get the player the Vikings wanted -- left tackle Matt Kalil. The acquisition of a fourth-, fifth- and seventh-round pick gave them even more flexibility in the draft. As the round developed, the Vikings were able to move back into the first round in a deal with the Baltimore Ravens to get safety Harrison Smith and we all know how that payed off this year.

I think Spielman will be busy moving us again on draft day. Hopefully it's up a little bit to grab a player like Te'o or Warmack.
    The 4th Rd is a good chance to take a shot on some guys who have risks but potential. The past few years we've taken a chance on a few guys:
    Greg Childs: Bum knees...great talent and had he been healthy he would have likely been a 1st Rounder.
    Christian Ballard: Failed drug test...saw him mostly graded out in the 2nd round.
    Everson Griffen: Off-field...not sure what specifically he had but I know he had some off-field stuff. He was also regarded as a 1st Rd talent. At first he got himself into some trouble but it seems he took a big step this year.

So look for us to take a shot at a guy with some "issues" in the 4th again.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 4 , Yards: 57 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    The 4th Rd is a good chance to take a shot on some guys who have risks but potential. The past few years we've taken a chance on a few guys:
    Greg Childs: Bum knees...great talent and had he been healthy he would have likely been a 1st Rounder.
    Christian Ballard: Failed drug test...saw him mostly graded out in the 2nd round.
    Everson Griffen: Off-field...not sure what specifically he had but I know he had some off-field stuff. He was also regarded as a 1st Rd talent. At first he got himself into some trouble but it seems he took a big step this year.

So look for us to take a shot at a guy with some "issues" in the 4th again.
    Wow if we see it like that we could be picking tyrann Mathieu in the 4th round which would be pretty cool

vCash
    I'd be shocked if Spielman linked himself to Tyrann Mathieu.

vCash
    What position is Mathieu anyways...CB? Well he could be a possibility...he got in trouble for pot wasn't it?

vCash
    I say we dont draft a wr till the 3rd rd. With 1st pick we draft DT. 2nd pick we draft The best available lb.

vCash
    Well been working on a Vikings Mock, first three rounds. It's quite a doozy though, very lengthy. Good read though. Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I didn't see any Mock Draft threads so here goes...

Round 1 - 23rd overall: Viking's GM Rick Spielman pretty much nailed the 2012 NFL Draft and if we're to learn anything about his thought process for how he's to approach the 2013 NFL Draft here's one thing for certain to keep in mind about Spielman -- he loves to be a part of the action come draft day.

Last year he showed us just how much he likes to be amongst those wheelers and dealers making trades to move up or down and acquire additional picks, or ammo, to get the players he wants. This worked to great success last year when he was able to get three additional picks from the Cleveland Browns and still get the player the Vikings wanted -- left tackle Matt Kalil. The acquisition of a fourth-, fifth- and seventh-round pick gave them even more flexibility in the draft and as the round developed, the Vikings were able to then move back into the first round in a deal with the Baltimore Ravens to get safety Harrison Smith and we all know how that one payed off this season. He wasn't done though. He then traded with Detroit giving up a 5th round pick and getting in return their 2013 4th round pick (99th overall) so he would have ammunition for this year's draft to wheel and deal.

So I'm inclined to believe that's exactly what he plans to do. It's not that costly to trade up in the first round now, the rookie pay scale makes teams more willing to trade on draft day and for what seems like less. Jacksonville last year used this to their advantage to move up and get the draft's top WR in Justin Blackmon simply by swapping first round picks with Tampa Bay and gave up a 4th round pick (101st overall) to move up from #7 to #5 in order to select Blackmon. If swapping two spots in the top 10 costs only a 4th round pick then swapping a few more spots later in the round shouldn't be too costly for the Vikings. Moving from 23rd to about the 16-20 range and giving up their 4th round (99th overall) pick they acquired from the Lions should get the job done.

Without focusing on who would take the trade let's move on to who the Vikings would select finally. I think they would grab a player like Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame that may see himself falling a bit in the draft. A Top 15 talent for sure but the last time we saw him he didn't look that great. Te'o was brutal in the national championship game but that shouldn't erase all of his other great tape this season or diminish the kind of talent that he is. Teams know what they saw in 2011, 2012, and throughout his college career and are sure that they will see it again. The Vikings need a player like Te'o in the worst way and the 16-25 range seems right for him at this point.

If the Vikings are smart and Te'o starts to fall a little bit they'll jump up to snag one of the drafts most talented prospects. A Top 15 talent is usually a immediate impactful player even as a rookie. The further down you go the less likely you'll find immediate impacts instead you get into the more developmental prospects. I'de rather go get a guy who's a safer pick to pan out to his potential and one that can come in right away and make a difference then to be content by sitting still at 23 and taking whoever comes to us. Not that you cannot find a impactful player at 23 but use your assets to go get the guy you want! That's exactly what I predict Spielman to do.

If there is another thing we know about Spielman it's that he loves his Notre Dame players. He now has five Notre Damers on the roster, including last year's first round pick in safety Harrison Smith, fifth round pick (139th overall) Robert Blanton, along with tight end Kyle Rudolph taken in the 2nd round (43rd overall) in 2011, center John Sullivan taken in the 6th round (187th overall) in 2008, and TE John Carlson whom he made a priority to get in free agency this past offseason when he signed him to a five-year, $25 million contract. Apparently he sees something he likes in what Notre Dame instills in players because for the most part he's had pretty great success taking these golden domers. I see no reason why he won't continue.

The Vikings recent playoff loss at Lambeau showed how they could do much better than Jasper Brinkley at one of the most key positions on their defense. While the fourth-year player selected by the Vikings in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft (150th overall) was given the chance to take the job of incumbent E.J. Henderson and performed admirably in his first full starting season he does however have his limitations. A thumper in the run game most the time he leaves much to be desired in other areas of play such as coverage.

He didn't play horrible all season though but he's never going to be more than a serviceable player. Why not go get someone who can do more than just the things asked of him? A playmaker and a difference maker in the middle of your defense! It would pay huge dividends for their defense overall, as MLB is one of the most key positions in the scheme the Vikings run. Look at players like Brian Urlacher in their prime for example, how important he's been to that Bears defense for so long in a very similar defensive system. Ray Lewis is another one who's been getting a lot of attention recently in the playoffs. A prime example of the kind of impact and importance of the position.

The Vikings need that pillar in the middle, who can dominate against not just the run but also the pass. Manti Te'o has that kind of skills set. A tackling machine for the Fighting Irish, Te'o has really improved his pass coverage skills in 2012, which helps his stock as a three-down linebacker prospect for the NFL. He is fast enough to play the middle in a 4-3 defense but skilled enough to play in any scheme inside or out making him a good prospect for a team that could be replacing MLB Jasper Brinkley and OLB Erin Henderson.

As just a sophomore in 2010, Te'o made 133 tackles then followed that season up with another solid 128 tackles, 13.5 being for a loss and five sacks in 2011. He led Notre Dame in sacks and tackles that season. This season his leadership and defensive play helped lead the Fighting Irish to a undefeated record and the No. 1 team in the country, until they ultimately lost in the National Championship game to Alabama. Put simply, Manti Te'o was one of the best players on one of the best teams in the nation.

Te'o has NFL size (6-2, 255) and speed to adapt quickly to become a playmaking presence in his first season in the NFL with the leadership qualities to become a team leader on whichever team is lucky enough to draft him. Luke Kuechly is the most recent example of a player this highly touted coming out. Last year, Kuechly was thought of very highly for always being around the ball and his tackling ways at Boston College but many said he wouldn't get selected in the top 10 of the draft because of his position not being worth that high of a selection. Well everybody had the Carolina Panthers, who were picking 9th overall, taking a DT but they instead correctly took the best defensive player on the board and he proceeded to lead the NFL in tackles with 164 in his rookie season. Te'o has the ability to make that kind of a impact right away in the NFL making him what I consider a can't miss prospect for the Vikings who are only getting worse every year in run defense and have always struggled to cover with their linebackers.

Te'o will continue to make a ton of tackles in run defense but also can play solid against the pass in zone coverage. Something the Vikings really lack currently with Brinkley manning the position. If the Vikings want him they may need to trade up a few picks in order to assure they get him but if the Vikings can manage to upgrade the MLB position with a player like Te'o they should do everything in their power to try.

Selection: Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame

Alternate: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

Alabama's Chance Warmack is one of the top overall prospects in this draft and another player worthy of trading up for. Warmack has the potential to quickly become the best guard in the NFL in a few short years. That kind of upside is rare, it's special and while guards seldom have a chance to go in the top 15, he however has a shot because he's a special talent. Elite interior lineman, guards and centers, have no problem going in the Top 20 range of the first round. Last year the Steelers took top guard David DeCastro of Stanford 24th overall. The year before that the Dolphins took Mike Pouncey of Florida 15th overall. The year before that the 49er's took Mike Iupati of Idaho 17th overall. This year Chance Warmack should have no problem going in that range.

It’s not very often though that we see a true offensive guard as highly-regarded by scouts. A wide-bodied, powerful blocker who generates a push in the running game but also shows surprising athleticism, Warmack can anchor at the point of attack in pass protection but is at his best clearing holes in the run game. This wouldn’t be a sexy choice for a team that needs receiver help but Warmack would step directly into the starting lineup and stay there for the next decade. Plus I just don't think you can go wrong selecting first round lineman when you're going to be based around Peterson and running the ball for a long time to come. They should build the team to suit their strengths rather than reach for their needs.

Round 2 - 52nd overall:

If you were surprised to see the Vikings not take a receiver in the first round don't be. While it's easy to point out the teams biggest need and have them take the top rated player at the position, hence everybody has us mocked to pick a WR, it's unlikely that Spielman would reach on any of the overrated 1st round receivers when there is plenty of comparable talents to be had in the second round. While I'm not okay with giving up on Ponder until we give him a true #1 WR, I'm way not okay with reaching and taking a WR at 23 just because it's our top priority. I don't feel Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter are anything special when compared to guys like DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson or Cordarrelle Patterson of Tennessee -- both players who I feel have gone a bit unnoticed and could still end up being better pros despite being lower round picks on draft day. I think you got to find those underrated players and stay away from the overrated ones.

Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson is just oozing with potential. A very special player, with a great skill set, Patterson has the explosive ability with the ball in his hands that makes him a difference maker. Whether he catches a pass and breaks tackles, take a end around and runs with it, or is returning punts he's a threat to score from anywhere on the field. With excellent acceleration and vision to weave through defenses the kid moves like 5' 6" Sproles but he's actually 6'3". He's got what NFL team covet at the position. Size and Speed. He's tall, fast and athletic just still a little unpolished as a route runner right now but that's why NFL teams have receiver coaches.

In terms of being a raw route runner, Patterson compares closely to Demaryius Thomas coming out of Georgia Tech, but Thomas was much bigger. Jeremy Maclin seems to be a decent comparison overall as well but I think Patterson will time better than Maclin did in Indy. Whoever he compares to best though doesn't matter but what does matter is he can be developed into a first-round talent that probably won't go nearly that high on draft day.

Think of him as this year's Stephen Hill who quickly climbed up draft boards last season before being selected in the second round by the Jets (43rd overall). Patterson might be raw in some areas but is filled with potential and could find himself rising up boards quickly with his combination of size (6-3, 205 pounds) and speed (4.45). If he has a strong pre-draft process he could likely go as high as Top 20 pick on draft day but I think there is still a good chance he will settle into the second round like Hill did last year. Both had second-round production in college but look more like first-round talent.

Just like Hill, Patterson is an incomplete prospect who needs to work on some things before he goes turning heads in the NFL. He's still not where he needs to be at from route running stand point but Patterson won't have to wait long to hear his name called if he does make it to day two. So he's not the complete receiver ready for the NFL but yet he's an athlete, he obviously can be a vertical stretch guy. He doesn't look like a natural WR but you cannot ignore that skillset to score whenever he touches the ball. With players like Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas starting to emerge as game changers this season it makes teams value these types of talents even more. You take them, you coach them up, it may take some time but you figure you're getting a guy that one day will be one of the best receivers in the league.

A player this extremely talented with all the pro potential in the world makes you wonder why is he considered a second round pick, right? Well Tennessee had two great receivers in Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers but after Rogers was kicked off the team, Patterson took his place as the starting X (split end) receiver and never looked back. His college career (can you even call it that?) wasn't much different from his kick and punt returns. It was a flash. While Patterson might only have one year of quality experience against big-time competition, he's nothing short of an electrifying talent ready for a much bigger stage. The volume of his UT highlights will be exceeded only by the regrets from fans who didn't see nearly enough of a player who could turn every kick return, pass reception or end-around into a highlight reel score. Once Patterson received a pass or kickoff, fans could forget about all the losses their 5-7 team endured this season. When Patterson was on the run, fans didn't see beyond the next fake, sudden change of direction or bewildered defender. They just didn't get to see enough. And since Patterson is declaring for the NFL draft it's time for a new fanbase to discover the wonders of watching Patterson play. It's time Vikings fans saw another extremely talented and athletic rookie receiver wearing #84 making plays all over the field for the purple and gold. If the Vikings can nab him in the second round it would be a steal.

Selection: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Alternate: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

Another guy I really like is Clemson’s Junior wide out DeAndre Hopkins was thought of as a second day pick at best coming into this season, being an afterthought starting next to super freshman sensation Sammy Watkins. He was a secondary receiver but still caught 72 passes for 978 yards and five touchdowns. However, Hopkins showed this year that he is no second fiddle to Watkins, taking advantage of Watkins' two-game suspension early in the season to emerge as the Tigers' top pass catcher. Hopkins picked up the slack and became the top receiver for Tajh Boyd and had a terrific season with 82 receptions for 1,405 yards, 17.1avg and 18 touchdowns. While Hopkins may not be as talented as Sammy Watkins, you wouldn't notice by his play on the field. Hopkins is a very dangerous receiver in his own right. He's been burning defenses all season long and it could pay off with him being drafted as high as the first round.

Heading into their bowl game vs LSU, he needed just six catches to break Clemson's single-season record set last year by Watkins. Hopkins went H.A.M. as they say and posted a Chick Fil’ A Bowl record of 13 catches for 191 yards and 2 touchdowns. Overall, Hopkins has a nice well-rounded skill set showing NFL speed, smooth athlete, controlled route runner, with the hands to match and the ability to make the spectacular catch. Yet he's still only rated further down the list of receivers in this class. While players like Keenan Allen might be have a bigger name in some circles and is more popular I don't think he is anymore talented nor would he bring any more impact than guys like Hopkins would in the second round. I believe Hopkins profiles as a potential go-to target at the next level. He’s not the biggest receiver at 6-1 and 205lbs but he got smooth routes and reliable hands. He’s also not among the fastest – I’d project a time in the 4.45-4.50 range at the combine. However, this is where the league is in danger of being fooled. He’s a top-20 talent who may go later.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-09-2013 at 02:33 PM.

vCash
    Round 3 - 83rd overall:

This is where I personally would start looking for a QB. After seeing Joe Webb fail in that playoff surprise start so bad and Christian Ponder not do much better most the season it wouldn't hurt to bring in a young quarterback as insurance. Alternatively I would also think bringing in a veteran QB to replace Webb would be a smart idea because if Ponder is ever not able to go again next season I want to actually feel like they can win, or you know complete a pass. If this year in the NFL was any indicator then they shouldn't overlook the later round QB's like Tyler Bray of Tennessee or Landry Jones of Oklahoma. Maybe the recently hyped Russell Wilson, selected in the third round (75th overall) last year has changed minds about just what a mid-round QB can do as a rookie. I'm not saying the Vikings should be giving up on Ponder just yet and looking for his replacement but it couldn't hurt to improve the backup could it?

If not QB maybe they double dip at receiver. Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas if available would be a great selection all the way in the third round and word is Spielman likes drafting Arkansas hogs almost as much as he likes his golden domers. Defensive tackle also seems to be a popular pick amongst mockers for the Vikings but I'm not really buying it. sure we were said to be in need of a DT/NT that we lost with Pat Williams a few seasons back but Guion stepped in and has played decently well. Now they say we need a replacement to Kevin Williams and someone who can contribute as a interior pass-rusher. Some suggest we move Guion back to 3-tech and start Fred Evans if Kevin doesn't come back. Viking beat writer Pelissero said after the playoff loss, "DT may not be as high of a priority as we all think. [The] bright side of a trainwreck, I know, but the Vikings' nose tackles were fabulous last night. Letroy Guion's best day. Fred Evans dominant."

Out of all these possibilities I've listed though I think I am going to have to go with a surprise selection instead. Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa.

The Vikings just selected a corner in the third round in Josh Robinson but with Winfield days numbered and injuries always leaving them thin at the position they could use another. The could use more overall depth in their secondary, and Hyde can play safety or corner which is good versatility for a third round pick.

While teammate Shaun Prater was a more well-known name and received more attention for the 2012 NFL Draft, Hyde is the better NFL prospect from Iowa's secondary. He is bigger and faster, plus has a higher ceiling. Hyde entered the starting lineup as a sophomore on the other side from Prater after serving as a backup during his freshman season in 2009. Hyde had an excellent debut with 82 tackles, four interceptions and seven passes broken up. He returned two of his interceptions for 72 and 66 yards for touchdowns. As a junior last year he started the first few games at free safety before moving back to corner finishing with 68 tackles, three interceptions and eight passes broken up. This year, Hyde was selected First Team All-Big Ten (Coaches selection) for the 2012 college football season. Hyde completed the season with 78 tackles, including 44 solo stops. He led the team with 14 pass breakups, forced two fumbles, and had one interception. He recovered three fumbles, one of which he returned for a touchdown against Purdue.

A three-year starter, Hyde started all 38 games over his final three seasons and played in all 51 games throughout his career. The 6'1", 185-pounder has ideal size and length for the next level. NFL teams love cornerbacks with Hyde's size and length. It's this size that NFL teams looks for to defend against big receivers especially in the red zone. (something Vikings struggle with against guys like Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall). Hyde shows some ball skills with a good amount of pass deflections and INTs but he's not going to be a shutdown corner at the next level. He can however play within the system in which he's a ideal corner fit for the Vikings.

Hyde played a lot of zone over the years at Iowa. The biggest coverage strength for Hyde is definitely his zone ability. He has nice instincts and is intelligent. Hyde picks up and releases receivers well while covering a lot of ground. Offenses don't catch him out of position, and he is extremely reliable to defend his part of the field. Much like a Winfield, Hyde is tremendous in run support. He is a good form tackler and shows no hesitation to take on backs. Hyde does a superb job of defending perimeter runs on his side of the field. He will immediately be a good run-defender for his NFL team's defense. Hyde's zone-coverage skills, intelligence, run defense and size make him a definite fit in a zone scheme for the next level even potential at free safety instead of corner. Defenses that run a variation of the Tampa 2 style system should love him. Being well-developed for our scheme and a very steady player with plenty of experience he projects as a instant contributor.

The Vikings defense was much improved from 2011 but you can never be too good. Continuing to improve on defense should be a major focus of the Vikings if they want to continue to get better and win more games getting back to being division champs. I feel all three levels of the defense could use some rejuvenation and infusion of young talent but I feel our secondary is the place that still needs it the most. Corner is still a position of relative weakness, though it's much better than last season, and despite drafting this position each year early for the most part they can't seem to get any stability or depth.

Josh Robinson, the Vikings 3rd round pick this past year, should be a good player going forward. He's already shown flashes of it but he struggled a bit down the stretch. He'll probably continue to get to play outside corner mostly, or so I believe because of how talented an athlete he is, and if he can stay healthy and on the field Chris Cook should be the other starter on the outside. Even if both players pan out though we still need a good slot corner and the eventual replacement for Antoine Winfield. The Vikings would be wise to add yet another cornerback to the team that can cover and play inside or out. Making one of their weakest positional groups one of their strengths moving forward.

Teams need to have more than just two good cornerbacks anyways now-a-days because of the pass heavy offenses and changes to the league rules. Especially in our division which alone includes the likes of Matthew Stafford who just surpassed Drew Bledsoe’s pass attempts-record mark of 691 while throwing to a receiver who broke Jerry Rice's record and almost went over the 2k mark. That and Aaron Rodgers and his stacked receiving corps aint going anywhere anytime soon. Jay Cutler even is a pretty big threat, as long as they fix their o-line, considering the almost unstoppable presence of Brandon Marshall. It doesn't get any more dangerous then that when it comes to passing attacks.

Selection: Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa

Alternate: Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin

The Vikings won a lot of games this year off of Peterson's rushing so one might think the offensive line is pretty solid. Well the Vikings could still benefit from upgrading either OG or RT actually. The Vikings might consider letting giant Phil Loadholt walk and I wouldn't blame them or even blink for a second if they do. The four-year veteran led the Vikings in penalties with 11 and has struggled in that department for as long as I can remember watching him play. It's not a matter of if it continues to happen anymore but when it happens, and the Vikings should plan to replace him if they want consistency on the field next season. Sure he's a good run blocker but he leaves much to be desired in pass protection. Loadholt is often far too slow off the snap and allows faster rushers to get the advantage on him and then by then it's too late to make up for his mishaps and he holds. If he isn't false starting or offsides in anticipation of the pass rush he's holding as they run around the edge. For a player that's been in the NFL for so long he shouldn't be struggling with things like this. He's just not good enough.

Wagner is a nice RT prospect. A tackle with experience on both the left and right side, Wagner started 10 games as a sophomore for the Badgers at right tackle in 2010 before being moved over to left tackle to replace Gabe Carimi in 2011. At times Wagner can be an overwhelming run blocker. He is powerful and can drive defenders off the line of scrimmage and at 6'6" 320lbs he is quicker and more athletic than one might think. Wisconsin had a lot of success running behind him the past two seasons on each side of the line. He's opened up holes for running backs Montee Ball and James White; all the while being a reliable protector for quarterback Russell Wilson (2011). Wagner needs to clean up his technique, his run blocking and pass blocking need to be more consistent, and he would benefit by being able to sustain blocks longer once he goes through a NFL strength and conditioning program but Wagner is a good lineman prospect with next level talent. While he has his share of wins and losses he battles and it doesn't look like anybody is too much for him whether he's facing off against lesser opponents or better opponents like Nebraska and Michigan State. NFL Scouts always look to Wisconsin's run scheme and rave about how good a job it does at preparing offensive linemen. Wagner should be a quick starter as a pro because of this.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-09-2013 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    I'de rather pass on Keenan Allen at 23 and take a receiver with some size who is still as physically gifted with speed and athletic ability. Guys like Cordarrelle Patterson -Tennessee, DeAndre Hopkins -Clemson, Terrance Williams -Baylor, Justin Hunter -Tennessee, Robert Woods -USC, Cobi Hamilton -Arkansas, and Da'Rick Rogers -Tennessee Tech. To me almost everyone of those guys has a chance to be as good as if not better than Allen and won't likely cost as high as the 23rd pick.
    I totally agree with you that we can find comparable talent at WR in the second round, but it should be noted that Allen is taller and better suited to be a true No. 1 than guys like Hopkins and Woods. Hopkins has outstanding speed and talent but he and Woods are both about 6'1" while Allen is about 6'3" isn't he? I think Hopkins and Woods would make great slot guys.

I'm personally pulling for either Rogers or Patterson in the 2nd round. I'd like us to address MLB with Ogletree or Te'o; or get a shut down corner to combat GB.
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!

vCash
    After watching Manti Te'o get knocked around by other first round talent offensive players on Alabama I really don't want him. He couldn't wrap up Lacey and he had a lot of trouble getting off blocks. He missed a lot of tackles in that game. Te'o may of showed his true colors Monday night. I'd much rather have one of those guys who was knocking him around, mainly Chance Warmack or Barrett Jones.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Well done HSmith22...well done! Love the Te'o pick and it seems very reasonable that we could move up now. I'm starting to see Te'o stock drop a bit and a lot have him in that mid 15 range or so now. He would be a great fit in our D. And with the Notre Dame guys we have he would fit right in as being a leader/high character guy.

Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast