Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Longoria's deal has no effect on Wright, I'm just shocked the Rays are committing that much money to him, even if it isn't for 4 more years or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Longoria's deal has no effect on Wright, I'm just shocked the Rays are committing that much money to him, even if it isn't for 4 more years or so.
    Franchise guy...

The Mets should follow the example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Franchise guy...

The Mets should follow the example.
    They are winning though, but yeah if the Mets can't re-sign their franchise player, they are a disgrace to baseball and NYC.

vCash
    They are winning though, but yeah if the Mets can't re-sign their franchise player, they are a disgrace to baseball and NYC.
    Perhaps to NYC. Regardless, $20 million is too high of an average annual salary for Wright unless pissing at least $2 million/year into the wind is someone's favorite hobby. $16m/year average annual salary seems low to me since DW plays in NYC. An average of $18m/year to me is a compromise between both parties that should be attainable -- especially if the duration is a year or two shorter. If Wright rejects a 5+ year offer like that, he's a goner imo.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Perhaps to NYC. Regardless, $20 million is too high of an average annual salary for Wright unless pissing at least $2 million/year into the wind is someone's favorite hobby. $16m/year average annual salary seems low to me since DW plays in NYC. An average of $18m/year to me is a compromise between both parties that should be attainable -- especially if the duration is a year or two shorter. If Wright rejects a 5+ year offer like that, he's a goner imo.
    Would you let him walk over 12-14 million cumulatively over 6-7 years?

I don't think that should be a deal breaker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    If thats the case you trade him. The wilpons don't have much money to spend. Seven years at 140 mil would cripple the team financially.

$20M per year is not crippling at all, unless you're financially incapable of funding a baseball team.

vCash

Why is $20M too high, but $18M is fine?

Wright will be a goner for one reason and one reason only, the Coupons won't pay him what he's worth.

How is $18M or so over 6-7 years for THE TEAMS BEST EVER POSITION PLAYER a big deal? sounds more like an excuse to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    He was already offered $110 for 6 years, David countered for 7 years for $140.
    and they should compromise...7 years and $110 Mil...that way, DW gets the years that he wants; and the Wilpons give up the money that they want...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I honestly don't know how someone can say "I don't want 110 million dollars. Offer me more." I know that it's a business and blah blah blah, but it sounds insane when you think about it.
    Yeah.

This more than anything else is whats making me question my fandom.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I honestly don't know how someone can say "I don't want 110 million dollars. Offer me more." I know that it's a business and blah blah blah, but it sounds insane when you think about it.
    It's an ego thing. Would you want to see other workers that aren't as good as you making more money than you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah.

This more than anything else is whats making me question my fandom.
    Ehhh. That stuff never really bothered me. The owners have a lot more money than the players do. And some of those guys were born with silvers spoons in their mouths and didn't even need to do anything to earn the money.

Anyway, as for the Longoria deal. It's sorta related to Wright, but not completely. Longo was signed through 2016...the Rays really didn't have any need to do this right now and take on excess risk...but they did...so for committing this much earlier than they really have to they save money. If Longo was a soon to be FA he'd likely be getting more than 100/6

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Why is $20M too high, but $18M is fine?

Wright will be a goner for one reason and one reason only, the Coupons won't pay him what he's worth.

How is $18M or so over 6-7 years for THE TEAMS BEST EVER POSITION PLAYER a big deal? sounds more like an excuse to me.
    What is he worth?

He's not worth $18m/year imo. An average of $20m/year over 5+ years would be ridiculous.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    What is he worth?

He's not worth $18m/year imo.
    Sure he is lol. Michael BOURN is probably going to get that much in FA. No one gets paid what they are worth these days.

vCash
    Sure he is lol. Michael BOURN is probably going to get that much in FA. No one gets paid what they are worth these days.
    He probably is not.

vCash
    What is he worth?

He's not worth $18m/year imo. An average of $20m/year over 5+ years would be ridiculous.
    He might not be but if they are ok with 18 million a season over 5+ years i don't see how 20 million annually will be a deal breaker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast