Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ogletree, Allen, and Warmack. As long as we get one of those 3 I'll be happy. If we don't take Allen, I want Rogers in 2nd.

Teddy Bridgewater | Andrew Wiggins | Byron Buxton
    THE FUTURE IS NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Nope, he's talking about how many of the somewhat questionable WRs drafted high last year like Brian Quick and Stephen Hill and AJ Jenkins, turned out to be absolutely worthless this year because they had a lot of trouble adapting to the NFL. Even the absolute money picks like Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd really didn't do so hot.

I may be a little biased in saying this but Jarius Wright, in terms of what he's been able to do and what its meant for our team, so far is one of the better WRs in that class.

All in all, this massive under performance from high drafted WRs means that teams will be less likely to reach in the future. I'm sure its not going to mean anything for the top guys like Keenan Allen, but it means that where a team drafted Brian Quick last year, they might more likely to pass on Da'Rick Rodgers because of how poorly some of these rookie WRs have played (or not played at all as it would be) in 2012.
    Justin Blackmon set franchise rookie records for receptions (64), receiving yards (865) and average per reception (13.5) while tying Matt Jones for most receiving touchdowns (5) this season. I would say Blackmon did pretty well. If he didn't have Gabbert throwing him the ball in the first half of the season he would have put up monster numbers. Floyd also picked up his play towards the end of the year and posted huge numbers in his final game (166 yards and one touchdown). WRs typically don't produce monster numbers in their first season. It usually happens in year two or three. Players like AJ Green and Randy Moss are a rarity in the NFL.

vCash
    From where we will be drafting I do feel like LG will be our best shot. I don't feel like there will be a chance on Warmack. I bet Dal or someone way ahead of us will grab the guy but Jonathan Cooper will be a GREAT LG in the NFL. Scouts love the guy and I really feel we have a shot at him from our draft spot.
    There are some good WR's in this years draft but there are no real solid #1 type guy like a dez Bryant, or someone like that, not from what I have seen.
    I like Ogletree, but his overall ranking is at 81, and though I just don't trust the overall player ranking very much, having watched him, he needs a strong DT front...something we don't have. Good coverage guy, Might be best to have him in the mid Second area.
    Thing is, do we need a DT more than a MLB? I think so. Matter fact, depending on who is selected before us, DT might be our best shot in the first, but I still really like Cooper in the first over All DT's accept a couple and for sure, those guys will be gone bye bye.
    The second round is going to be tricky but it will be a heck of alot easier if we trade Harvin for a second rounder and pick up a Free agent like Bowe or Bowe or some one like dwayne Bowe.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    How I see it... Our top 5 needs to keep improving are;

1. WR

If there is one biggest weakness on the team it's our receivers. The Jerome Simpson project didn't work out and outside of Percy Harvin, who may not be here long term, they don't have anybody who can be a No. 2 receiver. Rookie Jarius Wright has made some strides as of late, once they decided to play him and give him a chance to shine, but there's no doubt they need some more talented receivers if they're ever going to have balance on offense and improve the 32nd-ranked passing offense.

If Ponder is ever going to get better he needs receivers that can move the chains. The ones he has now are way too inconsistent for him to truly succeed. I'm not blaming his struggles on his receivers at all but I realize if the roster gets better around him and the staff gives him all the opportunity to succeed he just may. Get him some actual weapons to work with on the outside and who knows he might surprise us yet.

Hopefully they can keep Harvin and draft someone as a complement, a big wideout with the upside to become the Vikings' top split end. However, the receiver class this year is kind of weak so maybe they'll look to address this need through free agency first. A name I would love to see in purple is Greg Jennings. I know... I know... How many times have we taken Packer cast aways but honestly any team in the NFL would be well-served with the addition of a receiver of his caliber. With the emergence of Randall Cobb, Green Bay's receiver corps looks too stacked (Cobb, Jordy Nelson, and James Jones) and Jennings may just be let go since the young three remaining options they have are more than capable of continuing their pass happy offense. If Jennings does or is allowed to leave then the Vikings better make every move to snatch him up. Dwayne Bowe is another name I would love to see. Both would be huge upgrades and immediately becomes arguably our best receiver. In Jennings case he caught 36 passes and four touchdowns in eight games this season which is more than Jerome Simpson caught in 12 games. I know different offense, different QB, etc but no doubt in my mind if we had better receivers like that we would have a better passing attack. At the very least they would have a dominant 1-2 duo again and the threat of a passing attack. They would get open more often making life much easier on Ponder.

That being said though if the Vikings are to keep Harvin signing someone like Jennings might be out of the picture. That might be some lesser named free agents they could bring in but to me free agency is about getting those elite guys. If you can't get one of them then that leaves the draft. Where the Vikings are selecting in the draft, having made the playoffs, I don't see them choosing from a bunch of stud players. All or most of the big names will be long gone off the board so do they reach and take a 1st round receiver or wait for a 2nd - 3rd round receiver? I think teams can find good receivers later in the draft and most of the receivers there offer little difference in the kind of talent that the 1st rounders do but I also realize most of the elite WR's in the NFL have been first round selections.

Some names they could choose are;

Keenan Allen, WR, California
    Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

Baylor is my favorite choice of the three first round options. He had a great season even after RGIII left school and broke/set many school records including his game against West Virginia with 17 receptions and 314 yards. He finished the season with 97 receptions for 1,832 yards, the Baylor single-season receiving yards record, and 12 Touchdowns, second-most in a season in program history. He has gone over 100 receiving yards in eight of 12 games this season, leading the nation in receiving yards and receiving yards per game. All season long he was on a record pace to become only the second 2,000-yard receiver in NCAA history but ultimately fell short of his goal (AP can relate).

That being said, we've seen this all before with players like Michael Crabtree and Justin Blackmon, two recent examples of inflated college statistics, so I would prefer a player like Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas or Robert Woods, WR, USC after the first round is over with because I think players like this who are still very talented in their own right offer more value in the 2nd round or later and will bring almost the exact same thing as any of the first round receivers would. I'll be happy with anybody as long as they pan out though and the Vikings have done well selecting under Spielman so I'm sure he'll continue to find quality talent in each round. Oh and don't count out Greg Childs just yet, something tells me with the Vikings medical staff including miracle man Eric Sugarman we may just see him yet but it is a long odds chance that that will happen.

2. CB

The offense, and when I say offense I mean passing offense, is by far our biggest concern but your defense can never be too good. Continuing to improve on defense should be another focus of the Vikings if they want to get better. I feel all three levels of the defense could use some rejuvenation and infusion of young talent but I feel our secondary is the place that still needs it the most.

Corner is still a position of relative weakness, though it's much better than last season, and despite drafting this position each year early for the most part they can't seem to get any stability or depth. Josh Robinson, the Vikings 3rd round pick this past year, should be a good player going forward. He's already shown flashes of it but he struggled a bit down the stretch. He'll probably continue to get to play outside corner mostly, or so I believe because of how talented an athlete he is, and if he can stay healthy and on the field Chris Cook should be the other starter on the outside. Even if both players pan out though we still need a good slot corner and the eventual replacement for Antoine Winfield. The Vikings would be wise to add yet another cornerback to the team that can cover and play inside or out. Making one of their weakest positional groups one of their strengths moving forward.

Teams need to have more than just two good cornerbacks anyways now-a-days because of the pass heavy offenses and changes to the league rules. Especially in our division which alone includes the likes of Matthew Stafford who just surpassed Drew Bledsoe’s pass attempts-record mark of 691 while throwing to a receiver who broke Jerry Rice's record and almost went over the 2k mark. That and Aaron Rodgers and his stacked receiving corps aint going anywhere anytime soon. Jay Cutler even is a pretty big threat, as long as they fix their o-line, considering the almost unstoppable presence of Brandon Marshall. It doesn't get any more dangerous then that when it comes to passing attacks.

While the drafts top cornerback DeMarcus Milliner of Alabama probably will be out of reach there are plenty of other players in the draft to choose from including;

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    David Amerson, CB, N.C. State

And there is always free agency with some intriguing names. Guys like Mike Jenkins of the Cowboys and Aqib Talib of the Patriots would bring starter ability to the table for probably decent contracts. Hey it can't get any worse than signing a TE to a five-year, $25 million contract only to watch him have 8 catches for 43 yards on the season.

3. RT/OG

The Vikings might consider letting giant Phil Loadholt walk and I wouldn't blame them or even blink for a second if they do. The four-year veteran led the Vikings in penalties with 11 and has struggled in that department for as long as I can remember watching him play. It's not a matter of if it continues to happen anymore but when it happens, and the Vikings should plan to replace him if they want consistency on the field next season.

An excellent choice would be Jake Matthews, son of Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, who has the makings and the bloodlines of a standout offensive lineman with NFL caliber. The NFL loves bloodlines and you can't do any better than the Matthews, a football family through and through. Pretty much all of them are, have been, or will become great NFL players. Bruce Matthews, played as an offensive lineman for 19 years in the National Football League for the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans franchise after being drafted out of USC in 1983. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007 and considered one of the greatest offensive linemen in NFL history, playing in an NFL-record 14 consecutive Pro Bowls. His Brother, Clay Matthews, Jr., the father to the already great Packer's OLB Clay Matthews III, played the third most games in NFL history (278) over 19 seasons as a linebacker for the Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons while earning 4 Pro Bowl selections. Both brothers were sons of Clay Matthews, Sr., whom played 4 seasons in the NFL for the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s. Clay Matthews, Jr. other son Casey Matthews was drafted and plays linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles, following a prosperous collegiate run with the University of Oregon Ducks. Bruce Matthews son's too have made it in the NFL. Kevin is a center for the Tennessee Titans, while Jake of course has started the past two seasons at offensive tackle for the Texas A&M Aggies, and Mike an offensive lineman currently playing football for Texas A&M as well.

While Jake has been closely scrutinized by NFL scouts due in part to his family's rich history of success in the NFL it's his play on the football field that ultimately has him a likely high round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. As a freshman he got his chance to play when an injury thrust him into the starting lineup. The Aggies were struggling to protect their quarterback but once Matthews was put in their sacks per game went down dramatically. He played very well and with the help of his teammates, Texas A&M allowed just 14 sacks in their final seven games, a 180 degree turnaround from the previous six games, where they surrendered 23 sacks. For his efforts he earned Honorable Mention All-Big 12 and was named to the ESPN All Big 12 freshman team. He again was solid in protecting Ryan Tannehill [1st round (8th overall) Miami Dolphins draft last year] producing an excellent sophomore season in 2011. A reliable pass protector for Tannehill, in his first season as starter it wasn't until his Junior year in 2012 when Matthews, starting again at right tackle, showed how great of a player he is.

Many scouts wanted to see just how well Matthews would play against SEC competition when Texas A&M made the move from the Big-12 to the SEC this year. Scouts looked for him to remain consistent against a tougher slate of pass-rushers and continue to assert his dominance facing off against challenging defenses such as LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Florida. Those SEC battles would have a big impact on Matthews' draft status if he wanted to remain a likely high draft pick. Matthews didn't disappoint. Helping clear the way for an offense that led the SEC in rushing, passing, scoring and total offense and gained 400 or more yards in the final 11 games of the 2012 regular season he cemented his spot as a mid first round pick. For an offensive lineman with the name "Matthews" on the back of the jersey he has had a lot to live up to, but through three seasons of college football Jake Matthews has been as good as expected and proved that he was worthy of the hype. There is a lot to like about Matthews.

Matthews has the total physical package that teams look for in starting offensive lineman. The 6'5'', 305-pound junior is one of the more athletic offensive lineman in the country. In fact the first things that jumps out about Matthews is not his strength but his quickness and athleticism. Unlike many right tackles, Matthews has light feet and a nice burst out of his stance. It's this mobility for such a big guy that often let's him get to the second level of a defense. A natural football player, he is a very intelligent blocker in regards to his run-blocking. He can sustain blocks without holding and

While already excellent in run blocking, Matthews does has room for improvement in his pass blocking skills but even though he's further along in the run department than in pass protection right now he has plenty of upside to be a lock-down pass-protector in the NFL and is still regarded as ready for the NFL in both areas. With the quality footwork, technique and athleticism he holds his own in pass protection possessing the ability to shuffle and mirror pass-rushers before they gain leverage around the edge. Watching Matthews, it is clear that he has great instincts and is very quick in his drops and has well-developed technique.

Loadholt meanwhile is far too often slow off the snap and allows faster rushers to get the advantage on him. For a player that's been in the NFL for so long he also lacks the solid technique and footwork to make up for these mishaps despite four years of coaching. All the problems that Loadholt tends to struggle with are some of Matthews strengths to his game. Not only would Matthews intelligent play cut down on the costly penalties but he is more of a natural edge-protector and won't get beat as much in the pass rush but if he does he's far more athletic with the quickness to make up for it. I also don't think the Vikings would be missing out on any physical run-blocking ability by moving on from the giant 6'8" Phil Loadholt because Matthews has good size for the position as well. Matthews is as solid a run blocker as Loadholt was coming out and he has plenty of room to gain more strength as he matures and can continue to get better in pass protection too. Overall Matthews looks like he has the skill set with the length, technique and athleticism to play right away in the NFL and yet he is still developing and should continue to get better and stronger at his craft and should only improve with more experience.

NFL teams looking for a tackle would find Matthews a desirable prospect if he enters the draft early. With the potential to be a standout starter in the NFL early in his pro career, especially considering those blood lines, Matthews shouldn't have to wait too long to hear his named called whenever he decides to enter the draft. Currently, Matthews has a good chance of being a Top 15 pick this year, so I would imagine he would enter, but considering most skilled right tackles are selected later in the first round he may err on the side of caution and consider staying one more year in college. The Aggies have a very good left tackle in junior Luke Joeckel, the best in the nation actually, and if not for him Matthews would probably be a left tackle if he played at almost any other school in the nation. If Joeckel leaves and Matthews stayed at Texas A&M for another year he might get a chance to play LT for one year in hopes of being selected higher in the 2014 draft class.

However, he's already shown to be perfectly suited to remain at his position of RT and be a dominant player so why make the move? Whenever he should elect to make himself eligible to the NFL Matthews will undoubtedly be a sought after prospect among many teams. If he does enter and stays at right tackle it's far more likely he would fall out of the Top 15 and within range of where the Vikings are selecting. If he does this then the Vikings should pounce as he would be a perfect selection in the first round.

With Matt Kalil already entrenched at left tackle the Vikings could plug Jake in right away at right tackle and have book end tackles for the next decade protecting Ponder and opening up outside lanes for Peterson. The front five is very important to a team that's built to run the ball and both Kalil and Matthews have the athleticism for such big men to get to that second level and sustain blocks down field that would help spring Peterson loose for those long touchdown runs. He would be a safe pick and a reliable starter for a long time.

Plus just how awesome would it be to see Jake Matthews going up against his cousin Clay Matthews twice a year and how many times has he, Clay, beat Loadholt over the years? I can't even count that high. Besides that would just be an awesome battle, cousin vs cousin. Has anything like this even happened before, besides brother's Ronde and Tiki Barber maybe?

Other lineman I wouldn't mind drafting include;
    Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
    Barrett Jones, OG/OT, Alabama
    D.J. Fluker, OT/G, Alabama.

Yeah, Alabama has some good lineman.

4. MLB

If the Vikings could use improvement and upgrades at other defensive positions then they could do much better than Jasper Brinkley at possible the most key position on their defense. While the fourth-year player selected by the Vikings in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft (150th overall) was given the chance to take the job of incumbent E.J. Henderson and performed admirably in his first full starting season he does however have his limitations and in some areas of play leaves much to be desired.

He didn't play horrible though so I wouldn't say this is quite a need at this point. Known for being a big hitter, he isn't very good in coverage so if the Vikings could get an upgrade over Brinkley who is basically a serviceable player at this point then why not? Why not get someone who can do more than just the things asked of him? A playmaker and a difference maker! It would pay huge dividends for their defense overall, as MLB is one of the most key positions in the scheme the Vikings run. Look at players like Brian Urlacher for example, how important he's been to that Bears defense for so long in a very similar defensive system. Ray Lewis who's leaving the game is another prime example.

They need that pillar in the middle, who can dominate against not just the run but also the pass. Manti Te'o has that kind of skills and upside. A tackling machine for the Fighting Irish, Te'o has really improved his pass coverage skills in 2012, which helps his stock as a three-down linebacker prospect for the NFL. He is fast enough to play the middle in a 4-3 defense but skilled enough to play in any scheme inside or out. As just a sophomore in 2010, he made 133 tackles then followed that season up with another 128 tackles, 13.5 being for a loss and five sacks to boot in 2011, he led Notre Dame in sacks and tackles that season. This season his leadership and defensive play has led the Fighting Irish to a undefeated record and the No. 1 team in the country, and playing in the National Championship game. Put simply, Manti Te'o is the best player on the best team in the nation.

Te'o has NFL size (6-2, 255) and speed to adapt quickly to become a playmaking presence in his first season in the NFL with the leadership qualities to become a team leader on whichever team is lucky enough to draft him. Luke Kuechly was highly touted last year for his tackling ways at Boston College but many said he wouldn't get selected in the top 10 of the draft because of his position not being worth the pick. Well everybody had the Carolina Panthers, picking 9th overall, taking a DT in but they correctly took the best defensive player on the board and he proceeded to lead the NFL in tackles with 164 in his rookie season. Te'o has the ability to make that kind of a impact right away in the NFL and will continue to make a ton of tackles in run defense but also play solid against the pass in zone coverage. He should go in the top 10 just as Kuechly did so if the Vikings want him, they'll need to trade up but if the Vikings can manage to upgrade the MLB position with a player like Te'o they should at least try.

5. DT

Year in and year out people have us taking a first round DT in all the Mock Drafts I read. TBH I'm quite sick of it but I do realize eventually we'll have to take one. They didn't budge despite the departure of Pat Williams a few years back and even with facing the declining play of Kevin Williams now I don't believe they'll go DT first round. Could they surprise me? Sure. The Vikings could use a young difference-maker in the middle of their defensive line. Players like Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State, Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri, or Jonathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia could be huge additions to a team that's build to get pressure with just their front four. It is true... the quickest way to pressure a quarterback is from an interior lineman collapsing the pocket. While defensive line and our pass rush is far from a need I do realize that soon our defensive tackles could become an issue and one in particular, that being Kevin Williams, is trailing and sorta fading away. A once dominant force and the middle, he's still more than serviceable but not quite the same player he once was. Letroy Guion isn't exactly elite either. With our run defense getting worse and worse it wouldn't be a bad move to add a big ugly in the middle but I think the player would have to be falling down the boards and just be too talented to pass up for the Vikings to select a DT in the first round. I don't see any DT coming in and starting over Kevin Williams next season regardless of who it is and I don't think they would draft somebody in the first round unless they plan to have them play a lot and be able to make an immediate impact.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

So in recap I would love to see us get Manti Te'o or a quality corner in the first round. I still believe defense wins championships (for the most part) and although I like the defensive improvements we've seen this season I still feel there's more to go if we want to be dominant. That being said I realize that offense is more of a concern. I also want to see us get a ton of receiver help but not necessarily first round draft picks being the solution. Just because that's our biggest need doesn't mean it needs to be our first pick. If picking your biggest weakness in the highest round always worked then drafting would be easy but that's not how things are done. I think the first round should go by talent, regardless of position, and I think there are more talented players out there at other positions than receiver. For example, Jake Matthews, RT, Texas A&M probably can't catch worth a darn but he's one helluva damn fine o-lineman and I always will believe teams are built through and games are won and lost in the trenches. He would be a better pick in the first round even though his position isn't a bigger need since our line played well for the most part this year. Making an already strong point on the team better can do but one thing for the team, improve it. Good for both Peterson and Ponder and team's that take advantage of talented players falling down the boards, even if the position doesn't scream most pressing need, tend to find they're more stacked then ever more often then not.

My Target Board:

1. Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame
    2. Jake Matthews, RT, Texas A&M
    3. DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama
    4. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
    5. Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    6. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
    7. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    8. Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    9. Keenan Allen, WR, California
    10. Jonathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.

vCash
    Glad you're back, always love your draft posts.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    2 Tackles, 1 INTs, 2.8 QB Rating

vCash
    I say we wait until later rounds to draft D. Jasper is starting to play better, and Antwon and Kevin are still good for a couple of years still. We have Antwons replacement getting groomed in Josh and we have time to draft and groom Kevins replacement....I know NT and MLB are some peoples concern but unless we can get the Notre Dame guy I say draft D way later....What we do need, even keeping Harvin, is two new G's and a No 1 WR. Many people have said that this years WR's aren't the best but we should have the opportunity to land one of the best G's of the draft in the first round, I would even trade up to get a watered down Steve Hutch. The WR is simple just make him compliment Harvin and Wright,,he needs to be big and fast but more than fast just a big target to have Ponder beable to throw it up once in awhile....I wouldn't mind bringing in two old faces to help bridge the next two seasons in Hutch and Moss but for sure we need to solidify our interior line for AP and Ponder,,,I wish we would of never got rid of Hutch,,,just imagine how he would look next to Kalil and Sully...

When some guys loose half a step they still are better than most with their full step.

vCash
    Fellas. Tonight Keep a close eye on the prospects in ND and Alabama.
    My sights are fixed on Zeke Motta from ND. He IS Harrison smith 2.0.
    Mark my words. Knowing Spielman he will be looking that direction as well.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking this Motta kid in the 2nd or 3rd round but i don't know if I would have him replace Sanford just yet. I've always liked Sanford's ability to wrap up and Sanford started 15 games for the Vikings this season, recording a career-high 75 tackles. That's pretty decent. He is a restricted free agent though.
    Good article I found on Motta though...
    http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/12/2...ns-zeke-motta/
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-04-2013 at 09:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking this Motta kid in the 2nd or 3rd round but i don't know if I would have him replace Sanford just yet. I've always liked Sanford's ability to wrap up and Sanford started 15 games for the Vikings this season, recording a career-high 75 tackles. That's pretty decent. He is a restricted free agent though.
    Good article I found on Motta though...
    http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/12/2...ns-zeke-motta/
    Nice Read brother. I liked this part:
    “I like Zeke Motta for a lot of reasons. He’s a big, physical, tough safety. You look at the success that Harrison Smith had a year ago as a first-round safety, and Zeke is a little bigger, stronger, and more physical. I don’t think he moves quite as well from a change-of-direction perspective as Smith. But I’m a big believer that Zeke is going to be a starting safety in the league. Again, just kind of an overview, I think he’s probably going to go somewhere in the second or third round.”

This is a player we need to target. For one, he is real close to Smith and they know eachother. Second, the sky is the limit with Zeke. perfect SS for us. Although Sanford has really come on very well, and If and when we beat the Packers, Sanfords stock will rise. Zeke Has to be an addition to the Minn Vikings. Anyone doubt me.. Watch him play tonight and see Just what the H### I am screaming.

Here is another great read from the interview with ND's MLB TE'O and thier DC Diaco:

Q. (Te’o and Diaco) Could you just talk a little bit about Zeke Motta and what he has brought as a teammate and his contributions on and off the field.

TE’O: I think when you’re talking about Zeke Motta, you’re talking about a guy who does not quit, a guy whose work ethic you cannot measure, because that guy will outwork anybody, every day, every single rep. He and Prince Shembo are the two guys who really inspire me. Coach talked about how I practiced the hardest I’ve practiced all year. One, that’s because I realized that my time here is running out; and two, because I have guys around me that are that example for me, even for myself, that I can always give more, and Zeke Motta is someone who always gives me, not only for himself but because that’s how much he cares about this team, and that’s how important this game is to him.

So he’s just that guy out there who’s working hard, but also he’s helping to just be that kind of traffic control guy out there for the young guys, because I think the youngest group we have out there is our secondary, but by the way they play you wouldn’t tell because of No. 17 and his maturity and how he just facilitates everything back there.

DIACO: Zeke from a coaching perspective is such a pleasure to coach. Since the first day that we started to work with Zeke, not one time has he ever complained, not one time has he ever not tried to do what you’re asking him to do. He takes his job and work very, very seriously, and just sheer toughness. Manti was talking about work, and that’s all true, but this is a tough, tough individual. I mean, not only contact tough, mentally tough. If you were going to any kind of battle to do any kind of competitive anything, you’d want to take Zeke Motta with you.
    Last edited by Daniel0227; 01-04-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    They don't play tonight. They play on Monday.

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    They don't play tonight. They play on Monday.
    Ya, I saw that. My Bad.

Thanks.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    If we could somehow snatch DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson or Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee in the second round we would be golden. I feel both these players have gone a bit unnoticed and are underrated.

Clemson’s Junior wide receiver was thought of as a second round pick at best coming into this season, being an afterthought starting next to super freshman sensation Sammy Watkins. He was a secondary receiver but still caught 72 passes for 978 yards and five touchdowns. However, Hopkins showed this year that he is no second fiddle to Watkins, taking advantage of Watkins' two-game suspension early in the season to emerge as the Tigers' top pass catcher. Hopkins picked up the slack and became the top receiver for Tajh Boyd and had a terrific season with 82 receptions for 1,405 yards, 17.1avg and 18 touchdowns. While Hopkins may not be as talented as Sammy Watkins, you wouldn't notice by his play on the field. Hopkins is a very dangerous receiver in his own right. He's been burning defenses all season long.

Heading into their bowl game vs LSU, he needed just six catches to break Clemson's single-season record set last year by Watkins. Hopkins went H.A.M. as they say and posted a Chick Fil’ A Bowl record of 13 catches for 191 yards and 2 touchdowns. Overall, Hopkins has a nice well-rounded skill set showing NFL speed, smooth athlete, controlled route runner, with the hands to match and the ability to make the spectacular catch.

Yet he's still only rated further down the list of receivers in this class. While players like Keenan Allen, WR, Cal might be a bigger name I don't think they would bring any more impact than guys like Hopkins would in the second round. I believe Hopkins profiles as a potential go-to target at the next level. He’s not the biggest receiver at 6-1 and 205lbs. He’s also not among the fastest – I’d project a time in the 4.45-4.50 range at the combine. However, this is where the league is in danger of being fooled. He’s a top-20 talent who may go later.

Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson might only have one year of quality experience against big-time competition, but he's an electrifying talent. Tennessee had two great receivers in Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers but after Rogers was kicked off the team, Patterson took his place as the starting X (split end) receiver and never looked back.

Showing off his elite speed and explosiveness he opened the year by beating David Amerson, the prolific NFL prospect, for a 41-yard score on a go route straight down the field. Patterson also took a carry for a 67-yard touchdown later in first quarter. He had six receptions for 93 yards and a score against the Wolfpack that day. On the season, he had just 46 receptions but they went for 778 yards and five touchdowns and he added 3 more and another 308 yards on the ground.

Patterson is raw, but filled with potential and could find himself rising up boards quickly with his combination of size (6-4, 205 pounds) and speed (4.45). Think of him as this year's Stephen Hill who quickly climbed up draft boards last season before being selected in the second round by the Jets (43rd overall). Patterson too will likely blow people away at the combine and rise up boards throughout the pre-draft process.

He's an incomplete prospect who needs to work on some things. He's still not where he needs to be at from route running stand point. So he's not the complete receiver ready for the NFL but yet he's an athlete, he obviously can be a vertical stretch guy. He doesn't look like a natural WR but you cannot ignore that skillset to score whenever he touches the ball. With players like Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas starting to come on strong this season it makes teams value these types of talents even more. You take him, you coach him up, it may take some time but you figure you're getting a guy that one day will be one of the best receivers in the league.

In terms of being a raw route runner, Patterson compares closely to Demaryius Thomas coming out of Georgia Tech, but Thomas was much bigger. Jeremy Maclin seems to be a decent comparison overall, but I think Patterson will time better than Maclin did. Whoever he compares to best doesn't matter much though, but what does matter is he can be developed into a first-round talent that probably shouldn't go nearly that high on draft day. It'll be interesting to see just how high he does go. I'de say mid first round is his ceiling but right now he looks like more of a second-round pick. If the Vikings can grab him in the second round it would be a steal.

Another player I would love to get but at that point in the draft, round 2 or 3, but I don't feel we will because it's a luxury pick sorta, is Matt Elam, S, Florida. I think he is going to be a player at the next level and pair him with Harrison Smith would give us a sick safety tandem but I think the Vikings will just resign Sanford.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-05-2013 at 05:47 PM.

vCash
    Wr, wr, wr, wr, wr...
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    I would

Sign Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe
    1st Round - Alec Ogletree
    2nd Round - DeAndre Hopkins/Robert Woods

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Still shooting for Justin Hunter, the measurable are there; he just needs coaching. Lots of red flags, from poor work ethic and sometimes being considered "weak". But a lot seems to be with that ACL injury. I think if we could nab him in the 3rd round if a WR we want is out by the 2nd would be a good pick honestly. But our WR coach needs to GO. Get a guy in here known for working with young men and getting them focused on playing good football. If he gets his head straight he has crazy potential. But I liked him more before the season then now, that's for sure.

Da'Rick Rogers is also climbing on me pretty hard. His concerns are off the field are minor (weed I believe?), the guy on the field just plain balls outs. I hope we can grab him at #21, hell worth trading up a few spots if needed.

Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness.
    He could be a dangerous receiver in an NFL West Coast offense. Rogers has the speed and big-play ability to be a X (split end) receiver and the size to function as the Z (flanker) receiver. Because of the off-the-field problems, he is likely to go on the second day of the 2013 NFL Draft.
    ^That gets me excited. I have to watch tape on him though. Now with the Vikings season over I'll get more into draft mode, my favorite time of the season.

So basically Hunter; High Risk:Very High Reward, Rogers; Medium Risk:High Reward.
    Last edited by TearsOfPurple; 01-06-2013 at 01:15 AM.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    2 Tackles, 1 INTs, 2.8 QB Rating

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast