Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Calvin Johnson breaks record (single-season receiving yards)

Johnson also became the only player with 100 yards receiving in eight straight games and the first with 10 receptions in four games in a row in league history. He had 11 receptions for 225 yards, giving him 1,892 this season with one game left. Rice had 1,848 for San Francisco in 1995.

Awesome... When his career is over, he will quite possibly be the best WR to ever play the game

YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

Congrats! All us lions fans had to look forward to.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Rooting for him to break 2k next week.

Aust is offline BUTLER!!!! / DOWN 25!!!!!
    Straight off ESPN lol

Stafford chucked it 56 times in this game.

Worth noting Stafford is a few passes away from breaking the All Time record for most pass attempts in a single season. Must be nice chucking it that much.
    (2/1/2015) (2/5/2017)

HOLY ****

What's so funny?

Get ready for the "If you throw it that many times ______ could break the record"

👑

Great seasons for both Megatron and AP....too bad none will make the playoffs

LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

In all seriousness, this has to be the weakest record-breaking season ever. He has not "dominated" when you watch games. It's a high volume passing office (perhaps the highest volume of all time). Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ravistarr View Post
    In all seriousness, this has to be the weakest record-breaking season ever. He has not "dominated" when you watch games. It's a high volume passing office (perhaps the highest volume of all time). Plain and simple.
    Unless my math is off, which I don't think it is, Calvin broke the record in both fewer games AND receptions. While the TDs may not be there, Calvin was more efficient this season than Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by PhlyHighPhilly View Post
    Unless my math is off, which I don't think it is, Calvin broke the record in both fewer games AND receptions. While the TDs may not be there, Calvin was more efficient this season than Jerry
    I'm willing to bet he ran WAY more routes than Rice. Making him far less efficient. Rice was able to get the number of receptions and yards he got in far, far, far less opportunities.

The 49ers threw the ball a total of 644 times all year in 1995. The Lions have already thrown it 700 times after last night.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 12-23-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Our Second Podcast Is Up! We would love your thoughts on it!

If you have images off in sigs, click here: www.CubsRelated.blogspot.com

Follow us on Twitter! @CubsRelated

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    I'm willing to bet he ran WAY more routes than Rice. Making him far less efficient. Rice was able to get the number of receptions and yards he got in far, far, far less opportunities.

The 49ers threw the ball a total of 644 times all year in 1995. The Lions have already thrown it 700 times after last night.
    Rice:
    644 attempts
    1848 yards

Megatron (at the point when Calvin broke the record):
    674 attempts
    1871 yards

30 attempt difference.

Calvin - Obviously we all know about the newish rules that favor receivers, which Calvin took full advantage of in a much heavier passing league.
    Rice - 1995 was the first season an offensive player was allowed to have a radio in their headset and because of that was an unprecedenced year for receivers (Prior to Calvin, the top 2 single receiving yard seasons in history are from 1995 (and 3 of the top 12 in NFL history), 1995 had 6 players with 1488+ yards, only 3 on pace for that this season)
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 12-23-2012 at 04:09 AM.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post

Not every pass has to go to Calvin. Just because there were more pass attempts, it doesn't change the fact that WHEN THROWN TO Calvin was able to gain more yards ON AVERAGE.

Quote Originally Posted by PhlyHighPhilly View Post
    Not every pass has to go to Calvin. Just because there were more pass attempts, it doesn't change the fact that WHEN THROWN TO Calvin was able to gain more yards ON AVERAGE.
    It also should be noted that teams were actually allowed to play defense when Rice played.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    It also should be noted that teams were actually allowed to play defense when Rice played.
    That I can agree with

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast