Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

WWE Roundtable Discussion Post Survivor Series Edition

Welcome to ProSportsDaily.com's Round Table discussion group. This is a continued series here at PSD where we pose a question to our writing staff and they answer.

This week we bring you questions regarding the current landscape of the WWE post Survivor Series. We asked each member to write up a brief summary of how they think the series will unfold. We left the criteria vague on purpose. Hope you enjoy! Any critiques, insight or retorts are very welcome.

1) Your Thoughts on Punks 1 year title reign so far

Dmac:
    It's pretty amazing with all the title changes that WWE has done the last few years that they had the patience to stick with one guy for a whole year. The title changed hands something like 6-8 times in a span of around six months last year. The title hasn't been this relevant in a long time.
    LionsFan...LOL:
    1. Punk’s championship reign has been anything but normal. The high point has to be the feud with Jericho leading to Punk getting his signature Wrestlemania win. The summertime feud with Daniel Bryan lead to some thrilling matches but eventually sank due to the love subplot between Bryan, Punk, Kane and AJ. Even before the love nonsense we were starting to see signs of Punk’s character fading from the renegade rebel to the stereotypical boring babyface. WWE’s decision to make Punk a heel and take out The Rock on the 1000th episode of Raw was a critical move in rejuvenating interest in the Punk character and getting interest back to the belt. Renewing the classic feud from the previous summer we saw Punk and Cena match up again at Summersam along with the Big Show and Punk came out on top. Taking down Cena again at Night of Champions, Punk moved on to his next opponent Ryback, setting up the belief that he may be finished as champion. Aligning Punk with Heyman made the transition during this period easier as Heyman is a slimy, nasty, scumbag of a manager and having Punk associate with him makes Punk the scumbag. The title reign started hot, really sunk towards the summertime but is showing signs of recovery with the infusion of Heyman, and with the match up with Rock coming up in January, we can expect bigger things to come.
    More-Than-Most:
    Meh.... They want to make the titles more important and keep them on guys longer but he still always played 2nd fiddle to guys like Cena/Rock/Lesner/Trips/Taker. Him holding the title this long does not matter if he is not always main eventing. That title should be the focal point of the company but until recently really hasn't been.
    CB29:
    First and foremost, I’d like to say that quantity does not constitute quality. CM Punk has held the title for a calendar year but that doesn’t mean that it’s been a great reign or that he’s been exceptional. The way that I would describe Punk’s reign would be ‘consistent’. I don’t think that he’s brought something extraordinary in each rivalry but I think that he’s always been consistent. I’m far from his biggest supporter on this website but I definitely appreciate his contribution to WWE in the past year.

I have no doubt that my favorite moment of his reign was when he blind sighted The Rock. It was an exceptional heel turn moment that didn’t amount to much afterwards. I’m a Paul Heyman fan but I’m not a fan of what they’ve done with the duo so far. I didn’t get the point of sticking Heyman with a guy who’s strongest asset is his mic abilities. Hopefully this association with Punk culminates into a stable with Ambrose/Rollins/Reigns but who knows with WWE? Apart from the moment with Rock, 2012 has been as dynamic a year for CM Punk as 2011 was. Last year, we had his pipe bomb promo, the MITB stipulation, Nash power bombing him at Summer Slam and his title win at Survivor Series. This year has not been as successful a follow-up as the only moments that really stick out to me are the heel turn and Heyman’s re-debut.

However, the thing that I will take away from Cm Punk’s title reign is a very significant one and that is the focus being placed on the title again. If nothing else, CM Punk has bestowed a certain degree of prestige on the WWE title with this year long streak and constant promo’s of his invincibility as WWE champion. He’s definitely cemented his place atop this company and in the list of one of the better WWE champions in history. It’ll be interesting to see whether he can deliver in a prestigious main event match against “Dwayne” at the Royal Rumble and whether it will amount into a match with the Undertaker at WrestleMania.
    Mbellz308:
    It's been up and down to me. When he first won the belt he was great his "shoot" promo was great. But then like Vince always does he has a great heel that people like and he turns him face. As a face with horrible yellow shirts he was horrible and Im talking John Cena horrible to me. Now they put him with Heyman and he has been nothing but money to me. It seems like they are turning him into this era's HBK so I can only hope Bryan vs Punk is Hbk vs Hart 2.0
    Riv:
    Surprising. There could have been numerous times where CM Punk could have dropped the belt and the WWE has decided to stay with him. He is one of the few champs I can remember that was both a face and heel during his title run. CM Punk isnt the prototypical WWE Superstar but Vince is sticking by him which is surprising. Ive enjoyed his feuds with jericho/bryan/cena and ryback he has made the wwe title interesting again like he promised IMO he just cant get over the hump as the man and the vocal point of the show.
    2) What do you expect from Ambrose/Rollins/Roman Reigns?

Dmac:
    It's nice to see some new blood. I'm interested to see where they go with this. They could align with Heyman and Punk, or they could do what they did a few years ago and have a new Nexus. That was a good angle the first time, but they pulled the plug too quickly. If they go that route I would keep it as those three and add a leader like Barrett if they don't align with Punk.
    LionsFan...LOL:
    I’m expecting a slow, gradual build for Mr. Ambrose, Reigns, and Rollins. Early on (likely tonight or the coming weeks) I expect them to align themselves with Heyman and Punk forming a stable. I don’t for see them doing much more than being ringside with Punk and doing run ins when the refs back is turned to either save Punk or to beat down one of Punk’s opponents. After Wrestlemania season towards the Summertime I expect signs of breakdown amongst the members of this stable and eventually one will break off as the babyface to feud with the others. Towards the end of next year if all is done right I expect to see at least one of the members to have a PPV match with Punk, similar to what happened to evolution. Eventually they’ll come to ahead, possible Royal Rumble 2014 and the group itself will disband. Setting up one of the faces to face Punk at Wrestlemania and the other to either side with the face or go off and feud for a mid card belt. The last remaining member I see being Punk’s aide until he gets the short end of the stick and gets beaten up by Punk probably after Wrestlemania if not after the match.
    More-Than-Most:
    Similar to the nexus with 1 of the 3 becoming a future star while the other 2 fade into the background and either be low level guys or off the roster entirely.
    CB29:
    I’ll admit I don’t know very much about Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose but I’ve definitely heard their names (Well, not Roman Reigns). But I’m definitely intrigued. I saw the promo that Ambrose delivered to Michael Francis Sr. (AKA Mick Foley ☺) and I definitely saw a lot of potential in the guy. I think that these guys have excellent potential to be honest and I think that they’re in the right place at the right time. Paul Heyman is a unique presence in the wrestling world. Association with him lends instant credibility to an individual as it did to Rob Van Dam during his debut in WWE and Brock Lesnar in 2002. Heyman is a weasel and in my opinion there’s no better heel than a weasel with a big group of credible heels defending him. This trio of Rollins, Reigns and Ambrose have earned instant credibility by taking out Ryback but that will disappear as quickly as Vince Mcmahons bank account during a Linda Mcmahon campaign if these guys get obliterated by Ryback at the next pay per view. I think that you have to make them feast on other wrestlers. You have to make them into Punk’s henchman if you want credibility for them because quite simply put there’s no room to push them as single’s wrestlers.
    MBellz308:
    Ambrose - Top midcard heel. I don't really see how he can work in the "pg" era has a psycho but I've seen enough of promos to think he will make it work.

Rollins - STAR. He will be a Jeff Hardy/Cm Punk mix and will be over in no time with his moveset. Book it write it down sig it whatever you need to but on 11/26/2012 "Seth Rollins will be a mega star in wwe".
    3) Who have you seen the most growth out of since Jan 1 2012?

Reigns - I have no idea what to expect from him but he does have the look to be atleast a mid carder
    Riv:
    I think that the WWE will ruin there angle and there must watch angle by after the rumble. the group will start to falter and we will see who the real star is out of the group.
    3) Who have you seen the most growth out of since Jan 1 2012?

Dmac:
    3. Has to be Ryback. I'm not really a fan of his (I didn't really like Goldberg either) but there is no denying the fans are getting behind him and he is getting over. The Goldberg chants have pretty much stopped and I don't think it's a stretch to say he is the #2 face in the company right now.
    LionsFan...LOL:
    The most growth out of any superstar since the start of 2012 for me has to be Daniel Bryan. He went from the IWC hard on to a guy who also can get over with the crowd. He, and the WWE writing staff managed to take the disaster that was the WHC championship match at Wrestlemania and salvage his career. Many were proclaiming DB done with the WWE after that, when in reality it turned to be a blessing in disguise. He was able to get over as a man who lost his sanity and had to go to anger management. This led to the hilarious Team Hell No pairing with Kane. The pairing of these two also includes one of PSD’s favorite moments: “I am the tag team champion!” “No I’m the tag team champion!” Not only that but they have also managed to bring back legitimacy to the tag team championship belts. Once could say that going from WHC to tag champions is a huge fall but for the Daniel Bryan character it has been a blessing in disguise, and cementing himself as a WWE mainstay for years to come.
    More-Than-Most:
    AJ and its not really close...Ziggler is Ziggler and he can sell but we havent seen much more because we do not know if he can do it without vicky. DB is DB and was great from start to finish but AJ has been the one to own it in almost any role she has been put in.
    CB29:
    I don’t think that I’ve seen a spectacular year out of anyone to be honest but I’ll put a couple guys who have exceeded my expectations.
    A) SHEAMUS: I’m not a fan of Sheamus at all. But I think that any fan of his must have been happy with him this year. Winning the Royal Rumble was a big step for his credibility and longevity within the company. He’s had some good matches as well too except for the squash against Daniel Bryan at WM which completely backfired for the WWE as it propelled Daniel Bryan into stardom. Sheamus while in the background had a very successful WHC title reign and he put on some very underrated matches against the likes of Big Show (Hell In A Cell), Daniel Bryan (Extreme Rules), and Del Rio (Money in the Bank).
    B) Ryback: I’m not a Ryback fan as well but there’s no denying that the guy is here and is one of the best things going in the WWE right now. He is a monster undoubtedly and WWE has booked him extremely well with the exception of the fact that he leads his own chants (I mean seriously. Who the hell does that?). I expect him to grab a WHC title next year but I’m almost certain that they’re not gonna but the WWE belt on him until he can prove that he has a good match in him. He has a few good moves but unless he can offer something else to the audience, he won’t last more than a year.
    MBellz308:
    Reigns - I have no idea what to expect from him but he does have the look to be atleast a mid carder
    Riv:
    Easy, AJ Lee. She started out this year as this little known quiet girl who was daniel bryans girlfriend to the IT girl of the WWE and a mainstay on Monday Night RAW. Her segments with punk/bryan/kane were memorable her physco chick faces were classic and her being a GM maybe wasnt the greatest move but it just proves how important AJ has become being the #1 diva in the WWE.
    4.) What do you expect from dolph when he cashes in his MITB? Will he be champ and how long? How do you see his character evolving with the title?

Dmac:
    I think Dolph cashes in at TLC. Where they go from there I don't know. I'm hoping he holds it until Mania and someone like Orton or Bryan challenges him. A Bryan/Ziggler match has alot of potential. I think he needs to break away from Vicki at this point though and fly on his own. He is starting to do his own promos now. He isn't great at them, but he certainly isn't terrible.

With a little more work at it he can be above average. He reminds me of Michaels when he was starting out his singles career. They had Sherri manage him and do the talking for him. He worked on his interviews and got very good at it. I think Dolph will improve at it, and it's time to pull the trigger and see what he can do with the belt.
    LionsFan...LOL:
    Dolph Ziggler winning MITB came as to no surprise to anyway. The man simply is ready to win that and in turn win the WHC. He has the wrestling skills, the charisma, and solid mic skills that will make him a good champion. In the end it doesn’t matter how you do it, the key is to entertain the fans and Dolph does that. The question now is when does he win the championship and how long will he have the belt? For me I see this very similar to the Daniel Bryan situation from a year ago. Like Bryan last year, Ziggler has been on a long losing streak and putting other guys over. I see this as WWE’s way to try and make the fans forget about him so when he does cash it in it’ll be a stunner to everyone. Again like Bryan, I see Ziggler cashing in the MITB at TLC, ironically enough on Big Show. Sheamus will lose to Big Show and in a fit of rage Sheamus will lay Big Show out. This will lead Ziggler to come in, cash the briefcase in and win the WHC. I see Ziggler holding the belt up to Wrestlemania at the very least and possibly losing to the Royal Rumble. If not he’ll hold on to it until the next major PPV where he’ll drop it to a big name. I don’t think we’ll see a major change in the show off character. The one thing I do want to see is Ziggler winning clean as a heel once in a while. Not every single heel needs to be a coward who only wins by cheating. Alas I think they’ll make him the coward who takes the easy way out.
    More-Than-Most:
    If he can get heat like the miz did he could be amazing with his in ring ability and his ability to sell. Miz when he did it had the heat plus the mic skills and image...The one thing miz was lacking was in ring ability. I think Ziggler can and will be the best in the business only if he can draw heat and that is still a big question mark.
    CB29:
    Dolph perplexes me. I really like the guy but I think that his time is not now. I think that he’s gonna cash it in at TLC but honestly if I were WWE, then I would hold it off at Wrestlemania. The guy has it all. He can talk, wrestle and entertain. I see a little bit of Flair and a little bit of HBK but he’s got a long way to go before he can put it all together. The problem is that atWM there’s way too many big names floating around WWE to have him in a match that’s gonna seem important to the average fan. That’s why I think that it’s better that he cashes in at WrestleMania to win the title at such a prestigious time and in front of so many people watching.
    MBellz308:
    Well most known my views on Dolph. I think he is going to be a star and already is. Get hima way from Vickie and let him run free.
    Riv:
    I Think Dolph has all the tools to be a star but his name is going to hold him back for his entire career. Dolph Ziggler is just a goofy name and it doesnt scream world champion, face of the company or even "bad ***" despite the mans talent. I think he cashes in at TLC or the rumble and drops the belt before mania inside the elimination chamber setting up a different feud for the WHC for WM.
    5) Who is your early prediction to win the Royal Rumble?

Dmac:
    My first instinct is to say Ryback wins the Rumble. I don't know how that would play out though because If he goes for the WHC, a Ryback/Ziggler match isn't really a Mania match. I could see them doing a Show/Ryback for the title, but I don't see Show keeping it that long, or Ziggler waiting until after Mania to try and cash in. I think Ryback is still my pick for now, I'm just not sure how it will play out.
    LionsFan...LOL:
    The early favorite for me to win the Royal Rumble is CM Punk ironically enough. The WWE has been building up The Rock being at the Royal Rumble and wanting to walk into Wrestlemania as the WWE champion. Through Cena’s help or some other sort of interference I see The Rock escaping Punk/Heyman and the stable and winning the WWE championship. Which then leads me to seeing Punk come in late and through help of his stable mates win the Rumble and set up a Wrestlemania re-match with The Rock, with Punk coming out back on top.
    More-Than-Most:
    Punk/Cena
    CB29:
    The Royal Rumble is my favorite PPV of the year. This year, it seems like there’s going to be a lot going for it as a full card. I have 2 guys who I think will win it. John Cena or Randy Orton. It’s really tricky to say at this point which of them I like more but it’s a close call in my opinion. Randy’s been under the radar for a while now and he hasn’t had any interaction with any of the big names that are coming in to WWE. He certainly could use the rub from winning the Royal Rumble and going on to face whoever the WHC champion is.

Cena on the other hand could win in order to set up a match with The Rock for the title if Rock defeats CM Punk at the Royal Rumble.

Other prospective winners include: Undertaker (Punk retains and Undertaker comes back to win the rumble so it’s title streak vs WM streak).

What I’m hoping happens is that Rock wins at the Royal Rumble against Punk and Lesnar wins the Royal Rumble so we get Rock vs Lesnar, Undertaker vs Punk and Cena vs Ryback at WrestleMania.

at this point if your sticking a gun to my head i would predict John Cena Will win the royal rumble
    Mbellz308:
    John Cena or wait for it................................................ .................................................. .............................................SCSA
    Riv:
    Daniel Bryan! YES! YES! YES! YES! This is the WWEs way IMO to pay back Daniel Bryan for losing in 18 seconds and giving him his wrestlemania moment after being on the wrong end of one last year. Daniel Bryan has skyrocketted the fans are behind him and what better way to pay him off for his hard work than for him and the fans to mark out for a Bryan win and scream YES! you can easily get the titles off bryan/kane before bryans match at the rumble v dolph or imo more likely randy orton
    Last edited by Riveramk2; 11-26-2012 at 06:06 PM.

First Sim League Title!

vCash
    And I thought I was the only one who wrote essays for each question

Catches: 3 Yards: 38 TDs: 0

vCash
    Why was I never informed of such a thing

Chris Bosh signing for the max will do this to Rockets fans

vCash
    Sorry htown i was trying to keep it exclusive when i made the thread i thought it was to many people lol

What do you guys think? What are your thoughts? I want to bring this thread back for around the rumble

First Sim League Title!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveramk2 View Post
    Sorry htown i was trying to keep it exclusive when i made the thread i thought it was to many people lol

What do you guys think? What are your thoughts? I want to bring this thread back for around the rumble
    Well when narrowing it down why wasn't I considered or is this something that dates back to before the Mastodon era

Chris Bosh signing for the max will do this to Rockets fans

Dmac is offline Moderator Cullen Bohannon
    vCash
    It was a good idea. I would like to continue it.

vCash
    Same.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    I'm up for it if we do this again, it was fun to put those essays together. It really helps people see how each individual sees the product and how we things we see going.

The one thing I was surprised about was the difference in choices for most improved. AJ, DB, Sheamus, all were solid choices.

Catches: 3 Yards: 38 TDs: 0

vCash
    I thought Vincent was going to do this?

vCash
    We definitely should do this again

Props To CheapTrikz For The Sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I thought Vincent was going to do this?
    Vincent has gone MIA

First Sim League Title!

vCash
    Does anybody miss Vincent

Props To CheapTrikz For The Sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crom-Viscera:24476202
    Does anybody miss Vincent
    Vincent33 is one of my favorite reads in the wrestling forum his insight and view on wrestling is pretty awesome

First Sim League Title!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveramk2 View Post
    Vincent33 is one of my favorite reads in the wrestling forum his insight and view on wrestling is pretty awesome
    Same here. Hopefully he will get in on the next one. He is an entertaining fella as well.

vCash
    Can anyone be in the roundtable? Or did we have to sign up and I missed it!
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast