Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

How will Longoria deal affect Mets' negotiations with Wright?

Rays, Longoria reach extension

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP)

Tampa Bay Rays third baseman Evan Longoria has agreed to a new contract through 2022 that adds six guaranteed seasons and $100 million.

CHANGE OF SCENERY

See which players and managers will work in a new city in 2013.

The agreement announced Monday with the three-time All-Star incorporates the remainder of the 27-year-old's existing contract, which called for him to earn $36.6 million over the next four seasons. The new deal includes a team option for 2023.

''We drafted Evan in 2006 with the belief that he and the organization would grow with each other and together accomplish great things,'' Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg said in a statement. ''That is why the Rays and Evan signed a long-term contract in 2008, and it is why we are extending our commitments. Evan has clearly become a cornerstone player and a fixture in our organization. We are proud of what we have accomplished these past seven years, and I expect the best is yet to come.''

Just six games into his major league career, Longoria agreed in April 2008 to a $17.5 million, six-year contract that included club options potentially making the deal worth $44 million over nine seasons.

''Evan has all of the attributes we seek in a player,'' Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said. ''His determination and work ethic inspire others around him. He is devoted to his craft and strives to improve himself every year, and he defines success in terms of team performance and achievement. It's exciting to know that Evan will be manning third base for the Rays for many years to come.''

Rays at a glance

Looking for the latest on the Rays? Get the schedule, scores, standings and more right here.

Tampa Bay selected Longoria as the third overall pick in the 2006 amateur draft, making him the first player drafted under Sternberg and Friedman.

Longoria played in just 74 games in 2012 because of a partially torn left hamstring. He underwent a minor procedure on the hamstring Nov. 20 and is expected to be ready for spring training.

Tampa Bay was 41-44 during Longoria's absence, and 47-27 with him in the starting lineup.

The two-time AL Gold Glove winner and 2008 AL Rookie of the Year ranks second on the Rays career list with 130 home runs, third with 456 RBIs and fourth with 161 doubles. Longoria is one of 11 active players to average at least 25 homers and 90 RBIs during his first five seasons.

Longoria will donate more than $1 million during the contract to the Rays Baseball Foundation, the team's charitable foundation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...tension-112612
    How much do you think this will affect the negotiations between the Mets and Wright? Will it set a precedent?

vCash
    I believe the Zimmerman deal is more of a precedent than the longoria deal.

If the Mets do sign Wright to an extension I believe it will be somewhere in the middle as far as annual salary.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    I believe it will help. Longoria ends up at 37 years old making an average 16.7 million per year. Should david Wright get more than that? I don't think so. I'd offer him the same package: 6/100

vCash
    Very similar to Zimmerman's extension (6/100), but since Longoria's extension won't start for four more years, the average of $16.67 million/season won't be worth as much as it is now. I speculate Wright's next contract will pay him an average of $18 million/year for 5 years which would be hefty, but this is NY and not Tampa or DC. Keeping the term at 5 years would likely be more appealing to SA. But numbers like that might prompt SA to deal DW. We shall see.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-26-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    He was already offered $110 for 6 years, David countered for 7 years for $140.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    If thats the case you trade him. The wilpons don't have much money to spend. Seven years at 140 mil would cripple the team financially.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    If thats the case you trade him. The wilpons don't have much money to spend. Seven years at 140 mil would cripple the team financially.
    I could see him signing 6 yrs for $114-117 million with an option of 17 million and a buyout of 5 million.

That should get it done.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    I could see him signing 6 yrs for $114-117 million with an option of 17 million and a buyout of 5 million.

That should get it done.
    Something in that neighborhood sounds reasonable (in light of Longoria and Zimmerman's deals).

vCash
    I could see Wright taking 6/110 with a NTC

But I don't see the Wilpons offering a NTC because they are always scheming these days
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    I honestly don't know how someone can say "I don't want 110 million dollars. Offer me more." I know that it's a business and blah blah blah, but it sounds insane when you think about it.

vCash
    How bout 6 Years $120?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I honestly don't know how someone can say "I don't want 110 million dollars. Offer me more." I know that it's a business and blah blah blah, but it sounds insane when you think about it.
    I kind of does, but the agents are the ones negotiating, not David. And I'm sure they think they can get more.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Whatever it is, I just hope it gets done soon.
    Even if it's a trade.

Wright has been a part of the losing, need to put players around him, or bring other players to replace him.

I don't care, just want a good team.

vCash
    I have not seen any credible reports that described the terms. Where did you find these numbers? $110m/6 is inline with my estimate of $90m/5 as each pays an average of about $18m. I think that is a reasonable average per year for DW. I don't think an average of $20m/year is reasonable. If that's what DW wants....eh, that may be too rich for SA's tastes. Mine too.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I have not seen any credible reports that described the terms. Where did you find these numbers? $110m/6 is inline with my estimate of $90m/5 as each pays an average of about $18m. I think that is a reasonable average per year for DW. I don't think an average of $20m/year is reasonable. If that's what DW wants....eh, that may be too rich for SA's tastes. Mine too.
    -Metsblog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast