Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 Coaching Thread

I'm not huge on firing anyone after one season, but with the personnel packages I've seen this year I think someone has to be accountable for the mistakes that are so obvious to anyone watching the Vikings. We have tons of weapons being under utilized. Harvin was the first example and it took the media to publicly humiliate Musgrave to finally start targeting Harvin and get him more snaps. Now it is Rudolph. The guy is a freak. Get him on the damn field. You are an NFL coordinator you should be able to see these things. I'm all for Musgrave taking a hike after the season!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...135291393.html

vCash
    Rudolph being in the game on 1 of 8 Red Zone plays is awful. You can not possibly be that stupid to think you have your best chance to score with him off the field.

vCash
    ya bill musgrave needs to go. the rest i dont really hve a huge issue with

vCash
    Totally agree Augi. I mean in his limited snaps he shown great hands and the ability to get open. He's from Notre Dame so he is a smart kid so I'm sure he knows the playbook pretty well. With this athletic ability and the way teams are using tight ends as slot receivers (Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Rob Gronkowski, and so on) why don't we do this with Rudolph? He certainly has the ability to make plays like those guys are.

I think Percy coming out and saying how special of a player Rudolph is is Percy trying to get Musgrave to play him more. Percy is one of the most respected players in that locker room and hopefully Musgrave listens. I mean were 2-10, what do we accomplish by not playing him? We drafted him in the 2nd round because we thought he could be an impact player and a big part of our future right? Logic says, PLAY HIM!

I'm not a fan either of firing coaches after one season but jesus christ Musgrave sucks. From poor playing calling to not playing 2 of our best weapons. This guy is a moron and needs to be fired immediately after the Bears game. The sad thing is Derrell Bevell is a better play caller and we all hated him!

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Totally agree Augi. I mean in his limited snaps he shown great hands and the ability to get open. He's from Notre Dame so he is a smart kid so I'm sure he knows the playbook pretty well. With this athletic ability and the way teams are using tight ends as slot receivers (Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Rob Gronkowski, and so on) why don't we do this with Rudolph? He certainly has the ability to make plays like those guys are.

I think Percy coming out and saying how special of a player Rudolph is is Percy trying to get Musgrave to play him more. Percy is one of the most respected players in that locker room and hopefully Musgrave listens. I mean were 2-10, what do we accomplish by not playing him? We drafted him in the 2nd round because we thought he could be an impact player and a big part of our future right? Logic says, PLAY HIM!

I'm not a fan either of firing coaches after one season but jesus christ Musgrave sucks. From poor playing calling to not playing 2 of our best weapons. This guy is a moron and needs to be fired immediately after the Bears game. The sad thing is Derrell Bevell is a better play caller and we all hated him!
    I have been wondering this all season. I watched the pre season games this year and they split him out like a receiver and that created match up problems. I thought to myself ok we made a good 2nd round pick. Now all of us don't know what we have b/c he doesn't get snaps or touches. I'm not pleased with Musgrave but willing to give him one more season with Ponder to see what happens. I don't want Ponder getting a revolving door at OC which will hurt his development. I do have major question marks with the coaching staff and if there isn't major changes after a full off season heads better roll!

vCash
    While I would not be upset if Musgrave got canned, I am for bringing him back next year. While I do agree that his personnel decisions are more then questionable, my main concern is Ponder's development. Ponder is not the kind of guy that will thrive in any system and changing to a new one is sure to have the Alex Smith effect on him.
    If the above text has offended you, please PM me your address so that I may mail you a kleenex.

vCash
    HC-----Billick
    OC-----anyone cause Billick would run O
    DC-----Singletary or Del Rio

I think everything with our offensive scheme needs to go and for the most part our D aswell. Even with our HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE Secondary our front 7 is real good and should be making our D way better. Even with Allens awesome sack total this season.

vCash
    Ya it's been a rough 1st year for our coaching staff that's for sure. I was on this rant about 3 weeks ago and have cooled on it. I think they need 1 more season.

I agree with all of you though about Rudolph not seeing enough snaps.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Todd Haley has been fired, if we dump Musgrave he could be an option. Also Romeo Crennel was Haley's staff, if he isn't brought back he could be an option for defensive coordinator.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I definitely think Musgrave was a bad choice as O-coordinator. I agree with what was said earlier though about changing coordinator's hurting Ponder, but I would rather sooner than later. I know Pagac wants to run a more aggressive form of defense with blitzes and such, but our corners and safeties are so bad in man coverage that it kills us. I would give Pagac another year as long as we do something in the draft/free agency to fix our broken secondary. Plus Pagac was born in PA like me . I am for keeping Frazier plus from a business standpoint the Wilfs have to keep him.

vCash

Where We Propose Offering Up a Sacrificial Lamb To Quell The Impending Revolution

by Ted Glover on Dec 13, 2011 7:28 AM PST

When surveying the landscape of this 2011 season, there are a lot of things we can point to and say 'terrible'. This team has been racked by injuries, poor discipline, and a stunning abundance of 'what the hell' from the defense.

Yeah, the defense. What has long been considered a rock solid group of mayhem inducing playmakers has been reduced to, outside of one or two players, a largely impotent group that has been pushed around and manhandled at times this season. I'm not a guy that believes that they should toss a shutout every time out, but far too many times this year, the defense has failed at critical times, where a stop might have saved preserved a victory.

But no.

Our esteemed leader wrote about a statistic that he can't get over, and it's one that gobsmacked me. Yes, injuries to the secondary have turned the defensive backs into an endangered species in Minnesota, but still, these guys are in the NFL, and they should be able to play. With as much havoc as the defensive line generally wreaks, no interceptions in over 8 games is stunning.

So at some point, I wonder if it's not time for a new defensive coordinator.

May I suggest Steve Spagnuolo, the probably soon to be fired coach of the St. Louis Rams?

Current DC Fred Pagac is an immensely likeable guy. He's fiery, funny, and in the few minutes I got to chat with him at Mankato, he's a solid football mind. And when you add his OSU background, well, it's safe to say I'll never dislike him.

But the Vikings defense has been a train wreck this year. Yes, I know the loss of Pat Williams hurt. Yes, I know E.J. Henderson, while still a warrior, has lost a step, and Chad Greenway's play has been inconsistent. And we've already talked about the seocndary. Oh, the secondary...

But all that said, we are 13 games in this season, and I see the Vikings defenders doing the same thing they were...or actually weren't...doing in week one. Generally poor tackling form, linebackers leaving the middle of the field wide open, allowing swing passes out of the backfield to go for big yardage. Safeties nowhere near the ball...ever, really.

Yes, I know coaches can only do so much, and players have to execute the gameplan, but is Pagac getting through to his players? Is he developing a solid game plan to put the players in position to succeed? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it.

While they are league average or a little better in most statistical categories (yards, first downs, first down percentage) they are 30th of 32 teams in scoring defense, and dead last in interceptions. And this is a 180 degree flip from years past--the Vikings would be near the bottom in most statistical categories, but were near the top in scoring defense, which at the end of the day, is the only statistic that really matters, isn't it?

Spagnuolo, although a bust as a head coach here in the Gateway To The West (or as I like to call it, the third most dangerous city in the world), he was a top notch defensive mind before getting his shot. He had defenses that were known for their aggression, and his defensive gameplan in the Super Bowl against the then-unbeaten Patriots will be studied for years in film rooms across America, much as military leaders replay the Battle of 73 Easting or Operation Overlord.

In 2008, he has one of the most aggressive defenses in the NFL, finishing 5th in total yards and scoring. Before he was a defensive coordinator, he learned his craft under legendary Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who took mayhem and aggression to new levels in NFL defenses.

And that's the one thing that really bugs me the most about this defense, the passivity. Maybe they're limited in what they can do because they don't have the talent to do everything they want. And that's understandable to an extent. It's difficult to call a blitz when you know you're exposing your already bad DB's to one on one coverage, for example.

It just seems like the VIkings sit back and react, as opposed to trying to make the offense adjust to what they're doing.

And maybe a new DC might be the right call here.

What's the best part of our defense? Easy. Defensive Line, esp. the pass rushing ends.

What did Spag use to beat an undefeated Pats team in the super bowl which ultimately earned him his coaching job in St. Louis? A defensive line that excelled at getting after the quarterback.

I think he could do a good job at DC for us. He was one of the best DC's in football before taking that job in St. Louis. Pagac has no business being a full fledged DC in the NFL and I'de rather have Spags than Del Rio or Singletary.
    Last edited by WIPurplePride; 12-14-2011 at 07:11 AM.

vCash
    ................ Fire them all !!!!............

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin31 View Post
    While I would not be upset if Musgrave got canned, I am for bringing him back next year. While I do agree that his personnel decisions are more then questionable, my main concern is Ponder's development. Ponder is not the kind of guy that will thrive in any system and changing to a new one is sure to have the Alex Smith effect on him.
    Yeah, I somewhat agree with you, but if he is going to be gone this year or next I'd rather have it be now.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Ya it's been a rough 1st year for our coaching staff that's for sure. I was on this rant about 3 weeks ago and have cooled on it. I think they need 1 more season.

I agree with all of you though about Rudolph not seeing enough snaps.
    I think the new guys can learn, but Musgrave has been around long enough in the position he is in that he shouldn't need to be this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Mets View Post
    ................ Fire them all !!!!............
    Little harsh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WIPurplePride View Post
    What's the best part of our defense? Easy. Defensive Line, esp. the pass rushing ends.

What did Spag use to beat an undefeated Pats team in the super bowl which ultimately earned him his coaching job in St. Louis? A defensive line that excelled at getting after the quarterback.

I think he could do a good job at DC for us. He was one of the best DC's in football before taking that job in St. Louis. Pagac has no business being a full fledged DC in the NFL and I'de rather have Spags than Del Rio or Singletary.
    I really don't think Spags is going anywhere. I think he has 1 more season left to start showing some improvement. Sam Bradford has absolutely stunk & it's amazing how he has fallen. His fate lies in his hands.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    I agree with getting rid of the whole coaching staff and our front office. We need one man with power. Its like working at some office, if you have a ton of different departments, it takes so long to get things done/approved, so long to inform everyone, and creates more uncertanty because of all of the different moving parts. I like frazier as a person but he is NOT head coach material

We need 1 guy with all the power. 1 guy to take the glory or the blaim. with that, i think the assistant coaches and the players would be more confident in what they do because this is THE Man, THE BOSS so to speak.

I know wilf wont want to pay 3 head coachs but its a business and sometimes you gotta take hits to succeed.

With all of that said, there are SO many coaches who have had success to some extent that we could go after.

1. Cowher
    - Would bring very good dicipline to this team and a hard core attitude like the ravens and steelers have.
    2. Fisher
    3. Gruden
    4. Mike Martz
    - I know Martz offense is pass happy but give him control of the players we bring in, he will bring in the needed pieces. He also may help Peterson reach his FULL potential, turn him into forte/faulk maybe.
    - I would take even Martz over frasier and this staff.

ANY of these coaches would be huge upgrades over what we have. Frazier is not going to win a superbowl here. He just wont and those that think he could, are just fooling themselves. I just dont get what Wilf thinks, why does he keep going through with these stupid coaches? Just cut your losses, spend the money and hire someone who has had success as a head coach somewhere!!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast